Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Robots in Disguise [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

King of the Hill (Parts I & II)

So, we're back with a new enemy, a blue mini-con, a cocky team of Autobots and a football game. Cool!

This episode made me realize that season 2.5 didn't really have any story lines involving Russel and Denny though they did pop up a few times. I've mentioned before earlier in the blog that unlike a lot of Transformers fan, I actually enjoy the human characters and their side stories so I'm glad to see them being brought back to the front line alongside the Team Bee story. Russel did sound a little bit different, I'm not sure if he has a new voice actor or if the current one was actually a kid whose grown up a bit since we last same him.

Although it was a little bit odd that we never saw Slipstream and Jetstorm after they helped Russel practice his kicking. I wonder why they didn't get in on all the action? I also love the recurring gag through out these two of Grimlock constantly playing catch-up with the other Autobots.

So, it turns out our new Decepticon is a missile firing jeep (Decepticon Hound?) named Heatseeker which is pretty fitting and he answers to, who I believe is, Motormaster. The short glimpse we get of the 'Chief' at the end of the second episode combined with the fact that Heatseeker is called a stunticon and the fact that the season is called 'Combiner Wars' leaves me to believe that not only is Motormaster going to be our (or one of our) primary villains for the season - fingers crossed we get Menasor. One of my favorite parts of the Transformers Devastation video game is fighting him and Devastator at the same time.

We also find out that our little blue friend is working for Soundwave, which is odd since the guy only spoke I think once in all of Prime? But c'mon, there's no mistaking that voice. I am curious as to why he decided to help Bumblebee in the first place unless his entire mission was to acquire the Decepticon Hunter - if so, why didn't Soundwave come back through himself and get it? I know he's back in the shadow realm or whatever it's called but clearly he can send this minicon back and forth.

The hermit was a wonderful human character but I still prefer the subway worker from (I believe) season one, that guy could easily be on my top five list at the end of the blog. :p 

The special effects for the first explosion when Sideswipe and Strongarm cause the missiles to collide was beautiful and keeps me hopeful for the quality of season 3 moving forward. Which, speaking of, they didn't seem to change the intro sequence up much this season either but I did spot two or three new characters. They could have been Heatseeker and the minicon but I'm not positive as I just caught the quick glimpse and wasn't paying much attention.

Speaking of Sideswipe and Strongarm, I actually think I'm beginning to like these two together. When they were sent out on this mission they were still bickering back and forth and teasing each other but it felt, I don't know, different some how. Like, they weren't genuinely upset or distraught with each other but instead playfully teased one another and also looked out for each other. Their bickering was almost funny and played well off of the fact that the team had been dying for something to do since the Starscream debacle.

Also, yo, how old was that Stretch kid really? He had to be like 17 and playing college basketball on the side right?

Overall, I'm very impressed with our first look at Season 3 and am happy to dive in for more!

Be sure to post your thoughts so we can discuss them and don't be afraid to discuss spoilers with other forum members so long as you use the spoiler tag!

Just know that I usually won't quote reply to you in that scenario since it reveals the text in the editor! ;) 

Thanks for reading everyone, I hope you've all had a great week and continue to do so!

Oh and P.S. - to the user that called Strongarm the "Peggy Hill" of Transformers, this episode title is mad ironic since we were just talking about that, lol!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Not the real football though :p 

Humans from the aligned series and G1 are examples of humans done correctly, since they actually can help the Transformers, while not being emphasised too much as a critical plot point to them. Also, Russel sounding different could be due to age (fun fact, Stuart Allan, voice actor of Russel, also voices Robin from some of the DC Animated Films).

You know, I'm surprised Grimlock hasn't returned to the disguise he had in Season 2, although I guess it was to keep this gag running.

You are correct to assume Motormaster and Menasor will appear in the show, although it's not actually called 'Combiner Wars,' but rather 'Combiner Force' (I guess to make it sound more friendly?) and more combiners will appear, even Autobots.

Soundwave's four words on Prime will always be memorable to me; you'll learn more of him soon, as well as his ultimate plan.

The intro might change a bit more as the season progresses, I think.

The writers will provide plenty more bickering between Strongarm and Sideswipe, but I can't promise they'll all be playful teases.

Overall, these episodes reminded me a lot of season 1, but it will pick up, for sure.

Episode 3 feels more or less the same, but episode 4...a special cameo appearance...but I'll leave it at that.

Also, are you going to watch two episodes from now on, or was this only done because it was a two part story? And have you seen any of the shorts produced for this show?

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptainSlayer

Just the better football! (I tease, I love both)

I've never seen any of the DC animated films, I don't think.

Same. But that disguise didn't really make him much faster, he still had to walk it kind of like the Flintstones.

Hmm... I wonder where I got Wars from?

I'm still waiting on the Soundwave and Blaster mix tape to come out.

It's only had small changes over the course of the series like adding Optimus in and putting a snippet here or there. I do think it's pretty lame that they still haven't added Drift into the full intro.

Good. The genuine disdain between the two got old - fast.

I didn't feel like they were too slow to begin with, I enjoyed them!

Nice!

Who knows! With multi-part episodes, I try my best to view them all in one sitting. Sometimes I'll get to a single episode a week while other times, I'll do 3-4 a day. It just depends on what I have going on. Back on the G1 blog I went from doing an episode a day to an episode a week to 2 every other day and it was chaotic. I got burned out for a while but G1 was no easy task :p 

That said, the G1 blog did have a much different style where I 'live blogged' what I thought. It was a bit harder to read but some people preferred the 'live' reactions. Wish I would've had my setup now back then as I have dual-monitors but back in the day I'd have to eye the TV with my laptop in my lap and just spam away.

So... many... spelling errors...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ismaeel Kamal

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Machinima released a Transformers show called Transformers: Combiner Wars, so maybe that’s why.

Man, I could never do a live blog; and I understand; it’s like Arcee said in Prime, quality, not quantity.

Also, have you read the Robots in Disguise comic series based on this show? It’s only 6 issues long, and it’s pretty decent.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

So I completely forgot this was a two parter. We're in the final stretch, and I really don't want this ride to be over.

Combiner Force, not to be mistaken for Combiner Wars, is what the latter could've been had it not been a cheap cash grab by people that saw one or two episodes of G1 and felt like they were experts on the entire franchise. I swear my rant is over but Combiner Wars is just really bad, and there are people that were crazy enough to like it. I just don't get people sometimes.

Anywyt back to the actual show. Stunticons are making their way into the show, and with Heatseeker being the first you can tell this won't be the classsic roster you remembered since Breakdown was in Prime and had nothing to do with them. Motormaster is one of my favorite Decepticons period, but I never liked how he was portrayed in G1. I liked the whole obsession with Optimus angle, but he was still too much of a joke. I like that he's a more serious threat here, and having Travis Willingham voice him helps. I would've cast Kieth David but this is good enough. Now there is one flaw with him, but I wont talk about that until it shows up.

Looks like the Autobots have their work cut out for them this season. Heatseeker is definitely above the average grunt so the rest of the team is probably just as deadly.

Soundwave is back, and he's speaking. Guess he finally realized that communication is the key to a successful relationship. He's got some Minicons working for him and they're tasked with stealing the team's Decepticon hunters for an unknown plan. As to why they go into the Shadowzone and he just doesn't go out the portals there actually will be an explanation for it later on, and it's actually a good reason too. Those of us that have seen the show could say... it's just a happy bonus.

Looking forward to the next episode.

• Like Like x 2
  6. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Roko Riko Rii

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Welcome to season 3, AKA Combiner Force (not to be confused with Combiner Wars, another web animated show from Machinima which is mediocre at best). Unlike the Machinima Combiner Wars show however that barely has anything to do with the Combiners, this season has quite a few Combiner to Combiner action.

With the Stunticons started to show up in this season, It definetly won't be too long until Menasor shows up. With new powerful members like Heatseeker, this group of Stunticons isn't quite the same as in the G1 cartoon.

Soundwave also makes a brief off-screen appearance, with a successful attempt to use Mini-con to steal Bumblebee's Decepticon hunter. Even through it's a bit weird that why didn't Soundwave just do the job himself, the fact that he can even successfully get Bumblebee's weapon in the first place isn't all that bad. he's definitely up to something.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. CaptainSlayer

Crap... the weekend is over and I meant to do an episode. I should really work on that. On the plus side, it's my 26th birthday. Quick! Everyone wish me Happy Birthday so I feel special! ;) 

That's probably where I got it from to be honest. I've seen a lot of references to the show but to be blunt, I've heard horrible things about Machinima recently. Haven't watched them since Arby and Chief so I don't know.

The live blog style was probably my favorite but it was by far the hardest. I haven't. Should I? Is it IDW?

Shit, you're telling me. After this blog I'm out of juice. Like, I want to do Rescue Bots due to requests but fuck if it isn't the longest most challenging shit I've seen in my life. Like, I'm happy to be 'caught up' to a degree, but what I've seen of the new show is pretty meh and I really like diving into a show that absolutely everyone but me knows everything about. Sure, the audience has gotten smaller with each blog but that just means the most passionate fans have made themselves made with each advancement. I think after this one, it's actually over and I'm left just replying to general boring ass threads.

Haven't even watched it but I don't doubt you Shadow.

I loved Motormaster and friends in G1 but even more so when I was chasing him down in Devestation! Very excited to see where he goes in RID!

Well good, I was beginning to think he was a fucking moron which doesn't fit in with the Soundwave I know and love. I remember throughout the -ENTIRETY- of Prime, I kept just waiting for him to speak and when he did, it was cool but I was like damn, that's it? When does he melt?

Seems the general conscious in this blog is "Fuck Combiner Wars". It also seems like "Menasor" is the worst kept secret in a 'Bayformer Watches' blog ever, but I can't blame you guys at all - it's painfully obvious!

Fair enough. I'm looking forward to this explanation because right now it just seems like he's become a lazy bastard.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Happy birthday!

And to be fair Stunticons without Menasor would've been a great dishonor, whereas Combiner Wars had the opposite because the actual teams were never shown. Okay that's not completely true the Constructicons did show up, but they were little more than drones. Pretty crazy to think ROTF handled them better. (Note I love ROTF. That Longhaul is perfection) As for Menasor here he looks great.

I've had some issues with Machinima for years but that's a rant for another time.

As for Soundwave I know he seems lazy but think of it this way. If he had the power to come out he would. Those Minicons must be important if he's getting help from them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ismaeel Kamal

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Happy Birthday @CaptainSlayer! Enjoy this cake:
    upload_2018-5-21_6-45-12.jpeg
    Also, regarding your question, yes, the comic series I recommend is IDW, and it’s pretty good for a six issue series (it’s called Robots in Disguise Animated to avoid confusion with IDW’s Robots in Disguise (2011 -2016) which is set in their own continuity).