Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I think, and I'm not certain, but it's because all these episodes take palce at the same time. So continuity at the base "restarts" each time as we see each perspective. I don't know how well done it is, but that's the intention.

This is somewhat of a precursor to events. Yes, he avoided the surgery because it was going to be painful, which is funny, but it's also a sign that the staunchly self-loyal Starscream from the end of Partners is gradually melting away. His whole season 1 arc of self-discovering and growing a backbone enough to strike out on his own is... well...

In one of the cartoons you didn't watch, Cybertron, Starscream likewise (to no shock at all) betrayed Megatron and struck out on his own. And there was one scene in particular where, feuled by his lust for power and bottomless well of ambition, took on all of the Autobots (of which there were many, each a formidable fighter on their own) and cut a path through them to get to the series MacGuffin that would grant him the power he craved. He was beaten to hell but still just bum-rushed them like a madman, even losing one of his built-in weapons (a rare moment of visual battle damage in that show) and covered in damage by the end. But he did it, and while that Starscream was far and away more powerful than this one, I've firmly held that a Starscream is not judged by their physical strength, but they're all-consuming drive to succeed. When Prime Starscream made his decree in Partners of going it alone, despite how frail and physically unremarkable he was, I was excited. We've never seen such a weak Starscream before, let alone one with such high aspirations, and I thought it was a brilliant and bold move to humanize him so much whilst keeping his ambition intact. I was sure it was going to be something special.

:oops: 

I also really liked Dreadwing. He was the only 'Con I actually got the toy of besides the main three from Darkness Rising. He does have honour, but much like Dinobot fromearly in BW, it's not heroic honour so much as a personal mantra. It's a breath of fresh air from all the one-dimensional Decepticons this show otherwise offers.

Indeed you're right!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Did you get the Cyberverse Dreadwing? The arms were a little wonky in jet mode, but man, what a glorious little toy nonetheless. In robot mode he looks like he walked right out of the show.

3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

"Bayformer Fan Watches Cybertron" was actually coming after Beast Machines before I called it quits. I have no plans to blog it but it almost happened.

;) 

Thank you for the insight!

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I did, and I love the little bugger. I actually liked Cyberverse more than the RID-Prime toyline for the most part.

Realistically you're not missing much. It is exceedingly average. The plot is meh, the characters are standard, and the visuals don't really hold up. The character designs are pretty sick, however. But it did pretty much elevate Starscream to Megatron's equal rival, something few series accomplish. (or even attempt) It is, however, far more entertaining than the dull-as-dishwater Japanese original dub, Galaxy Force.

5. CaptainSlayer

Triage

A Ratchet and Wheeljack buddy-cop episode is a match made in heaven for this Bayformer fan and I'm proud to announce that the hype lived up to the expectation.

The two characters who are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum melded about as well as you'd expect them too and the tension between them wasn't pressed too hard to become uncomfortable or frustrating.

Ratchet spends his time yelling at Wheeljack to do the opposite of what he's doing while the Wheeljack just goes with his own instincts which as a former wrecker is to kill anything con related, an admirable goal for an Autobot.

The plot point of planting a bomb and virus inside of Laserbeak is something I didn't expect and I'll admit I'm surprised Soundwave left the little guy alone for so long. The whole Raf coding the virus just reminded me of the Jurassic Park "I'm a hacker!" line again but the shoe fit.

I'm a little confused by the relic they were after in this episode, it seemed to be the same type of weapon Spongebob and Patrick use on themselves leaving them dumbfounded while Manray runs around freely.

However, since it was pointed out that all of these episodes are running simultaneously I find myself enjoying the story a bit more. Having Knock Out show up at the end of the episode all scuffed up and whining fit in fairly well and I didn't expect to see a possibly dead Bulkhead fly in through the ground bridge at the end either.

All in all, this was a fun episode and the dog fight scene was awesome - I don't know if I've seen one in Transformers before period but if I have, this one proved to be more memorable.

I'm excited to see what comes next and am hopeful that the next relic will be something worth dying for.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The episode for me was enjoyable...if not for the caveat that Raf is impossibly good at reverse-hacking Soundwave. Laserbeak in this continuity is implied to be nothing more than a remote drone controlled by Soundwave, meaning it's up to him to maintain the little bastard, but Raf just gets an insanely free pass here. Nevermind the fact that Raf being smart as he is has no business in public school if he's able to understand R2D2 speak from Bumblebee and understand incomprehensibly more advanced alien technology that took MECH several bodies to even understand how to duplicate Prime, the entire episode essentially boiled down to being a distraction to give the human plot device some amount of time to plant a virus inside Laserbeak such that Soundwave never notices that his chest is now a trojan horse.

It's the fact that some kid in grade school is better than fucking Soundwave at doing Soundwave's job that really doesn't make any sense. Chip Chase is the closest comparable character in Tansformers franchise history and Soundwave still got the better of him through robo-telepathy. But not Raf. Raf is inexplicably, unrealistically, smarter than maybe nuclear scientists with multiple PHds. Oh, and believe it or not...this isn't the limit of bullshit Raf pulls off by the end of the show.

As for the 'relic' - it's a sound gun. That's it. When I say that the majority of the relics shouldn't be called 'relics' when compared to say, the Forge of Solus Prime, I mean it - the majority of it is all junk from the war that was stolen from the Decepticon R&D department. I love the comparison to the 'Orb of Stupidity' though - the Manray episode is one of my favorite Spongebob episodes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yeah, Raf being such a genius is stupid. He'd be far more endearing if his abilities were more within reason, and he merely helped or came up with clever ideas versus implementing everything without fail, but it's just annoying how he can solve every technical problem just like that. There's nothing impressive about bad writing like that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

The real star of that episode was Soundwave. It's cool to see how he fights. He's more about defense, counterattacks, and using his opponent's strategies against them. I especially like when he mocks Springer- um I mean Wheeljack when he grabs his sword. It's a refreshing change to see him show off some personality. It should be noted how Megatron treats Soundwave as the only follower that holds any sort of value to him.

The friendship between Wheeljack and Ratchet was something I never knew I wanted.

Poor Knockout having to dispose of a bomb while Megatron just blows him off. Megatron's reaction when Knockout blew up the bomb in the background was just priceless, definitely a favorite moment of mine.

Next episode is certainly an interesting one. Want to know the worst part about it? After it aired we were on a hiatus for a couple of months.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Triage was fun enough. Ratchet's terrified cries at the beginning as Wheeljack headed for that cliff were hysterical. I used that as a reaction to something on the Formspring RP once and it got the most likes ever on my page. :lol 

Wheeljack vs Soundwave was more interesting than most fights on the show, largely because Soundwave definitely seemed to have more technique than other characters. I loved the way at the beginning of the fight how he almost slides in place to dodge blows before striking. And Wheeljack managing to put up a good fight was awesome since Soundwave up to this point (well, we'd only seen him "fight" Airachnid) was nigh invincible.

And yeah Raf doing everything this episode was lame.

Other notes:

* One thing I'll give TFP Megs is that I love when he royally doesn't give a shit about his troops, like this episode where he barely acknowledges poor Knock Out and the grenade going off. Just... :lol  especially since it was also some form of punishment for losing his relic.
    * That scene where Soundwave nearly finds Ratchet was a bit spooky.
    * This was also the first episode to properly name Laserbeak.
    * Love the sunset during Wheeljack and Soundwave's fight.

Yeah, they really did good on Cyberverse for sure. Even the ones that were out of scale like Starscream and Breakdown were still good toys overall. I lost Dreadwing's sword and gun thing though :( 

• Like Like x 1
  10. CaptainSlayer

Toxicity

I can't believe Agent Fowler said "I can haz cheeseburger!" while knocked out, nor can I cope with the cringe it brought with it. After this line, I flipped the case over and was suddenly reminded that this show was airing in 2012... *shutters*

But let's (QUICKLY) move beyond that. This is the fourth episode based on relics and after having it all rounded out I have to admit that I'm actually a fan of the simultaneous viewpoints that ran alongside one another these past few episodes.

This episode in particular had a few things I wasn't a fan of and the main one was that the relationship building between Bulkhead and Fowler felt very forced and fast. I understand that Fowler was an army ranger and that Bulkhead was a wrecker, giving them some sort of common ground but that's not what bothered me. What got to me was how much they ragged on one another, they were bro-bickering and picking on each other while playing it off as if it's been something they've had going for ages but I can't remember a single other instance of this occurring in the show. It felt unnatural and it had me wishing that part would hurry up and get over with.

On the opposite end of the spectrum however, this episode did a fantastic job of reminding us about the importance of the Miko/Bulkhead relationship. Now this relationship has had it's fair amount of build up and I recall mentioning back in Season One that their dynamic was my favorite out of the trio of guardians and kids. The mini-'clip show' segment made me feel all warm and fuzzy and I was rooting for Bulkhead to pull it together for Miko, so mission accomplished on that end.

In this episode we also -kind of- got a new Decepticon, Hardshell. First impression, I like the scratched up insecticon though I do wish he was more than just a slight recolor of all the others with a few slashes across his paint.

I find it odd that Megatron opted to send a small task force of four Insecticons to reclaim the 'relic' when he could have just as easily dispersed the entire swarm since all the other artifacts already had teams going after them. Maybe it was to focus more on character development for our new Terminator-esque friend but it still doesn't make much since from the show's perspective.

I'm also a little upset that this episode ended on a cliffhanger again. See, when I can't remember the title of an episode I just watched I usually go to google and punch in "List of Transformers: Prime Episodes" and very carefully scroll down the wikipedia page until I find it. The downside to this is, any time a character dies or makes their debut, the wikipedia page puts it in BIG bold letters. Because of this, I usually have some form of expectation for the next episode since I often times see this bold text our of my peripheral vision.

For example, I was terrified that Bulkhead was going to die today. I'd forgotten the title for Triage and when I googled it I was a big bold D on the wiki page and a short amount of text so I quickly diverted my eyes and came back here to do my entry.

Thankfully, I was wrong. It was "DEBUTS: Hardshell" (I think, I haven't gone back) and so there was no harm, no foul. But the episode still ended on the exact same cliffhanger as the last and I'm just thankful that I was able to remember today's episode title to avoid a similar scenario... Thank you System of a Down.

Apart from that, I did notice one little mix up between Monday and today's episode and that's when Ratchet came through to talk to Rafael in Triage, Fowler didn't say anything until he yelled at Raf to open the ground bridge to let Bulkhead back through where as in today's episode it was shown that Fowler shouted at those two to be quiet before commanding the bridge to be opened. A small mix-up but big enough to notice. But hey, as long as he doesn't say stupid cringy rage comic/meme bullshit in the future I'm willing to let it slide.

Oh and I almost forgot. I know I said that my biggest complaint was the forced relationship between Bulk and Fowler but I also wasn't a fan of today's 'relic' at all. That stuff was dumb. We ended up getting a Transformers version of Lord of the Rings while Bulkhead carried this disgusting looking stuff up to a volcano which for some reason didn't phase him as much as it did all the Insecticons who were bigger than him... I don't know, it didn't feel like a relic to me. A bio-weapon or toxic waste maybe but a relic? Nah. What was the urn the relic? The urn of hold-this-bad-stuff? Definitely my least favorite of the lot.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to seeing your thoughts in the replies. :) 

• Like Like x 5
  11. Autobot Burnout

Agreed, it was actually a neat concept, despite being find-the-thing again.

We'll see how much you like the relationship in the upcoming episodes...
    Unaccredited voice cameo by Tom Kenny!

Your daily reminder that Megatron is basically Evil George B. McClellan. Likes having a bright, shiny army and is so consistently paranoid about losing ANY of it that he constantly wants more while dispatching as little of it as possible.

Not just any cliffhanger - the exact same cliffhanger from the previous episode.

And that is another example of the show having to pad itself out to even suggest the Autobots are at a disadvantage for more than half an episode. You do not just pose a question and then leave that question unanswered for an entire episode.

Also, do keep in mind the exact wording Ratchet uses in the next episode. You'll see why eventually.
    Yep, this week the relic was nothing but a bucket of poison. Another example of how the relics really aren't relics but just old war technology stolen from the Decepticons. Tox-en in particular for whatever reason I recall as being described as having been created by Megatron, but it's been so long since I've seen the episode I don't know if that's actually said in it or if I'm just remembering something incorrectly.

12. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Oh Toxicity, that episode where everyone thought that Bulkhead is going to die, I going to leave the rest up to you.

Well I remember David Kaye voiced Hardshell, but never heard Tom Kenny voice a uncredited cameo in Prime.

13. Autobot Burnout

Was it Kaye? I know it was an Animated actor who was Hardshell, so it could have been Kaye.

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I'm going to dance around the elephant in the room named Bulkhead because of spoilers.

Yes, that was a noticeable error with Fowler yelling. Now you know who he was yelling at to dump the rock and come home back in Tunnel Vision.

Hardshell is voiced by guest star David Kaye, voice of Beast and Unicron Trilogy Megatron, Animated Optimus, and many more! Even though he's played other Decepticons subservient to Megatron, it still felt odd to hear David Kaye as a Decepticon taking orders from someone else. I dunno. Just me I guess.

I must bring up my time on Formspring again, because we all were good friends on there. So yeah in a non Formspring context, Bulkhead and Fowler's bromance kinda comes a little forced. But up to this point they were still rather frienemies. Remember how Bulk didn't even care to save him in the pilot? But anyway, on formspring the players of Fowler and Bulkhead were particularly close friends so I was more emotional than others watching that really play out on TV.

What else?

* Well, volcanoes are always cool.
    * Kinda grisly that we got the Transformer equivalent of Kryptonite and according to TF Wiki mustard gas.
    * Felt kinda cathartic as Bulkhead lugged towards the end, just like we were lugging towards the end of this month long relic arc.
    * This episode raised one of the biggest talking points about Prime, but we can't discuss it just yet because of spoilers. Hell we'll have to wait about three episodes to really discuss it in full.

15. Autobot Burnout

Or, as was pointed out, several months between this last episode and the next when originally aired.

I'm sure that made things in the RP really interesting.

16. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yes. Add in the complete radio silence in those several months and man it was a bitch.

Hmm, honestly I don't have the greatest memory of what we did in the wake of this episode's ending. We didn't have a general agreement, but Bulkhead's player was definitely silent that entire summer (they played other characters on the RP, as it was characters from all over the multiverse. They most notably also played Bay Starscream resurrected in an obviously non canon continuation of Bayverse).

It's hard to explain, but we kinda put a pause on the continuity of the RP and kinda went off and did our own thing that summer. Ratchet (me) wasn't frozen in time. Again, weird, but we were never going to be perfectly canon!

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Ugh, Fowler saying silly things is the lamest joke in the entire show. There's no wit or actual humour to it, it's just "lul randem."

And "I can haz cheeseburger" was cringey even back in 2012. I'm also not a fan of "I needed that!" Because of how mercilessly it was run into the ground. Prime has a terrible sense of humour, constantly overdoing its jokes and dwelling on them for too long.

That's the stupidest thing ever. Which Wiki does this, and what is even the point of it?

Ho-ho-hoh boy...

Prime Megatron is an idiot. That's just all there is to it. And he has to be, because the Decepticons are at such a stupidly extreme advantage that they have to be utterly incompetent so they don't just obliterate the Autobots at every opportunity. But the show can't actually make them seem incompetent, because it wants everything to be super-awesome and self-indulgent and "epic" so they're just terribly, terribly managed and make the worst possible decisions so the Autobots can always coast by without any setbacks or losses.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, cheeseburger was already dead by 2012. Ugh. That time he referenced Twilight Zone was funny, though, I admit. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  19. CaptainSlayer

Hurt

This is how Transformers is supposed to be done.

Emotion, energy, action and a captivating story. I wasn't sure what to expect when I booted up 'Hurt' but it was without a doubt, my favorite episode of Transformers: Prime this far.

In the back of my head, I knew Bulkhead wouldn't die. I contribute this primarily to the fact of expectations that have been laid out before me, something I dismissed as @moreprimeland called them but has proven to be a factor.

With that being said, my mind absolutely betrayed me when Wheeljack and Miko were becoming friends on his ship. I thought that the writers were in the process of introducing Wheeljack as the new official fifth member of the team and replacing Bulkhead with another wrecker - a decision that I would have supported despite the fact that I would miss Bulkhead.

Miko is often annoying. I'm not a fan of her 'I can fight giant robots too' attitude and I sighed when it showed up this time but her emotion towards Bulkhead invoked a frown and sore feelings and when she launched those rockets at Hardshell I got a lesson in not underestimating any character.

The fight scene between Hardshell and Wheeljack was awesome. The spinning drill attack Wheeljack pulled with his swords is one of the coolest moves I've seen in Transformers media and when Jack went down I half-expected him to be the one passing and that the tables had been turned.

With that said, I'm thankful that Bulkhead didn't die. I love the character and while I acknowledge that his death could have played a significant role in developing character for Miko and Wheeljack, I selfishly stand by the decision to keep him alive - even if it's in a lesser role.

Also, Hardshell and the Insecticons scream like startled horses and really remind me of Terrosaur.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Well said. Hardshell met a violent end, and the surprise on Megatron's face when he learns who did is one of my favorite moments. Believe it or not you may actually like Miko from this point on. She starts earning her keep. While most of us would've rather had Bulkhead get offed to add more weight to the story we did at least get a strong friendship developed between Miko and Wheeljack.

Poor Knockout is like the Waspinator of this show, but instead of getting killed he gets smacked around.

It was an interesting concept to see a bitterness between the Insecticons and Vehicons. Too bad it never really got explored.

All in all a solid episode with great action in suspense. Even though I was eagerly awaiting this episode it's the next one that has me on the edge of my seat.

• Like Like x 1