Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    While he didn't rip off his arm entirely, Knockout was missing the door on his arm. One of the very few times damage directly carries over between modes consistently in Transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Reask

Reask Predacon

Probably my favourite bit from this episode was Prime asking Raf and Miko where everyone was before they failed miserably at lying. XD

Alright what's the next episode? ... Oh, that one. ... This is going to be so sick! :D 

• Like Like x 2
  3. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Oh?

*Looks up episode*

Oh... no.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Oh it's that episode featuring that one of everybody's bane.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Captain Slayer, given what the next episode entails, you must watch it..

...and then let nothing short of the heat death of the universe prevent you from immediately tracking down the Japanese version of the same episode and watch it. Only after you see what the Japanese did will you understand why this is of the utmost importance.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I completely forgot about this episode, it was fun to rewatch it from "new" eyes again.

- Arcee's transformation from atop Knockout was awesome.
    - Bulkhead, Bee, and Breakdown fight was really fun.
    - Knockout was indeed a standout and showed why he has potential as a character. I agree with you in that this episode was great to see robots interacting outside of fighting.

• Like Like x 3
  7. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I did notice the missing door and was happy that some damage was shown but a sparking arm nub would have been better for me.

Well, you guys have almost made me want to do an episode today but we wouldn't want to break schedule now would we? :p 

Then again, the last time I saw comments like these about an episode Dinobot died. :banghead: 

I'd forgot to mention Arcee skating on top of Knockout. That was awesome. Also, agreed about that fight. Then again, every fight with Breakdown in it has been fun so far.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Glad you're enjoying Knockout, he's definitely one of the most unique characters we've ever had and definitely is a favorite of mine. Breakdown is pretty cool too and he somewhat reminds me of Armada Demolisher. As for the next episode that people are complaining about they don't speak for all of us. I think you might actually like what's next, but we won't know for sure until you watch it.

9. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Don't worry about the other people's comments regarding the next episode. It's a cuddly episode. Bring your favorite teddy bear, dim the lights, and a light snack.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I agree that seeing Knock Out run that guy off the road at the beginning of the episode was both immensely satisfying and brutal. It was sheer luck (and, um, cartoon logic) that the guy didn't die; Knock Out clearly would have been perfectly happy if he had. Watch the finish!

Watching this episode again, I noticed that they actually tried to give some background for why Knock Out was in such a hick area, namely that the police have been cracking down so hard on street races in the big cities that he's having to look farther afield to scratch that racing itch.

I also loved Knock Out being totally unable to tell that Vince the bully was not "Bumblebee's human friend."

And yes, Raf and Miko's poor attempts at lying were GOLD.

Oh, and this is what Mercurymon looks like:

Mercurymon.gif

He can also digivolve into a horrifying, like, stack of eyeballs with a pair of lips on top. Good ol' Digimon, always bringing the creepy. But yeah, if I ever find a video clip of him speaking I'll post it here. Youtube is failing me so far.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Predatory

The bitch is back!

Well, not the bitch, but close enough for me to take her. Airachnid clearly takes inspiration from both Black Arachnia and Predator and the entire episode had me waiting for Arnold to pop out from behind a tree screaming "Do it!"

This marks the first time an episode of Transformers has given me a jump scare. I wasn't expecting Airachnid to be toying with Jack as she crawled over the log and I was already holding my breath in hopes that she'd walk right on past - when her face suddenly popped up I jerked in my seat and realized how tense I'd been for the entire chase scene.

To be direct, blunt and to the point - I love this episode. It offers something I haven't seen in any of the shows I've blogged on this site - a horror/thriller vibe - and mixes scenes from war-era cybertron, modern day earth (human and all) and adds a dash of creepy slenderman woods without missing a beat.

Also, Jack wasn't useless! This dude blew up an entire ship. Sure, he stranded a trophy hunting murderer on Earth but hey he got her all Freddy Krueger'd up in the process and I'd call that a win.

Dark, heavy, epic brutality. Oil splashing on the wall like blood during an execution. Metallic flesh melted with the scratch of an acid nail. A lot of fans on this site sing the praises of Beast Machines for being the most adult oriented and darkest time line of Transformers but in terms of physical violence and general malice Transformers: Prime takes the title with ease. I'm continuously surprised by the violent nature of this show and am still reassuring myself that I just watched a massive spider robot chase a teen with the goal of cutting his head off and sticking it in a tube forever. It. Is. Awesome.

Seeing Arcee in the middle of the Cybertronian war moves me a little closer to the side of the fandom that would like to see a live action film consisting solely of Transformers in battle. I never really pictured the Transformers in military squads, executing orders and follow commands to win an actual war. I don't know why, I just haven't. But seeing war torn Cybertron helped me realize that this is something I'd really like to see more of. All I've gotten from Cybertron on other shows is an empty shell of it's former self with Shockwave sweeping the place up or the Maximals fighting Megatron and an army of drones.

Tailgate. Never heard of him but guessing his name refers to the back of a truck because he got his ass kicked.

Bumblebee and Cliffjumper busting in with the clutch rescue operation was nice since I always love to see big bee in action and didn't expect to see my favorite fiery red Autobot back at all.

I am left with one question though, how the hell did that random camper not hear any of the mechanical violence going on outside his tent?

That's it for today folks. Thanks for checking in and talking about this episode of Prime with me. It's always a pleasure to speak with the lot of you and see how your take on the topic compares to my own!

See you all Friday for what I believe is the last episode on disc two of season one!

• Like Like x 6
  12. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    Who's your favorite character so far?

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I have one, big issue with this episode, and it's Arcee's backstory.

See, and this is no spoiler as I'm sure you can guess, Airachnid will become something of a rival for Arcee. For obvious reasons, I mean she tormented Arcee and killed her partner Cliffjumper-

No, sorry, Tailgate. Right, Cliffjumper was her other partner we saw die at the beginning, from Starscream. Well, see, this causes some narrative issues because Arcee will constantly focus on Airachnid as her primary aggressor... yet will often mourne Cliffjumper for the most part. My question is: why did Arcee need two partners who have died? Does doubling-up on the tragic angst really do anything? It feels like one, effective backstory was split up and butchered whilst doing so. Instead of us witnessing Arcee being forced to watch her partner that we've known die, instead we see the partner we know die, and then quite seperately see her torment. (And funny how Tailgate was never mentioned before now. No "not again" or anything like that from Arcee when she lost Cliff)

Also, I'm glad Airachnid isn't Blackarania, because honestly I hate this character. She is so frigging tryhard it hurts. She's Blackarachnia-lite as far as superficial comparrisons go, she has pretty much no personality besides "oooh I'm bad and I likes a killin'" and feels like, and this is coming as someone who is an avid fanfic writer, a bad fanfic character. :lol 

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Shadowwavepool7

So glad you loved the episode. Airachnid is a very unique character. I find her to be leaps and bounds better than both Black Arachnias. Some people hate her because they think she's a knockoff of Black Arachnia. I suppose we're just not allowed to have another spider girl. It's actually nice that we see a legitimate monster in the Decepticon's ranks because it really diversifies the cast in ways that other shows haven't done.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Now go watch the Japanese version of this episode.

Failing that, just tell me you can't find a sub of it online and I'll just tell you what makes that episode something truly special.

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Well, when there's only been one spider girl in all of Transformers before, and she was also a 'Con with a devilish, seductive femme fatale personality, the comparrisons are fair.

Now if Airachnid was, say, an Autobot who collected stamps, I'd say the comparrisons are unfair. But seeing how incredibly Blackarachnia-like she is, I won't argue with anyone who calls her a knock-off. Just like if a white Porche-looking Autobot with a jive-talkin' personality and love of all things chill named "Coolbot" showed up, I'd say "hey isn't that just Wheelie?"

Uuunnnnnggg I wanna do it but you mentioned it first so that's like dibs, but oh man do I want Slayer to actually find it somewhere.

17. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    You asked me to remind you to watch episodes 13 and 14 together on Friday. Well, I am reminding you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shadowwavepool7

I'm not quite sure emo and boring cliche from both versions are fair comparisons, but sure whatever. So how much like Blackarachnia is she really? Is she spider-like? Yes. Can she fire webs? Sure. Can she turn into a spider? Nope. Can both Blackarachnia's dig underground with their spider legs because I sure can't remember that ever happening. Do they have that one thing that Airachnid can do that I can't say because of spoilers? Nope. Were either Blackarachnias bloodthirsty killers who revel in the pain and deaths of others? Not really. There are plenty of differences to set her apart from what has come before but you don't seem to be looking past the surface here. In fact I bet if she was a male you would probably call him a Tarantulas knock-off.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    "Emo and boring."

I mean, that's a pretty uncreative diss on two far more rounded charatcers than Airachnid, but also pretty hilarious considering how cliche and one-note she is. And the comparrisons speak for themselves considering Cap immediately identified Airachnid as being like Blackarachnia. So yeah, they must be pretty similar.

No, they just have actual personalities and aren't just plot devices in other characters' stories. Guess they really lost this round after all. :( 

Actually, holy shit, you're not far off given Tarantulas' cannibalistic and sadistic habits. Only he was a lot more manic about it.

20. Shadowwavepool7

So you resort to insulting me because of how I present my argument to you? I suppose I should've seen that much coming from you. I'm simply being uncreative to match both character's lack of depth. It took the original Blackarachnia having a relationship with Silverbolt to finally become half of something, and the other was nothing more than an petulant child lashing out. It's clear to me that something you deem a plot device is just a personality that you don't quite care for.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017