Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I agree with you about the models, I imagine it was a budget issue as it usually is. Understandable but we can still hope.

That's a really cool bit of info, thank you for that. I'd almost forgotten about Depth Charge.

I'm pretty sure he said that 'he may never be the same', I don't think that's the same as saying he's handicapped for the rest of his life? The rehabilitation is a great follow up in my opinion.

Shockwave spoke in Dark of the Moon? That's my favorite Transformers film along with the G1 original and I've never noticed - or perhaps I did and just don't remember. Regardless, I was thankful he was voiced in Prime. Two mute Decepticons would have been a bummer.

I think G1 Shockwave is my favorite voice wise. I hadn't really considered that Airachnid was gone for good - I thought putting her 'on ice' was a way of saying 'we're putting her on hold for now'.

I should be getting to the next episode today. I have a few errands to run and it's my pups 16th birthday so that's a big deal - but I imagine I'll have some time to watch and if not, I'll catch up tomorrow. :) 

I remember reading the back of the case for Season One and seeing that The Rock was in the show but now I can't even remember if I recognized his voice... I'm sure I did since my wife was religiously watching Moana around the time I started this blog but still it's a little odd for them to tote him as an actor on the back of the box when he was around for five episodes ;) 

I didn't notice the difference.

I didn't. :) 

2. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Well, saying he spoke in English might be inaccurate. When he first appears, in Chernobyl, he says "Optimus" which could very well be OP's Cybertronian name. I should've said he only spoke one understandable word. The rest is the usual Cybertronian gibberish which, if you've also never noticed, he spouts to order the Driller to topple that skyscraper and when he yells, seemingly at Optimus, right after OP killed the Driller.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptainSlayer

You don't happen to have a clip of this scene on hand do you?

4. soundwaverulls

Chernobyl scene for him saying "Optimus".

He does so at 2:02.

Skyscraper scene for him spouting Cybertronian gibberish.

He commands the Driller at 3:17 and 3:46 and reacts to his death at 6:23.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CaptainSlayer

Ayyy, that's the Cole Train in the second video baby - WHOO!

That's crazy. I've seen this movie a dozen or more times and never noticed him saying Optimus' name. I've got to pay more attention.

6. soundwaverulls

Eh, Lindsay Ellis dedicated a whole video, in her YouTube series that analyzes these movies, that explores why it's so hard to remember stuff in these films. Here's a thread that they've been posted in. It's the third vid, if you wanna check it out. The thread comes with the bonus of heated fan arguments.

The Whole Plate: Transformers and Film Studies

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Well actually The Rock only voiced Cliff for one episode, the pilot. It was still one of the more shocking moments of recent franchise history that someone as pumped up as Cliff suddenly died. We probably should've seen it coming with his celebrity voice actor (though I'd say the Rock is way bigger now than he was back then).

Sorely tempted to talk about Bulkhead but I'll wait to talk about it a few episodes more.

8. CaptainSlayer

New Recruit

Nolan North is a voice actor I am very familiar with thanks to all of his video game work so it's safe to say that I enjoy Smokescreen. When they first arrived at the escape pod and he came running out to blast the Decepticons, he spoke so fast that I thought he was Blurr and got super excited for a second. I'm fairly certain Smokescreen was a character in G1 but I don't remember much about him except I think he was the one that actually used a smoke screen as his main ability, which, y'know, makes sense but I'm actually happy to have a new character I'm not familiar with rounding out the roster.

I'll be honest, I thought he was another Decepticon spy. This show has conditioned me to believe that no one is to be trusted and every Autobot that shows up is somehow working for the Decepticons. My suspicion kind of subsided as the episode went on but then hit full force once he was going after the phase shifter relic. A question about that part by the way, shouldn't he have phased through Starscream as well? I thought he was going to pull a Kitty Pride and drop the relic once his foot was inside Starscream causing him to solidify and kill him.

I'm still a fan of the Bulkhead rehabilitation arc and I'm hopeful that he makes a full recovery. I don't like seeing him so (reasonably) bummed out about 'being replaced' on the team. That's got to suck. Also, to see Miko so hype over a new face only adds fuel to the fire.

It was nice to see Jack again and if I'm not mistaken this is the first time all three kids have been together in an episode in quite some time.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. It's always nice to have a new character join the ranks and I like Smokescreen. The only things that bothered me was that Smokescreen clearly already had his alt mode armor on when arriving and the bit with the phase shifter.

Ok, well, those aren't the only parts. You guys know how you complain about Optimus Prime never really showing any emotion in this show? Well, bullshit. He smiles at the end of this episode and it was creepy as fuck.

Thanks for reading and see you all tomorrow for the next episode!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    He smiles the same way a learning computer would make a robot smile to appeal to the human beings. I.e., not a genuine sign of emotion, but a calculated expression done purely for superficial appeasement. So, no, I don't count it. :lol  ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  10. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

At long last Smokescreen has arrived to the team, and I'd say he's one of the best characters on the show. He's just so nice and happy all the time, and it was about time we got a full time member of the team. For the phase shifter it can either only go through one solid layer at a time or it can be set to go through as many as the user desires. (those are my theories anyway)

Yeah he was in G1 but was a nobody in the show except for one episode. It was The God gambit I think.

Seeing Bulkhead limp off at the end was heartbreaking.

So about that backstory I wanted to tell you. Originally Smokescreen was supposed to be part of the cast in season 1 instead of Cliffjumper. At the end of the season Megatron would've killed him, but clearly things changed and he got replaced with Cliffjumper who got the stabby treatment in the first episode.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The real bummer about this episode is that it shows that Cliffjumper could have been part of the cast all along, instead of a bait-and-switch sacrificial lamb. They only NOW introduce an Autobot to join Team Prime wholesale and we're already past the halfway point on S2 (Wheeljack doesn't count because he doesn't stick around).

Especially since Hasbro wise, Cliffjumper got two deluxes (the FE is excellent and the RID is decent but not as good) while it took FOREVER for Smokescreen to get even one.

And Arnie still beats him in that department because at least in T2, the Terminator trying to smile is a pretty damn funny moment.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    He was the compulsive gambler.

I actually agree whole-heartedly. Smokescreen is my favourite Autobot. He actually has a distinct voice, and more importantly brings much needed enthusiasm to the cast, even though he's basically Hot Rod in Smokescreen colours. He even looks like Hot Rod, but I've always liked Hot Rod, so it fits.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Autobots were pretty suspicious of him early on because they remember Makeshift.

Also did you catch the mention of Wheeljack? Ratchet basically says they're not on speaking terms after the "revenge stunt" with Miko. Eh.

Smokescreen was definitely a breath of fresh air when he arrived. But honestly the scene where Bulkhead limps out to show him how the war was going was pretty weak. Okay, he's heavily limping and barely moving. But the lack of even any cosmetic damage just... didn't sell it for me. If he had a gaping hole in his back, or serious scars, or something, I would've bought it.

Um, eh. I don't really have any other notes. Next episode is a big one because it was probably the most controversial of the entire show, and not for content or tone or anything, either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yeah, like I said, this show likes to try and cash in chips it hasn't won. The Bulkhead thing still sits with me bad. Especially since, as I'm sure Cap is realising, his injury is healing rapidly to the point where it won't even be a thing soon.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I responded as soon as I saw Cap updated so I didn't remember off the top of my head that was you the other day. I just knew I was riding the same beat as somebody! He doesn't even have to look positively terrible, he's been tended to by Ratchet for some time, but still.

16. CaptainSlayer

The Revenge Stunt didn't make much sense to me as I thought Wheeljack and Ratchet were closer now.

As for the Bulkhead bit, I disagree. It seemed sold enough to me - I don't seem to subscribe to detail as much as some of you do. I understand the financial woes of a project as large as this and while I understand your point of view, I don't feel the same. It didn't cross my mind that he needed to have bits missing.

Actually, I didn't. But I guess I do now. :|

To me it seemed like he was giving it everything he could but it still wasn't adding up to be enough for him to recover completely. But I guess I can toss that concern out the window.

17. Autobot Burnout

Remember how we kept calling Transformers Prime "Transformers: Status Quo" some time back?

It's because of stuff like that. Anything that even remotely changes the ability for Team Prime to be at 100% fighting capability immediately gets negated. The show loves to throw in bullshit like "oh Bulkhead suffered this horrible injury that might cripple him forever" except then it doesn't.

Works in reverse too - Arcee spends 1.5 seasons bitching about Airachnid and how she's going to get even, but the moment that chance arrives she doesn't, but instead shoves her into the most blatant 'she'll come back later' plot device in the show. Presumably so she can eventually break out and cause more trouble for Arcee in the future because Arcee never learns.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CaptainSlayer

The Human Factor

It seems like every episode M.E.C.H shows up in is a one-off scenario that is used only to remind us that a human enemy exists in the series. Well, I guess now I should say -did- exist because for some reason Silas found it appropriate to completely eradicate his loyal soldiers in favor of walking his frankenstien ass up to Megatron to try to sit at the cool kids table.

I'd like to be clear - I like the idea of M.E.C.H and I like the idea of a human being bound to a Transformer. Hypocritical considering my complete disdain for Headmasters but the idea strikes me as a captivating and interesting plot line that could lead to a lot of fun scenarios and I'm hopeful that MechDown didn't just get erased by a one-and-done when Knock Out dragged him away at the end of the episode.

The Hammer of Dawn made an appearance and that was cool but just like most M.E.C.H episodes it was torn apart by the end. At least it made for a pretty skybox effect as it burned up falling through the atmosphere.

Bulkhead getting back in action was a little bittersweet since I already knew he wasn't going to be down and out from some of the replies here. However, I didn't expect Smokescreen to come in hot with the assist to start a bond between the two of them which is something I'm happy to see.

I also like that Bulkhead has gone from feeling hopeless to letting his aggravation toward Smokescreen fuel his desire to heal since we last saw him. Instead of moping around and being bummed out he used those emotions toward the positive goal of getting better so he can prove that he's still the top Autobot brawler.

Today I learned that Rafael is actually Hispanic. I just always thought his parents were big TMNT fans or something. Apparently his mother sees no problem with a middle aged man being a part of his study group either but I guess we can save that conversation for another time.

Soundwave continues to impress and be the most badass Decepticon by saying absolutely nothing and letting his actions speak for him. My wife was with me during this showing and made the comment that "Soundwave is so *EXPLICIT*ing cool in this show. I don't even mind that he doesn't talk."

For those of you that have been with me through previous blogs, you'll know that she was around for Beast Wars (We were married just before blogging episode 42 "Changing of the Guard", which has wedding pictures of our Star Wars wedding!) and Beast Machines (she actually blogged the entry for Episode 6 "The Weak Component"!) but started to lose interest around Animated. So you'd know that she 100% prefers Decepticons to Autobots and she's usually a very tough person to impress and if she likes you more than Megatron, you've got something good going.

Now that I think about it I don't think this episode every followed through with Bumblebee, Optimus and Arcee storming the facility with Soundwave inside... I wonder if he just bridged out or something once the satellite was toast. I'd have loved to see him take the three of them on with his Doc Ock arms.

Either way, that's it for this weeks entries (unless I get bored over the weekend ;D)! I hope you've had a good time and I look forward to reading your thoughts below. As always, thanks for reading and I'll see you all Monday for the next episode!

• Like Like x 2
  19. soundwaverulls

I don't usually jump in just to talk about how much I hate a character in the show, but I'm a pretty big Soundwave fan, as you may have picked up on, from the subtle hints in my username and avatar. I really feel like this show wasted any potential this version of the character had. Most episodes, the dude just stands around, barely interacting with anyone and not doing anything. The show didn't know how to use mute characters and was too afraid to make him go on mission, as it'd result in him failing all the time, as this episode demonstrates. Finally, he shows up for a mission and gets his hacker ass handed to him by a god damned human child.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Autobot Burnout

Ah, this fucking shitshow of an episode. Worst episode of the whole series in my opinion and is where I finally decided Prime was simply never going to recover from its tailspin.

And it wasn't the strange glitch where when showing a map of the US, Louisiana is inside Texas and where it should be, there's a gap - this shows up in other episodes as well.

That is exactly what happened. M.E.C.H. pretty much no longer exists because Silas murdered them all. You can tell the show's own producers didn't care because the big-ass hole in their warehouse from Operation: Bumblebee was still there.

It basically was as effective as one of the not-actually-relics if you think about it, making this episode even less unique from the formula.

Which raises the question of why did they draw out that bullshit injury for so long when absolutely nothing came of it?

His last name pretty much gave that away.

You do realize that is the same bastard who can't defeat a knockoff Jimmy Neutron, right? He fails at his job every goddamn time Raf is pitted against him, unconditionally.

Not to mention, this is the biggest example of how fucking bullshit OP the kids are to the point of actually defying physical logic. Sure, Fowler is there with him, but in a sane world there isn't A GODDAMN CHANCE IN HELL Raf should have been able to do shit even without Soundwave's presence.

Namely, the Hammer of Dawn is for all intents and purposes, a government black project, and its control center a black site. What do back sites not have? INTERNET ACCESS TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD. Additionally, Raf only used an unmodified consumer grade laptop to get into something that was probably an insanely high level of security clearance, Fowler or not. ICBMs are far more well known than a kill sat, and those sites don't have internet access because if some kid could somehow remote-access them from a basic consumer computer, then far more skilled hackers would be able to launch ICBMs at their leisure.

But no, Raf manages to pull Goldeneye when a physical internet connection of any sort does not even exist and fuck over the Decepticons.

I dunno either, but despite failing again, Soundwave gets off without any blame, while Megatron makes THE STUPIDEST FUCKING DECISON OFF THE SHOW by sending SilasDown to be experimented on.

Because, y'know, that's totally a rational decision when Silas not only held up his end of the deal, but did his best to follow orders against greater odds, whereas Soundwave was less than fucking useless. And yet Megatron, being truly nothing more than a spoiled child who just had his latest toy break, sends him to what everybody assumed was his death (if it was or not I can't say because spoilers) FOR NO JUSTIFIABLE REASON.

This truly is dumb because all Silas wanted was to be part of the Decepticons, offering up a KILL SAT as a bargaining chip. And despite being ex-military and being permanently wired into a truck, Silas still got onto the black site. This is a man who knew endless things about human militaries, their tech, and moreso how human governments worked. He would have handed Megatron all of humanity and the Earth on a silver platter had he so much as asked, just to be considered part of the team.

Additionally, as an experienced military mind, Silas could have even been a viable canidate for second in command. Skilled, obviously loyal to the cause, and one of the bigger members even if it was a corpse suit, Megatron at the time was down TWO GUYS (Breakdown and Starscream) and by the numbers game alone accepting Silas would have not only brought back Breakdown, but giving him a tactical brain upgrade in the process.

And he wasn't killed when facing off against an Autobot, which is a hell of a lot more than you can say for most Decepticons.

But no, Megatron throws a fit and throws away THE MOST VALUABLE GODDAMN ASSET HE EVER HAS IN THE SHOW because SOUNDWAVE WAS RAF'S BITCH.

Truly, there is no part of this episode I find even remotely defensible past the "place at the table" line. All it does is glorify Raf's impossible computer 1337 skills over Soundwave despite that already being well established not too many episodes ago as a matter of fact, while simply tying up the MECH plot line by having NO FUCKING PAYOFF because Silas is thrown to the lions and thus becomes a waste of EVERYTHING that had lead up to Silasdown.

Oh, and as an aside, remember that Megatron only even entertained the idea of bringing on a 'human' to the Decepticons is because of Miko pressing the "FIRE MISSILES" button back in Hurt. Despite there being no way the insecticons who told this to Megatron having been able to know she, let alone a human whatsoever, had fired the missiles. Meaning it was stupid plot pointing to justify Megatron letting Silas in the ship in a later episode.

While at the same time, he never once acknowledges that Raf, who has completely screwed over the Decepticons twice - BY HIMSELF - at the Very Large Array and now here by defying the laws of reality by not needing an internet connection, is more capable than Soundwave who pretty much can fail at everything a Soundwave is supposed to do (you know, stuff with sounds and hack shit) and get away scott free.

And yes, Silasdown does hunt down Raf and try to take him out...when Soundwave turns into a stealth predator drone and could have just, y'know, missiled the damn place casually. All he had to do was turn the satellite off (so Raf couldn't hack it more), go bomb Raf's house a few times, then simply go into space (Laserbeak somehow managed to achieve escape velocity back in the Skyquake episode after all) and turn the satellite back on.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 4