Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    So... MECH was utterly pointless, I guess.

You know, considering both Starscream and Soundwave turn into incredibly deadly jet-powered vehicles, they never actually perform the function of these vehicles. Transformation is kind of worthless in this show, little more than a means of transportation.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

God, that reminds me of how badass "MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE" was in the pilot.

That phrase, let alone the concept of just running over your enemies, is never revisited.

3. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Oh yeah this episode was something else. Seeing Silas all disfigured with all those wires and tubes inside of him is probably the most disturbing visuals in any TF show. I mean how does he go to the bathroom? Questions best left unanswered. I always considered the reason he killed off his whole squad was because of the brain damage he more than likely suffered. Then add the merging himself to a dead robot definitely had some sort of side effect on him.

Bulkhead was a real dick to Smokescreen early on, but he did redeem himself at the end.

And at long last that stay tuned for Knockout's reaction finally paid off. He did care after all, and for the first/only time in the series Knockout is intimidating. That face he made at the end is haunting. Nothing can help you cope with the loss of a friend better than some good old-fashioned torture.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    As haunting as Knockout's goofy face can look I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I didn't talk about Bulkhead in depth because it wasn't until this episode that everything became clear. Sorry that you had to get disappointed and all.

As I said, this is probably the most controversial episode for several reasons. One, the wiping out of MECH and pretty much end of Silas, after a lot of build up and (at this point in 2012) about two years of it. Two, Bulkhead making a full recovery in just a few episodes despite Ratchet's bleak prognosis in what was one of the most dramatic episodes of the series (and really cheapens said episode too). Three, Bulkhead getting over his resentment of Smokescreen after one episode. Four (kinda lumping it in), the quick demise of Damocles.

This episode either introduced a plot and dumped it, or killed a plot point that had either been around for years or just started and had potential for more. A giant episode of wasted opportunity.

I can't say this episode burns me as much as another episode of the series does. But it's certainly probably one of if not the worst episodes of the series.

How cool would it have been to have Cylas join the Decepticons? I loved his backpedaling when he was real casual with Megs, but remembered that he was interviewing to be Megs' new flunky. Pretty amusing. And Cylas was a great asset. If he had kept MECH around, he still would've had his human connections and resources to put at the disposal of the Decepticons. But no, his satellite fails, and Megs dumps him.

Let's see. What did I like about this episode? Hmm. Here's some notes.

* Again, the moment where Cylas backpedals was amusing.
    * The ending where Knock Out cheerfully hauls Cylas away was a bit unnerving. The way he smiled "Breakdown would be tickled", then put on a game face at the flip of a hat, was actually a little intimidating, coming from the comic relief Decepticon. Back in the day it was a good reminder that for all of KO's likability and humor, he's still a Decepticon. More on that will come later, though.
    * This episode is pretty much what we'd been waiting for in regards to Knock Out properly reacting to his best friend's death. Or rather, now we knew he really was his best friend (considering how mildly lamentful he was before).
    * More on Breakdown - Bulkhead doesn't give a shit that he's dead. He just remarks it's been a while since he's seen him, but for all the supposed rivalry, he doesn't react to Breakdown being dead. Just to the presence of Cylas.
    * All wasted potential aside, Cylas is still pretty grisly looking, but I'm squeamish so maybe it's not that bad all things considered.

Next episode kicks off a big story arc that leads into the season finale in addition to the series finale.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Autobot Burnout

Catheter tube.

I mean, goddamn, how do you think they use the toilet for patients in hospitals who can't be moved from their beds?

The show isn't going to answer the question because it's a kids show, but don't act like there isn't a simple answer.

Plus he isn't that bad looking. I mean, a major reason why I kept telling Captain to not look up the toyline is because Takara actually retooled War Breakdown into Silas Breakdown, complete with the Terminator head and more importantly Silas in the chest cavity.
    [​IMG]
    No, it was pretty obvious that having become as close to a true Cybertronian as he was going to get, he didn't actually need his old cohorts anymore.

Personally, I would have loved for trace remnants of Breakdown's consciousness to emerge and start fighting Silas for control over the body, since then there was the possibility of getting Breakdown back in some way or another and I would excuse his shitty death.

Oh, that pissed me off big time. They introduce the guy as being somebody with established history with Bulkhead, a really good idea because later we'll see this get developed, even moreso after Bulkhead insists on saving Breakdown from MECH...and then nothing. Abso-fucking-lutely nothing. Just another example of the show putting out plot threads it never delivers on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah I guess it's just me being squeamish. :lol  Does he even need the tube anymore? Eh.

Yeah! Maybe like a Dinobot II deal, just presumably without the heel face turn. I had this idea a while back where Breakdown takes Hardshell's role in the Toxicity/Hurt two-parter, including his death. Basically Breakdown regrets seemingly finally killing Bulkhead, and insists he isn't a monster, but ultimately dies (killed by Miko or whoever) before he can try to make good on it. Or something.

8. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Charming and polite as ever I see. And no, it can be both not needing his men and having brain damage from both the rubble and the merging.

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    It can, but why would it? He doesn't act brain-damaged. It's more logical it was simply the former.

10. Autobot Burnout

Why are you insisting brain damage though? Him murdering his allies before jumping ship to the Cons makes perfect sense as a message to his new masters he serves THEM and not the humans anymore.

QFT

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Listen folks, please limit the SPOILER discussions... deleted a few here.

You know it's too tempting NOT to look. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    We're clearly in the lowest point of TFP. In my opinion season 3 is an improvement, but the damage is already done. If anything Season 3 to me is more consistent in quality. Doesn't mean it's amazing quality, mind you, but I feel like it never took the massive nosedive that Season 2 did and stayed at the same level, for better or worse.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reask

Reask Predacon

Little late to the party but has anyone pointed out yet who voiced Shockwave in this series? Yet another Beast Wars veteran, Depth Charge's voice actor. I officially call him Depthwave, or Shockcharge. :D 

And Slayer did you notice in the Toxicity episode that Hardshell said: "Yesss" all Beast Wars Megatron like? ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  14. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

That's an interesting theory but I don't think I see it that way. I think Silas just got a little power hunger when he realized he was a literal mech and decided he didn't need human help anymore - ironic considering that was his whole selling point to Megatron.

But with that being said, it definitely could have been.

If this is the bottom of the barrel for Transformers: Prime then everyone who rages against the show has crazy high expectations and the rest is going to be a breeze. I have yet to find this huge disappointment that so many people seem to carry in relation to Prime. There've been a few miss episodes and some recurring tropes that I'm not fond of but I've had a wonderful time watching and really enjoy it!

Hey Reask!

I don't think I caught the yes line in Toxicity but that's an awesome homage! As for Shockwave's voice actor, someone did point that out actually! I thanked them because I'd nearly forgotten Depth Charge existed!

• Like Like x 7
  15. Autobot Burnout

I think you need to factor in that you've got the entire series readily available on disc, whereas most of our opinions were formed from its original airing. Complete with the hype commercials and the long gaps between new episodes at times.

You're going in blind, whereas we had ongoing interviews with the guys in charge of the show making promises they never kept.

Also you really don't seem to mind how fucking OP the show made the kids. I mean, Raf hacked that satellite when it would have been impossible for anybody in his position to hack that satellite, and that doesn't bother you? If so, I am envious of your ability to do so.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Reask

Reask Predacon

Yep it was David Kaye who voiced Hardshell. I remember long, long before that episode debuted the news came in that he would voice a character in Prime. We were all so hyped and then, the preview for Toxicity came out. Granted it was nice to hear a Lugnut type voice again but we expected more for David Kaye than an Insecticon for only two episodes.

My expectations were too high, I was expecting David to voice an ancient golden Autobot guardian or an ancient golden Prime just something gold. I guess I was expecting The Last Autobot or a character related to the Thirteen Primes that the show was suddenly starting to reference, which made sense to expect that as this was called Transformers PRIME. XD

• Like Like x 2
  17. TwitchingFool0

TwitchingFool0 Hated by many, liked by few.

CAN'T STOP THE COLE TRAIN BABY!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I will also agree that the schedule in which Cap is watching it is certainly playing a part. The series is probably way more palatable to someone who can binge watch them. And hey, I'm happy for Cap! I'm glad he can have a more positive experience than the rest of us did.

Fun story from the RP regarding Fowler and Hardshell: Fowler was still loopy before Toxicity aired. I believe it was confirmed that Kaye would voice him a few days before the premiere. So one of Fowler's loopy rants on Formspring was "GUYS! DAVID KAYE! IS HARDSHELL! I AM SO LOOPY RIGHT NOW I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING!"

You probably had to be there to find it funny, I admit. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  19. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

You're right, I don't mind. This show was created as a medium of entertainment and it's primary audience would be kids that can relate and look up to the children on the show. I'm positive there were kids watching with stars in their eyes when this episode aired as they dreamed of being the kind of support Raf was. It's an awesome thing!

That's not to say your criticism is unjustified, in fact, we see the show in two completely different ways and I believe the reason your so stern in wording your distaste is because you're extremely passionate about the medium and feel like you've been let down from the quality that was delivered as opposed to the quality that was expected.

My time with Prime has two goals - to have fun and to discuss the show with others. Both of which I've find plenty of since starting.

Reading back on comments from users here (and even in my other blogs, which mentioned Prime!) you would think that Prime was literally just three seasons of a dumpster on fire. Thankfully, I was able to remain neutral in my thoughts despite that and found myself loving the characters and having good fun in the Transformers universe.

I'm used to the one off stories because of G1 and I'm used to some crazy shit that doesn't make sense thanks to Beast Machines. That doesn't mean there isn't time where I just laugh and shake my head - in fact, I've done just that to Raf in previous episodes - but it doesn't deteriorate my enjoyment of the show.

I understand why those things are in place. I understand that there are several factors that go into making a show of this scale and I understand that some things will come out differently that anticipated.

Because I don't hold such an expectation though, it allows me to be easier to please.

Take Star Wars for example. I have a very close friend who absolutely despises the prequel trilogy because he spend a large portion of his life waiting for Episode I (he is twice my age) and when it was announced he couldn't have been more excited. He went in with the expectations of "The Empire Strikes Back" and instead got "Poo-doo this, Poo-doo that" and he felt so betrayed and could not FATHOM the thought of little Anakin being Darth Vader. His thoughts and emotions are justified to him and no one can claim that he's wrong.

Then you have me, I was around 7 years old when Episode I hit theaters. I remember getting kids meals from Taco Bell that had Sebulba and Anakins podracers in them and I was so fucking hyped to see the movie. When I saw it, I was amazed. I connected with young Anakin and to this day adore that film with extremely high regard. I acknowledge it's flaws and see the problems but they just don't click with me the way they do with my friend.

Should Anakin have been able to blow up that Trade Confederation Station with only pod racing experience? Was the 'auto pilot' a loop hole or powerful plot device? Was Jar Jar Binks necessary? (Spoiler: I also love Jar Jar Binks).

As I got older, I could see my friends point of view in a light that is more agreeable. In fact, when they released Episode I in theaters for the 3D run back in 2013 or so, I was super stoked to see it and found myself getting bored and ready to leave around the half way point because his perspective had begun to fuse with my own.

Everyone has a different level of expectation, everyone has a different level of enjoyment and everyone has a different opinion on how things should and shouldn't play out.

If you haven't, check out my G1 blog for the first ten or twenty episode when I expected it to be exactly like the Bay Films. (Sideswipe is red!?!) It's a whole different world!

So no, Raf didn't bug me by hacking a satellite from his bed room. I was more bothered that Fowler was in his study group as a grown ass man. But neither of those things made me dislike the overall episode and as I said, if this is as bad as it gets, I'm in the clear for enjoying Transformers: Prime. :D 

COLE TRAIN RUNS ON WHOLE GRAIN BABY! WHOO!

• Like Like x 8
  20. Autobot Burnout

Damn, excellent post my good sir.

• Like Like x 3