Beachcomber out but "not for sale?" Anyone got an answer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cosmic_d, Dec 6, 2008.

1. cosmic_d

cosmic_d Great Galactic Water Fowl

Has anybody out there had any problems buying Beachcomber from Wal-mart or anywhere else? I found Universe Legends wave 4 (G1 Bumblebee, Brawn, Animated Starscream & Beachcomber) on the shelves at the Wal-mart in Tooele, but at the check out the computer screamed like a banshee at Beachcomber and declares it cannot be sold. No reason given. The nice lady at the register can only stare at the screen and obey the will of the machine. I politely ask for a manager and an answer. He disappeared and came back with no reason but said that these "do not sell" orders are mostly due to a product recall. However he couldn't find a recall. In the end I still didn't get the Beachcomber.

I have found no safety recalls on the web, the federal consumer product site or Hasbro.com. Any answers would be a big help.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    And they let you buy the others?

I'd make mention of something along the lines of waves and whatnot, but I dunno that that'd accomplish anything.

3. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I have had this problem a few times, mostly with Marvel figures and my best guess, because the employees are useless, is that the figs. hit the store before the store's "street date", so it's not in their computer somehow and, thus, they can't sell it because, yes, the computer is king. Stupid, yes, frustrating, yes, stash it and come back later to buy it? Yes!

4. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I figured out your problem, god hates wal-mart

5. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

If the product is received into a modern store(i.e. W*M, Toys 'r' Us) via the handheld PC, the registers are aware that the product is in the store. The only reason the IBM registers throw the "Do Not Sell" message is if there is indeed a recall of some sort on the given product.

6. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen at work today when I bought mine on break. Went to my buddy and Beachcomber didn't scan. He just scanned to Brawns for me though so I could get him. My guess is that they aren't in the system.

7. OptimistPrime

OptimistPrime Certified Optimist

News Credits:
    Actually, for Wal-Mart at least, this also occurs for street date violations as well. What probably happened is that whoever scanned them for inputting a street date just pulled one out of the box, in this case a beachcomber, and scanned it, not realizing that there were four others in there with different UPCs. Ergo, Beachcomber is the only one in the system with a sales restriction.

8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's a system issue. I had the same problem when I was buying Bakugans for my little cousin. It was put out before the street date so some of the packs were in the system and some weren't. Usually the cashier will just scan a similar item (i.e. brawn).

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I saw wave 3 tonight, which was Animated stuff. I really want the entire wave 4. Just gotta find it.

10. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Folks on TFormers are having the same problem, so it seems to be widespread.

Not sure what the real answer is, but the consensus seems to be a street date of some type.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

That's pretty weak that they wouldn't sell the figures to you. Really, they should have just scanned a different Legends figure to charge you the exact same price for.

I say you keep going back until someone does this.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When something pops up as "do not sell", the cashiers don't know the reason, street date, safety recall, or whatever. They just don't want to be the ones responsible (and fired) for selling something the system says they shouldn't have, and it ending up lodged in some kid's windpipe. I can't blame them for not 'being cool' about it.

That said, I've found the easy way is to test and make sure what will and won't scan using the in-store price scanners, bringing a "clean" item in the same assortment along with the disallowed one to the automated check-out, and pulling a bait-and-switch there.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    If it says "Not for sale", it's obviously a stolen prototype.

Duh. :tongue: 

14. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

No Nevermore, it says "sale not allowed" lol. Ferralstorm that is a good idea but some places don't have them. Just try again and tell them you are keeping it sealed or some fake excuse.

15. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    If your Walmart has the self-checkout machines just ring in one of the other Legends in Beachcombers place.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Two words - self checkout.

I've had that happen on the self scan - somebody just comes by and overrides it. They don't seem to care when you ring it up yourself.

17. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know what's weird. I had Legends Beachcomber, Bumblebee, Starscream and Brawn on order at HTS and they've shipped them all out but Beachcomber.

18. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's because Beachcomber is so awesome that Hasbro is trying to avoid legal issues that will arise from people opening the package and crapping themselves over the awesomeness. That's a lot of drycleaning bills to pay.

Actually, I wonder if it's possible Hasbro is trying to recall them due to the gun mount being easy to dislodge. It basically pops right off. It's not really any more of a choking hazard than any GI Joe or Star Wars weapon, but maybe they want to address that issue?

19. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beachcomber is carrying "illegal" substances if you know what I mean.

Also I couldn't get my BC either.

20. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I've tried checking new items in the "price check scanners" and found they didn't work there, and proudly told the cashier at the till what the price was from the shelf, expecting them not to scan, and yet they did. That moment of feeling foolish is something you can't take back. Yes, this was at a Wal-mart.