Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Robots in Disguise [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

We pretty much have the same thoughts on the show and thank you for the kind words. I don't know if I will or won't continue the blogs, but I'm sure a long break will give me time to decide.

I'm broke. Can I write an I.O.U?

It felt pretty rushed.

Why do you want me to spend my entire life reviewing that show!? IT'S SO LONG! :p 

• Like Like x 1
  2. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I assumed he was a war criminal just due to the fact that all of the Alchemor prisoners were specifically referred to as "Decepticons" rather than just criminals, and it was confirmed that at least a few of them did, in fact, fight in the Great War (such as Stockade and Overload), so I assumed that was the case for all of them (although, admittedly, that is pretty hard to believe, considering how a number of them act). If that's not the case, then I guess Steeljaw tried to start his own faction and just decided to reuse the name. Some of the other prisoners were probably part of that faction.

On a semi-related note, how did a lot of those guys end up being labeled as "Decepticons," complete with logos? Because there are a number of them I just can't picture as part of either Megatron's or Steeljaw's factions. For example, can you honestly imagine a kleptomaniac like Filch fighting in a war, or trying to overthrow a government, or even both? I know I can't. What about that coward Clampdown? Bisk I can probably see teaming up with Steeljaw, but he'd get slaughtered if ever he tried fighting in an all-out war. Springload, as we've seen at least once, can be tricked into helping you out, but like Bisk, I don't see him lasting very long in a major conflict. And, of all people, why the heck does Grimlock have that logo? The show makes it very clear that he can't stand the other 'Cons, so there's no way he would actually fight for them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arvegtor

Arvegtor Aerialbot

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    This is my version of events:
    Think about the war and how it ended. The Autobots were victorious, Megatron was first dead, then exiled himself. And as Autobots were ones rebuilding Cybertron and its society, the word "Decepticon" became the one they used for criminals, since it's what they have fought for so long. The police probably occasionally told something like "Freeze, Decepticon, um, I mean, criminal", so the criminals accepted that and also started using the term (kind of like Megatron accepted it before the war), and after several months it was widespread. A tracker in insignia technology was probably a leftover after the war (when you capture an enemy you would want to recapture them if they escape, and it can also lead to finding their allies), so they used it as well. And it also worked as an identification - "Oh, you have an emblem, you must be a criminal, I'll be careful around you". Prison ships like Alchemor were clearly in usage at least from the time of Cybertron's evacuation (you can't leave your prisoners on a dead planet), which explains some pre-war ones like Terrashock (who worked for senator Contrail before he was labeled as a Decepticon), ones from the war itself (Overload, Stockade) and the clearly post-war ones (Steeljaw, Thunderhoof, Clampdown, Filch, Grimlock and most of others), some of them were regular criminals and others, like Grimlock, were called ones because of Cyclonus' schemes to depower potential foes before he could brainwash the whole planet. They probably pushed some laws like "minor crime like property damage = 50k years in stasis or whatever" as the way to remove potential opposition, so by the end of season 3 they had a loyal army and civillians, who would be unable to revolt even if someone breaks their mind control.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hastur King in Yellow

Hastur King in Yellow Lord of Destruction

Ahh, we've finally reached the end. and i have been horribly inactive. sorry. none the less i have to agree with some of the other here, this show really fell apart on the last act, and i do not think it was a proper end to the amazing show that was prime. but none the less, an interesting send off. also, if you do decide to do more blogs. that would be awesome. perhaps watch one of the Japanese shows?

• Like Like x 3
  5. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

My explanation would be that known criminals got labeled Decepticons befor the war and Megatron just used the name for his group. So most of them could have been captured befor and some shortly after the war started. Then they were put into stasys and send of in a ship that canĀ“t be trackt, to avoid atacks and keep security to a minimum becaus they need everyone they can get elswere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

yeah especially since Megatronus Prime claims to be the "first Decepticon" it could have been a term in the Cybertronian lexicon well before the war. Megatronus committed Cybertrons first crime, it's first murder, the first Energon spilled.

it's possible that it could be a cultural disconnect, much like we see here in the united states. the Autobots we're clearly the "bourgeoise" in the caste system in a lot of ways. police officers, senators, pretty much chillin in Cybertron's suburbs. Sure there were probably people who identified with the Autobot "nationality" in the working castes and lowest castes too but as we see in the U.S. today, poverty resulting from a broken system founded on outdated ideals and the greed of the few promotes crime for the sake of survival, and it also promotes crime culture.

Much like we see in hip hop and other parts of culture, being underhanded and ruthless can be interpreted as virtuous for the most marginalized people. The logic is somewhat sound. The leaders who care not for our troubles are conmen, so why shouldn't we be? Why would we abide by this system and respect its adherents when we can do better, although rougher around the edges, by being Decepticons? and of course the Autobots in the burbs who don't see the reality of the poverty and oppression put on the backs of the poor would see them as nothing more than rowdy, uncivilized criminals, and even those who share those struggles might side with the Autobot sense of "law and order"

So Megatron led a very much righteous revolution, "reclaiming" the slur of Decepticon. The problem was his spark was not actually in the right place. He conned large swaths of poor working class Transformers into fighting a revolution so HE could rule. Megatron's side was still the best side to be on if the other option was the pre-Optimus Cybertronian government. Optimus Prime's message of peace and unity, coming together and forgetting old grudges, and conceiving a new system to serve all sparks equally is a better movement than armed revolution, but even Optimus would have taken up arms against the corrupted Senate. From the context of his speech in Darkness Rising about how he "fought alongside one he considered a brother" it seems like this was the case.

Megatron could have shook Optimus Prime's hand when he won the Matrix from Primus and the planet Cybertron would have been at peace, the caste system a thing of the past. Megatron's true motives, his quest for power and the satiation of his ego, drug out the war to the point of Cybertron's destruction.

And its very much possible that the cultural disillusion against the establishment on Cybertron and the more positive legacy of the Decepticon movement's "peoples revolution" could have persisted in post-war Cybertron. Criminals labeled that way, people like Steeljaw embracing it fully.

It's also very much possible that some of the more petty criminals could be "rank and file" from the war still wearing the badge. Not to sound like a Nazi apologist, but a large part of the Nazi army were German farm boys and working class citizens simply caught up in that side of the war due soley to their geographic location.

The Nazi parallels with Megatron and his movement are undeniable. One part of Prime I enjoyed was how the infighting and conflicts of interest, conflicts of philosophy, and treachery/cult like loyalty of the "upper echelon" of the Decepticons (Starscream, Soundwave, Airachnid, Dreadwing) mimics the behavior of Hitlers own inner circle. Megatron's haphazard decision making and blindness to his egos crutches being his fatal weakness is also very much like Hitler. Hitler was bunkered down in Berlin waiting for the allies to come in and still pressuring Albert Speer to completely replace the train tracks throughout Europe to accommodate his vision for a "super train" and was literally putting resources already stretched paper thin by the war into THAT.

So it's very much possible that Cons like Grimlock, Bisk, Ped, were simply caught up on that side of the war due to what part of the planet they were on when it started. Maybe.

• Like Like x 2
  7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

The 2000's Robots In Disguise was a self contained series, so I'd throw down with that one next if you do another blog.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well I loved to read your thought on the Unicron Trilogy, RID'01, The Prime Wars Trilogy, and Recuse Bots.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

RID2001 gets thrown at me a lot and with how short the show is, I see it being one I could easily tackle.

I'm not sure what the Prime Wars Trilogy is.

The Unicron Tilogy and Rescue Bots both interest me but they're so long that I'm too fatigued to do them anytime soon.

On that same note, I'd like to at least check out Cyberverse before making any further decisions. If I were to do a new blog, I'm not sure the format I'd go with - the classic style, a modern style or just a general post summarizing the entire show once I've finished it.

I don't have quite as much free time as I did back in 2014 but I definitely feel like somethings missing from the day-to-day when NOT doing a blog, so we will see what happens.

I do believe I'll watch at least the first episode of each series to see what sticks. I already know that I'd probably like Rescue Bots from that Aliens clip.

I have already confirmed with @SeanTF1967 that I'll be going back to the Animated Blog to review the shorts I missed the first time around. So those will be coming soon enough at least. :) 

Regardless, it's really cool that so many of you are still interested in reading my blogs. I appreciate that, genuinely.

• Like Like x 1