Beast Wars Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Intriguing...

Who are the other two supposed to be?

2. Sracsose

Sracsose Well-Known Member

Bot mode looks fantastic. Kind of like the picture Hasbro used in the potp vote. Very generations-y looking update. Not sure how I feel about the ape mode, I'm sure color will help.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    I'm not really a fan of Primals design, looks a bit Earth Wars to me, but it's interesting to see 3Ps taking more interest in BW characters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sracsose

Sracsose Well-Known Member

It does look like it takes inspiration from a combination of masterpiece, some transmetal elements (in the ape mode especially), and earth wars/potp.

I do hope we see an accurate Transmetal Primal at some point. It feels weird having two of his incarnations updated (I'd say almost flawless versions of the first season and the last), but missing the middle piece. Not that his original TM figure is bad, I still love the way looks, it could just use an update as well if for nothing more than scale.

5. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    I think that Primal gorilla mode is incredibly goofy, but I somehow like it. I'd probably buy it depending on the robot mode size and final colors.

The two silhouettes look interesting. GT-11 seems like some sort of bovine. GT-12 might be a wolf? They don't seem to immediately correspond to any existing characters to me, but if GT-12 does indeed have a wolf alt mode it's almost certainly a buy for me.

EDIT:
    Oh, so here's the answer to who the silhouettes are, as well as some designs we could maybe see. I honestly had been getting a Sideswipe and Rodimus vibe from them, but didn't think it would actually be them since I was expecting Beast era characters. I so definitely want those Jazz and Wheeljack designs made into figures.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Verno

News Credits:
    Oooo. So in that case, it's Prime, not Primal.

They're really cool!

7. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm only interested in that PowerGlide now, thats so cute.

8. Dinotrap

Dinotrap The bw collector

So who's making these? Generationstoys is it? I'm not sure I've being out all day just seeing this now, id gladly buy these for my bw collection :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

It's still Primal. If it were Prime they'd be trying to incorporate more Trukk into the Munky. (see Soundwave and his tape deck chest)

Rodimus and Sideswipe look like they could make an interesting Razorclaw and Tantrum. Wheeljack maybe for Rampage. (not to be confused for Protoform X Rampage)

Of these, I'm most interested in Jazz and Soundwave. We never did get many owls or horses out of Beast Wars, and I'm not brave enough to want to mess with Mach Kick.

10. Verno

News Credits:
    But it's not Beast Wars Optimus Primal. It's Optimus Prime, as a gorilla. He's surrounded by other G1 characters.

11. Super4Ever

Super4Ever Well-Known Member

To be fair, in the book the design is from he is listed as Beast Convoy while every other character retains their normal names and not Beast-ified ones.

12. Verno

News Credits:
    Indeed. This is like a sexy robot version of the original idea for Beast Wars with the G1 bots taking on beast forms.

13. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Whoever this Primal is supposed to be he is clearly inspired by the Beast Wars Primal design and not G1 Prime. The majority of the rest regardless of thier new alt-modes have robot modes that resemble thier G1 appearances. Look at Jazz for example, he still has what resembles a Porche for a chest, Soundwave a tape deck,thier colours also match.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    How are G1 characters with mechanical beast modes relevant to Beast Wars again? They aren't organic and definitely not Transmetals either. This is just the same stuff as G1 Dinobots and Predacons or the Decepticon Headmasters.

And that Primal is ugly as hell. Even Hasbro’s weird Earth Wars design is better looking than this abomination.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The13Primes

The13Primes Jaxius._

News Credits:
    Bought an AOE Slash today. How haven't we gotten a Dinobot 2 repaint?

16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Well they're not directly, but the main news is the Primal they are making, the other silhouettes are just an interesting aside. Of course it could be argued Beast Wars is G1, so it's all linked just depends how you explain it narratively.

I'm not a fan but I wouldn't go as far as call it an abomination, it looks well engineered and nicely detailed. Not my cup of tea but hardly worthy of burning at the stake.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Verno

News Credits:
    It's a nice touch Sideswipe being a bull, like the Lamborghini logo.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    It's more a question of design for me, if I say Beast Wars I mean organic beast modes or transorganic ones, G1 didn't have that aside from Pretender shells. So what I don't get is why make G1 characters that turn into mechanical animals. It's clearly targeted at people who like beast modes (I mean they start with Primal), yet it's not Beast Wars in design.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on these because Hasbro seems to go in a similar direction, I mean look at Earth Wars Megatron. Even the characters ingame mistake him for Grimlock from what I've heard, I made that comparison as a joke when I first saw the design. It makes me really worry about the Beast Wars-inspired figures to come.

It is nicely detailed, can't say anything about engineering based of a computer render, but the look is just awful IMO, especially in beast mode. And no, it’s not because its 3P, if Hasbro published it I would hate it the same. It's just plain ugly.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I think the super robot mecha Japanese dynamic is lost slightly when translated to plastic.

That or it's just not that interesting enough to want a toy of for me. It's just kinda hey, those are neat drawings, and then that's it. Turned into a 3D toy is just looks blocky and over detailed. Like, does it need a million little lines and squares and detects carved into the armour surface? Does that really add to the look, or would it be better served creating a more powerful silhouette and scaling the detail back for a more dynamic design?

20. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

I think these look alright, but I'd much rather have 3P Beast Wars toys going for a cartoon accurate look (Lio Convoy, anyone?)

In other news, got this pair
    [​IMG]
    Korean versions, but as far as I can tell that doesn't affect the actual toy.

• Like Like x 4