BCS mystery solved.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BCS releases formula for automatic qualification - Yahoo! News

BCS releases formula for automatic qualification

who's surprised?

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why can't we just dump the BCS....... it is just so stupid. When was the last time we had a REAL college football Champion?

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well said just have a Damned tourney already XD and use the bowls for the tourny games and rotate the championship between the big name bowls

4. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a plan that makes sense? not in college football lol

5. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    LOL sadly thats true

6. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    In before Jeremy and his Alabama is a true champion rant......................

Love ya buddy!!!!

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    This.

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    College football definetly needs a tournament to crown a champion.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, we ARE the champions....

the system is bureaucratic rigamarole, but it ain't like we're gonna see a fix anytime.
    (though fixes are often in...somewhere, lol.)

been watching the draft. bye guys, good luck in the pro's.

10. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd say the system, in regards to determining national champions, has worked fairly well. Other than 2004 with the AP/BCS split that is. Unless you are going on that "OMG Boise State woulda kicked Florida/Alabama's ass!!!" argument - which has ZERO merit - then how could you not see? :lol 

You know me so well...

[​IMG]

11. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

The problem with the BCS is that it's built solely on sponsor revenue at this point. I mean, look at this list and be amazed at the amount of crap games that get recognition because of the product slapped onto the front. I mean, come on: Bell Helicopter? Meineke? Beef 'O' Brady's? With the exception of Texas & New Mexico (woo, go us, I guess) every bowl game has a corporation slapped onto the front--meaning that the instant a playoff system is implemented, all those sponsor dollars go out the window. Plus, we might potentially see Ohio State or Michigan get humiliated by TCU and no one wants that. :2c: 

12. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    you have hit the nail on the head as to why unless they get the sponsers on board with it we will never get a NCAA football tourney. Money! for the more minor bowls it may not be that much of a problem but for the more well known bowls and yet not major bowl they won't be pleased at be just one game in a tourney. Still it needs to be done as BCS is half ass at best it does cut down on the controversy but it doesn't end it.

13. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    As explained by an athletic director I used to work with: I admit that there's a bit of 'conspiracy theory' to it, but....

It's not the sponsors of the bowl games, it's the tv networks. A majority of those toilet bowl games end up with the sponsor paying the tv networks to cover them. That's why they're picky with some of the team selections where the bids are not automatic. They still need teams that "travel well" for some bowls, because they have to get the ticket sales in order to make money. They end up paying the networks to cover the games, and guess who gets paid the most - ABC/ESPN. Guess who has the largest stake in the BCS process? ABC. Ever wonder why ESPN and ABC don't give a rat's ass about a playoff system? Ever wonder why the subject doesn't come up more in ESPN's media?

I will admit that the process has gotten a little bit better since the stupidity of the Nebraska/Miami championship game a few years ago, but just like last year (and every year) showed, the process is still broken and stupid. As long as polls play a big part of the rankings, it's skewed toward teams that may not deserve it - the rankings protect 1-loss teams that start high in the polls, and penalize undefeated teams that are not highly ranked until later in the season. As long as rankings play a part in the tiebreak process (Big 12 two years ago), it's going to be broken (though I agreed with the result of that tiebreak, it was still a broken system). As long as some conferences have an automatic bid and some do not, it's going to be unfair in some way shape or form.

14. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    There is not going to be a perfect solution. You book a tournament and then everyone will find something else to bitch about.

I don't think anyone can disagree with the two teams that played for the title this year. While the bowl selections themselves are flawed, the past few years the championship game has been right.

And the automatic bids go to the big boy conferences; I'm sorry, but right now MAC isn't one of them. Fans can argue all they won't, but playing one big game a year and winning one every now and then doesn't put you on the same level as the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, etc. Yes, Boise State beat Oklahoma a couple of years ago, but in recent years got smacked by Georgia. Hawaii got killed by them a couple of years ago.

15. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I 100% disagreed with the teams this year. A playoff would be the perfect solution because everyone gets a chance. In the BCS, only the big schools will EVER get a chance to play and what has this created?

You have big schools that schedule tons of 1-aa opponents because they know their schools reputation will get them into the big game. Can you imagine if Notre Dame Ran the tables and bumped Bama out of the title game? would have have been fair?

The league that benefits the most out of this system is the SEC. They go to the Championship game (no matter what) against Ohio State, Texas, OKlahoma and CRUSH them.

Why is that? Because those teams are all examples of schools that schedule Division 1-AA, High school teams year in and year out.

Say what you will, but yeah maybe Boise State wouldn't make it in the SEC, Big 10, etc BUT.... in a one game single elimination tournament? You bet your ass they have a chance.

Who thought BYU would CRUSH OKlahoma? Appalachian State over Michigan? UTAH OVER ALABAMA...

Give the little guys a chance. Are you telling me Goliath wins all the time?

call me crazy, but David can kick some ass sometimes.

Also, what would be the harm in a playoff? If Bama, Florida, LSU are the best teams in the country, they can't be scared of little Boise state are they?

16. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Dude, you are so far off base.

Yes, all the big conferences schedule one or two weak opponents - out of 12 - but that is primarily because the conference schedule is so brutal you have to have a break at some point. we still, for the most part, schedule a big OOC game each year.

What you fail to recognize is that the talent level is heads and shoulders above that of the smaller conferences. The talent level is ridiculous in the SEC, Big 12, etc. compared to the SWAC, MAC, MWC, etc. Yes, BS got up to beat Oklahoma, because that was the biggest game of their life. Same with Utah/Bama. But that wasn't the biggest game BY FAR for these two - those lie in the conference games.

This whole argument stems from the smaller schools who play shit schedules all year and then bitch about not being in a championship game. You add a playoff, you take away the reason for playing a tough schedule. When Boise, TCU, Utah, etc., man up and get in a conference that toughens them up, they will be taken as serious title contenders. Until then, the notion of a tournament is ridiculous because it would be evening the playing field in the post season when teams such as Boise and Utah fail to play tough regular season schedules. That's not fair at all. SOS has to count for something, Chris.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I would love a bowl playoff tourney

make them all fight it out then have the last two go head to head.(every year rotate the champ between the top bowls)

Everyone wins,makes money and no one can bitch about the results.

And get rid of half of the god awful 5-5 V 4-6 games.

18. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    One question? if they are that damned good of a team to play a tough schedule. what do they have to fear in a tourney? I say put up or shut up! a Tourney is whats needed and its money and fear of losing to a so called weaker team that prevents it from happening. in conclusion if the SEC "powerhouses" think they are so much better than the lesser conferences, man up and play in a tourney and see what happens.

19. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Its just really mind blowing to me. Honestly, you can't say anyone that wins the BCS title is the true Champion. Was Texas, USC, LSU, Florida, Bama the best teams in the country during that season? I don't know, everyone can make an argument for another school and the argument usually goes like this.

School A DESTROYED school C by 20. HOWEVER, school B beat up school c by 40 so school B must be the superior team. (I'm in a big 12 state and thats how we measure teams. How bad did you beat Baylor? lol)

Talent on teams... sure I admitted Boise and TCU don't have the NFL players some of the other conferences do but does that mean they don't get a chance?

Sure, on paper Bama and the rest of the SEC are superior to 99% of all the other schools in the nation but what does paper really mean? Ask the Redskins how they feel about being the paper champions.

Its like Herm Edwards said

"YOu play to win the game!"

We are in America, in a country that preaches "You can become whatever you set your mind on because your an American". Except in College Football, because if you don't go to a big name school, your worthless. However, how does an invitation to the Gaylord Music city bowl sound?

To me, its just unthinkable. I've pretty much switched back to the NFL because of this. At least in the nfl, sure you could play in the inferior NFC/AFC West divisions, but you still get a chance.

20. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Because you guys are talking about "fairness". How fair is it that Bama can play 12 regular season games with a SOS ranked #2 and still have to play many of the same teams again we have already beaten, while Boise, with a SOS of 81 can play shit teams yet because they went undefeated they should be able to be in a playoff.

The "put up or shut up!" argument actually goes against what you are saying. Thank you for making my point. Put up or Shut up in the regular season, don't play a bunch of pussy teams then bitch you got left out of the BCS championship game. No team with a SOS ranked at #81 should be in ANY championship game.

BTW, the SEC powerhouses ARE better than the smaller conferences, and that is proved year in and year out. Seriously, do you even watch football?

Yes, you can. Do you honestly think TCU or Boise would have beaten either Bama or Texas this year? Do you think they would have beaten Florida (a team we destroyed), LSU, etc.? Any rational fan could tell you with a resounding "NO".

Again, Chris, if the smaller teams want to play for a championship, create tougher schedules! The regular season IS a playoff. There is no way in hell that Boise playing such a horridly weak schedule should get the same treatment as Bama, playing an SEC and OOC schedule ranked #2 in the country!

You can't really measure based on how badly one team beats another, for sure. But you can measure on a cumulative basis. That's the point of playing a regular season and setting your schedule in advance to play tough teams.

Play a tougher regular season schedule - not the #81 and #26 SOS in the nation, and then you would have a case to bitch.

Not the NFL. You are comparing apples to oranges, dude. Paper means a lot when it's put into practice on the field. Again, SOS is important. How you don't grasp that is perplexing, cause I figure you to be a pretty intelligent guy. I think you are just on a soap box to prove a point regardless of how deep you keep burying your argument.

Like Bear Bryant said, "we win the games against quality opponents"

Great if you are Auburn. But, seriously, the rest of the paragraph leaves me with a WTF? look on my face.

Because the NFL is completely different. NOT. THE. SAME.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010