Be Careful Buying Simpsons Movie DVD

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

goddamn full screen...I went to Wal-Mart today before work to pick up the Simpson's Movie. I grabbed the two-pack with the t-shirt, not seeing much as far as actual DVD content on the case and rang it up. Now...I'm the kinda guy that if he can open something in the car and look at it, I will...and I did...only to realize once the package was opened that I grabbed the shitty FULL SCREEN VERSION :banghead: 

who the hell still watches this crap anyways? Widescreen is so much better!!! It doesn't help that "full screen" is in tiny ass print under the giant MOVIE logo...just a warning out there to you folks

goddamn full screen :mad  I hate you so much!

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I can honestly say I don't know anyone who prefers the full screen versions, I don't even know why they sell them.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man, I totally bought an edited Wu-Tang Clan CD once from Wal-mart.

"Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to MESS with." Ugh. It was awful.
    Right? Seriously, what's the point? You think it would just cost them money making a seperate run, since it's not like anybody would buy both.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I can say to you buddy, is that this is Wal-Mart. Get the right person at the Help Desk and you can get it exchanged. Say that it was a present and that the person opened the package to stack it with a couple of DVDs for you, and that you simply want to exchange it, and that it's never been Viewed.

I got a new, larger, LCD TV last year by exchanging my 6-month old one, telling them that it was a Birthday present that had been bought earlier that year and that I had only recently opened it, and that the incentive to them would be that I would be spending more money.

I know, I know, it's lame, but I was on a budget.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My friend that worked for 2 years at a horrible video store gave me enough evidence that there are still people that not only prefer Full Screen, but violently hate Widescreen.

I cite a customer quote he once shared with me:

"Why were there stupid gay black bars across the top and bottom?! Why didn't I get a full picture?! I want a fucking refund, fucking stupid black bars!!"

So, yes. There are still those who somehow prefer to pay for a movie where a good chunk of the image is not available for viewing, and are damn proud of it.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, it's the Simpsons. It's always been fullscreen. My idiot ex-wife prefers fullscreen.

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Actually have a good friend of mine who prefers fullscreen to wide. His stupid arguement is that he doesnt want to see black bars on the top or the side.

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    But there's a button right there on the remote! You hit 'zoom' once, and it turns into fullscreen!

Your friends and ex-wife are giant idiots.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    As far as Ive seen, full screen is for older folk. All my aunts, parents and in laws have said that they hate the black bars and need to have full screen

10. Blaster_Prime

I already opened the DVD case to watch it and see how bad the full screen was...which wasn't very, but still it annoyed me. I'm waiting to see if I can have a friend get me the wide screen version and then just trade them the full screen. If that doesn't work, my last ditch effort is to go to my local video store and see if they'll let me trade it for a wide screen.

11. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I used to tolerate full-screen when I had my old TV. Now that I have a 16x9, if I pop a movie in and it is full screen or isn't anamorphic wide, I'll remove it immediately and go "Well, never watching that one again" :lol 

Jiggles gave a good link a few months back regarding aspect ratios and the controversy that goes with it.

The interesting part I saw were movies like Air Force One that actually give more picture than the theatrical release when presented in full because of the film it is shot on (Super 8?). I think it also said some directors prefer to shoot a movie that way and don't like 16x9 presentation.

I was little miffed when I realized the widescreen presentation of the original Transformer movie is cropped off of the full screen one I grew up watching. There is actually some picture lost on the WS presentation. But also believe it is true to the theatrical release.

Here's the TF movie info.

LINK

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not true, there are younger idiots as well "Why do all of the movies have the top and bottom chopped off with bars?" is something I've heard out of people in their 20's.

And about that zoom button on the remote... I hate that thing. I used to have a roommate that was the opposite of all of the widescreen haters. "How come you always leave the tv set so there's bars on the sides if you're watching a channel that isn't in widescreen?" My response being "bitch, it aint your TV, don't watch it if you don't like it", and I'd still find the thing set to zoom, or stretched all the time(she swore that it didn't make everyone on tv look fat with the image stretched, must have been blind as a bat).

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey, you don't have to tell ME.

14. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

let's round up all the good folks who purport to "prefer the full screen version" and burn them for fuel. Once they're gone, we can stop worrying about differing aspect ratios.

15. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't forget all of the people who don't understand wtf hd is, even though they recently spend $1000 on a big screen tv.

Then maybe all of my tv channels will be in widescreen hd.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    A couple of years ago, my brother-in-law got me the Indiana Jones DVD collection for Christmas. I was like "Yeah! Indiana Jo -wha... full screen?"

17. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You should have no problem exchanging it. I did the same thing with one of the Harry Potter movies. I went right back and exchanged it without an issue (I think it helps that the purchase/return were within 30 minutes of each other).

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sallah's ass was cut in half, and Indy's whip missed the log in Raiders because it wasn't on the screen.

19. Blaster_Prime

I feel your pain...a while back I was planning on getting the special edition 300 DVD but I didn't have the cash...knowing my mom (she still spoils me) I specifically told her not to buy it for me...sure enough she did...here's how it went...

"300?? Mom, thanks but I asked you not to...full screen single disk edition?"
    "Stop and Shop had it for like $13 so I figured I'd get it for you ^^"
    *still cries himself to sleep at night*

As for my dillema with the Simpsons DVD, my roommate gave me a good idea...go into Walmart and claim I didn't know it was full screen until I already opened it and if they need further convincing point out the tiny ass print on the front. As long as I have the recipt it shouldn't be a problem.

20. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I have a theory that many people when faced with the choice between a "wide screen" version and a "full screen" version don't understand what the difference actually is so they choose full screen because, "Hey THIS is 'full'! The other version must be missing something!" At least that's what I think happened when I got a full screen Spiderman for Christmas.