Bayformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tanukiyasha, May 17, 2010.

1. Tanukiyasha

Tanukiyasha Ancient Transformer

Ebay:
    Being a avid G1 fan, I remember loving the first live action Transformers Movie, but completely horrified with the toy line. The toyline was completely repulsive with my GEEWUUUN mentality, and so I passed up the toy line entirely, not even giving it a chance. I had this mindset even after RoTF debuted and the new toy line released.

However, by that point, they toy line slowly started to grow on me, and I discovered that they aren't that bad. So I gave the RoTF line a chance, and I have to say I like it, although most of it has to do with getting my head out of my ass as a hard-core G1 style fan. So now I've been collecting a lot of the RoTF line, and just about all of the previous line. Although some of them are still kinda fugly. I also think the RoTF line has also done better in toy design than the first movie line. The robot modes are unique, and the alt-modes are very impressive.

Bottom line, give Bayformers a chance like I eventually did, you may find out you're missing out on a lot of great toys to collect.

There is so much more to transformers than Generation One.

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Good for you; giving Bayformers a try. If Geewunners could get over their hatred of everything not G1, there are some really nice toys in the ROTF and Animated lines.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think it's friggin' awesome you gave something new a chance! :thumb 

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Congratulations! Good to see people giving the line a chance. I really like a lot of the original, toy only figures.

5. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

Well I'm a G1 fan first and foremost, and have tried the new movie lines, the one thing that has turned me off alot on them is some of them you need a mechanical degree to just transform them.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good stuff, it's hard to deny that many of them are engineering marvels. I worry that folks who got turned off by the movie designs have written off giving the toys a chance, as many are absolutely top notch.

True, but this is what I like about them... have to agree that for this reason, it was a good idea for Hasbro to have two lines at the deluxe price point (regular deluxe and FABs) so the target audience had something at that size.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

What's funny is that I actually like the movies for what they are, and only dislike the movie designs in toy form.

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Nice. I love G1 AND the movies. The movie have been the only line that was like G1. REAL vehicles that transform into bots. Not made up or "futuristic" vehicles that don't exist. That's why I love the movie and the figures. I hate animated.

So my collection is basically, G1, classics, and movie.

9. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, the new movie toy lines do seem to be overly complex sometimes, but then that's more a function of how goddamn cool they are!
    The ROTF line is what really got me back into TF's, because it upholds what I originally liked about TF's. That is, they look like real cars, but transform into cool robots!

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You should get some Alternators. Based on this, I think you'd dig them a lot.

11. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not a big fan of the movie toys myself, but there have been a few I had to buy like Bludgeon, Mindwipe, Brawn, Leader Prime & Megatron, and a few others that caught my eye.

For me I love realistic vehicle modes and complex transformations, but I don't like insect looking faces and chicken legs. I working on modding my Mindwipe so he can stand up straight.

It's a depends on what you like... I didn't like Beast Wars at first, but it grew on me... it's not really happening with the "Bayformers". Which sucks because the style will be with us for at least another 5 years or longer. With little breaks like Universe/Classics/Generations. Oh well :) 

12. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    I love the ROTF line as it shows the capabilities of what a toy company can do to create a product that is extremely accurate alt. mode and an accurate, extremely fun, and poseable robot mode. Sometimes I can get lost in how many individual and detailed parts it takes to make just one figure. Hasbro/TakaraTomy have definitely gone a very long way since the simpler days of G1.

:lol  I agree with you on this, especially when it comes to ROTF Leader Class Optimus Prime. It scares me to think about giving a toy like this to a 10 year old.

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally with you there man! I got a Leader Prime for my son's collection, and it really brought home to me that he's going to have to wait a LONG LONG time before getting his hands on that! I started just collecting the Legends series for that reason, but things got a bit out of hand :rolleyes: 

14. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Movie toys are not supposed to replace the Transformers Universe, but complement it. It is just one more series of toys in the Transformers continuity. It is different than all the previous toy lines because they were designed by Michael Bay and his production team as opposed to traditional Transformers toy designers (though Hasbro had to take Bay's designs and make them into toys). I like the Movie series because most of all the designs are based on real life alt modes and they really look like alien robots as opposed to traditional humanoid robots, which leads to very creative designs like Arcee and Scalpel. One cannot dispute the fact that Movie Transformers are among the most original Transformers designs ever created (where else have we seen so many characters lack 2 proper feet and not have 5 fingers on each hand?). In no way is the movie supposed to replace the G1 series. People obsessed with the more traditional Transformers designs are really wasting their time and energy if they have to attack the Movie series because it does not make a difference. G1 will still and always remain G1 and the Movie will take own separate path.

15. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think they're nice.

16. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    There seems to be a notion that to dislike Bayformers is to be closed-minded when that doesn't have to be the case at all. I like G1 - largely because it was first and put an idea in my head of what a TF should look like. BW came along and expanded that definition. Bayformers, like Animated, etc is just the next permutation that expands on the universe. That said, I like the G1 aesthetic. I like the BW aesthetic. I don't like most movie designs and therefore don't like most of the toys. I can appreciate the engineering behind it, but since I'm predominately a 'displayer', I'm not going to pay money for an impressive transformation if I don't like what it looks like.

17. Tanukiyasha

Ebay:
    Thanks! I like alot of the animated toys too!

Thanks! I'm really glad I have now!

Yeah, this part is true. But I also love a challenge! Leader Prime and Mixmaster were total nightmares though.

Yeah, I was getting kinda sick of unrealistic alt-modes too. I love the originality of the Movie lines.

Yes! I love the looks of REAL cars!

18. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not a GEEWUUNER, but I'll pitch in here.
    I wasn't born into G1, but looking back on the toys, thanks to Mark Bellemo's guide, I can honestly say that, the toys were great for their age and play value.
    Don't hate me for saying my opinion, G1'er's.
    The Bayformers where what got me into Transformers, and thus, having owned 5 of them ,I can say that they're awesome.

19. Tanukiyasha

Ebay:
    Yeah, the insect faces and chicken legs are a little bit of a turn off, but I jsut keep in mind that they're suppose to be aliens. XD

Yes, you have to marvel at the engineering on these movie toys!

Oh god leader Prime.... x.x

That's right! They're all just one big multiversal family!

20. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

I couldn't have said that any better myself.