Beast Machines Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OOSnake, Feb 19, 2012.

1. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

What was the deal with Megatron in Beast Machines? In Beast Wars, he loved his organic bodies and the power they gave him. But suddenly he hates organics and everything about them? I did hear an explanation that, since he merged with G1 Megs' spark, and Megs hated all organics, he developed that tedency. Or something to that effect.

Anybody have a reasonable explanation for Megatron's sudden change?

2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Always took it as a side effect of the Beast Wars. It was Megatron after all, he wasn't just going to blame himself for how the war ended. He probably just blame his alt mode instead, thus wanting to remove it from his body.

3. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I have to agree with Jetbolt; it's something you'd expect from a malignant narcissist like him.

Still, he's one of the best Megatrons ever.

4. OOSnake

He totally is. Better than G1 Megatron? Definetly, at least in my opinion.

5. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

About the only one that I can think of that rivals him is TFP Megatron.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The writers changed and the theme of the show changed. Honestly, that's the answer.

Megatron's sudden and uncharacteristic change is just one of many that show performed. People have been attempting to fannon an answer but it's blatantly obvious to me what the reason was.

Beast Machines was a great show with really good plots. It was just a HORRIBLE sequel to Beast Wars. Had they removed anything Transformers from the show, I would have nothing but praise for it.

7. OOSnake

I'd be interested in seeing the return of more robotic animals, like the Dinobots. Still with organic elements, obviously, but less like the mainly organic modes in Beast Machines.

8. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's worth mentioning that it wasn't a sudden change for him. I can't remember if they ever say exactly how long the gap between series was for him, but it had to have been a good while. Dinobot proved a Pred can change quite a bit in a few years, let alone however long it took Megs to conquer Cybertron and the Maximals to catch up to him.

9. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Back in BW season 1, he had to take on the Tyrannosaurus mode because of the high levels of energon. It was either that or die.

The transmetal surge probably mutated his power, granting him alien morphology [for a TF, anyway] and changed him to a molecular level.

Which was intensified when he changed into a TM Dragon, but he kept it due to how powerful it made him compared to everybody else.

Getting back on Cybertron, he had everything he ever wanted to upgrade his body and all, but...perhaps the alien technology on his TM II mode did not allow him to change alt.mode or scan a new one.

Which is why, fiction wise, I think he's so mad.
    But yes, reality wise, different writers, different theme for the show.

10. pitt55

pitt55 Well-Known Member

tikin had it-when megatron broke free of the maximals shuttle on the journey back and re-entered space-time on his own path seperate from the one the maximals took he arrived at the destination at an earlier time.[ dont ask me how much earlier,why earlier than later,where he ended up if it wasnt cybertron,HOW he ended up there if it WAS cybertron,ect.].either way we are shown that megatron arrived first,conqured the planet,set up his vehicon-shudder-army.an inderminate amount of time passed before the maximals caught up-i just assumed that since machinery/tech was everything there [as far as he knew] that his aversion to organics was a natural thing.he's a machine,everything around him is a machine,technology is the whole of existance on cybertron as far as he's concerned.he's trying to rule over and control all aspects of the world around him so it logically follows that he'd not want "unconquerable" organic things in his world.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    He could've had his spark transferred to a new all-machine body at any time but he was just too paranoid to risk it because the transfer between the two bodies would leave him vulnerable for a short period of time. In the end he only risked the transfer when he was stuck in the smaller and weaker drone body and had no choice but to upgrade.

Really he was kinda dumb because he had a long period of time when he was the only free spark on the planet and I'm sure he was fully smart enough to have rigged an automated system to transfer his spark over to a new body without needing the help of anyone, including his flying drone assistant. Less than a minute offline to do the transfer alone in a heavily secured and protected sealed room and he'd have been sorted and not have had that whole him being organic thing to keep distracting him when the Maximals finally arrived back on the planet.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    He was on Cybertron for hundreds of years. Being the only techno-organic being on a metal world for that long can drive a guy pretty crazy. Megatron was a pefectionist, and once he conquered the planet the only thing not perfect was himself.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The same can be said of many series transitions, and sometimes season-to-season or even episode-to-episode changes within the same series.

To enjoy television, especially cartoons or other shows aimed primarily at children, you sometimes have to willfully ignore the man behind the curtain. So there's nothing wrong with a little mental smoothing out on the part of the fans.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No there's nothing wrong with the fans finding solutions. I just hold Beast Wars up to very high standards and won't let it get away with the "it's for kids" excuse for big stuff like this.

But there's nothing wrong with others wanting the two to mesh well. It just won't work for me.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Considering how mature Beast Machines was in the wake of BW, there's obviously and in-story reason that was at least brought up. The story of the Beast Era was far too evolved at that point. Any number of these theories could be right.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love your theory Splits. I'm going with this.

17. pitt55

pitt55 Well-Known Member

@ryoku-as folks are saying,megatrons' change only seems sudden or uncharacteristic because theres a whole big chunk of his history that we missed out on.there is nothing to try and shoehorn or mesh together,it's all how it's supposed to be.the show tells us this.we dont follow megatron from the end of BW straight into BM like we do [with a little flashback assist] the maximals.sure,rattrap acts slightly "uncharacteristic" at times and so do the rest of them,look at what they thought they were coming home to as opposed to what they actually came home to-i'd be buggin the hell out not actin like my usual self too!

plus BW works perfectly fine on it's own.

18. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

True. Even though a spark transfer might've been safe security wise, it still might be a risky procedure for a Transformer do. Imagine it being the equivalent of a heart transplant. While security wise he might've been safe, I can imagine it still being a very dangerous procedure for a Transformer to go through.

To actually answer the question, my assumption is that he felt like an outsider when he returned to Cybertron. Imagine leaving Earth and being mutated some how on another planet. Could you imagine how you'd feel when you came back to Earth. I know I'd want to return back to normal.

19. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

It was ultimately Bob Skir rewriting all the characters' personalities because he wanted to. He wanted to tell his story but needed to use a bunch of carry-over characters from Beast Wars, so he just rewrote them to suit his ends. Megatron, Optimus Primal, and Rattrap got the most change. Rhinox can be tossed in there too. The only character change that seemed a good development on his part was Cheetor. The rest were negatively received.

But he isn't solely to blame. He was hired (by Hasbro or Fox?) to be the lead developer for Beast Machines and they explicitly told him to ignore Beast Wars and all TF history. He defied part of this order (drawing from TF history), but not the part people wanted him to defy. This kind of order usually precedes alienating a significant chunk of the fanbase.

Skir also created Nightscream. It was a cartoon to toy creation. One of the worst creations for a popular franchise ever, though while TF fans hate him with every fiber of their being, I still think Scrappy-Doo was far worse, followed by Jar-Jar Binks. His writing partner Marty Isenberg was wise to lay low online all these years.

As others said, Beast Machines was a great cartoon series but a horrible Transformers series. Best first-run cartoon on the air in 1999-2001, though some may feel Digimon is #1 (they're both good, though Season 3 is usually people's favorite and that was 2001-02), and if cable gets included, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls enter the fray.

20. OOSnake

Wait, how long had Megatron been on cybertron before the Maximals arrived?