Beast wars and G1.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 0ptimus__Prime, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    I was looking at my Universe Cheetor last night and I thought of something.

There's a lot Geewuners that don't like beast wars but, Had Beast wars been released before Generation 1, Would people feel different about BW?

2. New Soundwave

New Soundwave SUXXOR

Most likely because there is nothing to compare it to. If Beastwars was the beginning and vehicles came second you would still have the same basic arguments going on now. There would still be the 'what is better beastwars or g1 polls' and the endless arguing as to who is better.

3. mecha

mecha Banned

understand, G1 had the momentum to launch transformers as a toyline...If beast wars had been the start, Transformers would have crashed and burned...especially with the craptacular followup to beast wars--beast machines...ugh.

I loved Beast wars myself...it truly pissed me off that they did not carry it a few more seasons and then we got stuck with that piss poor shit called beast machines...

4. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Please explain what you mean by this "momentum". Reason I'm asking is that as far as I know, the toys (figures themselves) were around before Transformers show was thought of in the form of Diaclone and Microman. I also question why Beast Wars would have worse than G1 if they were released first even with the follow-through of Beast Machines.

5. mecha

mecha Banned

Hasbro repacked existing toys and rebranded them as Transformers...G1 spawned additional lines..target masters, head masters, pretenders , etc....

Yes the toy lines like diaclone and microman were around but never had a huge following in The United States before Transformers released the toyline transformers and the show...

Beast wars released in G1 cartoon technology followed by beast machines would = crash and burn...would you really have been interested in BW with G1 cartoon limitations? I think not...the G1 universe was epic in the sense that they carried the story along with character and story line plots...beast wars did this somewhat in season 1 and midway into season 2...then rapidly declined after the TM2 story got started...IMO ofcourse....

I just do not think that BW or BM could have had the success that G1 had....not saying G1 did not have flaws....but no they could not have been successful as G1...IMO again...

6. ValkerieJetfire

ValkerieJetfire Member

Time Travel?!

Maybe, most of the "Trukk Munky" arguments were probably out of blind Nostalgia.

Will I would guess the Alt. mode debate would be the same, probably reversed.
    But the toon would have probably been the same as G1 but with animals I suppose.

7. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    If Beast Wars was made with the G1...I'm assuming you mean the cel animation...then yeah, there would be a chance I would have liked it if the story was just as good as shown in the late nineties. In my opinion, I think Beast Wars had something the G1 universe did not, a very competent villian a flowing storyline that progressed rather well...not perfectly...but still one of the best in TF history IMO. If that was shown back in the 80's, it would have been groundbreaking considering the number of highly incompetent villians during that time period.

I have to admit that this part baffles me. I see no reason why BW and/or BM could not have done just as well as G1. It still had the main concept of robots turning into other modes only this time it was realistic animals. And back in the 80's, it's not like an animal-character show was unheard of -- Thundercats (though those are anthro cats), Care Bears, My Little Pony, Pound Puppies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (anthro turtles), and probably a bunch of others that just aren't coming to me at the moment. I could see it not standing out as much as vehicles turning into robots, but it could still stand out.

If anything, I could see BW/BM to G1 progress like the Star Wars movies did. You see the results in Episode 4 and how it ends, and then go into prequels. Only I would hope G1 would've been done better than the Star Wars prequels. I could see BW/BM talking about the legends of Cybertron such as Optimus Prime, Prowl, the original Megatron, and whatnot.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    TFs nearly died with G1. (specificaly when they tried "Machine Wars" to revive it) BW brought it back with a bold new toyline boasting vastly improved articulation and complexity, not to mention show-accuracy in the second and third seasons, and the show was ahead of it's time. (as a lot of 90's cartoons were)

I doubt it would be that different, as BW fans would be the "geewunners" saying that G1 was not anything like before and whatnot, though if the shows were exactly the same (which they couldn't be, as BW was a sequel to G1 and lots of later episode were based directly around concepts in G1) the minority and majority would probably be reversed somewhat.

9. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    it seems simple to me. there would be less fans, i understand that, but the die hard fans would be the fans of beast wars and beast wars only ppl would be the veterans. this being said that conclusion means g1 right after beast bots, and not beast machines....

10. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

C'mon guys, there's no comparing G1 to anything of today. If you try with me, I'll smash you.

11. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    thats not even what this thread is...

12. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    Why would there be fewer fans?

And as kwickstrike pointed out, how does this relate to the thread topic?

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A few points:

G1's popularity died down due to the lack of cartoon support, the "unfocusing" of the brand and the aging of the core audience (which is why we see a shorter, uh, "product cycle?" these days before they shake everything up).

The "vastly improved articulation and complexity" wasn't that vast or complex, it was just the general progression from G2, comparable to the jump from Armada to Energon.

The Machine Wars comment is kind of off.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would become Munky not Trukk.

15. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's funny, because as a child I had very little idea of what Transformers was and its relation to Beast Wars until Armada came out, when I realised Armada was a revisiting of the original TF concept BW had changed. So as someone for whom BW came first, I must say I love it but as something separate, like all TF iterations.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    What would've happened? We'll never know.

Unless we fire up the TFW Tardis and go change us some history. :) 

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    At first glance, there seemed to be an interesting question to be had. But then, after a little more thought, this question seems rather insulting.

Then again, anyone or any thread that uses the term "GEEWUNner" just loses credibility.

18. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I don't see how it's insulting. There are lots in the fandom who refer to G1 fans as geewunners. It's stupid yes but I don't think it's insulting.

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Actually it is an insulting and demeaning term to me. Mostly because I am a G1 fan at heart, but am Adult enough to accept the other fans and their love of the other series, where as these guys who use that term are NOT mature enough to do that and resort to using that term. Most obnoxious about it is how it is spelled as to imply that we are unintelligent.

Anyway, on topic. I feel that if beast wars were released 1st in G1 style animation, I still think we would be here talking Transformers. Beast Wars, to me, is the BEST written Transformer show. Including thinking about Animated. G1 was typical for it's time period. I don't think mediorce animation would have killed Beast Wars if it was the same exact show, just animated.

20. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I can see where your coming from. I am a G1 fan myself but I don't find it insulting. But I agree it was probably put out there to upset G1 fans. I think it's more of a shame than insulting.