Beast Machines Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galvatron1998, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Hello, first post here so I'll try not to sound like an idiot.

Having ended 16 years ago Beast Machines is still considered a reviled show by a large amount of the fandom, while others accept the show as a solid addition to the franchise. It was a large departure from what had come before, which is one of the reasons why I enjoy the show today.

The show explored many darker themes, such as a planet wide genocide and the execution of individuals based on an ideology. It also had a solid story that left little to no plot threads unfinished and was not bogged down for being a "kids" show. The scripting was well done and you could tell that the writers had ambition to tell an epic story. The voice acting was what I consider to be the best in the franchise as it truly captured the raw emotions of the characters. Megatron was portrayed in his darkest yet most intriguing persona yet, acting far grimmer and disgusted then his Beast Wars self. Additions like Jetstorm and Thrust were welcomed and have even become favorite characters for some. The Maximals, while not as fun or as interesting as they were in Beast Wars, were still fleshed out and treated with respect.

With the 20th Anniversary of Beast Wars this year I thought that we should acknowledge the successor in the Beast Era that builds upon the previous show and explores the philosophical side to the brand.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You started a thread called Beast Machines Appreciation. You're already incapable of being an idiot in my eyes. ;)  Welcome!

We absolutely should. It was a great show, with darker themes and serious stakes. Heroes that were ill-equipped, villains that had them on the ropes constantly, the struggle between faith and autonomy.

The cruel irony, however, is that with BW itself getting almost zero recognition for it's 20th anniversary, BM is going to need us fans to celebrate it once it's 20th hits. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Easily, Beast Machines is one of my most favorite Transformers television shows of all time. I love the darker and more philosophical themes that it tackled, the ways that each character grew and developed, there was a lot to love about it.

Welcome to the boards, and great first post. ~

4. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Thanks for replying! I hope that people will continue to appreciate the show and not hate it for reasons like "the Maximals are hippies" or "the designs are ugly". Hopefully Hasbro will one day make more homages to Beast Machines and eventually give us a Generations Strika or Jetstorm. That would be a dream come true!

5. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I just want a Botanica figure. Just a figure named Botanica that homages her in at least one mode.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Jetstorm was based. That is all.

7. Urluck

Urluck unimportant

Odd that this turns up just as I was working on a Generations Tankor review :) 

Reruns of Beast Machines are probably what go me back into Transformers. I liked the story and entire concept, and none of the series following it matched that standard. It wasn't until Animated that I could honestly recommend a Transformers cartoon to anyone.

As for the actual toys, I'm fond of Scavenger.

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I liked Beast Machines, though I do wish some Predacon survivors were in the series and forced to work with the Maximals against a common foe.

But Jetstorm is my favorite jet transformer of all time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    I really don't want to be "that guy" but... Ya I got nothing to appreciate about Beast Machines. Beast Wars on the other hand is a different story. :) 

10. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Royal Red

News Credits:
    This thread is everything I've ever wanted.
    YES.

AND this is why I love Beast Machines so much as a show. The Vehicons are some of my favorite figures as well!

11. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Yeah, Beast Machines is one of the most underrated Transformers anything. I almost always prefer shows and films to have smaller casts, and both Western Beast Era shows have small but developed casts.

Botanica is extremely underrated.

The changes in the Maximal's characters and personalities don't ruin the Beast Wars Maximals. On the contrary, I feel like it expands them as characters.

It is indeed too bad Hasbro hasn't announced anything for the Beast Wars 20th Anniversary. Sigh.

12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I agree, it thrusts them into different circumstances and tests them.

I feel like you absolutely want to be "that guy" otherwise you wouldn't come to a Beast Machines Appreciation thread to say how much you don't appreciate it.

And I know what you're going to say, it's just your opinion. But there's a time and place, dude, and this new member (who's clearly not new to the fandom as he recognizes how unpopular BM is) just wanted to create one small sanctuary to celebrate a series that has no trouble getting hate literally everywhere else. You didn't even give a token "but other people like it so it's okay" or whatever, you came into this thread just to spoil it.

It's a lack of etiquette.

13. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    When I originally saw Beast Machines, I did not like it. It felt somehow less than Beast Wars, and the dramatic change to the characters was jarring to say the least. (It doesn't help that I still loathe Nightscream.) Seeing it again, I have grown to appreciate what it brings to the table though. The Maximals' designs are still average to ugly, but the Vehicons look cool as hell. Watching the Maximals have to play underdog to Megatron's total control of the planet appeals, and the darker themes explored were interesting, even if some could probably been better handled with different characters.

I will also say I loved Jetstorm and he is one of the best antagonists in the franchise. Obsidian and Strika really didn't get as much time to shine, but Jetstorm just devoured every scene he was in.

EDIT: Darn autocorrect.

14. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    I saw this coming.

I only came here so that the new member can see my opinion (I don't care for BM, at all) and know that that's how I feel about it. It is not done out of malice, but simply because I have a need to tell people what I think. :( 

15. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same thoughts exactly

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    EDIT: Nope, not falling for it again.

17. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    I have an interesting relationship with Beast Machines. Like many, I loathed the show when I first saw it, and the downright horrendous toys that appeared on shelves didn't do anything to change my opinion that it was just an all-round abomination.

Years passed, and I made myself rewatch it after taking the advice of a fan and thinking of it in isolation -- a standalone show, rather than a sequel to Beast Wars. Looking at it like this, I was still disappointed overall, but could appreciate what they were trying to do with it.

Some fans have found a place for it in their hearts, and that's good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i hate that BM silverbolt was so different from BW silverbolt because i'm a fan of both characterizations... and G1 silverbolt. so many silverbolts i like, lol.

all the vehicons are awesome though.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    The only reason I dislike BM Silverbolt at all is because Jetstorm had to leave in order for him to show up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I definitely loved the 26 episodes of Beast Machines, but not quite as much as I loved the 26 episodes of seasons two and three from Beast Wars.