Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    The amount of spoilers I want to drop right now... Anyhow, glad you liked the opening. Prime was one of my favourite series and I hope you enjoy it too! To answer your question, you guessed right, that was indeed Laserbeak.

Also back to the earlier discussion, there aren't many multi-part episodes this season that you might want to watch in one viewing. If I see a group that I feel if watched seperately may provoke people to accidentally drop spoilers, I'll shoot you a PM.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Awesome write-up. I felt a lot like you did when I first watched this. I thought "man, this is what the movies should've been" and I thought for sure it'd be my favourite TF show ever next to Beast Wars.

I had many of the same first impressions, too. Especially Starscream, whom I was dead certain would become the most successful, greatest Starscrema ever. Though some different opinions I had were those on Bulkhead. I love TFA Bulkhead, he's a lovable goofball with a heart of gold and hidden savant talents behind his humble exterior. Prime Bulkhead though, lacks that lovable child-like demeanour and any inclination of intelligence or aptitude in any regard besides "smashing things." Unfortunately I can't find anything more to say because all my opinions ride heavily on future developments I don't want to spoil. :x

But I will say this: Prime couldn't have come at a better time. TFA had ended almost tragically thanks to CN, and ROTF was the most recent movie with DOTM not yet released. So not only ahd we just got the worst movie of the OT, the best cartoon in years was basically ripped away. Then here comes Prime, practically a mix of both series with heavy fanservice. Cullen and Welker are back, the aesthetic is the cool factor of the movies minus the off-putting levle of details, and Optimus is in his G1 colourschemes. We have a fembot as a main character with a storyarc, the Decepticons are a threatening force. Prime was practically making it its mission to do everything TFA didn't already cover, and outdo everything the movies had already done. It was custom-made for its era, and won over a lot of people. Also, it was originally intended to be in-continuity with the video games, hence Dark Energon which appeared in WFC. Unfortunately, it utterly failed to do this right off the bat because the production crew wanted to do their own thing, despite the entire reason for the show's existence being to tie into the games and start this brand new Alighned continuity of which everything would eventually converge on. That crashed and burned hilariously.

For non-spoiler things to talk about, I gotta say I liked Prime's aesthetic when I first saw it, but man it has lost it's appeal over the years. I'm not a fan of how everyone follows very basic "sleak" designs except for Bulkhead, and the faces are very generic and lack the individual personality of Animated. Far too many character have triangular faces with round heads and central head crests, and they generally share the same pointed, tapered look to all their limbs and the kibble placement is pretty bland. You don't have a guy with treads for arms or wheels in their knees, or the front of the car for feet or the windsheild on the arms. Generally everyone has the front of their alt mode for their chest, with the wheels in their legs and on the backs of shoulders. Little design flourishes common in Animated are virtually nonexistant in this series. Few characters feature a motif or much in the way of creative character touches. Ratchet lacks the age-defining features of TFA, Bulkhead doesn't have the cute little treads in his feet, Soundwave doesn't have a musical motif, etc. I'm not saying they should've reused these exact concepts, but they removed them and replaced them with nothing. Though as an aside, check out Starscream's chest and see if it looks familiar. ;) 

And the only reason I wrote such a huge message is I want to get all this out now lest I accidentally blurt out something spoilerish as you go along.

• Like Like x 5
  3. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I remember the first time I was watching Prime was when it premiered on Teletoon way back on January 9, 2011 and I was so ecstatic when I saw it. The animation was gorgeous and the voice acting was perfect and on-point. Now of course, I see it's flaws and what it could have done better, but in my case, the many pros outweigh the few cons and I still love Prime to this day, so I hope that you enjoy it as well.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great blog!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Wonderful write up. It's a shame you found out about that one spoiler, but it's shouldn't ruin your experience with it at all. I think this show will be something really special for you. It's got the best Megatron, Starscream, and Ratchet to date, and a few other wonderful characters that I can't wait for you to meet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I knew you'd love those five episodes and that they'd make up for the how displeased you've been with the direction the movies have taken. While over time, I have come to see quite a few flaws in them, they are still a great watch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Great write-up! TFP is the best TF series besides BW an Animated IMO. After Darkness Rising the series has its ups and downs, but I think you'll love the season 2 Finale!
    Ninja Edit: I forgot Beast Machines, so TFP is my 4th favourite show, which doesn't say much because I've never watched the UT and i hate G1.
    Is there a denfinitive reason for TFA's cancelation? Some say it was becuase it didn't sell (but I don't think so, since it made more money than Prime), others because Hasbro wanted to make way for ROTF, and others because CN changed the emission time. Maybe a mix of those 2?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TwitchingFool0

TwitchingFool0 Hated by many, liked by few.

I'm not sure about that but for me watching Animated on TV was frustrating. They changed the time in which it aired and sometimes the day where I am (USA in Utah). The airing of it was just a mess so that's the first thing that pops into my head.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Thank you for refraining ;) 

Good, I'm glad to see Laserbeak though it is a little confusing that he isn't really a bird but just a... Cybertronian paper airplane or something.

Also, thank you for the offer. I appreciate all the help I can get during these things!

I'll be sure to take a closer look at Scream's chest when I see him again. Me remembering the Dark Energon must be from WFC then as I've played a bit of the game but not a lot, I wasn't the type of fan then that I am now. I'd really love to go back and play those two games but I don't want to drop the crazy high prices Activision is asking for the Xbox One ports.

I absolutely love Animated's Bulkhead but on first impressions, I love Prime's as well. I don't have a clear preference over one of the other. I'm just happy to have him back!

Also, your message makes me feel as though Prime is going to screw up down the road since all of this things you 'thought' are said in a way that they just didn't pan out. I'm going to keep my hopes up for now but something tells me Starscream won't get the light I'm hoping he will.

Imagine how I felt going from the bay films to G1 then Beast Wars. I got very nostalgic for Beast Wars while watching it because the Animation style reminded me of Halo: Combat Evolved so much. When I hit Animated I was like, "There doesn't have to be animation errors on 2D style Transformers!?" :p 

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) 

Thank you, Shadow. This is the way I feel about it to be honest - it sucks to know it but I don't feel like it's tainted the experience at all. I just wanted to be upfront about it in case anyone was eager to see my initial reaction like in previous blogs. I'm sure there are plenty of other surprises on the way.

As for the others - The best Starscream isn't too hard to beat for me. Megatron in Beast Wars and Beast Machines is kind of hard to beat and Ratchet is just the best wherever I see him but after yesterday's battle, I'm ready to see much more of him!

Everything has flaws. Some glaring and some not so much. For example, I hated Revenge of the Fallen and actually ranked it lower than Age of Extinction at the end of my G1 blog. After TLK, I revisited ROTF and found that I liked it -way- more than the last two movies - human decepticons and all. I'm sure I'll have some gripes by the end of the blog or more likely my second or third viewing of Prime but for now, I'm content to see what comes my way.

You were 100% right though, it feels extremely liberating to watch good transformers in action again.

Thank you! I miss Beast Wars. I should have included Dinobot in the list of 'Autobots' I'd like to see in Prime. I know it's super doubtful but considering the name of the movie that finishes up Prime, I have no issue letting myself hope just a little. ;) 

In my Animated blog, I heard all of those reasons. The only thing I have to say about it is that I wish we could have finished up some of the stories. I feel like Black Arachnia and Sari were cut way too short in that show. On the other side of the coin, I got wierd al as Wreck-Gar and that's all that really matters.

I somehow managed to never see a single Transformers TV show on TV except for Animated. I saw a single episode, way back when, and it was a serious de'ja'vu feeling during the blog.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    TFA was essentially a victim of circumstance. It was basically created as a fallback in case the radical departure of the movies was a failure, which they weren't, so technically it lasted longer than it should have. Add to that CN was CN, and Hasbro wanted to do their own network and produce their own cartoon, and TFA just kinda got squeezed out. It did sell well, quite well I believe, but the idea was to move to a more synergistic approach with Prime and capitalize more directly on the success of the films. Hence why Optimus and Bumblebee are so much like their movie counterparts.

Hence the frustration that for all Hasbro's want of a more movie-like show on their own network, we're right back to a hyper cartoony looking show on CN, only it's nowhere near as good as TFA in any regard, which really makes it seem like Animated died for nothing. Unit:E crashed and burned, the HUB crashed and burned, and now we're at least than we were back in 2009.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff TFW2005 Supporter

Let it in man, just let it in...

rs_sad.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

I'm glad you enjoyed, Starscream in this series is RUTHLESS at times and comical as all hell at others. I believe if you don't listen to the very vocal minority this will be your new favorite series.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Not to go too off topic, but ultimately what the hell even was Unit:E?

14. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Do you know what IDW's Revolution is? The same for Hasbro TV shows.

15. Autobot Burnout

Oh, so cross-sell garbage, got it. Not a fan in the slightest of Revolution being one of those stupid crossovers that actually impact the main narrative and from the sounds of it we dodged a bullet with Unit:E.

Though the reasons as to why we dodged that bullet, in my opinion, I can't say at this time.

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    From the sounds of it, Unit:E wouldn't start out as a crossover, but build to one as each show was produced and established, just in the same universe. It wasn't going to be quite the backwards approach Revolution is taking.

No, the real problem with Unit:E (besides the name) was that it was to start this big continuity with Prime. But Prime was itself meant to be the next chapter in a brand spanking new TF continuity, and completely failed to adhere to the continuity it was expressly created to do so.

Even if things had taken off with the other shows, it probably wouldn't have even come to fruition given the track record.
    "The very vocal minority" isn't quite the minority you think it is.

Also, I never took Cap for someone who can be swayed too far from his own opinion. Maybe change how he thinks but something, but not what he thinks of it in the end. Whether he listens to anyone or not, I doubt his views on the show will be dramatically affected.

Regardless of what it says about the show if listening to those critical of it is all it takes to alter one's opinion of it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Autobot Burnout

Given it's Prime? Not surprised it failed to do that.

18. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff TFW2005 Supporter

You'd better be watchin Prime in there!!!

031-the-shining-theredlist.png

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    You'll either love her or hate her. I can see why you would think that when you first meet her but overall I found her much more entertaining to watch than the other humans, despite not always agreeing with her actions. I found Jack and Raf boring personally. They just don't have the energetic emotion that Miko has.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Think of Miko as what Natasha "Black Widow" Romanov might have been as a kid.

As for the thread, my response is: "Oh my."

• Like Like x 1