BBs motor comes apart in transforming???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ItsStarscream, Jul 4, 2009.

1. ItsStarscream

ItsStarscream ImmortalSeekerGod

I was just at Paramounts site and was looking at this very detailed picture of Bumblebee....as I was studying it, much to my shock under his left arm what do I see but a cam gear, a crank gear and the timing chain that binds them... W T H??????????

Now really, alien metal or no, you can't go transforming a motor into its individual parts like that, expose it to dust and other elements, throw it back together and expect it to work right....that just blows my mind in a sad humorous way. Oh yea and the timing chain/gear was older style....uhhhh....all of that is just total fail IMO...

Is it possible to actually /see/ his motor coming apart like this?

2. tomboland

tomboland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    actually the alien metal bit would be a valid excuse

3. ItsStarscream

It would have to be self lubricating metal at the very least. You can't expose cylinder walls, pistons, bearings and bearing seats to dust. No to mention the valves. If all the motor components stayed internal theres the way to explain it as OK. But even just having the timing chain (which is not the style the new gubment motors Camaro would come with btw, they did away with metal chains eons ago...its a nylon belt and gears now, hell my 81 Thunderbird had a nylon belt/chain and nylon tipped gears factory)..exposed alone will cause problems in reassembly. Dust gets into the links on the chain, the teeth in the gears between the chain...seize up time on the way...

Its a detail that everyone overlooked maybe out of sheer ignorance or maybe thinking 'we' are too stupid to notice? *shrug*

4. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Look at BBs thighs. Each one has a differential (inside of the rear axle) in it. They just stuck car parts on it to make it look cool.

Also the timing chain is correct for even the new camaro.

5. ItsStarscream

It is???? Why did they go back old style???? Got a link about this?

EDIT

Actually the nylon belt/gear teeth was total crap. I havent really kept up with automotive BS over the years, least of all Gutless Motors. It does make sense to go back to metal gears and teeth. All metal wont fail as fast as the plastic crap did..although the timing chain assembly on my Tbird lasted for 57,000 miles!!! That was a record. LOL I dont know how its first 49,000 miles were (though it did look soft)... the 8 thousand I put in him before it was changed was hard and to the wall.... <_<

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I doubt Bumblebee runs on actual petroleum combustion. His engine just has to look real in vehicle mode.

7. ItsStarscream

You have a point. But in his alternate mode that 'motor' has to act, sound, respond like a GM powerplant. How would he get around the environment exposure for it apart in root mode and for that matter even his rear end components exposed as another poster just pointed out too.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's a good point. Howver, for Transformers to survive and function well, even regardless of alternate modes, I think it's reasonable to assume that Transformers have some kind of self-cleaning function. We know in both the movies and in multiple G1-related sources that they're at least partly composed of nanomachine "cells", so perhaps there are nanomachines responsible for keeping everything clean.

9. FriskyPinewood

They never went away from the 'old style'. The whole timing chain assembly is sealed behind the timing cover on the front of the engine and feed oil as the it runs. Timing belts are external from the engine oil as it breaks down the rubber in the belt. Your 81' T-bird likely had Ford's 2.3L turbo SOHC inline 4, common at the time.

Maybe I should make some posts explaining how engines work. Not trying to offend, but its what I got my degree in.

10. FriskyPinewood

The shot of BBs engine in TF1 when Megan Fox is looking it over was an "insert shot" not the actual engine in the car. But of a mockup...its actualy pretty funny to car guys as the mockup engine had an Inglese injector manifold on it...But Megan kept refering to the carburator.

11. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

LOL. Alrighty then.

12. ItsStarscream

Thank you. I did already know what you described above (Ive changed a few in my lifetime and probably will a few more before its over) and I respect that you have a degree in it. what I meant by 'old style' was the material used in said timing gear/chain assembly. I also know just from hands on experience that at one time the nylon belts/nylon toothed gears were pretty common factory. You could go down to your local parts store and get a metal replacement for it (as I did when the Tbird blew its) but at least for some makes/models, it was standard equipment for a time. I might have not worded it correctly but Ive always known the metal chain/gears never went away. I just meant that for a time they were not that in everything that rolled off the assembly line (bug the nylon nonsense instead).

Oh my Tbird had its original 255//2bbl V8... ;)  (Ive never owned a 4 banger in my life (only '4 bangers' I touch are electric [4string] basses)....I've always been V8 and always will be if I can help it) It was a Town Landau that had the 'European package' or some such. Its running lights/turn signals, drivetrain etc or something like that. I didnt know, some Tbird guru was telling me all about it one day (Im into Tbirds totally but not all the variations of the 80-82 years) I know the car did have some funky lights down low factory for its turn signals in the front...freak car that I sold 4 years ago (after 12 years of awesomeness)... I still see it around sometimes...pisses me off too. . . LOL

ADD

LOL I did watch the first movie and noticed that as well.

13. ItsStarscream

Oops, missed your post...You got a good point there too... holy crap, we agreed on something!! :thumbs2: 

14. FriskyPinewood

Sorry, when you started mentioning "nylon timing belt/chain" I assumed you ment timing belts. But now that things have become clearer, I do recall Ford did some pretty funky things with that 255 V-8. It didn't last long, within a few years they were stuffing full roller cams in mustangs and the like.

as per BBs engine, I loved the totaly retro "cammer" style valve covers they used...they were all the rage like 20 years ago. :p 

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Let me get this straight...the OP is concerned over the fact the guts of BB's engine are explosed when in robot mode because of the fact normal engines would be damaged by dust if their internals were exposed?

Uh, last I checked, TF's WERN'T built from the same metals actual earth cars are. With that fact, BB's engine could be made from a kind of metal that can take the abuse, because he's A TRANSFORMING ROBOTIC ALIEN from SPACE.

16. FriskyPinewood

Uh, last I checked TFs wern't real to begin with dood!

OPs concern is about alt mode internal engine pieces being used to detail the robot mode. Doesn't matter what fictional space metal he is made of. The details are not there to be realistic, only to look cool.

17. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Yeah. Pretty much.

18. ItsStarscream

Man 225s just RAWK (and yes they will get up and go too)!! I love my big block MoPars but Im sucker for a small block Ford...booyah Though my fav FoMoCo powerplant is the only 'intermediate' block as Ive seen it termed in writing, ever made...the Badass 351C. One of my Fords now has its original 351C...2bb so I don't have the boat anchor heads. My other Ford has its original 351W (love the Cs and the Ws but have no use for the 400modifieds to be honest)..I love Windsors as well but the 302 is just right and tight and all a 255 is, is an underbored 302. I had at one time planned to keep that 'rare' bird for life (until my childhood dream car came long and the bird had to go) and was calling around to get some spare parts for it to stash away and found out to my horror that the 255 was just some 'experimental' motor out for only a couple of years or some such... I was looking at either boring it out to a 302 when rebuild time came or just replacing it with a 302...so sad...

I vaguely remember those valve covers and they did rock. ^_^

Uh yea actually yea. They were supposed to be represented as 'real'. You don't be throwing internals from a motor around on the outside of the robots body and expect people to think thats ok and believable...

It doesnt matter what type of metal its made of..dust is dust. No matter what metal its made of you cant sit there and have pieces of your drivetrain all over your body, get into a fire fight and have dust and rocks and dirt and debris flying all over the stuff and expect to reassemble it when you TF to alternate mode and drive off like everythings working fine...self lubricating/self cleaning system is the only thing it can be...and really thats just fan conjecture to explain the stupid idea of having all that stuff just scattered everywhere on his body just to make him look 'cool'...realism was tossed aside for 'cool' and to people that know better, it fell flatter then hell ....with at least this person...

19. FriskyPinewood

Yeah the 351C is a awsome engine. I like most of those V-8s, even the ones American Motors stuffed in the Javlin,etc are pretty cool. But I'm a Pontiac fan through and through. I used to drag my full Poncho 72' T/A back in the 1990s, fun but harder then it looks...especialy with a stickshift.

Reminds me there used to be a guy running a blown flathead six at the track that could blow the doors off race built big blocks, damn impressive.

Its pretty cool the movie bots have all these details, but its pretty clear the designers didn't think about it much when putting them on...almost like they did a google image search for car parts and just used what they thought looked cool...Works as an inside joke for gearheads, doesn't make much sense, but its fun to notice such things.

20. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Do we really need to question the placement of car parts on GIANT TRANSFORMING ROBOTS?!

Anyway, maybe the transformers are made of some kind of Metal/Steel Alloy that protects the car parts.