Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Welcome to THE (third) MOST BULLSHIT EPISODE OF THE WHOLE SERIES.

As said before, remember what Ratchet says about Bulkhead's diagnosis.

But more to the point, everything this episode does is immediately ruined because of Miko. All because of how Hardshell dies.

She pressed A FUCKING BUTTON. BY ACCIDENT. THAT HAPPENED TO LAUNCH THE MISSILES.

And what does the Insecticon say to Megatron about how Hardshell died? "IT WAS A HUMAN." No it fucking wasn't! She gets the kill credit on a technicality but FOR FUCKS SAKE everybody acts amazed that a human can push a fucking button to fire missiles. The end result wouldn't have been any different had Wheeljack, whose entire purpose of being there WAS TO KILL HARDSHELL, had pushed the button himself.

The kicker? HOW THE FUCK DID ANY OF THE INSECTICONS EVEN KNOW MIKO PUSHED THE BUTTON?! There was NO point in the episode any of them ever knew Wheeljack had not come alone until that point (and even then an argument can be made about remote control ships), but even then it could have just been another Autobot in the ship instead of one of the three humans.

But no, the only thing the episode wants you to take away from this is that the ramifications of Miko pushing a fucking button by accident that happens to kill some random bastard is more alarming to the bad guys than Raf being able to outhack their communications officer one-on-one.

And don't think I'm blowing this out of the water, because the logic the show goes on with this is absolutely stupid. This is the plotline of ultimate idiocy I mentioned earlier that the Insecticons were tied to. Miko the all-powerful button pusher being an actual recognized threat over a fourth grader who can outhack the aliens at every turn.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette It's Joke!!

Flickr:
    "Hurt" as a episode doesn't really makes much sense for me. The fact that Bulkhead instantly become something to fill in the background after he fully recovered (Which doesn't make sense for me since Ratchet mentions that Bulkhead won't awake anymore) makes this episode even more insulting for me.

Removed comments summing up the entire series, wait until Slayer has seen every episode.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I'll say nothing more than the fact that I knew Bulkhead wouldn't die, and that I personally found Miko killing Hardshell to be a massive contrivance to try and "legitimize" her character due to fan backlash. Much like Raf's super knowledge the circumstances for her to off Hardshell coming to be felt like narrative gymnastics when her merely helping Wheeljack kill him would've felt more earned. And yet again, more dead 'Cons, even if he was just a glorified grunt, he was something at least.

• Like Like x 1
  4. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    A couple of posts deleted... come on folks, Slayer has always politely asked for you guys not to spoil future episodes and/or any info or details about the characters in the present or future.

HE WILL FIND OUT ON HIS OWN AND WHEN HE BRINGS IT INTO THE THREAD, THEN DISCUSS AWAY.

OTHERWISE, SHUT IT.... UNTIL HE OPENS THE DOOR.

Thanks much for your cooperation.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    This was a heavy episode for sure. Bulkhead's RP'er was worried they'd lose their character. I remember how sad it was to lose Airachnid, and their player was really disappointed. Again, my own experiences.

Probably my favorite part of the episode was when Hardshell got caught in his lie. He didn't see the body, but he was 90% sure Bulky was a goner. And I dunno, it was cool to see him suddenly so cowed by Megs. And also slightly weird, again, that David Kaye was playing someone subservient to Megatron. I also liked how Megs was more pissed that Hardshell lied about killing Bulkhead than losing any Energon mines big or small.

The Insecticon-Steve rivalry was something we all wish we could've gotten more of. Funnily, that scene where the Steve's talk shit behind Hardshell's back and get caught was used for a really funny Christmas commercial on the Hub.

Miko and the others driving back to base only to run into Ratchet frantically trying to revive the nearly dead Bulkhead was rather unsettling to me. I just felt bad for Miko in general. I know, I'm a simple minded bear of very little brain who's too sentimental. I can't help it! :lol 

And yes, I would've preferred it if Bulkhead had already died by the time they got back to base or something. That clip show in the preceding episode was waaaay too suggestive of a farewell to Bulkhead. But more on this in the episodes to come.

Other notes:

* Optimus is once again lazy as hell considering he doesn't lift a finger to try to stop Wheeljack.
    * Unfortunately, our Wheeljack had abandoned the RP by the time this episode aired. Eventually, I came to play Wheeljack, but not for quite some time.
    * Damn shame to lose Hardshell. The Decepticon lineup was actually kinda cool in this episode - Megs, Soundwave, Dreadwing, Knock Out, and Hardshell. Would've loved to have seen them work as a unit this season.
    * I once tweeted David Kaye happy birthday and thanked him for voicing Megs, Optimus, Lugnut, Grimlock, Cliffjumper, Hardshell, and Vehicon #TVC-15 - as a reference to the Steve he voiced in this episode who reported Wheeljack's message from Energon mine TVC-15, a reference to the David Bowie song. He laughed! :) 

For all its flaws, Hurt is in my top 10 episodes of the series. Between 6 and 10 for sure.

6. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Out of the Past

I actually watched this episode yesterday but when I got on to write this entry it seemed like TFW2005 and the TFWiki were both down for some reason.

At the end of the last episode, Wheeljack admitted that he didn't want to see Bulkhead in the state he was in. At that time, I took it as Wheeljack not wanting to see Bulkhead out cold but now it seems like he doesn't want to see the big green guy until he's fully operational. With them being such old friends, I thought for sure Jack would be there to see and help Bulkhead recover but instead Miko seems to be doing the heavy lifting - even if it is in a less than productive manner.

The flashback explaining how Arcee and Cliffjumper came to be partners and how they discovered Optimus Prime's location on Earth is a welcome one. The humor and sarcastic tone that Cliffjumper carries is a good counter to Arcee's (then) super serious all the time demeanor.

I remember when I first started Prime, I was very excited to see Cliffjumper in the main cast and was then crushed that he was offed so soon. This episode helps fill that void a bit though I do still wish we could have seen more from him.

Shockwave finally showed up. That was unexpected and a pleasant surprise. For the first few minutes he was on screen, I was worried they were making him a mute like Soundwave but thankfully they gave him a voice and even a proper explanation for why he was still on Cybertron after the war had left the planet. The look he gave Starscream as he almost called himself Megatron's second in command makes me think Shockwave is the proper holder of that title but abandoned his post to continue his work on Cybertron.

I also don't think he's dead. I'm not sure if he's on Cybertron still since we didn't see him when the kids went there and first met the Insecticons, but regardless of if he is or isn't, I expect him to make another appearance with an even better invention to counter the Autobots and aid the Decepticon cause.

The bonding between Arcee and Miko over similar situations is heartwarming. Miko is terrified to lose Bulkhead and Arcee has already lost two close partners, so she understands the fear and what comes after.

This also makes it so that Miko has spent time with all three of the guardian bots and not just Bulkhead. I like that they didn't keep each kid strictly with their original bot and I hope to see more mixing as we go further along.

The final scene hit me in the feels when the camera panned to Cliffjumper's grave marker - rest in peace, red guy.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    I really hate how they didn't bother altering the CG models for the Cybertron scenes. They could've taken the Earth mode kibble off of them or something.
    Shockwave is voiced by David Sobolov, who also voiced Depth Charge in Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

Remember when Ratchet outright said Bulkhead was going to be crippled even if he did survive in the end?

Funny how EVERYBODY FUCKING FORGOT THAT eh?

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Ha! I completely forgot about how silent he was, at first. This episode came out only a year after DOTM and I recall a lot of people were wondering if he was gonna be mute, like he sort of was in that film. Well, he spoke, but only did so once in English, so he might as well have been and both the tie-in game and novelization depicted him as plain mute, IIRC. I've never been certain whether or not TF Prime made it seem like he was mute on purpose, but it makes me laugh that it ended up that way, regardless of if it was intentional.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Ah yes this is perhaps my favorite and arguably the best voice Shockwave has had to date. It perfectly captures what Shockwave is supposed to be; a machine of logic. I don't want to make any assumptions, but I don't think he's a fan of Starscream. :lol 

It was nice to see Cliffjumper again even if it was in a flashback. It gives a refreshing dynamic that the main cast usually doesn't get.

Also good to note it's nice to see Arcee's character getting to breath again now that the whole Airachnid fiasco is iced.

Oh boy the next episode had something wonderful, and it's something the show needed. By the time you watch it I have some backstory to share with you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Out of the Past, I remember, was alright. A little flashback episode letting Miko breathe after last episode.

Cliffjumper's also got a new voice actor, Billy Brown, to replace The Rock.

Um... yeah about Bulkhead. It'll take a few episodes for what's happened to really play out and for you to see what's going on. I'll discuss it further once we get a few episodes down the line. But there's definitely a reason we gotta aim a fire extinguisher at Burnout right now!

Notes:

* This episode was actually an adaptation of a prequel comic released before the show with some details moved around. In the comics, Starscream was the main threat and Shockwave was absent.
    * This episode explains why Arcee is unwilling to undergo the cortical psychic patch back in Sick Mind - having it done to her forcibly in this episode.
    * A wink at Cliffjumper's ultimate fate when Starscream considered clawing him.
    * The animation in the last groundbridge scene was real pretty.
    * Wheeljack's absence in this episode will be addressed soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autobot Burnout

Fuck it I'm sigging this.

• Like Like x 5
  13. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

I'm pretty sure he said MAY never be the same again. But everybody FUCKING FORGOT ABOUT THAT eh?

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Then I must ask: what was the point?

Bulkhead's diagnosis goes from bleak, to "he'll survive but crippled" to "he'll survive but with a limp" to "he's totally fine it's like it never happened."

Why introduce such an event on a character if it doesn't amount to anything? They treat it with such gravitas, such importance, and it literally has no actual lasting effects. It doesn't really create an arch for Bulkhead. He doesn't change or grow as time goes on. In fact the show doesn't even really dwell on his reaction to it at all. It just goes to show how utterly directionless the show is when it introduces significant events that have no significance. And on top of that, it just feeds into the notion that the Autobots are all invulnerable and Decepticons exist only to die when we can't even have an Autobot suffer permanent injury. Not even a scar. They even try to pull some BS message to Smokescreen about how "war is hell" by showing him what the consequences of battle are. So I guess the idea was to show Smokescreen that there are no consequences?

Fun fact, much like nearly every new Decepticon, Shockwave was meant to die because the writers didn't know what to do with him. Luckily they changed their minds because he's, y'know, Shockwave.

I have to say though, I'm not a big fan of this version. His voice is bland, he's too much of a "slow lumbering badass" and his design is kind of at odds with itself. I also think his head just looks terrible with that gigantic eye and what looks like a cardboard helmet painted purple.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Autobot Burnout

Can't comment about it because that's spoilery but put it into persepctive:

When Cliffjumper died, they didn't exactly spend a whole lot of time mourning his loss did they? And the whole Zombie Cliffjumper thing got lumped into being general horror at Megatron trying to raise zombies.

When Breakdown died, nobody really gave a shit. Dreadwing gave more of a damn about his brother the one-shot wonder dying in comparison.

Bulkhead ALMOST dies? Grab your pitchforks and torches, it's time to go raise hell! Unless your Arcee, as noted by how little she reacted (if at all, don't remember) to one of her comrades nearly dying as compared to her going completely PSYCHO anytime Cliffjumper or Tailgate get mentioned. Because somehow being on the same team does not equate to being partners.

And the other thing that SPLIT put behind spoilers, which is the bigger thing.

The exception being Airachnid because fuck that bitch the writers didn't have the balls to kill, even after god knows how long of having Arcee pretty much declare intentions to go Montoya "You killed my parents partner" only to give her the golden opportunity and she doesn't fucking kill her.

I think the Prime design suffered from simply being based on the Movie Shockwave design, which worked for the movie version being a lumbering monster who rode a giant mechanical tubeworm everywhere but the body just doesn't fit the purpose in Prime really.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    This is pretty much the crux of it. Bulkhead's injury is treated as special when it isn't. At all. The show constantly tries to, IMO, cash-in sympathy points it has never earned when it comes to its characters.

I also think, keeping in mind the character was meant to be a one-shot, the design simply did not recieve the attention and detail normal cast members did. If you look closely you can even make out reused geometry from Ratchet, Megatron, the Vehicons, and others, albeit significantly tweaked or "buried" under new parts so as not to be obvious. But it also explains why his head and chest, the two parts that had to be all-new, are noticably simpler and more crudely modeled in flat polygons than the rest of his curved body panels. Even his arm cannon I swear is a blown-up gun from someone else with like a giant knee pad or shoulder plate attached to it. It's just sort of an unfortunate situation.

17. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    This Shockwave was just... eh. Pretty meh. Like he had some - well, it's kinda spoilery but not my favorite Shockwave. Though I dislike his High Moon iteration more.

I'm honored!!! :D 

You know back on the RP, our Shockwave was barely ever around but when he was, he always had a good roast for Starscream. Once he got some spam question and responded "this question is so irrelevant and useless that it should have gone to Starscream."

Starscream responded with a big "EXCUSE YOU!" :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Autobot Burnout

Well it is special - when was the last time an Autobot even showed signs of getting injured to any degree that wasn't blatantly superficial?

And as a side note, I never noticed the huge amount of asset recyling when it came to Shockwave, but goddamn how much of a budget did this show get again? Because I've always wondered if this show was essentially a giant cartoon Heaven's Gate - some truly awesome, beautiful shots, but otherwise a giant money hole in terms of what was seen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I hate High Moon Shockwave. Especially his voice. Not that Steve Blum isn't an incredibly talented voice actor, but you can't just do drunk Spike Speigel with an accent and call it "intelligent."

I miss Corey Burton Shockwave so much. I wish he'd come back.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Blum is so talented and amazing that it's frustrating as hell that they gave him nothing to work with. I recall Blum saying somewhere that he kinda bum rushed his recording for his FOC characters, and despite loving FOC I won't deny they gave him just.. nothing. Swindle was a generic dude, Shockwave was a bore. Sharpshot at least was more.. well, something than the others.

And yes. If I made a Transformers show I would have Corey Burton Shockwave no ifs ands or buts, provided Corey is up for it. Remember that the guy really takes his roles and choices seriously. I heard at D23 it even takes some arm twisting sometimes to get him to reprise his Haunted Mansion characters at the Disney Parks.