Beast Era (Wars/Machines/etc.) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I want one.

I need one.

How much will the actual price be?

2. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    I’m very tempted to go all in on these Legends figures. They’d go well with my CHUG G1 stuff. I am sad that I’ll probably never be able to complete the Beast Wars cast with actual Generations figures though.

3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    i mean, we do have at least the first 5 maximals in chug form so its getting there

4. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    Ew...

Useless?

What do I need (overpriced) Legends-scale Beast Wars figures for? To re-enact the few scenes they spend in the ark next to the G1 bots? Make Deluxes, Voyagers, whatever, but not either the tiniest or the biggest size out there. Freakin' 3P companies, it's either too tiny, too big, too ugly, or 2 out of the 3.

The only decent job any non-Hasbro fan / company ever did was the 3D-printed Dinobot. It looked good, filled a void in people's BW collections, and it actually looked like the character. Everything since has either been Zoids or Legends-scale figures. Why.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah count me out for any of these "legends scale" 3P figures.

Personally I'm sticking to the official products, be it Takara MP or Hasbro Generations.

I'm okay when it's just a weapon upgrade (SL-32 for instance)... but when it comes to full figures I have to draw my line in the sand both morally and financially.

That's the reason I don't have Leonidas, Doragon or Gorrira in my collection. That's also my stance on the JX at least right now... reviews may sway me either way if I'm honest.

6. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I don't really deal with third party overall, but I don't see them really being in competition with Takara at the moment. At the rate they are going, it'll be another 8-9 years before they finish the first season cast. *If* they choose to continue the season 2 cast by that point, I'm pretty sure their techniques will have improved considerably (just compare current MP to those from 10 years ago), that any season 2 character will blow this 3rd party out the water.

But if I'm going to pay for third party to be my decade-long stand-in, I want it to be an actual stand-in. This feels too small to go with the MP's, and too accurate to stand next to the generations figures. He might work with Waspinator, and mayyybe Rhinox, but Rattrap to me really looks real plain next to MP's and even the other already mentioned figures. That's not even to bring up Cheetor and Dinobot. Even Henkai Dinobot.

This figure really just doesn't have a place for me. If it's real cheap, maybe $60 CAD or less, I might be interested. But anything more than that and it really needs to feel like it belongs in my collection, and it's size kinda just hurts that for me.

And I LOVE the character and the design. I also reallllly like how the beast head looks. The metallic look to it works for me perfectly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can get the whole cast for a few hundred bucks as opposed to a few thousand, and they fit in my pocket, and I don't have to worry about them being fragile (MP) or old (originals) and breaking on me. They all fit on one shelf. I can let my kids play with them without repercussions. They're FUN.

• Like Like x 6
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The same thing you'd want any toy for? To play with?

You'd think BW fans wouldn't be scale nuts. I just think the figure looks keen and would want one purely because it looks fun and well-designed. My collection isn't a checklist of my buying toys purely to fill spots and gaps in arbitrary lineups I determined. I used to do that and all I did was end up with figures I didn't care for and a dragon I was constantly chasing but never any closer to catching.

I just want good BW toys made in this decade, and they're few and far between.

There's no room for fun in Beast wars. Only the almighty SCALE!

MPs are for scale, Legends are for play.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I think it depends on price. If I could go to the store and pick it up for $20-30, I would be all over this. No question. But I'm anticipating a price range way above this. I personally do not have the finances to pick up just about anything. I have to be picky and choosey about which figures I get because I have a budget to contend with. That is 100% where I'm personally coming from. And with that in mind my above analysis on how I feel applies.

That's fair. I think if it were a bit cheaper I'd agree with you 100%. But at the price I'm expecting it to be, I don't think it will do it for me.

At the moment I'm basically only buying MP Beast Wars, period. In an entire year I'm down to getting one or two figures. It either needs to be really cheap, or reallly appealing in order to make me change this.

10. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Every collector community I've been a part of have been the biggest size queens. Constantly talking about scale. I get so tired of it. I buy anything that's cool looking that i can afford. Mix and match from different companies and lines. I don't care as long as its cool looking. I can understand wanting consistency within a particular line, but I don't get the obsession with wanting even third parties to be in scale with the official lines. I would love this little TM Megs.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to seeing how these legends figures work out. They'd make great 'desk bots' and if scale is your thing think how well they will scale with the G1 MPs ;) 

I'm not necessarily going to by them but I'm 100% in support of them making it to market.

12. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

If another 3rd party company upscales it and improves upon it further, (better molding) I might get it as long it's not too expensive. Speaking of TM Grape Face.

13. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soooo... An entirely new figure then?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Nah, I mean like better head sculpt, and articulated hands. The rest looks pretty good.

15. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    What if the answer for MP Transmetals lies in upscaling the original molds? Tweaking them here or there for show accuracy.

The original Transmetals are all very show accurate already IMO.

Rattrap you would obviously want the backpack to rotate. Megs you want to have the thrusters rotate forwards. Cheetor's flight mode could use some gaps filled... etc. Depth Charge could compress more. Rampage could have the crab legs relocated / re-engineered. Primal would need nothing IMO except for some more articulation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

I can't believe @tigatron2002 didn't jump on this. Megatron didn't kill Dinobot. Dinobot used his last bit of power to shatter the golden disc.... suicide/ sacrifice.

But I get where you're coming from.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Haha been a busy distracted day :p 

18. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I didn't say he killed Dinobot *directly*. But he absolutely is responsible for Dinobot's death.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

He punched him pretty hard.

20. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean, face it. He had a stick, against a Transmetal. What could he possibly do?

• Like Like x 1