Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Robots in Disguise [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Kind of true, but don't forget that Grimlock was a Decepticon!

• Like Like x 1
  2. CaptainSlayer

Hey everybody!

Does anyone know if it would be possible to burn the episodes on my Season One DVD to a USB Drive?

My schedule is pretty heavy (3 AM-2 PM Work, 2:30 PM-4 PM Gym, 5 PM - 7 PM Programming Class and then in bed by 8 or 9. :p ) and I've been having trouble making time to watch an episode. If I could get them on a flash drive, I could watch one during my lunch break at work and then do an entry.

My work PC does have a DVD-drive but for some reason it makes an awful sound when you put a disc in. I haven't used it for an episode since the G1 blog.

I already have the later seasons ready to go on a flash drive but I was hoping I could get Season 1 moved over to fit it in easier.

That said, today is a break day from the gym and I plan on using that time to watch an episode or two so a new entry will be posted today. :) 

3. CaptainSlayer

Even Robots Have Nightmares

I'm a sucker for horror/Halloween themed cartoon episodes and this one is one of my favorites thus far in R.I.D.

Nightstrike reminds me a lot of Nightscream from Beast Machines and I honestly expected him to carry the same name but it's close enough for me. His power is one of the most interesting that we've seen in my opinion and I found each of the Autobots nightmares interesting or amusing.

Sideswipe being claustrophobic made me extremely uncomfortable. I don't believe I suffer from it but I got very uneasy when the walls started closing in around him and zooming out.

Strongarm being a fugitive makes sense but I honestly feel like it's foreshadowing of some sort. Maybe by the end of the show she'll realize that the law isn't always right.

Grimlock being scared of kittens was pure cartoon silliness and adorable.

Fixit and Bumblebee on the other hand were very impactful.

Fixit being tossed away on what I assume was Junkion made me realize just how old he looked in design compared to the other Autobots and his stutter suddenly made a lot more sense - he's malfunctioning. His fear of becoming obsolete actually breaks my heart. In most Transformers media, the old bots are badass war vets (Ratchet, Ironhide, Sentinel Prime, Ultra Magnus) but you never really think about them just rusting away. This one meant a lot to me.

Bumblebee's fear on the other hand was pretty dark. Having his revered leader directly denounce his capabilities while standing in... a world of fire? That's pretty heavy. I also feel like that's another type of foreshadowing but I can't believe that Bumblebee would actually become a failure.

We finally see Chop Shop's hand again who actually stops to help out Team Bee which was very refreshing to know that not all cons are completely heartless, though I'm sure he had his own reasons for helping.

Lastly, I just really liked the overall vibe of this episode. The scene with Strongarm, Grimlock, Sideswipe and Russel watching an old horror movies just made me really happy. I liked that a lot.

I think that about covers today's entry. Thanks for reading and I look forward to writing up the next one soon! :) 

• Like Like x 6
  4. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Great to see you back Captain!

- Having SpongeBob (Tom Kenny) voice Nightstrike was a great choice!

- Chop Shop’s right arm (according to the credits he’s officially called Righty and is also voiced by Will Friedle) returned and escaped again.

- Regarding Fixit... you’ll soon learn there’s more to him then meets the eye.

- Nightstrike does have a robot mode which was featured in concept art but not on the show itself.

- That’s all I can really say for now without giving anything away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. CaptainSlayer

Thank you! No one ever replied to my question yesterday so I'm still going to be on a sparse schedule for the time being. :p 

I had absolutely no clue that Tom Kenny did his voice. I loved him as Starscream in animated.

I also had no idea Will Friedle did his voice.

Stop that.

That seems to be a recurring theme with flying cons. :p 

Well then thank you for saying it! :D 

Oh wow, he looks great. His pistol kind of reminds me of Tracer's from Overwatch.

6. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

I absolutely loved this episode. It was one of my favorites and one of the best in this season and the whole show. It was nice to get something that felt more serious than most of the episodes so far. It reminded me of the good old days of Prime. So the fears were all good, especially Bee, and Fixits's dreams. It makes sense for Bee's fear to be failing Optimus since he's always looked up to him.

The missing limb of Chop Shop returns, and actually redeems himself somewhat. Not all cons are as bad as they seem, but at the end of the day he is still a thief.

Now Nightstrike is one of my absolute favorites from the show. His bat design is perfect from top to bottom, and deserves to show up somewhere else. I think it might be good enough to fit the movie aesthetic. Even though he didn't talk much we got more than enough to understand his personality and motivations. Just because he looks like a monster doesn't mean he is one. It's a similar situation to Underbite and the Chompazoids where the way they survive is harmful to everyone else, but it's the only way for them.

If the next episode is the one I think then you're in for another excellent episode.

I had no idea they had this. I love everything about it except the face and the ears. Looks a little too much like an imp for my tastes. We couldn't have a a toy of this WHY?

• Like Like x 2
  7. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I didn't notice it the first time I watched this episode, but here's something a little spooky that I read on TFWiki. Fixit's monitor detects five Decepticon life signals coming from inside the cave, but by the time the Autobots find Nightstrike's lair, only two are inside: Nightstrike and Righty. Continuity error? Glitchy equipment? Or... did Nightstrike unintentionally help the Autobots out by permanently removing some 'Cons from the picture?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This ep is a perfect example of what TFP was missing- we actually get to know a little about the characters other than just what role they serve on the team. In this case, we learn about their fears & it ranges from cartoon silliness to real, serious fears. It’s a really good ep.

And yeah- I love that scene at the start with everyone watching a horror movie with Russel. Kinda takes me back to when I was younger & doing the same with my friends & fam. Really tapped into a nostalgia vein that I didn’t know was there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptainSlayer

Some Body, Any Body

This episode essentially proves that Sideswipe is the best fighter out of the team which to be honest isn't something I was expecting. Yes, I know that Team Bee was pulling punches so that they wouldn't harm his body but despite that Vertebreak still opted to take his body over even Grimlock. So I guess the most 'well rounded' of the team would be a better description.

Vertebreak himself is a really cool Decepticon and reminded me of Randall from Monsters, Inc. His laugh was my favorite part of the character and it reminded me a lot of Mark Hamill's Joker laugh.

It's been said before and I'm sure it will be said again but these bots suck at staying hidden. Grimlock literally rides the front of a train in his bot form... how is that not all over the news?

The animation in this episode was extremely well done with the combat being fluid and easy to follow. An impressive overall run that did little to distract from the primary plot point. I enjoyed it. :) 

• Like Like x 5
  10. CaptainSlayer

One of Our Mini-Cons is Missing

This is another episode that focuses on a central plot point and keeps the gears grinding smoothly throughout the entire episode.

Take the minicons, one of the most interesting additions to Transformers fiction, add a dash of Drift not being as unbearable, combine that with two of the best Decepticons ever introduced and then top it off with three shiny new additions to Team Bee and you've got an awesome episode!

Quillfire and Springload are super interesting in their design and Springload is still the best of the best that I've seen. His obsession with a land of make believe (which I'm hoping actually turns out to be real before the show is over) and psychotic personality are a perfect match - not to mention his acid skin and fighting style.

I loved when Quillfire was trying to push him out of the tank and kept begging for more time because it was burning his hands off but the best line hands down is "MINIATURE OPPRESSORS!"

Human tech also seems to be pretty damn advanced in this series with that Cybertronian looking tank they've got themselves. Shout out to the military for totally accepting a stuttering mini-cons explanation and backing off.

As I mentioned a little earlier, Drift was as unbearable this time around and I'm glad he was willing to listen to Russel and take it easy on Jetstorm and Slipstream - I really like those two. Having the three of them become permanent additions to the team is a welcome change and helps even the odds against Steeljaw's group of baddies who I imagine we will be seeing again very soon!

• Like Like x 3
  11. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    These last few episodes were great examples of some good episodes of RID. Drift, Jetstorm and Slipstream joining the cast is an interesting change for the better, who knows how that could change up the team dynamic? Maybe he’ll even eventually lighten up?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:

As I recall, since it's a one off, it's an asset "pre-use"; that is, it's for something else later in the series, but they're using it now to fill in for the tech tank with a few minor modifications.

Though their tech level is a bit beyond "ours" in several regards as you'll see later on, but it's no where near any kind of sci-fi level compared to where we are.

Oddly, despite all that they're doing, all this time later and I find I barely recall any of the Decepticons outside of Steeljaw and Clampdown.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

I like to think one of the Cons made a deal with the army and is now helping with wapon development.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CaptainSlayer

Deep Trouble

Octopunch is a testament to the creative freedom the team working on RiD received and in my opinion it's a well warranted gift to give. The characters continue to be interesting, creative and sometimes just plain odd. The thick accent on this aquatic con is certainly memorable as it his ability to take on the entire Autobot force at once.

It was great to have three new Autobots on the team which made it all the more impressive when they got a run for their money against a single Decepticon. Drift was a bit more likeable in this episode and the scene where he got onto Slipstream, Jetstorm and then Sideswipe about fidgeting during meditation was wonderful.

I also view this as a Grimlock centric episode. Despite originally being a con, Grimlock is clearly a character that cares about his team's success and upon learning that a big weight of said team is carried on his shoulders he fights through what is probably internal leaking to keep moving toward the objective. Now I'm not saying this is smart but Grimlock isn't known for being smart, he's known for being funny, loud and strong.

Oh and all the Fixit's was weird. What did he say that laser whip thing was called at the end of the episode that caused Strongarm to run off on patrol? I couldn't hear that part so well but didn't have time to rewind before work.

• Like Like x 4
  15. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I can’t really comment on the Fixits since that would be going into spoiler territory, but I can say that all those Fixit drones were sentient and they all died when the ship exploded.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Shadowwavepool7

Alright I got some catching up to do. First off Vertebreak's episode is definitely a contender for best episode of the season. The character alone might be one of the very best we've had for a while. A three armed snake scientist that turns into a train is a win by concept alone. He's also the most impossible character to make a toy of since Reedman. It was a nice serious episode that made me like Strongarm a little more because of how compassionate she was with Sideswipe and his situation.

Next up two legends collide for a great time. Then add Drift and his Minicons joining the team for another round of fun. Their interactions were the best part, and it had me laughing the whole way through. If Quillfire thinks someone is crazy you know there's a problem. whether or not our lord Springload is right about Doradus he will always be worthy to us.

So Deep Trouble, yeah this one is a bit of a mixed bad for me. I liked the episode in general but compared to the last three it's weaker. Now I'm all up for Grimlock episodes because they're usually really good, but not this one. The injury angle was am interesting direction, but how he got so hurt is where I cry foul. After all the hits he's taken from enemies like Underbite THAT is what got him hurt? I'm not buying it one bit.

Octopunch in the G1 canon was Pretender like Alice in ROTF, but in those days the concept was a bit more ridiculous. He was a crab robot that hid in a diver suit with some tentacles because you know how unassuming that would look out in public. Funny enough this version fits the name far better than the original. Yet against we're blessed with another submarine, but this time a more classic and modern look.

Something it does well is add more information and mystery with the Fixit duplicates. Something doesn't quite add up. Fixit claims to be the guardian of the Alchmor, yet there are many that share his look.

So looking back Sean is right, and I forgot how much death there was in this show, especially in this season. There's the five cons Nightstrike took out,
    the legion of Fixit duplicates, and well I can't really say any more for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  17. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Roko Riko Rii

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    "Deep Trouble" and "Some Body, any Body" is a little bit of a mixed bag for me. There are some cool stuff going on with both episode (I like both Vertebreak and Octopunch), but both of these episode didn't really leave much impression for me. The Slipstream and Jetstorm centric episode is pretty good however. I still find Drift to be kinda mean and too serious all the time, but it's nice to see Drift actually bother to join Bumblebee's team and loosen up a little bit, as he knows that his could learn something from Bee's team.

What makes this sort of fascinating is that as the opposite of Drift been too controlling over his minicons, Bumblebee has barely any control over his teammates at that time, which makes both of them have some sort of leadership problem.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CaptainSlayer

Yikes! It's been 10 days since the last entry. Haven't had a hiatus like that since G1. Sorry all!

Schedule has been pretty busy. Going to try and get my DVD ripped this weekend to start bringing the show to work with me so I can review on my lunch break.

It's safe to expect an episode or more over the weekend as well.

I promise I won't leave for a year like G1 ;p

• Like Like x 2
  19. CaptainSlayer

The Champ

AND WE'RE BACK!

What an episode to return too! First of all, we get to meet some off brand Constructicons who want to smash stuff up, then we have poor Denny finding out that professional wrestling is just a soap opera for men and also WE GET TO SEE FIXIT GET SOME KUNG FU ACTION IN!

Headlock and Groundpounder are some pretty cool characters though I do wish we could have seen more of their alt modes than what we did. One thing I'm curious about is if Groundpounder knew that Headlock was helping him win by cheating?

When Headlock is pulling cables on the human dinobot tricerasaur or whatever the hell it is, Groundpounder doesn't seem to notice. Yet when Grimlock is giving him the what for, he had to have seen the guy burning away at Grim's feet right?

Personally, I like to believe that Groundpounder had no idea Headlock was doing all this dirty stuff and that he was just being taken advantage of by a shady manager... that could just be because I think Groundpounder is dope and loved his gorilla like personality.

Also, did I hear a 'Beast Machines' name drop in this episode?

Seeing Grimlock get to go toe to toe with another opponent in the ring is cool and all but by far my favorite moment is when FIXIT finally gets some action and tussles with Headlock while simultaneously teaching Grimlock some of his sick moves.

This was a fun episode and I enjoyed it. I also love that the 'glitchy ground bridge' initially sends Team Bee to Antarctica... seriously, the dude who made this and Prime has an obsession with Tundras!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Shadowwavepool7

At long last. I really liked this episode for several reasons. The first being that Headlock is the first non animal prisoner we meet. We don't come across many of those so it's a rare treasure to behold. If it wasn't obvious his whole design is a homage to Rocky's trainer Mickey. Groundpounder is a gorilla and I believe that is one of the animals you were hoping to see.

You know I never actually noticed that Groundpounder never really paid attention to Headlock's antics. Maybe Groundpounder was actually innocent and it was Headlock's fault the whole time. Maybe Groundpounder was assumed to be guilty by association alone. The other theory is that since they've worked together for so long Groundpounder already knows Headlock will be helping him and he doesn't have to say anything.

Interesting thing about Groudpounder is that Fixit points out he's a professional fighter from Kaon, the very same arena where Megatron competed and became a legend. Since they say Groubdpounder was the champ it's safe to assume it happened after Megtatron left to become the Decepticon leader. If he ever did fight him obviously Megatron would've beaten him no effort.

So last was the fight which was pretty good as fr as this series goes. Fixit joining in was an added treat. So hopefully we'll see you soon in the next episode.

• Like Like x 2