Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Robots in Disguise [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I actually can’t find those 5 unfinished videos anywhere online. Do you have a link by any chance?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Arvegtor

Arvegtor Aerialbot

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Can't find them anymore either. Good thing I downloaded them while it was possible, so they'll not be lost for good like the Animated ones. Sharing them here might be against the rules, so PM me if you actually need the link.

• Like Like x 1
  3. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what were they about? i only remember the minicon ones

• Like Like x 1
  4. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

I'll take a look when I get back. Season 2 is starting mid-way through this month as I've got a trip planned with my gaming community next week so I won't be around for a little bit. When I get back, going to need to catch up on work and decompress then I'll be back! If I can find the shorts, I could probably just do a summarized blog post and stick in it the Season One section of the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Life's suffering slave

Alright I'm late to the party but here goes.

Surprise! It was the Fallen all along, and well there is quite a bit to digest. First off Steeljaw and crew getting a decent amount of focus was a plus, but I was a but let down that Fracture got taken out of the game so early. Looking back they did need an epic way for Optimus to make a return and one shotting Fracture and his Minicons is about as good as any. It would make sense for Fracture to go down first because out of all of Steeljaw's crew he was the odd man out not just because he didn't fit the animal motive and because he wasn't a prisoner.

Steeljaw had excellent moments. One you overlooked that I feel is incredibly important to know is when The Fallen was torturing poor Clampdown. It's proof that even though Steeljaw isn't exactly a good guy he really does care about his comrades, even if he doesn't usually show it. Its a great redeeming factor that makes him stand out from other characters. Then The Fallen launches him back somewhere, and the rest of his gang gets locked up. Season two definitely makes Steeljaw's story go in a great direction, so look forward to that.

Well you wanted a Unicron appearance and there it is, or sort of. I mean his spark is good enough I guess but it could've set up a nice reawakening plot. So they don't quite address this but did Unciron go back inside the Allspark or is he just floating around aimlessly in space?

So last but not least is the the big guy himself Megatronus. Like the movie version there are things I liked and didn't like, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts about how they compare to one another. I'll start by saying I absolutely loved his design, it was just an all around perfect. The faceplate/mask was a great mirror to Optimus. To be frank though I don't think it fit the character very well, but instead would've been much better suited for a modernized Galvatron look. This one actually transformed unlike the movie version and actually had a worthy fight scene, but that's about all the positives. Personally I found the movie version to better, and here's why.

As far as characterization goes they're about equal, but which one is more intimidating, the Galvatron lookalike, or the fire skeleton? This version's voice is just plain awful and generic. Both this show and Prime have had stellar casting across the board yet they managed to drop the ball on one of the franchise's biggest baddies. The movie had Tony Todd with a voice that sounded evil and gave it personality, unlike what's his face with the deadpan delivery. The movie version also has a much higher kill count compared to this one. I think RID only killed one Prime. Now while the movie version went down rather easily let's not forget who he lost to, movie Optimus, a nearly unstoppable force of nature. How did this version die again? From a last minute deus ex machina Power Rangers power up BS? I mean as much flak as ROTF gets at least the villain met his end from a worthy opponent.

Well I can't wait for season 2. I have a bit of a mini rant on the opening two parter, so look forward to that and enjoy your trip :) 

• Like Like x 2
  6. CaptainSlayer

Welp. I dropped my cellphone in a hot tub while on vacation and couldn't get back on the site due to 2-step verification until contacting the admins today. So shout out to them for saving the day and with an amazing response time!

I agree about Fracture. It'd have been nice to see him give Prime a run. >:) 

You're right that I didn't catch that about Steeljaw and Clampdown and I'm happy to hear that we will see more of Steeljaw in Season Two. I also hope some of his old friends make it back out.

The Unicron appearance is something that I'm fine with missing. It was really cool to see them do something new and it was something I didn't expect in the least.

I agree with you on the design and the bit about his personality. To be honest, I wish he'd looked more brutal. Like a lich almost - also, don't hate on the Power Rangers finisher... it's morphin' time!

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Last Hope

The Last Hope Autobot - Team Prime

Captain, we NEEDED that!

Honestly though, it's good to finally have you back Captain. How in the name of Primus did you manage to drop your phone into a Hot Tub? Hopefully it wasn't too expensive to get replaced lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CaptainSlayer

Omg lol. Best reply ever.

Thanks! Should have the blog rolling back this week :) 

I was texting a friend who was riding a bus from Mississippi to Knoxville (our group was picking her up in the early AM from the station) and it slipped in... I uh, was slightly intoxicated and when the phone wasn't working I tried dunking it again to get the touch screen to work. :dunce 

• Like Like x 2
  9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:

:lolol  Thanks Slayer for the lulz... good thing you weren't still working on the G1 Blog... might have had a Hot Tub Time Machine moment.

Now you know... Hot Tubs and Electronics don't usually go together. Like texting and walking.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CaptainSlayer

The G1 blog. Such fun times. I remember everyone showing up like 'wtf? you've never seen G1!?!?!' - Now here we are ALMOST FOUR YEARS LATER and I've started a trend :p 

Ahem, though I'm one of the only ones who sees their blog through till the end. ;) 

WHICH REMINDS ME

We Return Tomorrow with the Shorts and then Season 2, Sunday!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CaptainSlayer

Shorts!
    So I've just wrapped up all of the shorts and I had a lot of fun with these bite sized bits of RiD!

The first few were silly. They gave a few laughs and we learned that Denny is a disgusting eater and should really work on his manners but I guess living alone in the middle of a scrapyard for so long can really take it's toll in the long run.

My favorite of the silly shorts was probably the last one, Carjacked!, where for some reason, a criminal decides that trying to hijack a police car is a good idea.

The side story about the Cyclones is very interesting and introduced me to a new faction of characters I've never heard of. Though I am a bit confused where the big guy whose partnered with Backtrack and Ransack is through all of this - though I have a feeling I'll be seeing him before too long.

All in all, these were a good way to ease back into the blog and get hyped for Season 2 starting tomorrow!

• Like Like x 1
  12. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    It's good to see you back. I find the shorts to be kinda boring and forgettable honestly; I do get some chuckles out of them, however.

Can't wait to see your reaction to Season 2. However, I would like to say that some of the Season 2 episodes are.... a little bit weird however, so be aware of that.

• Like Like x 2
  13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:

A Bazinga Moment!! :lol 

Yeah, it's hard to believe that there's folks who haven't seen G1... ha.. it happens everyday.
    In all seriousness... as I've explained to others... there will (hopefully) be new fans to Transformers and they have to start somewhere, even if it isn't G1...looking at you.. they do get there eventually.

Now... glad you've finished S1 and getting ready for S2. Always a joy to read your posts. Keep'em coming!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. CaptainSlayer

Overloaded, Part 1

This show really has something for mystical Transformers appearing in shiny reflective things. Micronus showing up to zap Optimus Prime's power from Grimlock's side isn't something I believe anyone could have predicted before hand. It was an odd moment that left me a little confused but I guess it did manage to bring Optimus back down to a reasonable level which gives Bumblebee more reason to retain leadership while Prime heals back up.

We then find that the obsession with the Arctic has carried over from Transformers Prime as the first global Decepticon being hunted is located in polar conditions and is totally a rad looking Polar Bear. This entire episode has me frustrated with Optimus Prime as he seems to have lost all touch with reality and how to pace himself while accepting the feedback of others. He feels more like G1 S3 Rodimus Prime or Beast Machines Optimus Primal making just terrible choice after terrible choice and by the end of the episode I'm left with him on a literal Cliffhanger. As annoying as Sideswipe can be, I'm with him and believe he needs to give Optimus a wake up call despite everyone else putting him up on a pedestal.

I'm glad I was convinced to watch the shorts yesterday as I would have been super confused about the Cyclones today if not. Overload also showed up and while his arms look similar to the guy shown in the shorts, I'm not entirely sure they're the same character... considering the Cyclones weren't already his to begin with.

Regardless, Overload is a very cool character who seems to be more powerful than some of the other cons we've seen thus far and apart from Fracture/Megatronus is the only one who doesn't seemed to be based on an animal which makes me believe we might see a bigger variety of body types in Season Two.

All in all, my initial thoughts are that Bumblebee and Optimus Prime need to reevaluate their leadership priorities and Strongarm and Sideswipe need to get their shit together. Hopefully, Overload doesn't get captured right away and gets to cause some havoc in the next few episodes!

See you next time and as always, thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hastur King in Yellow

Hastur King in Yellow Lord of Destruction

I am also just starting RID season 2. and i agree Optimus seems to be be making really foolish choices. which seem very OCC for him.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Welcome to Season 2 of Transformers: Robots in Disguise!

- You have to remember that Optimus Prime has been dead for quite a while (Cybertron is a living planet that has been fully rebuilt) and is trying to find his place in a world that doesn’t necessarily need him anymore. He is so used to being the one in charge and Bumblebee is used to being a follower, it’s hard for these two to accept reality.

- When you mention that he made terrible choices, in reality, the last time he was on Earth he was fighting alongside his old team, with all the pressure on him along with the fate of the entire Autobot cause resting on his shoulders, now that the war is over, you may see Optimus Prime lighten up, since he has no major burden to bear.

- I was hinting back when you watched the finale that Optimus and Bumblebee’s leadership issues would be addressed this season, and I thought the writing team did a fantastic job.

- Just because Optimus isn’t the leader anymore, doesn’t mean he doesn’t still have a few tricks up his sleeve.

- Steeljaw’s still around somewhere, he’s the only one (minus Kickback) who was not arrested in the first season.

- This season introduced a new opening, Optimus Prime is added to the title cards and Optimus Prime, Drift and Windblade are added to the group shot at the end.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

That part always botherd me. I mean Drift was already around for halve a season and Optimus barely existed befor the final. That seemed a bit unfair.

• Like Like x 1
  18. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    To be fair with Optimus, he's being "dead" for a while already since the events of Predacon Rising and everything around him are changing and moving on ever since without his presence. For anyone that are in these kind of situations like this, it certainly takes a while to get used to their new life situations.

As much as I defend Optimus in this situation, Sideswipe also has a point (A fairly good one, at that) regarding Optimus's presence in their team.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  19. CaptainSlayer

I think you meant to put OOC and if so, I agree! Optimus is usually very wise in his decisions. Maybe being in the spirit realm has fried some circuits :p 

That's a very good point but I would argue that the world will always need Optimus Prime. However, if the dynamic between Optimus and Bumblebee persists in the way you've mentioned then I've got to give kudos to the creators for their dedication to character development between the two.

Optimus lightening up is something that would be unique considering his reaction to being asked if he wanted to hear a joke in Prime. ;P

Good. I'm looking forward to it.

I forgot Kickback was still free. I hope we get another look at him. His alt mode is too good to be wasted.

I don't think the intro played during yesterdays episode? I might have been wrong and just been glancing at my phone while it played or something.

Can you blame them for not wanting to change the intro mid-season though? I imagine it would have cost a pretty penny!

I'm for sure Team Sideswipe in this situation. Optimus is slowing them down by trying to prove himself. He should focus on healing and then getting back into the fight.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Life's suffering slave

Okay a little behind the party but I'm here so I'll start with the shorts. Not to much to go on other than it gives Fracture's Minicons some more characterization and it was a good segue into the second season. Overall I think season 2 might be a little better than season 1 but we'll see what you think. Though it doesn't start getting good until the third episode. For now it's a two parter that is more or less a repeat of the series beginning, but with a less interesting Decepticon and the team gets split up. I actually like the idea of split stories, but you'll soon see that one them is sidelined for a good chunk of it.

So let's start off with Micronus being the biggest jerk out of all the 13. I get that Optimus didn't need that power anymore but looking back that still wasn't enough to take out Megatronus. (Ancient power my afterburner!) Sure the Fallen wanted to destroy everything, but Micronus crippled Optmus in one fell swoop. Optimus was just a means to an end, so once he was finished they just forcefully took it away. Couldn't he be just a little more gentle with the extraction process? Long story short the first Primes were a bunch of jerks.

Optimus, Windblade, Sideswipe, and team Drift go after Polar Claw while Bee, Strongarm, Fixit, Grimlock, and the humans tail Overload. They should've swapped the teams up a bit more because Bee's side is basically the original team minus Sideswipe and the other is the second half of the season plus Optimus and Sideswipe. Personally I would've put Grimlock on the away team and have Drift and his Minicons stay with Bumblebee, since we could've had some really interesting dynamics. Oh well.

You can't be too hard on Optimus since this sort of situation has never happened before. The poor guy became Waspinator in the blink of an eye and has become almost completely useless. He's not used to feeling so powerless, so of course he wouldn't know how to handle it. I didn't feel frustrated as much as I felt sad. We know his strength will come back eventually, but nobody likes seeing their favorite hero feel powerless.

Polarclaw raises several questions because Fixit said he's a crime boss like Thunderhoof.....but how? All this guy does is growl and scream. How can anyone call that a criminal mastermind? Are the standards for crime bosses on Cybertron so low that any loser could become one, and Thunderhoof was the only one that actually posed a threat? Or did Thunderhoof have such a tight grip on organized crime that he nearly had a monopoly and Polarclaw was one of the very few competitors he had?

Now my biggest issue with the episode has to deal with the main con himself Overload. Now my issues with him are more personal than subjective, so you can consider this more of a fun read. He's not a bad character, in fact I like the idea of him being an actor that became a spy. He's a non animal Decepticon like you said and is an actual Decepticon to boot. There's an inconsistency about his backstory that I'll mention when part 2 comes out. So what are my personal issues with him exactly? Well he's just not Overload I know. In my fics that I mention from time to time Overload is a major player and arguably my most popular character. You might have even seen a few fellow members sporting a few of his quotes in their sigs. Sufficed to say I have spoiled a few of us on how he's portrayed, so this feels like a name slap to me. (I think I might finally understand how G1 fans feel about some the characters in the movies now) The real Overload could turn water into garlic bread, start a flame war over the size of a camel's humps, and then kidnap someone just because he felt like it. This version.... is just a shallow mockery of a legend's legacy. I'm just going to call him Imposterload every time he appears.

Can't wait for part 2 :) 

• Like Like x 3