Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Robots in Disguise [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Hey everybody!

So sorry for the delay in replies and updates this week. Been very busy.

But I would like to share one awesome bit of news.

Yesterday, I got to meet Neil Kaplan at SC Comicon 2018. When we arrived, I knew him as Tychus from StarCraft 2 and Dominus Ghaul from Destiny 2.

What I didn't know was that he was also the voice of Optimus Prime in the original Robots in Disguise cartoon from 2001!

If you ever get a chance to meet him, do it. He is by far the nicest man I've met and is very personal and insightful. I loved it. :) 

Blog should pick back up this coming week - time permitting ;) 

EDIT: Here's a video of me asking him about voicing Dominus Ghaul in Destiny 2. I've never seen RID 2001 so it was a better question for me. :p  Sorry for the poor audio quality, I'd been holding the camera for over an hour and think my hand got close to the mic when I adjusted.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I didn't know you had a YouTube channel. (clicks link, watches video) Huh, so that's what you sound like. (checks out channel) Aaaaannnd... subscribed.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CaptainSlayer

Haha, thank you!

I've shared pictures of myself over the years here (particularly my wedding) but not many, if any videos.

I also run a gaming community called 'Panic Nation', feel free to check that channel out if you'd like, but it's on a bit of sit still at the moment while a friend and I put together a new show.

Also, the way I sound, I know almost everyone gets it, but when I watch the video I linked, I have to skip past my talking parts because my own voice makes me cringe xD

Since I've only gotten one sub, I'll assume it's you and resub in return <3

• Like Like x 2
  4. CaptainSlayer

Metal Meltdown

Alright, that was a lot of development in a single episode - even without seeing half the Autobots.

First of all, shout out to Kickback for standing his ground and turning down Steeljaw's 'apology'. I'm proud of that little guy for standing up to his betrayer, despite the fact that he later gets called a coward at the end of the episode.

Second, watching the new team dynamic between Grimlock and Strongarm develop was an interesting change of pace and brought focus onto the existing dynamic the latter had with Sideswipe even though they had the whole love/hate relationship going on.

Lastly, that was a LOT of new Decepticons!

Originally, I wrote that the scorpion looking con was probably inspired by Scorponok but then I went back and watched the credits for the end of the episode and am please to confirm it's none other than the man himself! His reappearance, though I'm sure he'll be much different from his Beast Wars counterpart, makes me extremely optimistic for other potential returning characters.

But on the other hand, Saberhorn is probably my favorite new character to be introduced in the series. His design, charisma and combat style are all so fluid and perfect. Add the details that he's a pirate and was imprisoned on the Alchemor yet Fixit has no record of him makes for an interesting mysterious backstory to the character that I really hope gets developed upon.

Unfortunately, the introduction of all these new characters makes me feel like the chances of the Season One cast of bad guys being set free is slimmer. It looks like the creators wanted to go with a more capable/professional group of baddies this time around and while I'm all for it - I do hope a few of our old frienemies get set free.

Buuuut the Underbite clones being used doesn't give me much hope.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I can’t wait until you watch an upcoming episode where I can reveal something that is going to make you facepalm. Nothing plot wise or anything, however there is a subtle clue that foreshadows something a little down the line. For those who want to know what I’m talking about, open the spoiler below.

Bumblebee fighting Bisk in the intro. This is a spoiler since Bisk was freed by Steeljaw in “Misdirection.”

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  6. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Yes, the season really begins and what a phenomenal episode to witness. Everyone loves Saberhorn, and I do mean everyone. He's got a cool design, a great voice, and a unique personality for someone who's called a pirate. An honorable person, well about as honorable as a Decepticon can get until a fight starts to go south. He even is one of the uncommon bot to animal formers instead of the normal animal to vehicle guys.

So I want to give some huge respect to Bumblebee this time around. He had to deal with Saberhorn by himself and did a fine job too. It was a cool way to show how far he's come from the inexperienced from Prime to a seasoned fighter now.

So Steeljaw finally returns, and Kickback as well, who was the only other con from season 1 that wasn't captured. Understandably Kickback wasn't happy playing the part of a decoy, but Kickback was portrayed to be pretty flaky since he never stayed loyal to any boss for too long. This episode answered a question most of us didn't really consider: What happened to the rest of the Alchemor? So we know it's being run by the new trio. Looks of recolors, cyclone Minicons, some Chompazoids, and since you didn't mention it I guess you didn't see the orange Airachnid walking in one of the halls.

Scorponok is back, and is different in every universe. I never cared for the Beast Wars version, G1 was just a final boss, which left the movie as my favorite until this one showed up. I can't say much because of spoilers but he's my favorite because he's one of the most ruthless cons in the show.

Lastly we got the new female who seems to be the leader already looks like a big threat. She's firing energy from here hands, not some sort of built in weapon. Makes you wonder how many others are like her on Cybertron with those sorts of powers.

So how will Steeljaw handle this new group? Time will tell. Next episode... well it happened to say the least.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    There was also that Orange Arachnid...

• Like Like x 1
  8. CaptainSlayer

DAMMIT! I always forget something and this is definitely something I wanted to mention. I wanted to drop some smart comment about how they just couldn't let her go and I blew it...

9. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, im more a fan of the rainbow vehicons

10. CaptainSlayer

Suspended

This episode sucked. It was extremely predictable and boring. The story felt almost pointless, it was the second episode in a row where the away team was... well, away, the new Decepticons were uninspiring and bland (though they had cool alt modes) and it was basically just watching Strongarm mope for 21 minutes.

I seriously don't know if I have anything good to say about this one except that the animation during the rescue scene at the end was extremely well done.

Then it closed out with the stupidest non-joke of all time.

Yuck.

Here's to hoping all that lost momentum picks up again next time.

11. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I forgot to warn you that this episode exists. This episode didn’t need to exist. However it did serve as an introduction to Crazybolt and Slicedice who did escape and we will see again.

The next episode is a fun one in my opinion. The best episodes of the season start with Episode 7. Trust me, there are defintely some surprises before this season is over.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shadowwavepool7

Yeah I hated the episode too, but I liked Crazybolt and his design. Hr said his catchphrase way too much. One of Strongarm's worst episodes, but from here on out her episodes improve, but her next one is average at best. Next episode is better for sure, but we'll see what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CaptainSlayer

I sure hope so. This was just so freaking boring. I kept finding myself glancing at my phone and shaking my mouse to see how much time was left in the video. Just plain awful.

The whole 'crazy lunatic' thing was done pretty well with Springload. These two just put a cult spin on it and had that super annoying catchphrase.

I don't mind their character design but they seemed so bland. I'm hoping they aren't as gray in future episodes.

14. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Trust me Captain, something this show has in common in with Prime is that is good episodes are fantastic and is bad episodes really hit rock bottom. This show has few “rock bottom” episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Riko is still Best Girl

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Despite this episode been one of the weakest episodes of this show, I don't dislike this episode all that much. I don't mind the idea behind this episode, but this episode is just boring for the most part. Crazybolt is a bit of a quirky character, and it's nice to see that a decent toy of the character (The Mini-con Deployer Crazybolt figure) actually been made even through the toy isn't the easiest to find at retail.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CaptainSlayer

In my opinion, a boring episode of anything on TV is a failure. The shows sole purpose is to entertain which itself is a cure for boredom. I'm with you that the idea of the episode wasn't bad except it was. The execution at least - it just felt so whiny and bland. I'll probably never rewatch it.

17. CaptainSlayer

Cover Me

This was a very brown episode.

The first half was extremely boring to me and seeing Windblade suddenly forget that she's a jet and can fly as she tumbles off the side of the cliff made me groan a bit. Particularly near the end of the episode when she tells Prime she'd be more us outside where should could use her turbines... like, why didn't you think of that ten minutes ago?

Thankfully, miniature Sub-Zero and Scorpion showed up to add a little more color to the scenery and provide a nice combination of powers that made things interesting. Particularly when they trapped Sideswipe and Drift in their little magma prison.

Razorpaw is a bit dull. His ability to drain energon from Autobots, which I'm assuming all bots can do since he offered the two little ones some scraps, is pretty cool but his design is uninspiring and seems like it was just made to fit the super duper brown color scheme of this episode...

All in all, not a bad ride in the second half but there's been much better.

I am curious if the bots even bagged the Decepticons before they got away since they kind of just left them laying there... oh well~!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shadowwavepool7

At least we can say it was better than last episode. Brown is right, but thankfully Swelter and Glacius spice it up. If it hasn't become obvious yet Minicons are the big gimmick this season. I think every episode has one.

Optimus found a way to use his weakness to his advantage, a nice bit if development that isn't explored since we can't have more than one episode without Bee and his team.

Thankfully next episode is quite enjoyable, but it's just something we've seen before, especially in Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    - Regarding Windblade’s fall, I found it puzzling as well, until I noticed it appears she damages her left arm and wing possibly rendering her unable to transform until repaired.

- First episode of the series without Bumblebee, Strongarm and Grimlock.

- Razorpaw was a great villain and I found the way he drained his victims extra creepy. He literally drains their Energon using his hands and it goes right to his processor.

- As you can see, Optimus has lightened up, to the point of even being sarcastic. Maybe Micronus’ sarcasm rubbed off on Optimus?

- Next Episode is an interesting one for sure, but one of the best episodes of the season is Episode 7.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shadowwavepool7

Didn't Nightstrike do the same thing?

• Like Like x 2