Bayformers vs G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by 0MEGATR0N, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

Do you think that G1 style transformers could have worked in the fims,maybe a slight update but still recognizable?im sure this part of the question has been mulled over ALOT but why did bay have to go so far off the beaten path when it came to the appearance of the robots?

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The Transformers brand thrives on change. Might as well try something completely different.

3. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

but the G1 tf's were so beyond their time that even 25 or 30 yrs later i feel the look (with a few modern tweeks) could have not only worked but surpassed bay's look by miles,no?

4. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

I can't imagine the G1 designs working for a live action movie...

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's possible just look at how other films have updated older characters. Instead of the Doc Ock from the old cartoon we got Doc in a trench coat and some really cool looking arms that were more advanced looking than the old cartoon arms.

Transformers has the advantage of the robots being CGI so that leaves lots and lots of creative freedom. I don't think it was a case of the robots couldn't look anything like G1 because just look at Prime. I think it was a case of for whatever reason the film makers wanted to cast off the past. Some film makers embrace the old fans as built in fan base and others cast off the old fans in the hopes it will seem all hip and cool to the teens.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fan CGIs showed it was possible. Where the deviation begins, much like Godzilla, is straying from a japanese design sensibility for a more Americanized and organic looking robot.

As already said the movies are not G1 continuity so shouldn't even be compared. I hate the robot designs myself but loved the first movie and the fight scenes in the second, albeit crappy story, second movie.

YouTube - Real Transformers (re-edited)

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Either way, it's nothing new as was mentioned earlier. Tf, X-Men, Spider-Man, even the new Thor movie have dviated visually from the source material. I'm assuming like all of those, once DOTM has come out, the series will be re-booted in a few years, and maybe the designs will be toned down a little. If you look at the designes from Tf Prime, I think those robots are the perfect mesh between the classic style and the movie style, and those would definitely work in a live action movie.

8. Jennytronic

Jennytronic New Member

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think Classics/Universe and/or Alternators-styled TFs would've looked fantastic on the big screen.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    "Beyond their time"? That's a joke, right?

As for surpassing Bay's design, that's completely a matter of opinion. For example, I think Ironhide's movie design is one of the greatest TF designs ever. Sure, that's by no means an attempt to say that Bayverse designs are end all be all, but that's the case with G1 as well. There's duds and gems in every gen.

11. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

In short, no. People discuss the Prime designs...imagine those next to real people. Real people next to a robot makes the need for the robot to look very real, and detailed...you can't have giant smooth surfaces, blocky designs etc.

I don't like the movie designs...but I understand that anything else would look dumb.

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Movie Designs are the best!

13. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Alternators proved that the G1 designs can look damn good modernized. while at the same time having real interiors.
    I can't help but think that it could have worked to have more blocky designs in the live action films... but in the same breath, I feel it just wouldn't have had that same realistic quality that made the first film great.

14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    the movie designs are great and real looks. well almost. and it good at that
    g1 in my mind is like steam boat Mickey mouse. it the original, a classic and everyone enjoys the original look.

15. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

Pretty much, remember Transformers are not robots in the sense that humans built them, they are "living, breathing beings" so they have to look alive. the closest to G1 you'll could've gotten would have been something like Don figuroa designs for the ongoing, and remember how you all loved them. All the mechanical complexity make them look special and intricate (cause they are). G1 transformers were meant to look like robots in the essence of Gundam, and they were FAR from amazing, the movie formers are designed to look like Aliens and robots, and love them or hate them, you should respect the amount of time and detail that went into developing the individual transformers.
    Who here honestly believes that G1 formers would have gotten the first transformers movie nominated for the oscars SFX when it came out(and stolen by GC, damn novel adaptation).

16. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

In terms of live action, the G1 aesthetic doesn't hold up; the boxy, unsegmented designs restrict motion, while the simplistic transformations prevent the Transformers from truly blending in, as well as affecting their proportions in robot mode. Even the Alternators aren't free of this problem; their proportions are absolutely hideous. Many of them can't touch their left shoulder with their right hand. Many of them have bulky, obstructive chests and calves, along with tiny arms. In order to explain the transformations in G1, fans had to come up with mass-shifting and subspace.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably not. I''ve seen a billion of HOW BAYFORMERS SHOULDA BEEN DURR pics and they're all horrible.

They should just homage better original designs while in the same style.

18. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

A tweaked War For Cybertron look would work I reckon.

19. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    No.​

The end.:dj 

20. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    they are just very different and very cool in their own ways. I think Ben Procter and Josh Nizzy did a teriffic job on the bayformers and yes, they do just fine in the movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.