Beast Machines Jetstom Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Oct 24, 2009.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just picked up a MIB BM Jetstorm for $5 from someone in my small town...(found someone selling transformers on eBay from the same town of 20,000 people)...and it looks perfect. I've heard a lot about how badly Jetstorm's chrome flakes, though. Should I even bother taking it out of the box or would I be risking killing the figure?

Thanks in advance.

2. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, I dunno. I can't think of a single persons that didn't chip!

Its a fun toy though, maybe bust it out for a little while, be careful and then box it back up?

3. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What exactly causes the chipping on it? Really for $5 I could get my money's worth from playing with it, but if I display it, will normal temperature changes and humidity cause it to start cracking?

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Ultra Jetstorm suffers from the same problem as a lot of TFs from that time (Beast Wars Transmetals & Transmetal 2s are terrible for this, as are Car Robots/RID toys such as Megatron & Ultra Magnus, so if you have any of them be very careful with them). Basically the vac-metallised coating on the toy's parts cracks and flakes incredibly easily. It doesn't even seem to be a case of mishandling the toy either - it just happens. It might be temperature or environment based, but I don't think anyone's ever done a study on it.
    I have 2 Ultra Jetstorms - 1 MISB and 1 MIB. The MIB one is a mess, but the MISB one is still perfect. Personally I'd reccomend keeping that one MISB, and picking up a loose one to fiddle with. He's definitely a figure worth handling, it's just that the vac-metallised stuff WILL get ruined eventually.
    And incidentally - $5 for a MISB Ultra Jetstorm is a superb price. Congrats.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    When I had a nose at my loose one a few months ago from storage (because of a similar thread asking about this figure and the chrome) it looked fine. Didn't someone post a photo a short while back of a mosc TM Rattrap or something that had flaked off chrome? I don't think even keeping these things MISB can ensure the chrome integrity.

6. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

Seems to me, if every one of these guys looks terrible as soon as they are out of the package, there's a fair chance this thing will be worth something. I'd keep it in the box. I'm a MISB guy anyway, though.