Beast Machines Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galvatron1998, Mar 20, 2016.

1. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Ditto. Cheetor went from being lil' freckles to becoming a war-hardened veteran in a very short span. Ian Corlett did a great job lowering his voice to register these changes in subtle tones.

I've been re-cycling my shelves, grey-tubbing the long standing figures and putting some classic ones up. I came across the BM box and I gotta say, all the Vehicons are truly awesome to transform all these years later. Deluxe Jetstorm is a tiny god.

The maximals...I'm conflicted about. I think they could have been designed more practically. Their transformations are rather iffy, and gimmicks got in the way of both modes. I dunno. Like a step back from BW.

As for the show, I get what poor Marty was trying to do, but between the younger Poke/Digimon era audience and the Bush-era undertones, it seems to have sacrificed character for the sake of flashy shuriken.

-Kronatron

2. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Stan Bush has got The Touch! :) 

The later toys were gooder like night slash Cheetor.
    Sure, it lacked creativity as per the typical BW toys where Beast arm and legs become Robot arm and legs. But it was still a fun toy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kronatron

Stan Bush's got the poooooooooower, yeah!

Oooo! Love me that night slash Cheetor, though heavily anthropomorphized (legs/legs: arms/arms), it's a definite improvement over the earlier anorexic banana design, and it helps streamline his stealth physique.

The switch-sword gimmick's not half bad, though arm articulation did suffer as a result, but with the help of swivel wrists and locking leg extenders, both modes are aestetically and mechanically designed to hold up way better than bananacat.

A solid 7/10.
    -Kronatron

4. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The universe version is even better since it’s mostly the right colors

5. kronatron

Hmmm...did a quick google image search, I never realized that version even existed, certainly never saw it at any stores in my area. I still say the black and orange fit him better. Perhaps the best visual representation would be the titanium version, but it's difficult to distribute his slenderness in beast mode to his robust torso in bot mode without sacrificing something.

-Kronatron

• Like Like x 1
  6. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pretty sure it was an end of the line release

• Like Like x 1
  7. Super4Ever

Super4Ever Well-Known Member

The yellow version of Night Slash Cheetor came out in the Universe line. Just a heads up, it has an Autobot symbol not Maximal IIRC.

8. kronatron

Aha!

No reason, just thought it was an interesting tidbit.

Also, for the last few years I've been wanting to do some "fixes" that could improve several figures, like hinged feet for Mega Tankor, actual hands for spystreak(?), a base for deluxe jetstorm so you can stand him up in robo-flight mode, some others. Does anyone know of a good resources that already exist like shapeways for the BM line?

-Kronatron

9. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

Never cared much for the show itself. However, we did get Tankor, Strika, Obisdian, Black Arachnia and one of my all time favorites, the deluxe Jetstorm mold out of it. Toy wise, it helped to swing things back towards a vehicle alt mode ideology.

10. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

I feel so/so about BW but beast machines was an awesome series. Yes I know the animation and character designs were pretty horrible, it fucked up the connection of BW to G1 even more lorewise, but its concept was dark enough and well presented. Plus it made me feel some sympathy for Beast Megatron for the first time.

11. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I really like "The Weak Component" and feel that anyone who doesn't identify with what Rattrap was going through in that and the previous five episodes never truly hit rock bottom before. Rock Bottom is ridiculously scary place where you think irrationally and have suicidal thoughts.

Oh crap I'm so stupid, that's how Beast Wars Uprising has that toy set up as the Diagnostics Drone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fivepeepeeman

Fivepeepeeman Who the hell do you think I am?!

I liked the concept of Beast Machines honestly. Trying to accomplish balance between organic and tech. It was pretty cool.
    And Cheetor, Tankor and Blackarachnia were my favorite characters in the series though I didn’t really like what they did to Rattrap.

13. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 DJD

Ebay:
    I really enjoyed Beast Machines. One of my favorite aspects of it was Megatron and how he blame his organic form for his shot commings. Granted i never understood how Rat Trap had a problem transforming considering how he was in Beast Wars

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Heck of a theme song for the time, too:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Delliardo

Delliardo That's just Prime

I'm about to re-watch Beast Machines after I finish Beast Wars. I can't really remember too much about Beast Machines. I did however have all three vehicon commanders at one time! :p  Wish me luck!

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I do enjoy this song. It also worked to immediately establish BM as a different animal to BW. Gone were the tribal drum beats and electric guitar. This isn't the jungle anymore, they're in a techno metropolis and you feel it.

Because transforming required an inner peace, and that's not how Rattrap operated. He couldn't, because in his world things were quick and dirty. Shoot first, think later. He was the only Maximal to really dislike Earth and constantly wanted to go back to Cybertron and didn't care how, as long as it was soon.

The Oracle very much tested Rattrap, taking away his guns and thus his bravado. I'm reminded of when in Beast Wars he was ever in beast mode against a robot mode opponent he would often lose his cool until he transformed and pulled his pistol. But an itchy trigger finger and feelings of inadequacy are not the path to true peace, so he was humbled and made to find that peace. Ironically, though people see his BM body as having a handicap, I always thought it was an upgrade. Sure he didn't have a gun, but by the end of the show he was zipping around on his wheel-legs causing all sorts of trouble. Hell, I think he was the fastest next to Cheetor because of those wheels. Also, his spark/eye/transformation colour was red which was cool.

Rattrap always took the easy way, because to him that was just what you did. The Oracle basically asked "what will you do now that there isn't an easy way?"

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  17. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

When i watching this show, is miss so much the beast wars vibe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

I'd really enjoy a Generations Beast Machines Cheetor, Primal, or Jetstorm

It was cool to get Tankor even if he was tiny.

19. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

Bless you for that post.

20. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

If is not broken, don't try fix.