Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

Oooooooooh can't wait for new episode tonight!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Con Job
    This episode marks the second example of me owning Transformers: Prime merchandise without knowing it. The previous being the two small figures of Prime Soundwave. I've just noticed that I own 2 Prime Wheeljack figures from the same series and I also have a Prime Wheeljack Deluxe figure I found at 2nd and Charles a year or two ago for about $3 who sits on my blu-ray shelf beside two bayformers figures.

This incarnation of Wheeljack is awesome. I often wondered why the deluxe figure I have had katanas considering the character is usually portrayed as a scientist but with him being a member of the wreckers and an absolute bad ass I can't say I'm upset that he's so different from his G1 counterpart.

I'm disappointed that he decided not to stick around but based on Bulkhead's claim that he always comes back I'm hoping to see him pop in again when the team needs him the way Wreck-Gar did in Animated.

Speaking of recurring themes, Makeshift is the second Decepticon to be killed off in the episode they're introduced in. I appreciated his plot point and I'll admit that I didn't expect for him to have the bomb connected to him instead figuring he would successfully disclose the location of the Autobot base putting our heroes on high alert in following episodes. I am curious however, if it was ever revealed what he looked like outside of his copycat form.

Continuity is like gold to me, Ratchet mentions that their equipment hasn't been the same since the Scraplet infestation and Bulkhead continues to show attachment to Miko, who I'm willing to admit I'm growing fond of. This most basic story telling tool is such a treasure to me after the bayfilms and I'm happy that it's proving to be reliable here -- at least for now.

Starscream also showed his leadership abilitys a bit more in this episode and it was nice to see his plan actually work for the most part. His army even listened to him when he commanded them to jump into the ground portal. Here's to hoping we see some more of that.

Overall today's episode was a lot of fun with some great action and a nice new take on one of my old favorites. His design was very similar to G1 and even though that gave the nostalgic vibe I love, he had no problem making himself a unique and memorable character that stands out.

That's it for today, I'll see you all Wednesday for our next episode and as always - thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 9
  3. darkus Maximus34

darkus Maximus34 One shall DIE,one shall FLY

conjob is pretty decent
    wheeljack is definitely one of my favorite characters in prime

• Like Like x 1
  4. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

This Starscream is not really like any that came before.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Wheeljack is basically Springer in a Wheeljack costume, but since the budget couldn't afford triplechangers we got this instead. As a side note this is the episode where I started to like the show.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reask

Reask Predacon

Makeshift was one of the oddest one off villains this show had in that the very concept of him being a shapeshifter made the rest of this franchise look redundant. That's the perfect Transformer right there, but they had to kill him off because he would be too OP.

Wheeljack shines throughout the rest of the show and helped make the Wreckers more popular beyond the comics. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    I think they killed him off for a number of reasons, being OP notwithstanding. How do you make a toy of a guy that turns into anything?
    Lore-wise, he's supposed to be a 'Mutant' of sorts, a descendant of Amalgamous Prime. Apparently once in a great while in the Aligned Universe, a guy shows up like Makeshift.
    The novels have an entire race of omniformers, too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I am glad that you really enjoy Transformers: Prime, and can't wait for Wednesday's and Friday's.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    I dunno. TF:Animated Starscream was conniving, clever and plotting. TFP Screamer draws more from his original namesake by being a self-aggrandizing coward. He's basically a good mash-up of G1 and TF:A's Screamer.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yeah, Prime has this habit of teasing shakeups and new developments but usually reverts to the same formula. The status quo is constantly at risk, yet hardly ever changes in a meaningful way.

It's worth noting that Wheeljack and Bulkhead being Wreckers is largely in response to the popularity of the "Last Stand of the Wreckers" comic book miniseries. I HIGHLY recommend both it and its sequel, Sins of the Wreckers, though Wheeljack and Bulkhead are a lot less... Wreckery than your average Wreckers, who are usually pretty fucked up on average.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slayer will get to it, SPLIT. ;)  Actually, already has for LSotW...

• Like Like x 1
  12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    :O

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I recall Wheeljack being revealed to us and my reaction was of pure enthusiasm. This take on "Jackie" is fantastic.

I also agree that the Decepticons being killed off while being introduced simultaneously is a bummer. Two characters killed off that I'd enjoy seeing developed more.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Wheeljack's also probably my favourite Prime design, even though he kinda encompasses everything I dislike about the aesthetic, he does it all very well. His rebellious attitude and swords also recall Armada Wheeljack. (who was literally nothing like Wheeljack, but the callback is neat, intentional or not)

• Like Like x 3
  15. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    May have been covered here already (I haven't found it yet)- you mentioned wanting to see Bulkhead in the live action franchise. To my way of thinking, Hound is Bulkhead. He bares absolutely 0 resemblance (other than being a military vehicle) to his G1 name sake. He reminds me very much of Bulkhead though. Strikes me as a hasbro name slap to keep the name rights.

Just my two cents.

There's another character (I won't name) off your wishlist who never shows up by that name- but his personality strikes me as 100% that character. I think you'll know when you see, most of us did. He actually ended up being one of my favorite characters in the series.

16. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    I haven't seen all of Starscream's iterations, but of the ones I have seen this is my overall favorite.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    And he bears zero resemblance other than being fat to either TFA or Prime Bulkhead. (and Bulkhead is usually like a bruiser who's super tough-looking instead of just overweight like Hound)

• Like Like x 1
  18. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

When I heard Bulkhead say his name, I immediately got excited. I've been replaying the episode in my head since I finished it. Something I didn't mention in my entry is that I'm impressed with the Decepticon's dedication to sell the performance by letting Makeshift kill six of the drone like cons in order to make him more believable. That fight scene made me realize Wheeljack was going to be bad ass, even though it wasn't actually him.

G1 Wheeljack was one of my favorite designs but I think it's because the glowing effect on his ears(?), I actually watched something the other day on how they used to get that effect on one of my G1 DVD's and they were showing off some animation errors were the paper didn't line up properly. It was cool to see how creativity worked out back then.

I can see how you'd draw that conclusion but I have to disagree. I think the bayverse Hound is more like his G1 counterpart than Bulkhead but he stands out on his own more than relating to either of them in my opinion. I believe I'm unable to see him like Bulkhead due to the massive chaingun. However, Bayverse Hound is one of the only new Autobots (from 4 and 5) that I enjoy but I base that solely on him being voiced by John Goodman. I love John Goodman. I grew up with Rosanne and the Flintstones live action films so he's kind of my hero. Not to mention his amazing performance in 10 Cloverfield Lane.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

One my favorite episodes.

It was fun and creepy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    John Goodman definietly made Hound one of the best characters (in AOE), nit sure they gave Hound or anybody else besides Cogman ebough screen time in the new movie for it to matter. But yes, despite not caring much for Hound's design he's one of my favorite Bayverse caharcters because of Goodman.

Have you ever seen Barton Fink? It's a very slow, wierd, arty movie (one of the Coen Brother's more challenging films), but it's also one of my very favorite rolls he's done. He plays John Tuturro's wierd neighbor in a live in hotel. It's a smaller supporting role, but that's always what I think of first for John Goodman.

• Like Like x 1