Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Beg your pardon? Where did I insult you?

Also, you didn't have much of an arguement to begin with. You described the two iterations of Blackarania as "emo and boring" an insulting and inaccurate simplification itself, and then followed up describing things Airachnid can do, but not the actual merits of her character. (Because there isn't much to it) Like seriously, using spoiler tags for Cap's sake, describe just what kind of story significance or personality Airachnid has that isn't related to Arcee.

TFA Blackarachnia was betrayed and mutilated, and was obsessed with curing herself from what she saw as a disease. What about that is childish? Her life was ruined and she was changed into a monster. (Even her own boyfriend wanted her dead) BW Blacharachnia was one of the most influential characters of the show due to her stealing the Golden Disk information. And that's on top of her relationship with Silverbolt and her identity subplot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reask

Reask Predacon

I won't say much about Airachnid beyond this episode but this is still one of my favourite episodes in the series. I was definitely thinking of Blackarachnia when I first saw this but yeah it's just a different character. And despite the negative reception she gets in the fandom, Airachnid does get a few more great episodes just so you know. :D 

Definitely one of the more intense episodes of Prime. Also while there's not a proper image of Tailgate in Prime, here's what he looks like in recent G1 comics just for the fun of it. XD
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

It's hard to choose just one to be honest. I'll need more time to answer this without it changing during the next episode. What I can say is, I don't actively dislike any character so far.

I imagine losing two of your partners would hurt much more than just one. I personally don't have any issue with her backstory though I can see it being a little odd that she didn't mention Tailgate when Cliffjumper passed - then again, in my head, I imagine it's a fresh wound and you want to focus on what's at hand without lessening the importance of Cliffjumper by bringing up Tailgate. I also imagine the first would be the most painful so maybe that's why she focuses on Airachnid?

Sometimes, you don't need anymore then 'I'm bad and I like killing' for a villain but I think she had a bit more than that. She's a trophy hunter and she's a psychopath. Maybe I'll be able to agree with you more further into the show but for now, I've got to say I don't. I enjoyed the brief time I've had with the character this far.

While it's obvious that Airachnid is influenced by Black Arachnia, I don't consider them to be the same character and won't compare them as one being better than the other in that way. Kind of how I don't compare Beast Wars/Machines Black Arachnia to the Animated Black Arachnia. They had different stories being told and I guess this girl is telling her own. I don't think she's a knock off at all. Inspired by BA, sure, but it's not like a bootleg copy or anything. I agree with you on your last bit as well, I like that her only objective was to cut off a human head. It's fun.

Does it go by the same episode title?

To be fair, Black Arachnia and Tarantulus are the only experiences I have with spidercons and the way this episode introduced the character would make anyone coming from BW/BM/Animated think it was Black Arachnia. My opening line was the thought that ran through my head when I noticed it was a spider but as we moved further into the episode I realized she was her own entity. They're similar yes, I don't think that's a mistake, but they're both their own creation kind of like Bayverse and G1 Optimus Prime except they're directly related.

I love Black Arachnia and am very happy with first impressions of Airachnid.

Thanks Sean! Will do!

Forgive me if I'm misreading Split's reply but I don't see an insult there. That being said, everyone please be awesome to one another. I don't want debate becoming insults.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CaptainSlayer

Oops, missed your post when mass quoting Reask. So... so was he a kid or?

• Like Like x 1
  5. darkus Maximus34

darkus Maximus34 One shall DIE,one shall FLY

no
    in the idw comics hes 6 million years old
    he also appeared in the marvel comics

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reask

Reask Predacon

He briefly appeared in G1 when Typticon attacked the Ark in Season 3. I think he had a cowboy voice then. XD

• Like Like x 1
  7. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Hello Jack!!! I mean Slayer...

Not sure if you saw my post before you watched it.

It was one of those eps I wasn't expecting when I first watched it. Fantastic Season 1 episode.

The helplessness Arcee felt when she couldn't help Jack was amazing.

Jack's got some balls running toward Arcee and trying to rip off the webbing with his bare hands.

Prime-Jack and G1-Spike would have been good pals.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

No, he's just short ( a mini-bot) and likes curly straws. :)  I won't say anything more because I am secretly hoping you will eventually do a "Bayformer Fan Reads MTMTE Comics" series, ha ha. (I'd totally donate a couple $ to a Patreon with the goal of getting you access to them on Comixology.)

The TFP version has a totally different history than the comics version, though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptainSlayer

No way. Do we have a clip of this available?

I'm not sure if I caught your post or not but I agree with you on all points.

Also, your bold bit has me cheesin'. Thank you for that.

I'm done saying I'm done blogging. I love comics. You're the second person to recommend it. Who knows what the future holds. :p 

• Like Like x 3
  10. Reask

Reask Predacon

Went looking for it, and while he may have a voice actor, he's really just a background character in G1 who can easily be confused for Pipes. Here's the only screenshot I can get of it from Five Faces of Darkness Part 5, he's the blurry guy at the top of the cast.

He did get a Prime toy though, and yep, this is the only image we can get of Prime Tailgate: Bluejumper.

image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Although in this episode. Tailgate was more of a dark brown colour and didn't have the horns like Cliffjumper had.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    But she will continue to mourne over Cliffjumper. My issue is that she's essentially swapped the circumstances of her two identical tragic backstories. At times you'd almost think Airachnid killed Cliff. And really, that's how it should've been. They doubled up on her backstory but it doesn't actually do anything. It's pointless.

Airachnid should've been someone else's aggressor, like Bumblebee. And have him also lose a partner. But that'd be even more redundant. Basically there's no reason for Airachnid to really exist and for Arcee to have two dead partners. What exactly does it accomplish? It makes neither loss seem particularly painful because her grief is spread between them both.

You do when so much of the show revolves around them. Airachnid is central to Arcee's backstory, which is the only backstory to be properly explored, and she's an utterly bland, and I hate to say it, "cringey" one-dimensional villain.

Though it's worth pointing out, at this point I was still very much on board with the show when it aired. I think at worst I thought it was odd they basically just did the same thing all over again from the season premiere. The cracks aren't so much cracks at this point as hairline fractures that aren't evne that obvious.

The Japanese title is "Mystery Insect Transformation! Forest of the Spider Woman!" Sadly I couldn't find it on Youtube or anything.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. CaptainSlayer

Wow. Sometimes I forget how terrible background animation can look on G1. I don't mean that as an insult or anything, it's cool that they fit so many unique characters into the show but the coloring just... wow. Also, wow. I remember I bought a Transformers: Age of Extinction recolor of Crosshairs called Hotshot and didn't find out until much later (I was blogging G1 at the time) that he was a reference to Tracks, one of my now favorite Transformers :p 

Thank you for the pictures!

Really? Well, any reason to rewatch a G1 episode I'll jump on. Will probably give it a watch this weekend. :) 

Also, is today the day I'm supposed to do two episodes back to back? Just confirming. :D 

What a title. Haha, I'll try to give it a look without going any illegal routes. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  14. CaptainSlayer

Super late reply (I saw your post just as I was logging on to blog an episode and forgot to reply after) but wow, that guy looks awesome. I've never seen him before. I have a hard time remember the names of the Digimon (Agumon, Garuramon?) but I do remember I loved the original cast of monsters. The blue and white one with the horn was my favorite and I used to have an awesome toy of him. My second favorite was the cute one with the ears who digivolved into the angel.

... Man, I really miss Digimon now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I would suggest NOT looking on Youtube for Japanese Airachnid clips, you are going to run into tons of spoilers just from the titles. (Because there aren't many Japanese Airachnid videos, so it just starts pushing other, random Airachnid videos at you.) Like, major major spoilers.

In case you'd just like to know what Japanese Airachnid is like--with no future spoilers for TFP--here it is under the cut.

They made her a yandere character, if you know what that anime character trope means. (Attracted to another character, but expresses it in a psychotic / stalkish way, but the viewer is supposed to find it . . . cute?? To be fair I guess Pepe LePew also fits this mold.) She runs around after Jack because she has a crush on him and she wants to add him to her harem of cute boys, who are in her ship. (Her trophy heads are entirely censored out.) Her voice is high-pitched and bubbly as she runs around giggling. At one point she calls him "cutie Jack-chan". I am dying a little just typing this.

The Transformers franchise is aimed at a much younger audience in Japan than in the US. Although they sure didn't hesitate in letting that ship full of "cute boys" get blown up, so there's that I guess. RIP cute boys who Japanese Airachnid kidnapped.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Yes, today is when you watch episodes 13 and 14 together. Better experience if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CaptainSlayer

Hey everyone, just an update that I'll be doing the next two episodes tomorrow instead of today. Sorry for the delay but after getting home late I'm pretty tired and am positive I won't pay full attention to the episodes.

On the plus side, it turns out today is my 3 year anniversary of joining TFW2005. I got a fancy achievement and all. :)  (Even though my profile totally says I joined tomorrow)

• Like Like x 8
  18. CaptainSlayer

Sick Mind & Out of His Head

*warning: there is some explicit language in this entry.

It's not often that I agree with the Decepticons or view the Autobots decisions in a poor light but today's double feature had me thinking "that's fucked up" toward the actions of our heroes.

First off, let me say that it's adorable that Megatron loves Optimus so much that he literally spends all of his comatose time thinking about killing him. It's demented and twisted but also super sweet in a way. The guy even acknowledges that he wouldn't want Optimus Prime to die unless it was by his hand.

Second, this Cybonic Plague (real creative name guys) was pretty convenient to the story here. The landscape shot of the crashed ship when Optimus and Ratchet arrive is breathtakingly beautiful (how had no human seen it before?) and seeing a literal load of corpses laying around in their own blood (energon) keeps the brutality I've come to love from Prime alive.

I also really appreciate the 'we have to work together' aspect that Transformers pulls out every once in a while. It always reminds me of Megatron saving Optimus Prime from Sentinel in Dark of the Moon which is one of my all time favorite scenes. That along with Bumblebee being the star of the show had me pretty excited to see how things were going to play out and I personally think the way they showcased Megatron's mind was phenomenal (which, I could be mistaken but hasn't this been done before in Beast Wars or Beast Machines as well?)

What I didn't like however, is that once Megatron made a deal with Bumblebee, the autobots bailed out of their end of the bargain. I understand that it's a stupid deal to begin with, bringing your mortal enemy back to life but isn't Megatron doing the exact same thing? The Autobots are really scummy in this situation and I didn't appreciate it. I felt bad for the villain and ended up rooting for him to escape this personal hell he was living in (despite it pretty much being a paradise for him) and near the end of the episode I thought they'd gotten one over on him. Honestly, I didn't understand why Sean had asked me to watch two episodes instead of just one until the final seconds of Sick Mind.

Let's just ignore the out of left field convenient plot point of Starscream stealing the lens for a minute and talk about Breakdown. Have I mentioned that I love Breakdown? I -really- love Breakdown. If you took the Bayverse version of Ironhide, made him a Decepticon and gave him a cooler name - you'd have Breakdown. This dude is a freaking tank and there has yet to be a scene with him in this show that he didn't completely steal. He isn't complex, he doesn't have the desire for leadership power and he doesn't have some ultimate motive, he's just there to smash shit and I love that about him.

Optimus also had a really cool tank moment with the laser burning right on him.

As I said, I spent most Out of his Head rooting for Megatron. Ironic considering in previous entries I admitted I was getting tired of the Megatron story and wanted to see a Starscream led Decepticon army. Even more ironic is the absolute hype I felt and the smile on my face when Megatron tackled Scream out of the sky and then dragged him out BY HIS HEAD.

I don't know. I knew Megatron was going to return but I didn't expect it to be in such an epic way. Just like in Dark of the Moon, he saved Optimus Prime except this time he didn't get his head blown off with a shotgun. Sporting a shiny new coat of pain and a whole lot of anger, the king of cons returned with a vengeance and I can't wait to see how Soundwave and Knock Out react.

Taking a step back (there's a lot to talk about/be excited about from these two!) I really loved the dynamic of Raph and Bee in this set. It furthered the idea of them truly caring about one another and Raph staying behind when Bee is shut down just to talk to him reminded me of every day people who do the same for their loved ones when they're in bad health.

Bumblebee, the tiny kid scout of the Autobots, was able to fight off the leader of the Decepticons in a mental battle to prevent him from hurting/killing his closet friend. He wasn't strong enough to stop the ultimate end game of TronCon but his love for his companion amped his motivation up to 11 and got him to act for the safety of Raph and the others and to me, that's just really, really cool.

It was a bit odd that Megatron was able to speak with his own voice as Bumblebee though... I don't really get that part.

Hmm... I feel like I'm missing something but nothing is coming to mind right off the bat so I think I'll leave it here for the day and discuss anything I didn't touch on in the replies with you guys until Monday.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoyed my take on the show.

As for the people who said Transformers: Prime didn't really live up to the quality of the miniseries that launched it, I have to disagree with you. It just keeps getting better and better.

• Like Like x 12
  19. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Well put, Captain. This Megatron is my favorite for many reasons, and one of those reasons is how relentless he is when it comes to accomplishing his goals. He'll go to any extreme even if it might cost him something. Glad you're digging Breakdown, but I'm more of a Knockout guy myself.

As for Megatron speaking through Bumblebee, well it is his mind taking over, so it's one of those "the mind is stronger than the body" type of scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    A question you'll be asking a lot in the future. And no, the show never gives us an answer. :/ We're just expected to believe that, with decades of satellite imagery and hundreds of years of exploration, something so big and exposed just goes undiscovered. Weir dthat they never just said like "An Earthquake had

Nope. Closest we got was Primal trying to communicate with the Grand Mal (the giant floating head) and getting some kind of canned mental harrassment because Megatron's Spark wasn't actually in it.

Be sure to mentally save that moment where Arcee, grinning, shoots Megatron's life support with the intent of killing him. (even though she fails of course) It'll be... interesting in retrospect a few episodes from now.

Breakdown is probably my second favourite Decepticon, my first favourite being someone we've yet to meet. :D  He's just neat, and I like his more subdued personality compared to Knock Out. Also, don't forget about the seeds of backstory planted between him and Bulkhead during his introductory episode. :D 

Even though he kinda had nothing to do with it. I mean he took over Bumblebee but it was only because the Autobots went fishing around in his mind that he stumbled upon his exit. He wasn't concious during his downtime or plotting.manipulation anyone, he just got lucky.

This will become especially confusing later when we learn how Bumblebee lost his English-speaking voice. (I specify English-speaking because, really, he can communicate just fine with everyone he knows except Jack, Miko and Fowler, who he hardly ever talks to anyway)

( >_<*) This is exactly how I felt back then.

• Like Like x 1