Minor/Repaint: Beast Hunters Smokescreen arm kibble mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Gatchaman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

First off I wanna say HELLS YEAH Gatchaman for working out that the wrist pin join on the smokescreen figure could be sliced easily to allow that kibble to come off! That was a stellar find. I thought I’d share my mod here, to keep them all together in the same cool thread.

Further to your mod, I have come up with a couple options for people.

Smokescreen mod Jozaeh #1 –

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one ends up putting all of the hood and roof pieces onto his back, which looks pretty cool.

IMPORTANT! To do this mod, you may need to do the cutting step of Gatchaman’s mod as minimally as you possibly can. As you can see in the closeup photo below of my roof piece, I tried to leave a teeny nub on the cutting edge. And I did NOT cut off the half part of this clip section. I kept the clip section as original as possible. This will help the roof piece ‘clip’ onto the spot I’ve found.

[​IMG]

Now hopefully this will work no matter how much you shave off, but at step 4 if your roof pieces don’t grab on, then this mod sadly won’t work for your figure.

Here’s the steps (to be followed by photo steps):

1. Lay smokey on his face and fold his windows down, but about ‘halfway’ onto the inside of the doors
    2. Take the hood piece (match the photo below to have the right one) and slide/push it’s little split arm onto the frame. It should grip juuuust enough.
    3. Repeat for the other hood piece
    4. Take the roof piece and use it’s pin gripping section to pop onto the bottom door edge. Your roof piece may NOT grab here. If it doesn’t, then this mod won’t work for your figure. But! Some tightening of the grip section edges with some super glue (let it dry first before you try fitting it to the door again!!) might help with the snugness.
    5. You’ll notice that the bottom point of each roof piece actually sits pretty snug in with the back waist nub.

[​IMG]

And there ends the Mod #1!

Smokescreen mod Jozaeh #2 –

[​IMG]

This one puts the hood pieces onto the back of smokey’s back, and is a cool way to have his back keep the kibble. It has the roof pieces as not attached to the figure. And of course he’ll now have two sets of headlights in robot mode, but hey, that’s all the better to see ‘Cons with!

This mod really only has one step, but it’s pretty fiddly. So take your time, it will get annoying and tight clearances, but hopefully you’ll get it!

Steps (with photo steps to follow):

1. Take the left hood piece, and place it behind his left shoulder (use the photos to make sure you’ve got the right piece!)
    2. Now angle the door inwards a little to give yourself room.
    3. Slide the hood piece arm in and under the door frame bar
    4. It should get in close, and then you can hinge the door to be back out on it’s angle.
    5. Hopefully the tyre will ‘squeeze’ the hood arm tightly to keep it in place.
    6. Now make sure the hood notches in with the bottoms of the door (number 3 in photo)
    7. And now check that all the ‘securing’ places are in the correct spot (see the circles in ‘check #1!’ in the photo)
    8. The hood should push own onto the back of smokey’s waist in the spots in the photo.
    9. Lastly, make sure to give smokey’s wheels a push inwards from the sides to make sure they haven’t popped out of place. It did this a few times with mine(you may need to fold his chest piece down to check this).

[​IMG]

This mod is a tricky one, mainly because it’s sucha small space with only a small room for ‘gripping’ of the piece. But once you get it solid it’s pretty good!

That’s all!
    Happy smoking (screening).

Jozaeh

Ps: I can’t believe we’ve been given a smokescreen figure of his own mold! Despite a few shortcomings, he’s got his own mold!! And he looks snappin cool.

Attached Files:

2. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both of those are extremely cool:thumb 

Id love a how to video of the Gatchaman modding or any of the mods,I feel like Im not catching all the details in the pics.

3. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    Wow! the double doors on the back mod works so easily. I found a little easier way to clip the pieces with the windshield in. The slot you make when removing the arm kibble in the clear piece clips right in to the little dent in the bottom of each door, letting you close the side windows right over them after they are attached.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    that's ingenious.

5. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

Ah glad ya like em Eurobeat! As for the video, it can take a surprisingly long amount of time to produce and upload one as the modder, so in case that never happens, have you tried comparing your figure and it's parts with the photos of the mods as the steps progress? I remember when i first saw the mod (with my figure in hand), I was confused. But fiddling and trying to match parts to the photos eventually helped.

One photo that might help with Gatchaman's mod is my close up photo of the roof piece with the clear plastic cut made. As long as you make your roof piece clear plastic bit look like this, then that's all the cutting you need to do!

Yeah it's surprisingly easy hey! I'm glad you could get it to work, and even come up with your own spin on it. I can't seem to get my roof panels to clip in like you're saying yours can, if you get a chance to post a photo of your setup, please do!

6. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Jozeah & thanks for sharing your mods! That version 1 is hot! Can you fire off a profile pic? The front and back look awesome, so would like to see from the side. May have to see if I can still wedge it in there.
    & I agree it is so awesome that we got this mold and the upcoming Shockwave that are such great representations of their Prime S2 characters.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. Gatchaman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks!

It sounds intriguing, but I'm not quite following. Can you do a digibash?

8. ChoKo

ChoKo Rainmaker

Ebay:
    This is an awesome mod. Thanks for the instructions/details. :) 

9. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

Hey Gatcha!
    Ah ya welcome! Yeah, when I stumbled on version one late last night I went 'What? Oh it works! Yeah!'. I'll post in a profile side on pic for you below.

[​IMG]

Yeah, shockwave looks really cool in bot mode, he is just SO chunky and powerful!

See ya,
    Jozaeh

Attached Files:

10. Gatchaman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, thanks!

11. TFfanOP

TFfanOP Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Here. I used Jozeah's image to illustrate (I suck at PS but you'll get the idea)

[​IMG]

I think it makes his feet look better and not like he has slippers on (or whatever lol).

12. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    I gotcha,very understandable.I just got him the other day and Im almost tempted to send em one of you guys since I dont trust myself for the mods,lol.

Seriously great work guys:thumbs2: :bowdown: 

13. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Well i'd offer to do the mod for you, but i'm all the way over in australia, ha! Shipping would kill the plan.

Well I encourage you to take your time and try it out. And even IF you DO break the little clear piece clean off, then you can still just set the roof panels to the side, put the hood panels onto his back like in my #2 mod, and then put it all back together whenever you want him in car mode, either way he looks better than stock smokey with the refridgerators on his arms!

You may surprise yourself with your skills.

14. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Yeah I see what your saying.So with Mod2 I could just pull of the hood pieces off the hinges and place them on his back and spare myself the agonizing cutting of the roof pieces off his arms and just leaves as is,cuz even then he looks less bulky in his arms from what Im imagining.

15. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

You betcha.

16. Gatchaman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK, I'm with you now, that would look better.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is some great work here guys! Keep posting your comments and questions here. I'll work on resourcing everything we end up with here.

18. Dashdragon

Dashdragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually did the mod myself this weekend. I can say that I've not done any true mod to my figures before and did not even have great tools to do it with and did not have much problem.

I basically had a pocket knife, nail clippers, and clear nail polish.

I cut away (was more like sawing/pressure cutting since it wasn't even that sharp) at the little piece until I got far enough through to be able to pop the arm out and used the nail clippers to clean off the excess. Then I used the knife to scrape it down until it would fit in his back decently, though it would still just barely try to pop out.

I followed up with putting nail polish in the little tab for the two top halves to hold them together a little more snugly as well as on the clear tabs I cut to give them more grip to stay on his back.

Only thing is that this makes it easier (for me) to transform him and harder at the same time. Getting his arms and the kibble moved into position was always a pain in the ass before, now it's getting the windshield around the arms.

Debating if I can just cut the other half of that tab off so that it can just slide in past the arms without needing to hook back into the existing channels.

Either way, I don't think this mod is particularly hard...though I already had a backup plan since where I bought it had 2 more on the shelf that I would have grabbed if I'd messed things up.

19. Eurobeatking

News Credits:
    Yeah I thought of buying a 2nd one and having my buddy do the mod,but its already slim pickings out here.

20. trnsfrmrs1980

trnsfrmrs1980 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome! I did mine also and it was great. That kibbles on his arms are a real pain. Thanks again.