Beast Wars #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Boo, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Wow. Nobody els picked this up or started a thread yet? Cool.

Well, I just finished reading it. Damn good, IMO. Nice backstory [told through flashbacks] and action in such a short period of time. Can't wait to see where Simon and Don go with this series, it's such a nice start. I was literally giggling when i went to the check-out at the comic shop with my copies.:lol 

I picked up three covers, (b)Megatron, (c)Primal, and (d)wrap-around. May go back and pick up the Magmatron one tomorrow or Friday. I just can't wait till next issue. :thumb 

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, it was probably the best TF comic I've read since WWI. Great story. Great art. I can't wait for more.

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ZacWilliam’s Beast Wars #1 review

I suppose I should say going in that I think Don is pretty much the best artist any TF comic has ever had, add to that the fact that Beast Wars was far and away the best written TF cartoon ever. Suffice it to say that this was not a “wait till I get home to read” book for me, this was 100% “read it right away in the car in the comic store parking lot” material for me. Now I’d like to take a second before starting the review proper to plead with all TF fans, and certainly all BW fans, to BUY THIS BOOK. If you don’t collect comics look up the local store, if there isn’t one, order it online, but buy it. It’s great and I want us to get MORE.

That said, it’s

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

T

I

M

E

Cover: on the regular newsstand you’ve got your choice between the many faces of BW Megs, Primal, Magmatron, or a gatefold featuring every non-show BW character in a huge combat scene beautifully illustrated by Don. Needless to say I went with door 3. I think one of the most awesome things about this series is that they’re using all the great toys that the cartoon, despite its wonderful strengths, couldn’t thanks to CGI expenses.

Pages 1-3: Magmatron narrates a quick recap of the Beast Wars for those tuning in late. This places the miniseries as taking place shortly after the end of Season 2 of the cartoon. The recap is necessarily brief, enough to let you know where we are and refresh memories. If you know nothing of BW coming in (shame on you, go buy the DVD’s, it blows recent TF toons out of the water) it may not be quite enough to get you totally up to speed, but the miniseries looks like it’s going to weave itself around the show rather than interact with it directly, so that’s not a big deal anyway, and you should be fine. Don does a good job of capturing the cast in non-CGI which I imagine could be tough.

Pages 4-6: FWASH! Magmatron, Razorbeast, Manterror, Transquito, Spittor, Iguanus, and Drillbit arrive at the Beast Wars era in a flash of light and get right to work.
    (As anyone already familiar with BW is likely aware, one of the names above is not like the others, one of these characters does not belong. But we’ll get to that later.)
    Razorbeast is to set up a transmitter array while most of the others TF to beast mode and set off to monitor the results. Drillbit, apparently Magmatrons chief aid, panics as Depth Charge emerges from the water right next to them, but Expositiontron explains that they’re all slightly chronally out-of-sinc and so can’t be seen or interacted with by the Cartoon’s cast. (A nice dodge to let the miniseries weave as much mayhem as it wants around the show without altering its events). Don’s art continues to awe. Not only does the cast here look great in bot mode, but he nails their non-robotic beast modes wonderfully as well. Also of not I think the coloring on these pages is quite nice. It’s not over done as some claimed the DW books could be but very soft and natural looking, complimenting rather than at all overshadowing the art.

Pages 7-9: Flashback to Cybertron. Magmatron addresses his pre-beast-mode troops (those from the planet and a couple of Cybertron-mode BWNeo guys from Japan as well) with a variation on Megatron’s rhetoric from BW: The Maximals are oppressing the Preds, the Pred leadership’s cowards and appeasers and HE’S the bot to do something about it. Cut to what is apparently the Pred citadel, where the TriPred. Council from the toon praise Magmatron for not being like BW Megatron and not doing exactly what we all now know his IS in fact doing. Magmatron leaves the meeting deep in thought, knowing that he must act if the Preds are ever to have a chance to retake the planet. To that end he’s contacted by Ravage (placing the flashback pre-Agenda part 3) who transmits to him tactical scans of prehistoric Earth. Don of course made his reputation in part by the Cybertronian redesigns of TFs in the first War Within mini and he gives us some really neat ones for Magmatron and his troops here. When they collect this story I hope they maybe add in some design pages featuring these. (I’d love to see his Cybertronian takes on the BW Toon cast as well BTW).

Pages 10-12: Magmatron wants an update from Razorbeast who seems to be taking his sweet time. Turns out he’s gonna be transmitting to all the stasis pods Primal jettisoned and then phasing all their occupants into match with Mag’s crew. Instant Pred. Army. Of course we quickly learn he’s stalling as we flashback to Cybertron where he was given this deep cover, screw it up and you’re on your own, assignment by a Don-designed cybertron version of LioConvoy from the Japanese BW2 cartoon. LioConvoy is apparently on a bi-faction commity with Mags, Big Convoy (from BWNeo), and what appears to be Heinrad and trusts Mags as far as he can throw him. Convoy advises him that if he has to blow his cover to stop Mags to do it and then start running. Don seems to be skirting the line of what TFs he can include by giving Japanese ones little background cameos, neat easter eggs. Lioconvoy might get away with being counted as an American character actually since I believe Hasbro sold him in the US through their website for a short time. There wasn’t any real surprise in Razorbeast since he was a Maximal toy, (and the only mammal in the bunch, of course) but I’m glad Furman decided to use him for the larger role, since he was the only original BW Maxi (not counting Bat Primal) who didn’t get to be in the show.

Pages 13-17: Mag’s patience is up and Razorbeast sends the signal. Across pre-Earth the Preds watch their new troops wake up. Retrax, Snapper, and Jetstorm are born. Sadly for Spittor, things don’t go so well in the arctic where a huge Polarclaw (the first Mega-sized maximal toy) wakes up just as Maximal as he always was. As Magmatron starts to realize he must have a traitor, Razorbeast follows LioConvoy’s advice and runs for it in beast mode. (Time for Magmatron to do some boar hunting  ) While in the arctic the fight between the giant angry polar bear and the annoying dog-sized frog goes about how you’d expect. Great art on these pages as always. As I said, Don’s nailing the beast modes just as cleanly as the robots, which is majorly impressive in my book. I also LOVE Polarclaw in action, he’s one of the toys that was always near the top of my “wish he’d been in the toon” list.

Pages 18-21: Magmatron adjusts to the new situation as fast as he can, while Razorbeast, realizing he’s dead if he doesn’t get help quick, activates a super-amplifier device in his mouth and sends a distress call to all the new Maximals he just woke up. (We see Ramulous, Snarl, Bonecrusher, B-Boom, Cybershark, and the lovably goofy Op. Minor.) Meanwhile, Transquitto sees Wolfang attack Insecticon and then gather together with Torca, Armordillo, Bantor, Noctorro, and Stinkbomb and realizes that the Preds. Now have a major problem, In response Magmatron transforms and echoes Primal’s horribly cheesy decloration about the Beast Wars from the end of the first toon. I’m embarrassed to admit this but it’s been long enough since BW that I had to look up a couple names there. Very cool. (Torca rules.) Magmatron’s final announcement is cheesy (though less so than Primal’s) but it’s a nod to the first cartoon eps so I’ll let it slide.

In Conclusion: Great, Gorgeous Art. Cool new chapter in the last great TF cartoon. Great to see neat characters that never got to be in the show get a place to shine. Can’t wait to see where things go from here. I want more. More issues. More stories, here and on Cybertron, involving BW and maybe even delving into BM down the line (bet Don and Simon could suitably refurbish the shows flaws). More Don art work is a must. I could read an issue of this for every character in the cast if he draws them, easily. In case you havn’t guessed I give the issue an “A” and don’t feel like I’ve praised it nearly enough. Um… more please. :) 

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Didnt pick it up. I may have to go back this weekend.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    best panel is Op Minor eating a banana. I had a big smile on when i saw that.

AWESOME comic.. I cannot wait for the next issue. I got three covers of this issue..

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I agree, I was chuckling at that panel as well, along with the squished Spittor.:) 

So far, fantastic art, colors and it was nice to see that the story jumped right into action!

Overall, definitely looking forward to big army BW action next issue! :thumb 

7. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Ok, lemme get the anal Negative Nancy-ness out of my system first: A couple lines of dialogue are really silly. Also, the first few pages are so packed with backstory that it's a little alienating and confusing at first.

That being said, frickin' whoa. It is so nice to have a TF book on the shelves that not only rises above mediocrity, but pretty much kicks mediocrity squarely in the balls. The art is beautiful (who knew Don drew such excellent animals?), the story is both clever and fun, and the characters are actual characters. Not a human in sight, either, which is nice. Four issues of this simply won't be enough.

8. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I like how they showed both the other beast era Convoys. Overall, damn good. I'm a bit confused by the choice of maximal leader, though. I think this is the first Basic to ever be given the leadership spot.

9. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

What happens once this series is over? Are they going to do anymore Beast Wars comics?

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Have they given the Jap convoy's western names?

11. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    They sure a hell better!

And I suspect they will... the story arc's name "The Gathering" implies that it's basically just the beginning of a new epic.

12. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

Will somebody scan the covers of optimus and megatron, please is that I will get mine in like three weeks :(  ;my comicstore sold out.

13. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Great story and great art. Loved seeing the Cybertron forms for the beast warirors.

14. Galvatron 88

Galvatron 88 The Greatest of Cybertron

All my comic shop has was optimus primal and magmatron how do you get the gatefold and the holofoil covers?????

15. DON

DON Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    thank you guys for the patience, not alot of people-no matter how much of a fan they are-would stick it out and wait for a book for over a year to come out, but you all know what happened and I'm just thankful for IDW to come along and put a defibulator on this and giving it new life

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'll check it out. I haven't enjoyed a TF comic since the Marvel days though. DW and IDW's art has been good, but all of DW's writing was complete shit, and Infiltration's writing is worse.

17. Outtsyder

Outtsyder Well-Known Member

I've got a review pending authorization in the Articles section, but if you want to see it now, it's also been posted in the "Official BW #1 Discussion Thread" over at the IDW Forums. I'm just glad this book is being produced, and while I'd love to add some more comments of my own in here, I'd probably end up just repeating what I said in my review. But it IS a positive review. :cool: 

Oh, and Senor Figueroa? Top-notch job on the art, chico. :cool: 

Outtsyder

18. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

i think i remember hearing Chris say that if it does well enough, more mini's might be on the horizon

but dont quote me on that :p  i cant remember

xD

Very pleased to hear such positive responses tho :D  :thumbs2: 

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome issue, Fantastic drawing and coloring by Don and Josh. Can't wait to see what happens next...

20. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

if you hate TWW and IDW's G1 then I honestly can't see how you can like Beast Wars since they're all the exact same level of work by Simon.