Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Also, the result of what happened when Fowler was found in Raf's room will get addressed briefly next episode!
    :lol 

Another funny Formspring story: Derrick J. Wyatt liked to heckle him and call him Carl Fredericksen due to their similar appearance. And he also called him Ralf too. On one occasion, Wyatt signed up Animated Straxus (who's played as a big, pompous buffoon) to be married to Cass Elliot (don't even ask).

Wyatt went to Raf and said "Ralf, Straxus has asked you to be his flower girl. No need to respond, I already said you'd be thrilled."

Raf responded, "He's getting marri-you told him WHAT"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Since the rivalry between Bulkhead and Breakdown begins in the show, I've always want to know how thing would turn out to been for the rivalry.

Nothing awesome was ever done with it through. Breakdown get killed when he shouldn't be, Silas (Or whoever that is) get Breakdown's corpse and make himself more powerful, and that's it. We never properly know anything about their rivalry, Bulkhead just doesn't give a damm when Breakdown was dead (Even a simple "Wait? You're dead but how?" kinda line from Bulkhead would've been nice), and that's the end for another potentially interesting rivalry.

• Like Like x 4
  3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

Legacy

We've still got quite a ways to go before this blog is concluded but I'm confident in saying that this episode will likely make it into my top five for the series when all is said and done.

Smokescreen seems to be more child like than Bumblebee but every time I begin to think that he shows that he also has a mature side by displaying his knowledge of the Iocon relics and by owning up to his mistakes to the rest of the team. I wasn't expecting him to transform and freak out the one redneck with a crowbar and Bee's reaction as the guy went to snap the picture was hilarious.

However, this episode ended up taking on a much deeper story than I initially thought and Smokescreen sealed his place in my heart with his line of, "I don't know, whose asking?" to Megatron. That line has got to be my absolute favorite in the show and the way it got under Megatron's skin (uh, metal?) was just perfect, simply perfect.

The sword I'm unfamiliar with. I got a strong Excalibur vibe when it couldn't be pulled from the rock and the minute Megatron said that it would only react to the power of Prime I was eagerly rooting for Optimus to show up and grab hold - thankfully, I was not let down.

What followed was an awesome play of events where in a single swipe the Decepticon armada suddenly found themselves on the losing side of the war. Watching Megatron retreat with fear in his eyes is something not yet shown in Prime - even when Jack had the opportunity to drill right through the guys head he simply smiled at the face of death, but this relic changes all of that.

So Optimus ends up casting the Warlock's Dawnblade ultimate to bring down the Nemesis and we're left with him receiving a message from Alpha Trion himself after giving a stern speech (that I felt emotion in!) to the team about the responsibility that comes with being a titan on a world of puny fleshlings.

The Last Knight is still a fresh wound to me and I was worried that Optimus Prime was about to go all Nemesis Prime and get glowing purple eyes before slicing everyone down but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Don't get me wrong, I'd entertain the thought of Nemesis Prime appearing in this show but my god please let it be better than some face paint and glowing eyes.

Also, Bulkhead is back in action now. That's good to see and they further reinforced him and Smokescreen being alright by having the big guy watch his back.

Overall, I think that's about it. This episode was a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever heard Megatron declare that it was the Decepticon's Darkest Hour and I genuinely feel excited for what's the come. Here's to hoping things pick up this Wednesday!

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that by seeing 'Nemesis Prime', I mean evil Optimus and not a MECHbot knock off. ;) 

• Like Like x 9
  4. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Life's suffering slave

The Star Saber originated from Armada and it was three Minicons combining into sword, and in the Japanese G1 continuity there was a guy named Star Saber. It really depends on the continuity.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I have to ask how they were on the winning side of the war when so far after a three year stalemate, they've only killed two Autobots against four major losses (Skyquake, Makeshift, Breakdown, Hardshell), one captured (Airachnid), one kicked out (Starscream), and countless numbers of vehicons slain. And the enemy has been bolstered by Wheeljack and now Smokescreen.

Oh, and the kids fuck the Decepticons over simply by existing, there is that as well.

Nemesis Prime did show up though. Don't you remember the black Prime clone? Traditionally, that's all Nemesis Prime is - an all-black evil Optimus Prime.

So all that bellyaching about how screwed he was from the injury was pointless, instead having him make a full recovery like every Autobot that isn't killed immediately upon taking damage.

• Like Like x 3
  6. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

TFP is actually one of the most popular Transformers series as far as I can tell. (Judging based on currently produced fan material--fanfiction, fan art, etc.)

Which is not to say people who dislike the series are "wrong" to dislike it, because that's not something you can be wrong or right about. If you dislike a series then you dislike it, if you like it then you like it. I'm just saying that a dislike of TFP is not in any way universal. And I do think that some people kind of forget that this is a show intended for seven year to ten year olds. So it doesn't surprise me when, for example, Breakdown's "pain receptors are turned off" by Silas or when a kid character is portrayed as having unrealistic abilities in a show aimed at kids.

I can definitely understand how the wait for new episodes and unfulfilled promises from the creators can have an influence. I can certainly think of some instances where I was disappointed or wished something was done differently. But for me the positives by far outweighed the negatives.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So I'm way behind, just finished season 1. I'll keep it short since I know this group has covered it already.

Season 1 of Prime can be argued is one of the best Transformers seasons. Period. The finale especially is top tier. So much promise set up in those final episodes ...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Legacy wasn't that bad. A great humiliation conga for Megs, for sure. Obviously the big talking point is the end when Optimus got the Star Saber. So... notes.

* As I mentioned, it's offhandedly said that Fowler is relocating Raf's family, since the Decepticons found where he lives last episode. More on that will come later in a way.
    * I found it amusing watching the Insecticons used for grunt labor hauling rocks. Just mildly amusing to see them ingratiated fully into the Decepticons.
    * "Darkest hour" is used for the fourth time in the series in this episode. It's a little twist that it's Megs saying it this time, but the quote really doesn't have any meaning to me anymore due to how much it's been overused in Prime.
    * Megs' incredulous "who in the Pits of Kaon is that?!?" is funny just from how genuinely puzzled he is on an already shitty day. :lol  Megs' desperation in general was funny as hell. Dropping the entire mountain on Optimus and of course that look of pure horror. Reminds me of that time in WFC when Omega Supreme showed up in the background and Breakdown was like "um... Megatron?" And Megs showed his normal, non bombastic tyrant self with a casual "what?" before he saw Omega :lol 
    * Yep, Bulkhead's completely back to normal by this episode.
    * I'm a sucker for glowing neon lights in the dark so I loved the final scene with the Star Saber for visuals at least.

Legacy seems to be one of the better regarded episodes. Maybe not as much as Partners or Stronger Faster, but yeah. It's liked enough. I'd say next episode is about in par with this one in quality, albeit the title was always weird to me.

• Like Like x 3
  9. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

Oh, nice. Armada was actually supposed to be the fourth show I blogged before I lost interest. I've never seen it despite owning a DVD I bought from Blockbuster with Megatron on the front when they were going out of business. It's scratched all to hell and I doubt it will work.

Easy, they have an army and a warship against a handful of Autobots. If they would have just bombarded Earth, they could have won. I call that winning.

See my edit in the post as I clarified that bit. :) 

Would you rather him be waddling around with crutches and an aching back with a super depressing story line of "I'll never be the same! They took my legs!"?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    And yet despite having an infinitely larger army and a warship capable of bombing Earth...they never actually DO.

Arguably, the Decepticons were better off when Starscream was in charge because he'd kept an Energon mine operating in total secrecy for at least three years AND offed one-sixth of all Autobot forces without any reprecussion.

Notice how things completely just go off the rails when Megatron shows up and proceeds to not only demolish EVERYTHING Starscream managed to achieve in that time, but also completely fail to actually achieve anything himself of lasting significance other than further driving his own faction into gradual oblivion and burning irreplacable resourcecs faster.

Megatron in this continuity is, quite frankly, a complete moron. Which is completely at odds with the fact he's supposed to be one and the same as WFC/FOC Megatron who doesn't take any shit from underlings and in FOC, wastes no time in getting the ball rolling for the Decepticons again after Soundwave rebuilds him.

I would rather he just straight up have died and Wheeljack end up joining the team full-time.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Reask

Reask Predacon

Legacy is one of my favourite episodes despite beginning a sudden urge within me to hate Arcee. Before the episode came out they released an image of Prima, the first Transformer, wielding the Star Saber. He never appears in the show and it was more of a promotional image but the redesign of the sword was great, although I wish they kept the little feature of having a place in the hilt to put the Matrix into.

I do feel as if the scale of the mountain felt too small. When Megatron dropped it towards Optimus, it looked more like a big rock than a 'mountain'. Still it was great to see Megatron wet himself over such a relic and use the classic darkest hour line in a more ironic manner.

• Like Like x 2
  12. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the sword is the star saber, it debuted in TF: armada as a weapon formed by 3 minicons. then it entered TFP and mainstream fiction as the weapon of Prima, leader of the 13 original transformers/primes. one of them, solus prime, is the original owner of that big hammer they found in operation bumblebee.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Reask

Reask Predacon

Speaking of the Thirteen, I'm not sure if someone's brought this up but I want to blow Slayer's mind with this little bit of info, or make him cringe which is most likely to happen.

One of the Thirteen was The Fallen, yeah the same guy from the second Bay film, kind of. Guess what his original name was? (This was never stated in the show so it's not a spoiler) Megatronus. Yeah, the 'original Decepticon' was called Megatronus. The same guy Megatron named himself after as stated in season 1. lol. XD

• Like Like x 2
  14. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    incorrect my friend, that information was revealed in the one shall rise multiparter. BURN! lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reask

Reask Predacon

Well that was still season 1. ;) 

16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    It should be noted that The Fallen originally was not a blatant expy of Megatron in the past, but instead a completely stand alone character that was the 'Judas' of the Thirteen who first appeared in Dreamwave's "War Within" comic, famous for being the guy always on fire.

Additionally, he was the source of a major controversy regarding the entire franchise as until a few years ago, apparently the guys in charge of the ongoing Timelines comic for the now-defunct TFCC thought the Thirteen were the exact same individuals across all the universes, much like the concept of Unicron is a shared conciousness across all individual Unicrons across all timelines.

As in The Fallen in every continuity ever was in fact the same individual.

And then somebody at a QnA asked if Shattered Glass The Fallen was an ice guy since, y'know, the original one was fire. The answer was 'Shattered Glass Fallen doesn't exist' which obviously doesn't jive with the fact that Alpha Trion, also one of the Thirteen, is pretty fucking evil regarding his Shattered Glass version.

There also was the problem the movies caused as a result of this since, y'know, The Fallen kinda dies at the end of ROTF and they couldn't allow the equivelent of Robot Satan to be permakilled in everything in this franchise till the heat death of the universe.

So ultimately they had Nexus Prime (the Prime of combiners) shatter the timeline or something so now each timeline has its own Thirteen and stuff to screw around with.

(Maccadam is still a Prime in all of them and you can't convince me otherwise!)

• Like Like x 3
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Such a wonderful name. "We need a Prime-sounding name for Megatron. How about just putting an "us" at the end? LET'S DO IT."

You gotta be somethin' special to sound worse than Rodimus.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Hmm, let me try:

Erectorus.

Sounds like some kind of really inappropriate dinosaur or something from the movies lol.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I was gonna say, that sounds liek a Dinosaur name.

But Megatronus is just... it's so obviously just an existing name with "us" at the end. It's just so bad.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    To be fair, the entire Covenant of Primus book is nothing more than a really poorly written love triangle with a fancy transforming cover.

• Like Like x 2