Beast Wars - 10th Anniversary Line

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Verno, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    To me, there are parts of the story of this line missing from public knowledge - several inconsistencies and oddities that surround this line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we got the line from Hasbro at all, but having said that, there are parts of this line that don't quite add up. Allow me to elaborate.

For starters - Transmutate.

A character that appeared in a single episode, and was as much a mystery at the start of the episode as it was at it's death at the end. But Hasbro decided to make a version of the figure and add in its pieces in the individual 10th Ann. figure line.

The first oddity of this build-a-figure is the waist/right leg piece. It's clear that this was originally going to be 2 pieces, and so we can assume that each piece would be sold with a different individual figure, but instead they came glued together, with Rhinox.

Did plans change somewhere along the way? Was the figure originally going to be properly articulated to allow more movement? Perhaps released in the Generations line? But thinking better of the idea, Hasbro chopped her up and put her pieces in with individual figures?

The end result was 6 pieces, but if the waist and right leg were to originally be separate, that would make 7 pieces - so who would the 7th individual figure have been? The line had a focus on the original incarnations of the characters (besides TM Rattrap, but I'll return to his odd inclusion later) so who would the 7th figure have been?

Tigatron and Blackarachnia got newer versions in the Telemocha Takara line, would Hasbro originally have given us another version? It was clear they were focusing on 'deluxe' sized figures, and of the original cast of 14 at the end of Season 1, of the 'deluxe' sized variety only BA and Tigatron remained.

Could Hasbro have perhaps looked at giving us a new Inferno or Scorponok? Or perhaps a 3-pack of 'Basic' figures, with Rattrap, Airazor and Terrorsaur? Between the Takara and Hasbro 10th Ann. offerings, these 5 figures were the only ones from the original 14 that remain without an updated version.

Were these ideas scrapped and traded for the inclusion of TM Rattrap? True, that TM Rattrap suffers horribly from chrome cancer, so it was a good way to replace a faulty figure, but he stands jarringly out when displayed amid his fellow 10th Ann. figures.

We got new versions of Primal and Megs, but they came with Cyber Planet Keys, so they were clearly designed for the 'Cybertron' line, or were made that way 'just in case' the 10th Ann. line failed or didn't go ahead I assume. But odder still, is that these versions came with mini-models of the Axalon and Predacon Ship. The inclusion of these 2 models was very exciting, but supremely puzzling. Were the new version of Primal and Megs not enough to entice people? Or did Hasbro know that the figures (because of their new look) wouldn't be popular so they tried to sweeten the deal? Were there more of these mini-models conceptualised? Why were they created instead of simply putting a Transmutate piece in with Primal and Megs?

Another facet of the 10th Ann. was the release of the 'BW Gathering' Comic from IDW. Simple fan service? I think not, as it led to a 2nd series 'Ascending' and 4 Source Books.

Did Hasbro underestimate the success of the line? Perhaps, as we later saw Toys'R'Us bring out the VS 2-pack, with Ultra sized Primal and Megs, which had only been released in Japan before then. With other plans shelved, all they could do to catch the tail of the wave of support was import the idea.

So what I'm really trying to get at is - I believe the 10th Anniversary concept for Beast Wars was originally much bigger, but Hasbro cautiously only gave us a smaller version of all they had planned. In the end, the line was very successful, despite the woeful colour-schemes Hasbro decked the figures out in.

All I can say is: Bring on 2016 for the 20th Anniversary!

Or just give us more BW figures in the CHUG Line!

2. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Umm, okay...
    Also, NO MORE CHUG BEASTS since everyone says they suck
    INB4 amount of text is too damn high joke

3. Verno

News Credits:
    You obviously don't own Henkei Dinobot...

4. 420bot

420bot ******

Exactly.. Henkei Dinobot is amazing.

5. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i don't get it... are you saying we shouldn't get updated beast-bots because 'everyone' hates them?

6. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Gonna say it now,

Give us an Ultra class TM Rattrap that says, "we're all gonna die".

Oh, and Dinobot is a good toy, but Cheetor was a disaster, and if they would've left the gimmick out, he could've been so so so so so much more.

7. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Hmmm..
    [​IMG]

8. dhampir46

dhampir46 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I am ready for way more beast wars figures. I don't care what line they're in.

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    oh thats a bad exzample of one that dosnt suck lol

dinobot is awsome

Though some beast wars need updates badly

Rinox, blackaracnia, trantulius (sorry they should of never sheard a mold)
    inferno by the pits inferno needs a new toy or at least a 3rd party head.

depthcharge his beast wars toy can be improved on greatly
    transmetal 2 blackaracnia agian its another its head needs improveing moment

and one that stick out the most not for its mold but maybe as a rerelease is beast wars transmetal megatron gps has clamed alot of him so makeing him agian with the gps cure would be a god send

10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Beast figures have been slow movers.

That Leo Prime was pretty heavily clearanced.

Dinobot and Cheetor were shelfwarmers.

Animated Blackarachnia was a terrible shelfwarmer.

Honestly, I'm surprised that they're making Thundertron and Kickback. Here's hoping they move...

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Transmutate would NEVER have been a single release. It didn't transform, and had NO relevance outside of the hardcore fans. That's largely why she was a build a figure: for non-fans, it was a non-factor, but hardcore fans would have bought all the figures (including double dips) to get a character that would never have otherwise gotten a figure representation.

As to a possible seventh figure...Hasbro confirmed they tried to get Ravage (the TM Cheetor retool which only saw release in Japan and in the US as a Botcon exclusive Tigertron), but were unable to locate the tooling.

Different markets, different needs. But more importantly, both were mere repaints of figures already in use, and I'd bet Hasbro had "Market concerns" with releasing them alongside the originals.
    That and the line was basically DOA for retailers so any future series (IF there were any such plans) were dumped. Wouldn't surprise me if those two were on a short list for a second series of releases.

Hasbro has confirmed most of the first series Beast Wars basics are lost. With the limited amount of investment Hasbro seemed willing to take for the line (as is, the entire line seemed a last minute deal due to fan desire at the Botcons leading to 2006), I very much doubt any new versions of Scorponok or INferno were even considered.

TM Rattrap was selected because it was his ONLY deluxe figure, and as a character, easily eclipses almost everyone except Blackarachnia who didn't see a BWX release.

What it basically came down to was trying to make the figures "worth" the premium they were asking. Remember, BWX figures were priced at $15 ($5 above your average deluxe Cybertron release). The repaints justified this with the BAF part and the DVD.

With the leaders, Hasbro not only made them a tad bigger than the average deluxe of the day (they were EXTREMELY packed on Cybertron packaging, IIRC), but the ships and the comic were intended to make them "worth" the asking price.
    The IDW comic was including primarily to cross promote elements of the brand (most average BW fans may not have even known about the comic) as well as covering for no DVD (since Primal and Megs never appeared in fiction exactly as the figures portrayed).

The VS 2 pack was done in Japan quite a while before the US got it, and even then, it hit with the BWX line proper. It didn't hit "after the fact", I actually got the pack before even completing Transmutate. Like with a lot of exclusives, it was probably a case of core retailers not wanting a $40 two pack (see below for about the retailers)

All indications point otherwise. Hasbro never had anything significant planned for Beast Wars 10th Anniversary, hence why a majority of the line was repaints (and for the record, the most show accurate some of the molds had ever been in, in some cases surpassing Telemocha). The only reason we got one was because fans were asking about it.

From the retail side, my observation was the line was dead on arrival. As is, only one of my local retailers even stocked the line (this includes 3 Walmarts, a Target, a Kmart and two Shopkos, and Shopko was the only one to stock at $5 higher than MSRP). I ultimately had to order Optimus Primal and Megatron via online stores to get them

If the line had been successful, there were still MANY more molds they could have used for releases (Silverbolt, Transmetals and even TM2 just in the deluxe range). The fact the line petered out at a mere 10 releases points to a less than stellar response from retailers and consumers.

That said, I DO think 2016 and the 20th Anniversary is probably the BEST time to tap into any Beasties nostalgia, and I really hope to see something(s) a bit more impressive than BWX.
    I'm personally hoping for some Beast Machines love myself :p 

12. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I'm still largely of the opinion the biggest hurdle for Beast Transformers is marketing, ie, they generally didn't "fit" with the message Hasbro was pushing with the lines they were featured in.
    Blackarachnia was basically the ONLY organic beast former until Waspinator slipped out at the end of the line, and didn't tie into the machine element (the Dinobots didn't do too hot either, as I recall)

Dinobot and Cheetor were out of place in the Classics oriented Universe line (and Dinobot wasn't even show accurate, dumb asses). This was compounded by the post-movie buzz which emphasis vehicles.

HOWEVER, I recall the Cybertron Beast characters really seemed to do okay in my area, certainly better than some of the Speed planet, but Cybertron actually pushed the beastformers element.

I still think if Hasbro pushed a Transformers series where organic Beasts WERE a major element, and show so in fiction, the toys would still do okay.

13. Verno

News Credits:
    I'd be very interested to know which Hasbro versions you think are more accurate that the Takara ones?

Cheetor? No.
    Rhinox? No.
    Waspinator? No.
    Dinobot? Hell no.

14. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and all I wanted was a Basic Rattrap, so the only one I bought was, damn it his name slips from my brain right now, the stupid male spider, it was the ONLY 10th ann version I saw in my area... except for rhinox and I already had 3 of him, 2 of the originals and 1 foxkids... so no need for another ...

15. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I hope I live to see the day when they release a MP Rhinox.

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I think the 10th line might of done better if they had done something different. They should of not done reissues, but made entire new figures. Make something that collectors would of went for, had Beast Wars back on TV to get the kids attention.

Instead of doing a reissue of TM Rattrap, it should of been a deluxe version of his season one self. Instead of Transmutate, Hasbro should of recreated BW Ravage as was seen from the show as a mail exclusive. If one wanted it, they had to buy blank number of figures for the right amount of box tops/stickers, ect and send them in with a certain amount of money with it.

They could of also took the time and did reissues of figures from the BW II and Neo lines. I think Big Convoy would of done better then say season one Cheetor would had, which many collectors of the Beast Era might of had.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I think a tinfoil hat might be in order ;) 

I'd love to see some new Beast Wars homages but Cheetor and Dinobot, while nice tries, were absolutely terrible. It's not too often the originl toys are better than an update that came along 1 years later.

18. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only if it comes with his REAL guns... none of the shit they gave us in the toy line..

19. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    I would be overjoyed if they rereleased stuff for the 20th anniversary, but I have a feeling it'd be more likely for the 25th, if at all.

It would absolutely be great to get reissues of the Transmetals minues the GPS...

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wonder how many people ripped Transmutate's leg off assuming it was supposed to turn. I know I sure did.

The BW10th line didn't seem to move very well in the stores, at least the 1st wave didn't. I pretty much had to rely on HTS to get the 2nd wave stuff.