Beast Machines Ultra Jetstorm Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by highlander3000, Jul 2, 2010.

1. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I've owned two of these toys over the years and both of them have had their chrome flake off. The one I have now is even worse than the first one I owned! I really like the toy but I don't want to keep buying them if this happens. I saw one MISB at BotCon that had perfect chrome but I didn't buy it for fear that the same thing would happen.

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of this toy has this problem? It's difficult to find clear pictures of it online. I don't even know if it has chrome. Before I shell out the $80 or so for the figure I want to be sure it's not going to be another dud.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to fix chrome flaking? Or rather, how to paint the toy so that it has the illusion of chrome?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

That sucks. It seems to be a problem with the Beast Wars Transmetals toys too. I don't think there is a way to fix or stop it honestly.

I also dont think there is a Japanese version of the toy as they didn't Air Beast Machines. The got some Beast Machine toys in the form of Beast Ward Returns line.

3. highlander3000

News Credits:
    I know they did a Japanese version. It's just hard to find and I'm not sure it's any better than the US version. Strangely, I haven't seen any reviews on the toy.

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    is there not some sort of substance you could spray over said chrome to stop it from flaking (I'd quite like to do it to my BW Rampage and reissue Rattrap before they start.)

My Jetstorm has exactly the same problem. Maybe ask in Radicons as they're the people to know.

5. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, you could always repaint it with shiny automotive paint... but taht is a ton of work. Its not chrome, but its pretty nice all the same. I think some customizres here in the radicons use this exclusively, you could try seeking them out.

Or you could keep reapplying it, there are ways, but I dont really know how to do it.

6. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine did the same thing just being in a storage box. I eventually traded it away. Honestly, I have no idea if the Japanese version is any better. I suggest stripping the paint off of the chest and matching it with a testers color yourself that isn't vacumized.

7. highlander3000

News Credits:
    What makes the automotive paint so much work?

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Beast Machines Jetstorm was infamous for transmetal flaking, I assume the parts weren't properly treated to hold onto the vac-metal paint cause I've got Transmetals that have held up great over the years but Jetstorm stands around and flakes constantly. Never heard if the Beast Wars Returns version has the same problem, if it was a simple mishandling of the parts and paint then it should have been corrected.

9. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Flaking chrome sucks. I post this one every so often:

[​IMG]

I had an Ultra Jetstorm that I sold. Strangely the chrome was in great shape.

10. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I have both Ultra Jetstorm and the Botcon Cyclonus and so far so good no flaking. Like the pitcure of rattrap above, I have seen the paint flake off even when its sealed.

11. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    I've never had an issue with my Jetstorm. Optimal Optimus, on the other hand, is a different story :) 

12. combaticon164

The worst offenders for flaking are: TM Rattrap,TM2 Cheetor,TM2 Dinobot, TM Rampage,TM2 Scourge,pretty much most of the TM2.

13. highlander3000

News Credits:
    Wow. Now I'm going to have to check all my transmetals. Has anyone had any problems with the Japanese versions flaking?

14. combaticon164

I actually have to keep my loose Transmetal guys in plastic ziplock bags seperated from the other guys so they dont get tossed around in the bin. What I noticed that the original transmetals like cheetor dont flake but actually fade a little. I used clear nail polish to cover TM2 Cheetors crome parts. It actually worked as a sealer.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I had no idea Jetstorm had a flaking issue. I just picked up the Ultra and Botcon Cyclonus recently. Both were sealed when I picked them up and in pristine condition. I'll have to keep my eye on them though, now and down the road.

16. Gigastorm

Gigastorm Banned

i own the beast wars returns (Japan TRU exclusive line) jetstorm

and he does not have this problem...my botcon cyclonus so far also does not have this issue...both beast machines jetstorms that i have owned did eventually crack and flake the paint off the main chest...both were MISB when bought and stored in a smoke free house in A/c conditions...so it really is hit and miss...my botcon shockract transformer did the same crack and flake thing the other nite..when to dust him off with a swifter and all this nice shiny blue stuff decided to come off on the swifter...which sucks major ass...

17. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    My jetstorm's chrome is in tatters. My
    botcon cyclonus is misb and looks perfect. Like the mold, afraid to open him though. I recall hearing the botcon version didn't seem to be as vulnerable