Minor/Repaint: Beast Machines Jetstorm

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by highlander3000, Aug 4, 2011.

1. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    Beast Machines Jetstorm was one of my favorite Transformers when it was released. I thought he made a nice opponent for my G1 Jetfire due to their alt modes and similar size. However, Jetstorm is notorious for chrome wear. The first Jetstorm I had started to flake a couple of years after I bought it so I turned it into a custom figure. I bought a second Jetstorm and recently the chrome started to come off in a bad way. I decided to try to find a way to restore this figure.

First of all, I don't know of any way to restore chrome without very expensive equipment. However, I was able to give Jetstorm a metallic look where his chrome once was.

Here he is in robot mode:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a close up of the restored area:
    [​IMG]
    Here he is in jet mode:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a close up of the restored area:
    [​IMG]
    A different shot in jet mode:

Here's how I did it:

1. I removed as much chrome as I could with sandpaper taking care not to eat away at too much of the plastic. I couldn't reach too well in all the little cracks but that didn't seem to affect the final product too much.

2. I masked off the figure as best I could to leave only the areas to be painted exposed.

3. I applied several light coats of Dupli-Color Metalcast Metallic Ground Coat (MC 100) from a spray can ($8 at Pep Boys).

4. I applied two light coats and one medium coat of Dupli-Color Metalcast Blue Anodized Color Paint (MC 201) from a spray can ($8 at Pep Boys). The more coats you add, the darker the color. The color on the cap is much lighter than the final product you see here.

5. I removed some of the paint that got past the masking with nail polish remover on cotton balls.

This was a fun experiment in making a Transformer suffering from chrome loss into a more presentable piece. When Shokaract, who is showing early signs of chrome wear, becomes less presentable I will probably do the same to it.

Thanks for reading and looking at my pictures.

Andrew

Attached Files:

2. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Awesome!!!!!!!!

3. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Id say that looks better than the chrome. Oh, how that figure brings back great memories... *runs to ebay to find one*

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sweet!!!

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    vary cool man!! I think that another way to mimic colored chrome is to use a chrome silver, and spray a clear color (in this case, it would have been blue) over the chrome silver. I know that's how I used to make gundam eye shimmer like colored chrome :)  This looks a lot better on this figure than the chrome did though :) 

6. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Thanks man - looks great. I think I'll have to do this to my Jetstorm as I stopped TFing/playing with it because of the chrome flaking. Time to fix him up!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think you did a great job with this. One of my Jetstorms suffers from the chrome paint missing. :(