BBTS Pile of Loot - What's the freaking point?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by llamatron, Sep 15, 2008.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok first up not sure if this was the right section to put this so mods feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.

I was looking at getting a few small items from BBTS but international shipping makes it very unfeasible unless you're getting a decent amount of stuff (doesn't help that BBTS overcharge like crazy for shipping). So I thought I would try out this "Pile of Loot" thing so later on I can add some heavier items and get it all shipped at once. I tried to go through with this but they want me to pay shipping on this order up front. So, uh, what's the friggin' point in having a pile of loot? You've got to pay the shipping now for whatever you order, why just let it sit there and do nothing if it's not going to save you any money at all? What am I missing here? Am I expecting too much to be able to pay for items now and have them sit in my pile and then pay shipping whenever I decide to get them sent?

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

They do?

Been a while since i purchased anything from them, but my memory is that their international shipping charges are pretty close to actual charges, with a few extra dollars on top.

3. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The shipping that's charged as each addition item goes in is only the extra cost of sending that item with the rest. So if the item doesn't cost any extra to ship with the rest of your pile of loot no extra shipping cost would be charged.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good question; from the site:
    So for example, I spend about $8-10K with BBTS a year, but only have my POL shipped about every four months.

Over the course of that four months, as I add new items to the pile, shipping for each item is sometimes like $1.50 or $2.00 ea., as we're just basically throwing it into the same box with everything else.

So the freaking point is, if you purchase a lot and don't need things shipped right away (i.e., can wait for the pile to build up), you save a bundle on shipping. Is it as advantageous for smaller purchases? Probably not as much.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hypothetical example based on some of my own orders:

(1) I order an item and add it to my PoL; right away, up front, I'm charged ~$8.00 for shipping it. I leave my PoL until something else comes up, order that and add it to my PoL. However, since I'm shipping both items together now, the second item only incurs an extra shipping fee of ~$2.00 on top of the ~$8.00 I had before (IIRC, shipping has a base rate for any package that goes out, plus $X per pound or something to that effect). Total = $10.00 shipping.

(2) I order an item and ship it right away. I'm charged ~$8.00 shipping for that item. Later, I order another item and ship that one as soon as I order it. I'm charged ~$8.00 for shipping that package as well (base rate + charge per pound). Total = $16.00 shipping.

Savings with PoL = $6.

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:

Yeah, but I still miss the good old days of $4.99 shipping.:lol 

And what the heck is up with Priority shipping through the post office? I was going to have 1 Henkei deluxe shipped that way, but it was $16, what the hell?:eek: 

I'd ordered 1 deluxe and 1 Voyager Henkei from Captured Prey last week and it was around 10 bucks, sheesh.

7. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $4 Gasoline
    nuff said

8. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Jeezus....

I mean, good for you, but damn...

9. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Yeah you pay shipping right away when you use the pile of loot. The idea for this is that your order is always fully paid, when you're ready you just hit the button and your stuff will be ready to ship already, no need to wait for another payment to slow things down.

And you do save money on shipping with the pile of loot. If you buy for exemple something at 10$ and get quoted 16$ on shipping in the checkout, you'll pay 26$ if it's the first item you add in the pile of loot. If you already have something in your pile, you'll still get quoted 16$, but it will not add up to your total when you complete the transaction. It could add a few bucks on your shipping total, or maybe not change at all when it's small items.

10. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

BBTS's charges for Priority Mail and Parcel Post are completely out of hand.
    I know for a fact that you can ship 1-2 Deluxe Class figures, on card, in a box (Priority or own packaging) for $5.00 plus tracking. There's no reason for them to charge $16.00. I should know, I've been buying and selling like crazy all Summer.

That's one of the reasons I don't buy from BBTS unless I absolutely have to. Hell, I've had better shipping deals out of private sellers on eBay.

I did buy Animated Wave 4 figures from them for two reasons:
    1.) They had all of them at once. (Saved on shipping that way. That UPS charge wasn't too bad $11.00 for a Leader and two Deluxes.)
    2.) The Pile Of Loot ensured that I had all of them at once and shipped at once. (which is not only money saving, but time saving as well.

Beyond that, without a sale, or a really good deal... their prices are somewhat out of hand.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, I have to say that BBTS' priority charges are totally overboard. I buy and sell regularly on eBay and I know for a fact that one carded figure can be sent Priority for about $7 or so dollars (depending on where it's going of course thanks to the weird area charges the post office is doing now). Though, I have to say that this is basically a bi-product of the way the USPS is doing business nowadays and not something that is totally BBTS fault as a larger business doesn't have the time to research exact rates like an eBay seller can. Their overcharging on USPS shipping methods started when USPS increased their rates and added those pesky inflation/area code/unknown fees that can make one scratch their head for a few hours.

Also, yeah, I miss when BBTS had their flat rate shipping. It was cool to be able to order something and pay only $4.99 to ship... they increased it to $6.99 after awhile and than flat rate just went away altogether, but considering the gas prices you can't really blame them for that one. Still, if you order a lot for BBTS than the POL more than makes up for it. The amount of business I do with them is pretty darned close to what SOL does so I can't really complain as, if I were to actually calculate my saving with the POL, I've probably saved at least a couple $100 in shipping charges that way.

12. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V I protect those I care 4

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to recognize that...

13. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

i just used this feature for the first time today, not because i wanted to save on shipping, but because i'm going to be going off to school at the end of the week and i want to be here when it arrives. i got the "evolution of a hero bumblebee two pack" on sale for just 7 bucks over retail (without shipping). but this feature does seem pretty cool, from now until thanksgiving (when i come home) if i buy stuff, shipping won't be so bad :) .

edit: and i thought bbts only charges actual shipping fees. like i thought they don't make profit off shipping.

14. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

The post office raised their rates a while back for small parcel shipping.

It's cheaper (with better service!) to use UPS or FedEx for something like that now.

15. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    wish they had cheaper rates to canada thou

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    And cheaper rates to Greece as well.

Most of the times the shipping I pay is about 60% of the total item price, which is not cool at all.

17. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I stopped using BBTS precisely because of shipping costs and the fact that they declare full amount for customs. They have a great service, but along the year it's cheaper for me to take risks with eBay.

18. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Last I remember, when it comes to international shipping BBTS charge just a few extra dollars on top of what USPS charge them to ship internationally.

"Cool" or not, it sounds more like your problem is with USPS, not BBTS.

19. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

i'm gonna start using it i think, i'll let you know how it works out

20. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Gas, as already mentioned, and the added agitation towards the mail-person who has to actually get out of their truck.

I'm pretty sure my mail man hates me for it. (Not kidding. I get a furrowed brow and kurt "Thanks" every time he has to deliver a box to me door.)