Bayformers A Personal Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by dpfghela, Jul 3, 2011.

1. dpfghela

dpfghela Member

I like some others lamented the first pictures of my beloved TF's in their Bayformer guise.

I like some participated in forums deriding all I came to read/see about the new direction TF were taken in.

Then I saw the first film. While it was something new and exciting it didn't really give me the TF experience I had hoped for. This problem seems to have followed every film after it.

For me the main problems are that Bay can't tell a consistent narrative. The story flits from character to character, they shout and yell, its all very bombastic, but ultimately you never seem to discover anything new about them.

The other problem is that the films action is so fast and in your face that you can barely taking in the occurrences. to see the subtleties of the action you need to repeat view which makes the film even more laborious.

And lastly, the designs of the Transformers never really did it for me. The all look like metal insects. The overly complicated designs make discerning what part of the character you are looking at very difficult in certain scenes.

Overall, I hope that TF receives a reboot by someone with some care for the source material. I also hope that if their is to be more TF films, that the designs are toned down and the action refined to a more understandable speed.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This is the understatment of the fanbase.

We just want a Transformers series that can rival something like the Dark knight or X-Men franchise.

Who says adaptations from 80's cartoons and toys can't be serious and well written. Look at Beast Wars.

3. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

This review sums the dilemma up pretty concisely. Bay also doesnt understand (or accept) that the only time he needs to add his "special touch" is during the action sequences, not the entire movie.

Peter Jackson had to make some changes in order for LOTR to flow better as a movie/story and to have MORE character development. Bay does the opposite. He consistently alters the screenplay and characterization to a point where it is unintelligible (or even there at all). He spends too much time on drivel and unhumorous humor which actually lowers the production value. Fellowship for example only had a budget of 93 mil. Thats actually 100 million less than DOTM spent. 100 MILLION. 90 minutes go by before we see the first actual multi-Bot battle on earth. 90 MINUTES! WHAT IS THE MONEY BEING SPENT ON? CGI? I think not. Phantom Menace had a budget of 115 Million and pretty much the entire movie is green screened and CGI. That movie was made almost 12 years ago using 10 year old hardware (for the public) and processing power. How can Bay go on the record and say ROTF was a mess and then go do DOTM and do the EXACT SAME THING.

I can see that Spielberg is very professional on camera and during interviews, but i sincerely hope he gives Bay a scolding behind closed doors. What could Bay possibly say to Spielberg to defend himself? "You dont know what your talking about" Please.

4. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Total agreement. The designs, while "realistic" in terms of being alien in appearance, detracted from their ability to emote/show expression and thus have the audience truly connect with them (read: it's difficult to relate to characters when you can't recognize their faces).

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Thread should be subtitled "People who understand very little about the entertainment industry".

6. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    That fight on Cybertron is a Bot battle, so about....1 minute?

7. RzaSharp

Its hilarious you always post snide comments without exhibiting the knowledge you think you have. LOL Real effective way to Defend Logic.

8. RzaSharp

On Earth.

9. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

I disagree: the complex designs make it easier for them to emote ans show expression due to the large number of moving parts in the designs. Optimus Prime's silent reaction to Sentinel Prime's betrayal in DOTM is a wonderful example of this.

Also, the designs themselves are not what necessarily make them difficult to tell apart. You can clearly tell Optimus from Bumblebee, because they are primarily blue/red and yellow, respectively. If Starscream had been red/white/blue, Blackout more blue, Shockwave purple, etc., you would be able to tell them apart. It helps even less that hardly anyone mentions the names of the Decepticons...

10. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Overall, I loved Bayformers. I was intrigued the moment the first ever teaser of a robot destroying the Mars rover came out. And when I finally watched TF1 on the big screen, I was simply awestruck.

But i'll also agree that the storytelling aspect was lacking. Plot holes, unresolved narratives, etc.

I have a keen eye for detail so following the often messy scenes wasn't too hard. In fact, I loved it, for it felt like I was thrust into the middle of all that chaos. With the exception of the Dreads and Wreckers in DoTM, I liked all the character designs througout the 3 movies very much.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to a prequel or sequel. Under which director, I'm not really concerned.

As long as it's not a reboot, then I'm happy. I want to see a new story, not the same old one retold in a different way.

11. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

THIS!
    I'm so glad to see other people on the forums who feel this way.

12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe snide, but true. You guys can argue your case all you want, but the trilogy attained the goals that it was set to do. Oh, and it was thoroughly enjoyed by millions.

THIS, makes no sense. Are you talking about movies or cartoon series here?? Yes, Beast Wars was great, but how does that equate to a multi-million dollar 2.5 hour movie?

Whats the logic? That you did not like the movies? You are entitled to your opinion, but there are 27 other threads on this forum attempting to bash the "Bayformers" franchise. There is an incessant hatred that appears needs to be vented. Speak your minds, but much of it becomes irritating and incoherently stated. Its like many of you can't come to terms with it.

I challenge and dare any of the haters to get yourself educated by whatever means, get yourself into the movie making industry and do what you all state would be SOOO MUCH better than what Michael Bay has done. I sincerely would wish you the best of luck, cause if you could accomplish something better, I am sure we would all love to see it. Stop complaining and either A) do something about it, or B) enjoy this enormously successful franchise for what it is :2c: 

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Ok, why don't I exhibit some knowledge...

Why did you see the movie in the first place? If you were bothered so much by what you saw and heard about the movie, what reason would there be to go see it?

What "TF experience" were you hoping to get beyond what we got? It was a real-world Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, transforming and fighting Decepticons. That's who they are, that's what they do.

I don't understand why people are constantly complaining about the characterization of Transformers. I know a lot of people can't or don't want to admit this, but the G1 cartoon is why these movies got made, and it's where these movies draw a lot of inspiration from.

The thing with Transformers is - and this is coming from a guy who lived and breathed G1 as a 7 year old back when it started - these are not complicated characters with rich backstories. Sure, they might have had some filled in for them later on, but when it was popular back when I was a kid, it was VERY simple. Optimus: he was the leader, and he was a truck. Jazz: he was cool and a sportscar. Bumblebee: he was annoying and yellow: Ironhide: he was a cowboy.

That's it. We didn't need to know any more about them. They were the good guys, and more importantly: they were robots who turned into cars. They were fighting the bad guys. It was a war. The bad guys were up to no good, and the good guys had to stop them.

Now let's take DOTM, and "Dino". People are saying "Oh, that damn Michael Bay, he didn't develop the character." We know he was a good guy, and we know he turned into an awesome Ferrari. Do we need to know his motivation? No. Should he go through an emotional story arc? No.

Should he do cool shit and fight Decepticons? Yes. Does he? Several times.

True, but the camera work has definitely improved over the trilogy, with DOTM featuring some outstanding work.

I hate to break it to you, but the owners of the source material - Hasbro - were involved in these movies, and they seemed to be OK with it.

First of all, that is an understatement of a small portion of the fanbase. Secondly, not everyone likes "serious" themes in their subject matter. Yeah, it worked for Dark Knight. Transformers is a completely different property. It's also a lot more expensive to produce. You simply can't expect a movie to be almost completely CGI. Batman and X-men films are cheaper because they use real people. A movie heavily featuring Transformers is going to be too expensive, and summer blockbusters are made to make money. Hollywood is a business. They are doing this for your dollar.

Yes, I realize Dark Knight made a shit ton of money. Big expensive movies can be serious and also successful. But really, all Dark Knight did was take the basic Batman concept and make it more violent and sinister.

And TF: DOTM did the exact same thing.

Yeah, because Lord of the Rings and Transformers are very similar in structure.

To YOU. It lowers it to YOU. It didn't lower it for ME.

It was 93 million in 2000 dollars. Dark of the Moon was made in 2011. Inflation brings those numbers a little closer together. And your 90 minute figure is both false and completely irrelevant. CGI is CGI, and the movie starts out with a completely CGI war scene on an alien planet. CGI is expense, when compared to filming people.

Again, inflation brings the numbers closer together (that's $115m in 1999 dollars). Also, keep in mind that George Lucas owns ILM, so that gives him a discount on the work done. Not sure what Bay, ROTF or DOTM have to do with that.

Why would he give him a scolding? For making him millions of dollars?

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Oh, so... your argument is how much money is wasted, but then in your defense you say "on earth"?
    An entirely CGI shot of Cybertron that's 5 minutes long in the very beginning of the film is meant to cost less then CGI robots on a real life shot? Yeah...
    And don't forget the 3D.

15. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Here we go again.

The three movies were amazing. But it's over. Bay and Saboof are gone. No point bitching about how you want it to change because one way or another, the next one has to be different.

16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, breaking records and earning swimming pools filled with money for the investors. I bet they gave him hell...

By any account he did exactly what he was supposed to do times a thousand.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Will the next one actually be about robots? Or just another kid going through life stages?

18. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Life stages....

Actually, I heard it was going to be called "Transformers: The Human Saga"

:lol 

19. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I'm with you OP, this third movie sucked the most.

20. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Put the time you spend bitching on the internet into creating your own movie. Michael Bay used to make cola commercials, and James Cameron was a truck driver. If you're sure you can do better, then go do better.