Beast Machines Appreciation Thread 2012

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scrapper6, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I ran a search of this, twice, and found nothing for this underappreaciated toyline here. Therefore, while taking photos for my collections thread I was inspired to create my very own Appreciation Thread for the Beast Machines Toyline.

Let's get the ball rolling shall we? But first, seriously, the toys from this toyline have always been called into question by many a fan. More often is the case they are never given a second look because of the way Mainframe handled the show's animation for the characters. It's a crying shame really, these toys can be quite fun and extremley dynamic.

Here are some images of my personal favorites, and a few just for fun.

Mega Cheetor, Criticzed, but Quite Nice, especially with the old Unicron.com Accessory Pack Swords:

[​IMG]
    By scrapper6 at 2012-03-22

Maximal Lovers, Silverbolt is really panned. But he's still a fun little toy:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Non-Show Deluxes, Skydive and Snarl, Skydive is the Originator of Super Long Blade Fingers:

[​IMG]

Basic Maximals, Some of the Best Basics of the Beast Era:

[​IMG]

Some of my Personal Favorites of the Maximals:

[​IMG]

These are Quirky but Fun:

[​IMG]

Rattrap isn't the only Mega to feature alternate configurations, but he does look pretty impressive in-spite of Scale Issues:

[​IMG]

The Mutants in Beast Wars were originally slated for Animorphs, this figure is the first and only actual Transformer Character designed as a Transformer between two different Organic Modes. Pulls it off pretty good if you ask me:

[​IMG]

The Deployers were fun Accessories, the only problem is they weren't compatible with all the figures like Mini-Cons are. I like to think they're precursors to the Mini-Cons, here they are in beast and weapon modes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now for the best of the best, the Vehicons...

Specialized Drones for Any Occassion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of these guys really need new incarnations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three-Wheeled Biker Bots... What More can you Want?

[​IMG]

Battle Chariots and Other Cool Stuff.

[​IMG]

I'm a firm believer that, had Mainframe chosen to animate THIS model as Tankor, you would have seen a lot of different thoughts on the mold. He may not be screen accurate to the Tankor we know and love, but in a way this one is creepy enough and has its own charm. This toy version of Tankor is the Shockwave of his Era in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Without this figure there would be no Unicron, no Primus, no Omega Supreme, without this figure you wouldn't have all those cool Supreme Class figures. To date I'm pretty sure this toy is one of the tallest Transformers in existence, dwarfed only by Fortress Maximus I'd wager.

[​IMG]

And that is enough from me, how about you guys? What are your feelings on these awesome looking toys. I mean seriously, the show may have been dark as the Pit, but it is still a really well written program. Even the ending has some merit to it, prooving that no matter the odds, you can still pull a victory from defeat at the last second. And that Primal, Megs battle throughout the entire final episode is one of the best animated and choreographed fight scenes out there. IMO

2. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

Overall, Beast Machines as a toy line was a huge letdown. Like everything, though, it did have some high points:

Jetstorm - I really liked both molds.

Megabolt Megatron - I loved this mold. The fact that they made a toy in Beast Machines that could interact with G1 Fortress Maximus was just awesome.

Battle Unicorn - Just saying the name should be enough.

Supreme Cheetor? No. Air Attack Optimus Primal. Yes, I know he didn't come out under the Beast Machines banner, but he was a Beast Machines toy.

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

If I start botching about the TV show, someone please slap me, because I want to stay positive in this thread!

Probably the most underrated toy line in Transformers, in my opinion. Yes, there are scale issues. Yes, screen accuracy is a joke. Yes, there are unecessary gimmicks. You know what those flaws make Beast Machines? TYPICAL! The only reason it was such a letdown at the time is that we were riding high off how great the Beast Wars toyline was.

Now that time has gone by, the majority of the BM toys are unique, interesting additions to Transformers as a whole. I like the focus on trippy techno-organic beast modes, and the art style is something that hasn't been tried before or since. I think it's only a matter of time until this line is appreciated for what it is instead of what people wanted it to be, kind of like G2.

4. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm the opposite as I enjoyed the show much more than the toys. The good toys were few and far between, so I don't think this thread will last too long. The best toys from the line were the tank and cycle drones (which happen to be the only toys I want to keep in my collection). Obsidian and Strika were okay too, but I'd definitely opt for the Takara versions if they weren't so expensive.

Megatron Megabolt is a good toy as well except for the weak knees, but I won't include it since it was released in RID.

5. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

Please explain. I have both, but have never heard of what you speak!

6. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

It's been many, many years since I've watched Beast Machines at all, but I've always been fond of the quirky, unique aesthetic of the toys - probably one of the reasons I kind of like the movie designs (Wayward Insecticon used that joke in her Insecticomics, saying that the TF 'actors' in the movies were Vehicons because of their alien looks). I haven't had a chance to get many of the toys until recently, but I'm incredibly fond of the ones I have. Night Viper and Blackarachnia (Universe repaint) are two of the gems in my personal collection, and Strika was a longtime grail of mine (I collect fembots, and she's one of the most memorable), standing proud with RTS Lugnut on my shelf these days. Maybe, one day, I'll find an Obsidian to fight for her love.

I believe you can pop the legs off of the Megabolt mold and insert it into Fort Max as a new head. As in, it fits perfectly (or near perfectly) and may have been designed to do so.

7. Scrapper6

And so we must agree to disagree. Seriously, the toys were great fun, and had some really quirky aesthetics in all honesty. I really dug a lot of the non-show Maximals and kind of wished that more than just Nightscream were added to the BW Survivors.

Figures like Gekobot, Longhorn, Hammer Strike, Battle Unicorn and Night Viper (who I have yet to own) were some of the best basics I've ever seen. The weakest I think was actually Quickstrike, mostly because his beast mode has such a tiny head for such a big body, and he's just not as much fun to fiddle with due to lacking some crucial arm joints that would really help the figure out. A bicep swivel of some sorts, or perhaps an extra wrist swivel would have really made him look better in my eyes. His legs could use some work too.

8. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had Geckobot and Quickstrike and I can agree that Geckobot has a good beast mode. The bot mode just kills it for me though, sort of like how Beast Wars Jawbreaker has such an awesome beast mode and lackluster bot mode.

I am more willing to sacrifice the alt mode for the good of the bot mode rather than the other way around, but with too many of the Beast Machines toys had this problem.

Also, I don't want to be overly negative as I enjoyed the toys when they were released, and I'm glad some folks like the majority of them. I wonder if anyone still has a horde of Vehicons like when I first joined the boards.

9. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

I see. I shall be trying this when I get home.

10. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Ah, now I remember why I sold these figures off.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    BM Blackarachnia is friggin' awesome.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screw accuracy. A lot of the toys were pretty cool (although it did have its share of pretty lame ones, as well).

Deluxe Optimus Primal is easily one of the most eye-catching and cool looking figures out there. All that translucent electric blue. Gorgeous.

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yep, and I even think I like the purple colour scheme better than the more show accurate one. Granted, she's probably the only BM figure I'll ever own, but my appreciation still grows strong with her. :) 

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    [​IMG]

My Wreckers, two Predacons, two Maximals, one annoyed Megatron.
    [​IMG]

Two bots, same spark (Don't have Thrust):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Scrapper6

:clap Yay, someone else came to the party. Great job, I love those shots. Is that Spy Streak I see? One of those Vehicons I wish would have gotten up here in Canada, if you think things are bad now with distribution, back then it was worse. The kids just didn't get into BM as much as they did BW. A real shame, honestly.

That Blast Punch Mega Mold is beautiful, one day I will own it.

17. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    No one has BM Strika? She's totally the most underrated fembot ever. She acts all hard like she doesn't care, but you know.

18. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread reminded me that I still need to get Myself a Snarl.

As for BM toys that I DO have, that's limited to Night Viper, and I absolutely love him (frankly, I think he pulls off being a snake Transformer MUCH better than Cohrada).

19. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Yeah i loved the show but i wish the animation models were closer to the toy designs (ie. i prefer the look of the deluxe mold Optimus Primal than the air attack supreme version, etc). However I doubt that i will own any of them for some time unless they are reissued

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    YES.

BM Black Arachnia is one of my favorite Transformers of any toy line and any era. I like that toy so much I bought a second one for no reason I can explain even to myself. I just did.