Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Robots in Disguise [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Yep it must have been Combiner Wars. Show was horrible from what I've heard, and the comic tie ins were clearly forced. But the toyline was great. We finally got the updates to the classic Scramble City style combiners we'd been wanting. Funny most of the Stunticons are new guys in RID, in Combiner Wars Wildrider got replaced by Offroad the pickup truck and Blackjack got added for the chestplate. Also funny since Bee was utterly absent in Combiner Wars and we got two Optimus torsos and a ton of the G1 Cast as limbs.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Alrighty Sphere of Influence is an okay episode. We got a Skunkticon that's a little Gollum-like to further the Lord of The Rings references. So it corrupts people and makes them go crazy. Drift using his other senses to beat Zorillor we've seen in a bunch of other shows but it's always good when he gets his own moments like these. Springload is what saved the episode from being a complete waste. It ends with the map showing up, and it really makes you wonder if Springload actually was worthy after all. I would've loved to see a prequel episode on how he learned about Doradus and why he said the spirits considered him worthy. Untapped potential at its finest.

On the other side of the coin the Stunticons finally return and we get to meet Dragbreak and Wildbreak. The reason they aren't named Wildrider and Dragstrip is because I'm pretty sure they lost the rights to the names, so this is suitable substitute. I really enjoy both of these characters. The classic smart and the dumb timid guy is a dynamic that we don't see anymore in actions show, mainly due to them dying out and being replaced with garbage. Anyway I love both these characters and their friendship is very real, which is something you don't see often among Decepticons. What do you know they can combine. This is called crash combining, and like you guessed they do it save money, but there is also an in-story reason for it as well. We rarely see combiners made of only two people, and I would love to see it expanded in future iterations. Blurr leaves as soon as he came with his overall impact on the plot being a big fat zero.

Only one Stunticon left to meet, and he's certainly unique.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Actually, Dragstrip kept his name. Dragbreak is the name of the combined form of Dragstrip and Wildbreak.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shadowwavepool7

Ah that's right. Hard to keep up with all those two people combiners and their names.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hastur King in Yellow

Hastur King in Yellow Lord of Destruction

that sounds like the orange lantern ring ALOT.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

The Great Divide

So this episode was a little more unique than usual though I'm not entirely sure why we had Dragstrip assaulting a police station in the middle of nowhere... that was odd.

But we did get to see the odd minicon again and he's managed to snag two of the three Decepticon Hunters for Soundwave which I'm imagine he's collecting to come out of the spirit realm as a zord from Power Rangers or something.

The two Sideswipes feels like a plot I've seen before and the Starscream's from Animated tend to come to mind but it was still a fun little bit, particularly when Grimlock just bear hugged the mean Sideswipe until he could be trusted long enough to be set down and it was cool to see that Sideswipe does have a side to him that is fearful of being forced off the team since he was originally all about just dipping back to Cybertron.

We finally get a better look at the Autobot Combiner and man does his face look goofy. I'm not sure how I feel about all five parts being sentient during the fusion but it was cool seeing him learn to walk on his own two legs... kind of.

I can't help but feel like Drift is still continuously screwed, he isn't even part of the combiner... just their sword. So what happens if they fuse with his minicons around?

Lastly, I think Motormaster is a vampire because that dude straight refuses to step out of the shadows.

Oh and a side note, the blog will be picking up steam this week before cooling off for the weekend due to E3. But I'll be surprised if we don't get a minimum of an episode a day this coming week - so be here and ready to discuss! I know I am!

• Like Like x 2
  7. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    The Great Divide was one of my favourite episodes this season, though there are some better ones that you’ll soon view and hopefully enjoy just as much as I did.

- So Blurr is gone, but we did have another Autobot in this episode, Sunstreaker (he was never called Sunstreaker and he isn’t yellow but Bumblebee called them the sunshine twins so I’m counting it). I always refer to him as Sunstreaker and I probably shouldn’t, but who’s there to stop me?

- It was nice to see another side of Sideswipe, in a physical manifestation nonetheless.

- That Mini-Con (his name is Trickout, they are never referred to by their names in the show) all the way back from Defrosted finally made a re-appearance to take Sideswipe’s Decepticon Hunter. Two down, one to go.

- The Autobot Combiner is named Ultra Bee and we’ll be seeing more of him in the future.

- That’s all for now, I am looking forward to the future reactions.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Who knows? Maybe to show more of the character?

It won't be long until you find out the true purpose of the stolen Decepticon hunter weapons.

I felt Animated did a better job, since there was more characters, allowing us to see more different types of Starscream, and the plot, which I've seen been replicated in other shows, was fine.

It's nice to see the Bee team getting use to being combined, rather than getting the hang of it immediately; shows there is a learning experience to it. But man, Bumblebee's face is small.

Kind of ironic that the character who's choice of weapon is a pair of sword, and can transform into a sword. Also, I think the minicons are tucked away, inside the sword.

Motormaster will be out of the sunlight soon...

I look forward to E3, as well as the Bumblebee trailer coming out tomorrow!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

Has anyone here heard of a book series called Animorphs? For those who haven't, the plot follows a group of teenagers who are given the power to change into animals so they can fight an alien race that's trying to invade Earth. This episode reminds me of the 32nd book, The Separation, in which Rachel, one of the main characters, ends up in the exact same situation as Sideswipe, being split into two separate people with polar opposite personalities, one being super nice and overly sensitive, and the other being a very short tempered bully. However, the way this happens and the way it's resolved are very different there (and make more sense, in my opinion).

I wonder if The Great Divide was inspired by that book? It could just be a coincidence, but the idea is similar enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the writer read The Separation and decided to make something based on it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. CaptainSlayer

To be honest, I didn't even think about Blurr during the entire episode. I wish I could have been a bigger fan of him.

I'd also forgotten about Sunstreaker. He's one of the G1 bots I always had trouble remembering the name of along with Trailbreaker. I remember someone saying him and Sideswipe were brothers so that makes way more sense now but during the episode that reference went way over my head. I'd just assuming he said 'sunshine twins' ironically since they were being such downers.

Of course Bee gets the name. :p 

I agree with Animated doing a better job. But I also adored Animated Starscream and Tom Kenny.

E3 is so soon!

I just finished watching the Bumblebee trailer here at work and I'll be honest, it's got me tearing up a little bit. It feels so good to see a Transformers film that feels smaller in scale. There's no stupid dragons, wizards, nazis, annoying butler bots or anything of the sort. It's just Bumblebee, John Cena and a girl in a Motorhead shirt and for that I'm so freaking grateful. Bumblebee's size even seems to be much more accurate to what he should be and he's the VW Beetle! The Decepticon certainly looks like G1 Starscream as well and I couldn't be more excited man.

The Bernie Mac monologue hit me and I've suddenly realized that it's been 11 years since the first live action Transformers movie. This is the first time I've been excited for one in a long time.

For reference, Dark of the Moon is one of my all time favorite movies and I absolutely adore the 2007 film as well. I hated Revenge of the Fallen until Age of Extinction and The Last Knight came out and I realized just how good I had it. I'm a fan of Shia LaBeouf (grew up watching Even Stevens, Tru Confessions, Holes, etc) and I loved his humor in the movies. But just based off this trailer alone, this film seems like it might take itself a bit more seriously and lose all the over-sexualization.... I'm so hopeful man.

This is the first one to not be directed by Michael Bay as well, even though he is producing, but I'm hopeful that it succeeds and we get a successful reboot that makes sense and cares about continuity so I can change my title from the Bayformer Fan to the Live Action Fan :p 

Sorry, I'm ranting. It just feels really damn good to be this happy about a trailer. I really, really hope it doesn't burn me.

I love Animorphs. The choose your own adventure book with the metallic/holographic cover was one of my all time favorite books as a kid but I don't think I ever read the issue you're referring too. To be honest, this makes me want to order it online and give it a read.

I was so jealous of my cousin when I was four or five because he had a bookshelf of nothing but Animorph books and I couldn't read that well so all I could do was flip through them really fast and watch the transformation at the bottom of the page.

The TV show was also awesome though I haven't seen it since the late 90's/early 00's so I'm unsure if it holds up.

But to your point, it wouldn't surprise me. We're getting to the point where a lot of 80's/90's kids are pop culture creators and I know if I was penning something for a show, comic or novel I'd be pulling inspiration from my childhood.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Shadowwavepool7

Alright we've seen the split into different personalities done a million times over, but this one at least isn't as bad as some of the other ones I've seen. I actually would've been more curious to see that done to Grimlock, Strongarm, or Drift, but oh well. It actually is nice to see a kinder side of Sideswipe. If he acted a little less dickish I think most of our issues with him would've vanished. Looking back now I can actually appreciate this episode more because that subplot about Sideswipe's insecurity will be brought up again in a later episode.

More Dragstrip is always a plus, but it's a shame we didn't get to see him with his best pal helping him out. One day Motormaster will use some sunscreen, but today is not that day.

I agree that Ultra Bee isn't quite my favorite combiner but I've seen worse. The scrapped Arcee combiner from ROTF is a thing of nightmares. Personally I like the idea of everyone being sentient since it fits the narrative in the G1 backstories. Devastator for example could'n't even move without all of his components agreeing on it.

Soundwave is getting closer, but who knows how long it will be before he finally frees himself.

Since you told us your thoughts on the Bee trailer I might as well share mine. To say the least I'm rather conflicted about it. Without a doubt the movie contains massive potential, and it will no doubt be better than TLK. On the other hand, we still have quite a few human characters and only four robots this time. I know you aren't the biggest AOE fan, but the movie did a lot more good than many are willing to admit; robot screentime and character development being at the top of the list.

I mean I get it's the 80's and they want to appeal to the G1 crowd but they're walking on a dangerous threshold on where it could lean too much that way. We have to remember this is the movies, not G1.

From a design aesthetic Bee does look cute but there's something about the face being so simple compared to the other movies that it actually give me a headache. I guess I've been so well trained to handle the insane amount of detail from the other movies that this more simplistic render is rather jarring for me to look at.

I really hope that isn't Starscream either. I will admit I'm greatly impressed they made the seeker model translate to the big screen as well as they have. I for one have never been a fan of that look since so many characters share that model. I agree with the Aligned bible in regards to Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp all looking different, and if any of them do get that look I feel it would best fit Skywarp, but that's just me. It doesn't really make sense for him to look so different from a narrative standpoint either. I know they change over time and all but the difference here is that you can tell that's Bumblebee, and the evolution to the present day at least makes sense. I just hope it's Ramjet like several of us are theorizing. The color scheme does seem to work. Plus since there are 4 robots (Bee and it looks like 3 cons) Having only one new character seems like a waste. We already have Barricade back for crying out loud I'd say that's more than enough. Give some new characters a chance and either kill them off or let them live for a chance to show up in TF7.

Anyway I haven't actually seen the next episode so I'll get on that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CaptainSlayer

Get A Clue

So we have another enjoyable Strongarm episode with a cool theme. I found myself trying to 'solve the mystery' along side Insurance Agent Armstrong and I'll admit that I never came close. Seeing the claw marks, I just assumed Steeljaw was back.

I'm probably wrong in assuming this but the Crow Decepticons seemed like a homage to G1 seekers with their color schemes. I really enjoyed their designs but the guys were dumber than a bunch of bricks, how did they not hear Strongarm literally yell at Bumblebee to corral them to the left?

Also, once again, Drift is disrespected but in a much more subtle way this time...

You may not have caught it but if you give the episode a rewatch, you'll see that when Bumblebee and Drift are giving Strongarm words of encouragement she says, "Thank you sir. Drift.", as if he isn't deserving of some title as well. That's just rude!

When she walked into the final area with her crossbow out, I totally expected the little minicon to show up and snag it to get the last Decepticon hunter because it seemed like they spent an odd amount of time showing her with it but that could be due to the fact that I'm just constantly expecting it to happen.

Regardless, I enjoyed the episode and the 'noir' bits were fun, particularly the colorless dramatic shots of Strongarm's face and it was cool to be reminded that she has a career waiting for her back home and to realize that despite being gone for a long, long time - she still wants to finish the academy.

Oh and the colors from the fireworks were also impressive. I wish this show would use more of that. It's always really beautiful when they do.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ismaeel Kamal

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    This episode I enjoyed the most, since it showed Strongarm's strength as a detective, and it made me like her as a character.

Plot convenience? Also, the Crow reminds me of Ramjet, colour wise.

Drift always gets push around; it's amazing he can tolerate it.

That's one of interpreting it. Another might be that she sees Bumblebee as her boss, hence the formality difference between the two.

You'll see if that happens or not in future episodes...

It's nice to see a detective story every now and then, and especially when it's done well.

This is the main benefit this show has over Prime; more vibrant colours, in general.

Also, regarding your last comment, I felt that it wasn't a rant, but rather a very optimistic and honest opinion on that film, and I understand and agree with your opinion, especially as someone who has also seen all of the films in their entirety (except The Last Knight; I hated Age of Extinction so much, because it was way below expectations, and as a result, only watched TLK in either clips, a CinemaSins video or only the scenes where there is fighting or Megatron). If this film can finally get decent reviews, it will be the first Transformers film I've seen in four years. Oh, and my favourite films is in this order: 2007, (1986 if it counts), DOTM, AOE, TLK, ROTF (The last three are equal in my opinion).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Riko is still Best Girl

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    While "The Great Divide" isn't the best episode that this show has to offer, this episode is quite a step up from the previous 3-4 episodes. The "split into different personality" thing isn't all that new for this franchise, but it isn't done all that bad in this episode. Sideswipe is definitely the best character in this episode with both his arrogant and insecure personality successfully work together to stop Dragstrip despite their difference, and I won't mind Sideswipe's arrogant personality stays a bit longer and becomes Sunstreaker (At least for 1-2 more episodes). This is a bit of nitpicking, but I would like to see Grimlock as the torso while Bumblebee and drift been the legs of the "Ultra Bee" combiner instead. For some reason, Bumblebee been the torso of the "Ultra-Bee" feels off especially with how weird the face of the combined mode looks.

I didn't really care about "Get a Clue". while the "Investigation" angle is something that is quite new, I do find Strongarm to be quite irritating in this episode because of how she takes her task of finding out the Decepticons way too seriously to the point of basically rudely screams at her teammates.

Speaking about the Bumblebee movie trailer, I think that it looks decent ad it's kinda nice to see something that is different from the usual Bayverse formula after 4-5 headache inducing Bayverse movies that only gets worse with each movie. However, I'm still a bit on the skeptical regarding the actual final film; No matter how good a movie trailer is, there's only so much that a good trailer could do to convince people to go see it if the actual film is only mediocre at best.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CaptainSlayer

Out of the Shadows

Finally, a Drift episode. Well, a Drift/Slipstream/Jetstorm episode but those three pretty much go hand in hand... well, in Drift's hands...

I'm not sure I heard the name of the Decepticon in this one right but I like the backstory between him and Drift/Dead Lock. It's cool that Drift previously being a Decepticon is true here and the idea of him being a pupil to some slave driver is pretty awesome. The scene where they met in the hall was extremely Star Wars-esque.

I'm happy to see Slipstream and Jetstorm finally being trusted by Drift now.

Unfortunately the con is once again a reused model, this time Saberhorn's, but at least his personality seemed to make up for it. He seems like the first genuinely evil Decepticon that we've seen in the show except maybe Megatronus.

Apart from the main story, Sideswipe and Grimlock fused together looked like one of Sid's freakshow toys from the first Toy Story and was... not something I expected to see.

Overall, an enjoyable episode, but I'm really ready to dive into a deeper story line here and find out what's happening with Soundwave and the odd stuff going on in Cybertron. I am officially burned out on the 'problem of the day' episodes.

Also, to those who replied before this post, I haven't ignored you. I meant to read and reply during work today but ended up being swamped. I will reply to those posts and the ones following this one tomorrow!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Fun Facts: Aligned Drift's G1 counterpart was also a Decepticon before becoming a Autobot in the IDW continuity. Shadow Raker was voiced by Ian James Corlett, who previous Transformers work was voiced a center cheetah bot.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ismaeel Kamal

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Your patience has been rewarded; Drift finally gets an episode based around him (although I think they did a better job with Arcee at Prime).

It's good they actually explained the background of Drift as a Decepticon, and how they proved that not everyone is destined to be evil because they're on that said (in a more meaningful way than say, Grimlock).

Yeah, they finally get the trust they deserve.

What about Steeljaw?

You've reminded me of that scene from Toy Story... thanks.

There's lots more 'problem of the day' to come, so...
    But this episode and the last episode actually made me appreciate the characters it focuses on.

Cool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

There seems to be a couple of takes on the way combiners minds work.

There's the classic G1 Gesealt, where the mind is a combination of the components, but still has it's own personality formed of theirs. They still tend to get treated as their own characters. Having their own bios, and Optimus saying of Alpha Trion's sacrifice "One Autobot gave his life so that six may live" where the Arielbots are concerned.

Then you've got cases where the leader is still pretty much fully in control, and everyone else just kinda acts as a power up.

Finally we've got each component still being concious and in control of their own body, which makes things a lot trickier.
    You aren't alone in this. Bee definitly has a more rounded and softer look in this. He comes across less of a badass, and more someone who's going to have to learn how to be a hero to me.

Still I really have never liked the design of live action Bee's mouth. It just looks weird to me.
    Fun fact. Back during the Beast Era Hasbro made Animorphs figures under the Transformers/Beast Wars label. Good grief they looked freaky. The big thing was three of the kids who combined into a T-Rex.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CaptainSlayer

The colors are wonderful but the art style of this series is very hit or miss with me. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. The early episodes almost looked like paintings and I loved it but some recent episodes have looked... cheaper somehow. I'm not sure considering I'm fairly certain they upgraded to HD between then and now.

I saw every film in theater and I own them all physically. I even bought The Last Knight on 4K UHD because I like my Transformers shelf and at least the robots looked pretty. :p 

That said, I wasn't as disappointed with The Last Knight as I was with Age of Extinction because with AoE, I was coming off of DOTM which is, as I said, one of my favorite films. So I was super pumped and then my favorite Autobot of all time is killed by a dude with a sniper on his face in the first five minutes and the rest of the movie is just so damn boring. I hated it and I was so upset.

When The Last Knight was announced, I just laughed. I went to the theater with the intention of enjoying how absolutely stupid it was and with that I had a good time. My poor wife was super excited for Hot Rod and then she heard him speak and just died a little inside. It was so ridiculous and clear that Bay did not give a single fuck about even attempting to make a good Transformers movie.

So I was actually able to enjoy TLK in a "I can't believe this is actually real" way.

I think Grimlock as the torso would be awesome. But I'm also biased because he's probably my favorite character in this series.

I don't think she was being rude so much as impersonating her old instructor, but I can see how it goes both way.

I love 1 and 3, enjoyed 2 (hated it initially, then 4 and 5 happened) and despised 4 and 5. Bee just seems so much more down to earth and has some emotion attached to it. I'm very happy with the trailer and hope it represents the final product.

I like that they're showcasing Decepticons becoming Autobots, even though Drift and Grimlock are the only two so far. I'm hopeful we will see the opposite side of that scenario again like the bounty hunter from earlier whose name I can't remember.

Also, ew. I'm so tired of problem of the day episodes. I made a huge mistake saying I enjoyed them when the show started... I think it was better then because all the models were fresh, new and exciting and now it's like "Oh hey! Here's whatshisface but NOW HE'S A DIFFERENT COLOR OF BLUE AND CAN DO A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THING!" :|

I'd hoped with the cheaper animation style we'd get more interesting characters than Prime. There's more characters but their designs are just getting dull... at least they aren't ALL the same like the drones in Prime though so, uh, I guess I'm cool with it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shadowwavepool7

Somehow I missed this episode when it first aired but after watching it I'm glad I did. It's one of the stronger Strongarm episodes for sure, and I'll give her behavior a pass this time because she didn't really do anything too out of line. Her enthusiasm about the case really cute, and Bumblebee letting her take charge was really nice too. The Crow Decepticons are obvious reuses of Filch, but with an actual robot mode this time. Strange enough Minitron called them Corvicons and now they changed the name here.

Bumblebee inadvertently confessed one of his biggest flaws this episode. He told Stongarm that the team is supposed to capture the cons and not understand them. It was that level of ignorance that started the war in the first place. I'm not agreeing with Megatron's methods, but perhaps he had a point worth listening to. It's also quite hypocritical when you think about it. Understanding how certain cons and species work is how they were able to catch characters like Underbite and Terrashock, but apparently crows aren't worth the effort.

There were some really well animated parts in this episode like when Boostwing was flying around the building in the freeway chase and Strongarm's falling punch with the moon behind her. Sideswipe was actually a likable character at the end too with his apology. Miracles happen after all. I'd say this is a great episode and I love how far Strongarm has come as a character. One last thing to note is they really hit us over the head with all that
    Dropforge forshadowing.
    I mean geez we get it.

As for the other episodes I absolutely LOVE this episode. It took all three seasons but we finally got an episode that revolved around Drift. Yes his Minicons played a big part in it too, but they were a necessary catalyst. ShadowRaker while being a reused model of Saberhorn is one of my favorite characters in the show. It's shame he's only a one-off villain because he could've been a great recurring character for the gang to face off against besides Steeljaw. He is voiced by none other than Ian James Corlett, who hasn't voiced a character since Cheetor. The designs of his sword were pretty wicked, and I'm glad they actually gave him a spider head on his bug form. Strangely enough they still call him a beetle.

Drift's backstory of being a Decepticon named Deadlock comes right out of the comics, but it's a more toned down version since he was thief here instead of legit con. In addition to a great backstory we get treated to some of the best fights in the show. They brought back the Shanix from Crustaceon's episode, so it wasn't completely pointless.

So... what exactly happened to his ship? We know it's still on Earth but they don't bring it up again.

I know you aren't a fan of the problem of the week episodes, but fear not there's only three of them left. Two of them are some of the best episodes in the show in my opinion. After that it's nothing but plot, and boy does it get intense.

• Like Like x 3