Beast Machines Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ComicGuy89, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi guys! I just got this in the mail today, and I noticed that the feedback forum doesn't have a thread on him yet. I know this isn't frontpage material, but I really just wanted to share my love for this guy, so please be kind. Bear in mind, my camera is the most worthless of worthlessness. As such, this is a words review. Also if any of you guys have GOOD pictures to share, do add them.

I never owned TMII Megatron due to lack of funds last time and especially now that it has appreciated in value. Since I am a budget-conscious dragon/TF lover, I settled for the next best thing, BM Megatron. I was wary of how negative the feedback has been for this guy, but I took the plunge and was surprised at how good he actually was!

BEAST MODE
    A very good dragon beast mode with some problems you guys are already familiar with. Bad points are dragon arms that are not attached to his body, and skinny body.

Now it has many GOOD points that are often overlooked:

1. Wingspan: My gosh, this is so much fun! His multi-jointed wingspan is an impressive size, and can be posed in so many ways. While I never owned the original dragon Megatron, I believe that there are some poses that BM Megatron can do that BW Megatron cannot. For example, his wings can fold downwards, covering his body, to look menacing and intriguing. Check the (poor) pictures below.

2. Dragon head: Very, very nice! It's is fully poseable (which I am told that BW Megatron does not really have) and once you remove the spring of his annoying "lunging attack" gimmick, you can get all sorts of wicked poses!

TRANSFORMATION

Simple, but surprisingly intuitive. It was not how I expected it to be.

ROBOT MODE
    I for one, think that the poseable beast head does wonders for the robot mode! It poses very well and Megatron is very articulated in this mode (Both modes actually).

This is my personal opinion, but I think I prefer this Megatron's robot mode over his predecessor's version, because to me, it looks more coherent. It's a matter of taste, but lets say that he looks more orthodox and traditional.

Of course, there's the brilliant cape mode! This mode is very cool looking, adding a sense of mysteriousness to the character.

CONCLUSION:
    Honestly, I think the reason BM Megatron got such a bad rap was because of he was often compared to the Beast Wars version. There's no doubt that the Beast Wars version is superior, but it's also more expensive and much bigger, thereby allowing it to have more detail.

Besides, this Megatron has extremely cool wings and a poseable dragon head, two points which I feel ultimately sell this figure for me. If you're budget conscious or space conscious, but you like dragon transformers, or just the character, I highly recommend him.

For better pictures, there's Seibertron. Again sorry guys, for the lacking review, it's just that I wanted to share my joy.

Attached Files:

2. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good review :)  kinda makes me want to pick him up.

I noticed in your pics you didnt fold his hand out of his tail... do you just prefer the tail as the hand?

3. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Thanks! Yeah I do prefer his hand in, since it is shaped like a claw at the end, it resembles Transmetals Megatron's weapon. I imagine his real hand as a sort of "utility" hand for typing on keyboards and stuff, haha.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mmm, soda can mode. :) 

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got this guy and for the small size of the figure and the three modes it makes it's pretty nifty. I can see how some people might look at it and feel it's kinda crap, but they're just wrong. :p 

6. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I never understood the hate for this figure.

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    :lol 

8. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Hey, guys, thanks again for the comments.

I'd just like to add that I found it interesting that the instructions had worded instructions instead of the modern wordless diagrams that make you scratch your head as to what the heck they mean. Ah...the good ol' days.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mega pricepoint for what winds up being essentially a small deluxe. And lack of show accuracy. And not being as cool or imposing as TM2 Megatron.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    An early sufferer of "Bulkhead syndrome".

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    A lot of the hate at the time came from it being the next Megatron released after the Transmetal 2 (which was an excellent toy). All of a sudden Megatron was not only tiny (hence the nickname "Minitron") but had a gimmick that harmed his posability a lot. I'll be honest - mine spends most of its time out of packaging in robot mode with the wings folded round him.
    IMO he's not a bad toy, just... nowhere as good as he could have been.

12. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megabolt Megatron is excellent tho : ) If you don't have him, hunt him down!

13. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    Man I love this fig!
    His tail is like the spark extractor he uses! :lol 
    I have mine for sale for $15 if anyone wants him. :) 

14. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review! I never cared for this Megatron; even though I bought it at retail I sold it years ago. Megabolt on the other hand was great, floppy knees and all :lol 

15. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I don't own one of these, but I've played with one before. It successfully does what it seems to set out to do, which is deliver a show accurate rendition of Megs with his wings "caped" and wearing that helmet thing. If you want a show accurate version of the dragon mode that was rarely seen in BM anyway, well there's already the TM2 Beast Wars toy. Sure, it's tiny, but the robot mode neither has nor needs any articulation, so there's hardly any point in Hasbro trying to sell this at a higher price point.

16. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm Thundercracker fanatic

I agree

17. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should have just stuck TM2 Megatron out again in BM packaging.

This with show acurate wings? OK dlx. Not a Mega and the shower curtain ruins both modes.

18. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I never managed to get TM2 Megatron since I didn't really start collecting until RiD started. I ended up finding one of these guys on clearance, and found him pretty cool myself. Unfortunately a few years ago one of the pegs broke which makes it impossible to put him into dragon mode (I put him in storage afterwards with the intent to repair him, but never got around to it.)

Still I really like the cape/wings and love the creepy soda can mode.

19. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm Thundercracker fanatic

this was written out on my computer a week ago but i forgot to put this up here (and im customizing him but i wrote this before i started work on him) anyway onto the review

i love both beast era cartoons and the stories they had, i REALLY love transmetal 2 megatron (both in cartoon and toyality) but i loved his patchwork, torn flesh with robotics revealed beast machines incarnation (which is his transmetal 2 only what seems like a G2ish hue of magenta, purple, orange, dark blue, and metallic steel blue) and every now and then when i make enough money i get a new transformer from eBay, i made 20 bucks which was sadly 10 bucks short of a near mint transmetal 2 megs but just enough for the equally great beast machines megatron mint with instructions for 15 bucks (the shipping was FREEEEE!) he arrived within a week and the minute i opened him from his shipping package i loved him, now given he has flaws (all figures including transformers do) what really sets him back for me is the fact his head isnt his TM (the TM2 head in the cartoon was the original TM head with the dragon tail head-dress ponytail thingy) but his control helmet, its amazing dont get me wrong, i just wish there was a face underneath the removable mouth-guard instead of a hole and no nose which makes makes look like "= O" thats my only major flaw aside from wishing they had sculpted TM2 dragon wings inside the control gown instead of just veins and wing shapes.

what i think really makes people look down on this figure is the hype crash from transmetal 2 megatron and the fact BM megs is a deluxe in mega (voyager) packaging, theres nothing wrong with it and its a good figure.

the pluses to this figure far outweigh the minuses (to me anywho) the figure is all around based on the TM2 figure but more aimed towards beast machines with his wings folding into the gown that wraps around him when hes connected to his control harness (as seen herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgc0QnOxjU8) but sadly features no arms to add when hes in said gown mode since theres no control harness but i can always make one ;)  the dragon neck/arm on beast machines megatron is rather fun to fiddle with because you pull it back it opens the dragons mouth and when you push the neck forward the dragons jaws snap shut but if one does not with to do that the spring loaded jaw snap feature is implemented like the original transmetal 2 toy, if one flips down the blue chest plate in megatrons chest it reveals a rather beautiful emerald green vehicon spark crystal (which is funny cause his instructions list him as a predacon still, woopsies) this gimmick can be used in either mode as with all beast machines toys. the dragon mode for this toy is a awesome one, the wings are nice and large, the arms and legs are able to hold a nice array of poses, and the neck due to transformation for robot mode can rotate a full 360 at the base of the shoulders (if your dragons possessed) the tail/right arm can twist side-to-side or up and down which allows some neat poses as well as additional support if a pose needs it.

robot mode aside from the dragon arms becoming megatrons gut is pretty epic, it pertains to the original transmetal 2 figure with a upper torso that (in my opinion) calls back to the original T-rex bodied megatron of beast wars, the legs of the figure are oddly thin and slightly short, but this figure can pull it off, he has all sorts of nice details from organic dragon looks to revealed technological components and features, his right arm even has his fist rotated palm-up for a clenched fist "revengeful" pose like the TM2 figure before it, one of the rather great features like i said is the ability to wrap megatrons wings around his body to form the cloak he wears in his control harness which you can also to with the dragon mode if you so wish.

all in all i rate the dragon mode 10 of 10, bot mode 9 of 10, and all around aesthetics and presentation 8 of 20 for the small gripes listed above

P.S, included in this review in the attachment area are some preview snapshots of the customization i'm doing on the figure ;)  (much work has been done since those photos so what you see isnt final)

Attached Files: