Minor/Repaint: Beast Hunters Smokescreen arm kibble mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Gatchaman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks to Gatchaman and Jozaeh for helping make this figure totally badass!

Attached Files:

2. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, thanks SQ7, Alucard 77 has a mod to remove his 'slippers' as well.

Cool, glad it worked for you. I think having the one tab still there helps button things down, if you remove it, it might be easier to put back together, but may be harder to get everything tabbed down. If you clip the other one, let us know how it works out.

You're welcome, glad you guys like the mods!

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    BTW Gotchaman, thanks for this. I forgot to post thanking you. This whorebag of a figure definately got a nice Kibble clean up thanks to this.

TBH, I am not a Radicon by any stretch of the imagination, however this figure makes me want to get the dremel out and fix it so we get a good Smokescreen out of it.

I really want to cut the damn fenders off his legs and find a way to rotate them on the back of his legs. That will finally make this figure acceptable.

That and learning how to paint this POS the correct colors and giving him blue light pipping instead of yellow.

Sigh....

4. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did Jozaehs mod half way and I will say he looks so much better.I mean just putting those hood pieces on his back,makes a world of difference.Just took me a while to get them in there right.

Thanks guys for the great ideas on modding him:thumbs2: .

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Gotcha, jozeah, and Alu77, thank you all for your work here so far.

Please, if any of you have anything to add, or any questions, etc., please post!

6. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

Ah nice one Eurobeat! That's so cool to hear, he looks infinitely better like you said. You'll get super fast at putting the hood pieces on the back hey, almost as if it was intended in the original figure! Ha!

Ah you're super welcome evergamer and superquad! I'm glad to have been a part of the sharing!

7. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    What, my posts/mods are no good to you? :wink: 

8. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bingo,thanks again:thumbs2: .

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    So I finally settled on a position for the wings. It is pretty much what Jozeah said, but with a twist. With the way Jozeah had it, the parts would fall off too frequently for me and would also had me worried about snapping the windshield back into the hood area. I could see with enough of that, the clear piece on the windshield would eventually break. So this is what I did:

1- Cut the arm pieces as you normally would.
    2- Leave them snapped together, instead of taking apart the hood from the windshield
    [​IMG]
    3- Fold up the the pieces as you normally would:
    [​IMG]
    back view:
    [​IMG]
    4- Now clip your new formed C clip (that you got from doing the cut in step one) into the door panel:
    [​IMG]

Here is the views of how doing it this way will look:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, if you hate the side wheels on the legs, I started a thread with an idea of how to move that to the wheels to the back of the legs. It takes modding and needing to cut the figure up a bit:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/843622-why-not-butcher-up-prid-smokescreen-some-more.html

I am thinking 1 catch all thread would be useful at this point.

10. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice mods! I applied some of your ideas to removing the arm kibble and hood pieces but in the end I just decided to Frankenstein together Takara AM Smokescreen with parts from BH Smokey (with other added pieces):

(Note: Just a copy-pasta from a previous thread I posted in, at the risk of hijacking this thread; apologies in advance but some alternative ideas to using Takara AM Smokescreen can be found here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/734486-wip-tfp-smokescreen.html)

Finally got Beast Hunters Smokescreen in hand and while some of the sculpting of the figure is pretty decent to the on-show character model (and the alt mode is admittedly very nice), the overall bot mode left much to be desired (I won't belabor any of the complaints the mold has garnered at this point XD).

So I decided to swap parts from him and kitbash them to my previous attempt at a more accurate "Action Master" (he doesn't transform) Smokescreen using:

- Takara Arms Micron Smokecreen (I like the torso, wings, and head better -- the BH head just creeps me out for some reason).

- Legs from RiD Ratchet.

- Guns from TFTM (Bayverse) Deluxe Bumblebee.

- Some (yellow) joints from a junker HFTD Scout Sunspot.

- The shoulder pads, arms, wheel shoulder joints, and faux chest plate from BH Smokescreen.

Nothing is glued here (aside from tightening up some ball joints on the overly loose joints from the BH Smokey parts), just frictioned together. He has a nice heft and decent poseability, and is taller and looks more the part of the on-show character, to my eyes. =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm mulling over removing the windows from his door wings for more screen accuracy (taking out pins is a pain), and still waiting on Reprolabels to come out with a sticker set for additional color (like red on the shoulder pads and better blues on the faux chest). The cannons will be painted white to match the rest of the figure eventually, with some black on his feet, hands, and knee pads. XD

The on-show Bot team (minus a few others like Tailgate, Alpha Trion, and Ultra Magnus XD):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, my intention isn't to hijack the thread (OK, maybe part of it is tooting my own horn, lol) but sharing my enthusiasm for kitbashing and some alternative ideas and options for a representative figure of the Smokescreen character. If any one is interested in details on how I made my kitbash, I can post additional pictures either in this thread or the one I linked.

11. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a thread somewhere on how to cut the car-trunk pieces off of the feet?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyway try just cutting off the "c" clips all together and putting some 5mm pegs in place so Smokescreen can just hold the roof in vehicle mode on his arm pegs? Thats what I am going to do. Seems easier than futzing with putting the hood back every time and makes for an easier transformation. There are sufficient locking pegs that the connection to the arm isnt even needed (I already did the first part myself). Plus then he can wield them as duel shields.

13. BigMetalUnit

BigMetalUnit Banned

Ebay:
    these are some great ideas to get rid of the arm kibble on this thread so i figured i would throw my idea out there. i figured there would have to be a use for the stupid rubber beast hunter armor crap so i chopped it up and came up with a few different ways to hold the roof and hood pieces on his back pretty securely i apologize if this has already been posted but i didn't see it ...

step one: cut the armor into 3 pieces
    [​IMG]

then you can stick the big peice on his back (wich would look good by itself with a little paint) and insert the hood pieces, and the roof parts would stay on his arms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the second way is to use it to hold the roof pieces on his back...(.however i havent figured out where to go with the hood pieces this way)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the third way is to use the smaller pieces of the rubber armor........

[​IMG]

the can tab into the slots on the rubber piece...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all 3 ways are pretty secure. it took some pretty violent shaking to make them fall off. the other good thing is that this way there is not alot of friction between the pieces so i dont have to worry about paint chipping. and as far as transformation goes i just remove the arms to transform him just to not risk chipping the paint with how tight they are in there.....

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Keep sharing your fixes here guys! Many thanks again to those of you who have already!

15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yup, but the thread I started got merged with another thread I did with more ideas:

Here is the thread:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/841550-why-not-butcher-up-smokescreen-some-more.html

Here are the ideas:
    1- Move the tires to the back of the leg mod. This is just a mistransformation, but how to do the mod is in the link:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2- Then the what to do with the feet panels (IE, use it as a shield):
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

16. robot7boy

robot7boy Con..... Thats all i got

..ok so when people complain about parts forming then....they like this im confused

17. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    They're most likely different people...

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Ah! My apologies, as I totally missed 'em!

19. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, I'm just glad that the little arm mod spurred on so many different takes on how to deal with Kibble and other awesome mods!

My sentiments exactly.

More cool ideas and other mods!

Very cool Timesynch, I like where you're going with this one, have you done anything further on it? And don't even worry about hijacking, this thread has become a catchall for awesome somkescreen mods, I'm actually thrilled that so many people are contributing such cool ideas, so the more the merrier I say!

Very cool bigmetal, I may have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

you're really giving this guy an overhaul, awesome!

Thanks for encouraging everyone to post SQ7, I can't believe how many great ideas are here!

20. robot7boy

robot7boy Con..... Thats all i got

true