Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The majority of characters in the games were never intended to appear in the cartoon or the toyline (and vice versa-
    no Knockout, Airachnid, Smokescreen, Dreadwing, etc).
    Otherwise Hasbro would've ordered it.
    And I don't know what damage control you're referring to.

I guess I don't see the longest continuously running continuity as a failure. The only competition it has is G1-BM, and that took a long break in the Western Hemisphere.

I could cite the aesthetic & tonal differences between G1 & BW. Or BW & BM. Or G1 & BM. That's not a make or break for me. And most shows would be lucky to say they've so far had 3 successful shows in a row.
    I know you're no fan of TFP, but it's one of my favorite TF shows, & I'm happy with what we've gotten (and are still getting through RB & RID2015). I've been enjoying this series even through its stumbles.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

He means that FoC is basically "look how we fit in the continuity, there were no conitnuity errors, no...".

They ignore dark energon.
    Pre-war OP is now named Orion Pax, while in WFC it was Optimus.
    They turn Trypticon into the Nemesis
    They give OP a blaster similiar to his TFP one.
    And I could go on for days...

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I appreciate your reply but I really like to go in completely blind. I don't mean to sound rude by any means and I'm not upset that this was shared but it can often lead to bigger things leaking out. Thank you for reading and contributing <3

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The fact that FOC had to change so much to fit Prime. Avoiding spoilers, but you know what things I'm refering to.

Longest running? Not even close. IDW has it outpaced, and technically the Beast Era alone ran for longer.

Not really, because the aesthetic differences didn't actually exist. If you put BM Cheetor next to G1 Optimus, that's actually what they look like. When the G1 Bots appeared in BW they were literally just CGI versions of their cartoon/Marvel designs. (and in the Wreckers comics, super detailed BW characters were right alonside blocky G1 guys) Yet when characters made the leap to RB, they had to be totally redesigned. There's adjusting to a different animation medium, and then there's being reinterpreted under a new style.

Also, what tonal differences? Yeah, the tone changes, but as part of the story. I'm refering to the fact that RB is a show for very small children and is entirely detached from Prime and RID, and the world feel totally incompatible despite being one in the same.

But like I said, this isn't about the show's quality. It's about its purpose as part of a larger continuity. A part it willfully ignored and damaged the continuity aroudn it as a result.

I don't mean to derail the thread, especially since we're gonna get to all this eventually anyway as Cap continues, but I just don't see how someone can look at the history of Aligned and think "yeah, that went off without a hitch."

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Reask

Reask Predacon

Slayer! It's been a while since I followed your Beast Wars thread, I cannot wait to see your reactions to the rest of Prime! :D 

All I'll say is, despite some flaws Prime is definitely my second favourite Transformers show behind Beast Wars. I loved Animated but this hit a different spot in me entirely. What really hooked me, the gorgeous redesigns of Arcee and Starscream, as well as Frank Welker back in the role of Megatron. The human cast, can be intially annoying but they get better, around about next episode, which is quite possibly my favourite episode of Prime but that might be over hyping it.

When this show came out I was loving it so much that I could not even stand waiting a week for the next episode most of the time. The extended wait for the season 1 finale was exhausting and the wait for the season 3 premiere was murder on me. Already getting nostalgic here. XD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I do. And I also know those things amounted to little more than cosmetic changes like Cliffjumper's head or little continuity blips that never paid off in the show anyway.

C'mon, you & I both know we're talking about the toons specifically here. And then Beast era ran from 96-2001. That's not outpacing TFP-RID, which began in 2010.

So you wanted the Aligned continuity to branch out, but not adapt to meet the different demographics it was branching out to?
    And we were talking about the change in tone across three different shows (TFP, RB, RID). Not within each show itself, which all stay consistent. Likewise, the tone of G1 is different from BW, which is different from BM. Each show is consistent within itself, but the tone changes from show to show.

No meaningful damage.

I never said that. I said people place too much importance on the 2 High Moon games, when all they really added in terms of continuity was some color to the oft-referenced Great War. I also said it's impossible to reconcile their continuity differences. Hardly, "yeah, that went off without a hitch."
    I doubt Hasbro failed to launch some massive media juggernaut because of a few hiccups between their shows & a couple games. So worrying about what could've been is pointless. They would've steamrolled ahead & expanded the Aligned universe beyond tv shows if they ever had any inclination to do so.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Going to have to get a little spoilery here, but in the wake of FOC, things still were not entirely connective between the end of that game and where Prime begins.

Especially given what Slayer will eventually find out regarding just how little (read: absolutely none) that Prime gave a damn about anything that happened in the games.

Hell, that dinobots comic that used a bunch of toy-only Prime characters late in the Beast Hunters period to try and fix the incompatibility between FOC and Prime? Never even approached solving the problem.

And that's where you're wrong. When WFC was launched, Hasbro touted it as the end-all be-all origin point of Aligned. The major issue with history in-universe regarding G1 is that the cartoon alone proposed three different origins for the cybertronians pre-war. WFC was supposed to take that unrefined material and set up a rock solid foundation so they'd never need to actually deal with answering those questions ever again.

Wrong again. Nobody expected the transition between continuities to be perfect, but the expectation was that specific concepts and ideas would be kept as unquestionably pre-defined guidelines across the series, and by those terms would Aligned be defined.

Prime absolutely fucked it all up by the midway point of Darkness Rising where the entire point of Megatron having abandoned the Decepticons was to go look for shit that was hard to find - Dark Energon.

And I know you haven't played the games, Slayer, but essentially, take a wild guess as to who was responsible for Dark Energon's manufacture in WFC to begin with.
    It's actually Starscream who offers it to Megatron - who is raiding the orbital Energon production plant - in return for a high position of power within the Decepticons

Let me put it this way: there were less hiccups in the version of FOC that launched, than there would have been originally had there been had the game actually stayed true to what WFC established, such as Prime merely just being 'Optimus' originally.

They already tried. Did you forget the Exodus novel, the only reason the Thundertron toy exists? Or how about the collective comedy of failure that was the JAGEX MMO-turned-MOBA-then-cancelled Transformers: Universe game?

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    So Optimus Prime's origin being completely different and incompatible is a "blip?"

But that's just it, I'm not. Aligned was supposed to span multiple media, not just cartoons. So it's perfectly reasonable to compare it to other non-cartoon continuities in that regard.

Yes meaningful damage. Because basically Aligned was to take over. As in, Aligned would be Transformers. It honestly sounded like Hasbro was ready to phase out or diminish every other part of the brand in order to have one encompassing continuity.

And the very second entry shot that all down. The whole thing is a mess now.
    Except they weren't supposed to be, they were supposed to be the launch point for the whole thing. They've only just been reduced in significance to what you describe because the continuity is so poor now, but they were intended to be ostensibly "the new G1." They were the foundation for Aligned, and are at best now a footnote.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptainSlayer

Scrapheap
    This episode is my favorite out of the seven I've watched this week.

Despite the absence of all Decepticon characters the parasitic Scraplets made my skin crawl and itch. Seeing them burrow into the Autobots made me shiver and very uneasy. Combine that with the emotion displayed in multiple scenes, particularly the touching moment between Arcee and Prime in the arctic and you have a wonderful showing that I wasn't expecting to see today.

It was touching to see Jack notice Rafael down in the dumps and make an attempt to cheer him up. Growing up in South Carolina, I connected with him becoming upset over not being able to see snow. Every couple of years we will get one good storm but it's a rare sight and as a kid that really hurts for some reason.

The writers did a spectacular job introducing the Scraplet in a way that made him adorable and cuddly. I was shocked when he revealed all those teeth and I'll admit I felt a certain kind of way when Raf ended up beating the thing to death. Here he is with a brand new friend that he clearly already cares about and in a flash he's having to off it with a crowbar.

I don't remember seeing the Autobots this afraid of something, Bulkhead's scream was killing me and I was smiling the entire time he wrestled with the hanging wires but that humor turned to panic when he actually got covered in those things - seriously, I can't reiterate enough how uncomfortable this entire episode made me.

I was worried about the Autobots. I find it unbelievable that the kids were able to beat all of the Scraplets off of Bumblebee and Bulkhead with just a melee weapon. There were hundreds of them and if I recall correctly they never even showed how Bulkhead got them off of him after they fell from the ceiling.

The affection Ratchet shows for the humans at the end of the episode connected with me and I appreciate the effort to make them relatable by the creators. As I said in my previous blog, it's an unpopular opinion but I love human characters in Transformers and even though they had cringy lines in the five parter these three are starting to grow on me.

The only question I really have about this one is, how much juice can that fire extinguisher hold? I used a can of raid to off some wasps at work today and after a solid two minutes it was empty.

Also, Optimus Prime spent all that time freezing to death and still didn't bring that snowball he promised.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and I hope to see you all Monday as we dive into the next Prime adventure.

Thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 8
  10. darkus Maximus34

darkus Maximus34 One shall DIE,one shall FLY

scrapheap is my 3rd favorite episode from season 1
    bulkhead scream was hilarious

• Like Like x 1
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    The Bulkhead screaming bit was probably my least favourite part. It was funny for sure, but then they spent about fifty years dwelling on it, and then the reincorperation at the end was dumb. We got it.

Otherwise I liked the episode even if I found it weird that big giant Optimus freezes about as fats as tiny little Arcee. You'd think he'd retain heat just a little longer than her.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    These are how the scraplets looked in the Marvel comic in case you didn't know.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. Reask

Reask Predacon

^^^^ Poor old Blaster got owned by them. XD
    MarvelUS-29.jpg Scraplets.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    They're like angry robot termites.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CaptainSlayer

Oh wow, thanks for the pictures guys. I didn't know they weren't original creations for Prime. The one with the single eye reminds me of Bayverse Shockwave or that Gorgonite from Small Soldiers.

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Scrapheap is a surprisingly good episode. I rewatched it the other night in the spirit of your articles and it struck me just as much as the first time watching it how enjoyable it was. The early episodes of Prime show a tremendous groove by the writers, easily some of the best Transformers episodes.

Good work, keep it up!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Except that WFC was originally supposed to be a G1 prequel according to early High Moon statements (and later reiterated by Rik Alvarez of Hasbro).

This is why I take PR statements with a grain of salt. They can say whatever, but the end result is really the only thing that we can judge by. Most people who watched the show or played the games likely would've never heard these PR statements & took the products for what they were: different animals with a few of the same spots.

It's why I don't get worked up about it & just enjoy them separately for what they are. But hey, if you still need a tie-in video game that doesn't muck up the continuity, there's always this:

Attached Files:

18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Ah, but it's not PR statements I'm going off of. It's statements from interviews and panels from after the fact. I, too, believed WFC was a G1 Prequel when it came out. It certainly looked like one, and indered Aligned would've looked more G1-styled going off the Binder of Revelation.

If you look at the TFWiki article on it, and go down to "Clashing visions" the crumble of Aligned is fairly well documented. Hell, the very first line is about how Prime went against the continuity on purpose, and the Binder of Revelation, this gigantic continuity bible, just got thrown out. It was a massive farce.

Plus, and I think this is what really bugs me about the whole Binder debacle:

The continutiy Prime ditched the Binder in favour for wasn't even that good. The lore and history of the show can be written on a napkin for all its nuance and significance. It's incredibly derivitive, using largely unoriginal plots with less effectiveness and grandeur than their original depictions, and the universe feels completely empty and woefully undersized for the scope it's trying to achieve. For all it's grand imagery and talk of the 13 and all that, the universe still feels populated by only about two dozen guys at most.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I gotta say real quick, as long as we're taking about "Scrapheap," that I love the design for the little piranhas. They're so cute! Even when they have their teeth out!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. CaptainSlayer

Sorry for the delayed reply Reask, I saw your message on mobile and then forgot to follow up when I got back on my computer. It's good to see you again! I love seeing old friends popping in for the new blog and there's been quite a few this far. :) 

That's the benefit and curse of doing them with the blu-rays, I don't have to wait longer than I want too for the next episode but I can also get exhausted hitting them too fast. Being in no rush to cross the finish line with Prime and going with the 3 days a week schedule seems to be working pretty well to balance that out. :) 

Thank you Matty! I appreciate the support and encouragement. :) 

Agree to disagree. While they're adorable with their mouth shut, once they open wide it becomes nightmare fuel.

• Like Like x 2