Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    If I could show it to you, I would bro. Sadly Formspring is pretty much gone today (in a "the website and old stuff was pretty much deleted" way). TFP season two was in a lot of ways our heyday, especially around the time the relic arc aired. Hell, you would've liked our Airachnid, as the person who played them played such a glorious, deadpan bitch who was infinitely more likable than the show Airachnid.

Yeah, I feel you. I remember someone speculating that there would be an arc where Miko had to go home (either permanently or temporarily) and Bulkhead would cope with her absence. Shame we never got anything like that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Well, since we're sharing theories, here's what my personal theory was that would have changed EVERYTHING:
    Soundwave was the true villain all along - and he was really nothing more than a sentient supervirus. He appears next to Megatron with a very brief mention by Ratchet as having been by Megatron's side from the beginning but we never go into detail about who Soundwave WAS before that point. He's the only one super concerned with Megatron's well being both in Darkness Rising (when forcing Starscream to open the spacebridge) and sends Laserbeak to ensure Starscream doesn't try anything funny in recovering Megatron's comatose form later. He's the only one still loyal to Megatron, essentially, when Airachnid tries to take over the ship (and hands her ass to her without even trying honestly). He's the only one besides Pax who can decode the archives...aside from that formless consciousness on the ship. And most tellingly, he's the only one Megatron never lifts a hand against despite, well, every single decision Megatron makes being the completely wrong one.

But my theory was that Soundwave was actually controlling Megatron from the very start as merely a figurehead, utilizing Megatron's power and past social standing to manipulate the masses into an uprising. It was he who twisted Megatron so radically that in the blink of an eye, he went from a reasonable representative of the impoverished to a power hungry despot in front of the council/senate/whatever. And this is all so when Megatron does the stupid shit, nobody questions Megatron or else they'll get struck down by him - all the while Soundwave, the true puppet master, hides in plain sight. But he needed Megatron to go away for some reason for about three years and then had to work to restore him at a later time to keep up the appearances as Starscream proved too competent to control in turn. It also subtly influences how strong Megatron is - like a subconscious block that actually makes Megatron weaker if Soundwave so chose, I.E. against the Insecticons for some reason.

Sadly as you probably know if you're reading this spoiler, Soundwave did not turn out to be the second coming of the Master Control Program and kinda went out like a wuss thanks to the kids.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Yes! I remember this theory and I always thought it was genius and terrifying. I would've LOVED to have seen this go down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

I live in very rural South Carolina. The biggest city I've ever been to is Rochester, NY when I helped my wife's mother move there earlier this year. I've driven through Atlanta and seen some concerts in Charlotte but I've never really been in a city. The only 'subway' I've ever been on was the one at Washington DC's international airport on the way home from the Rochester trip.

I had absolutely no idea the tunnels were that small and disgusting!

... Actually, come to think of it. My experience with rails is pretty bad. When we were going to board the shuttle thing to head to our gate I was teasing my wife who is super afraid of escalators to watch her shoelaces or she'll end up like George Jetson but then I followed up by saying "Just kidding, that doesn't happen" and a whopping two seconds later my shoe lace got caught in the damn escalator... I had to cut it off with a house key. As far as I know, my shoe lace is still at the DC airport...

Otherwise, it was a rad place. It was awesome seeing so many different cultures in one place. It made me realize how small my world really is out here...

But I digress, I never would have noticed the tunnels were properly sized if you hadn't shown me. That's an awesome comparison, thank you!

Woah, I had no idea that he did Leadfoot or Crosshairs. I absolutely love Leadfoot in the films. I think Crosshairs is a whiny brat in them and really don't care for him - but I do LOVE his design. The trench coat is awesome.

I have such an odd relationship with Starscream. I originally only knew the name and what he was from because I was a big Slipknot fan in my middle/high school days (I still love them) and their DJ goes by "DJ Starscream". I thought it was an awesome name and even changed my gamertag on XBOX to RGC x Starscream for a whole two days in 2009. Ironically, I hated the G1 character. His voice was like nails on a chalkboard. Didn't mind him in the bay films, loved him in Animated just because he was Tom Kenny and love him in Prime because of his brutality.

It reminds me of General Grievous' body guards.

See below.

This is what I heard as well. Though even still, wouldn't "... and operate with a surgeon's precision!" have been a better line?

Vogel was the one redeeming feature about this episode I think. I was insanely disappointed about the city being so dull and bland. Your final line also reminded me, wasn't Fowler all messed up earlier in the episode and still under medical supervision but then ended up being fine to take the call? Maybe I've got two episodes mixing together or something.

As for the Miko bit, I thought that was really forced in. There was no reason to believe that was a cause for her actions previously. She just seemed rebellious and adventurous. I didn't care much for it. In fact, I felt like the only purpose that scene really served was to make Jack seem MORE like a leader/prime with how well he handled the revelation.

Thank you for your input, MPL! I'm immune to negativity. *flexes and stuff*

As I said in a prior post, this blog has absolutely had the most negative reactions out of the shows I've done. Which is surprising considering how many were there for Beast Machines!

All I ask is everyone keep foreshadowing and spoilers to themselves. If I get disappointed, I get disappointed but so far I think Prime has been a very enjoyable ride with a few speed bumps we hit while going 80 MPH.

Lastly, no one has anything to say about the messed up mouth syncing I mentioned!? How am I alone on this!? :rip 

5. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I can't say I noticed the mouth moving, but there's an extremely bad error in which one character's mouth moves way too fast next season. :lol  just you wait!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    The thing about the New York Subway is that most of it either dates back a near century, requires the trains to cross under a river or two, or both. The tunnels are small and cramped, barely enough to really even get the train itself through, because of the sheer weight load being put on said tunnels being underneath a sprawling metropolis like New York as well as giant bodies of water.

But even Arcee should not be able to fit in there even if she crawled on her knees the entire time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Oh, I noticed it, too. But I try not to harp on cartoons for errors like that. Animation deadlines, glitches, all that. I mean if it happened a lot that'd be one thing, but the show otherwise manages a very high quality CGI it's kinda nitpicky.

Now plot and narrative issues on the other hand...

• Like Like x 4
  8. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Yeah. The hood is pretty well kept. Under the hood? Now there's something to go after! I can't deny the show's CGI is pretty as hell. We get some really gorgeous lighting in particular towards the end of this season.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptainSlayer

Dammit. I forgot to do my entry today. I'm sorry everyone. I came home, put in a Rocko's Modern Life DVD, fell asleep and then played Destiny all day...

:|

• Like Like x 1
  10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:

:D  I know you've survived G1 and BW, but Prime has been a sore spot for a few here. Just wanted to make sure you get to enjoy..or not... on your own and in your own time. Certainly know you're Teflon with some comments but just don't like to see too many negative opinions b4 you get your chance to complete the series... then brag, rag or rage about it all you want... well, within reason naturally.... :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I don't remember the 'Rocko's Modern Life' episode of Prime...

...I DEMAND YOU ELABORATE.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Maybe it was the one where Heff went to Heck. He must've watched One Shall Rise again when they went into Unicron. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  13. CaptainSlayer

Triangulation

Am I crazy or has the continuity with Agent Fowler been screwed up these past two or three episodes? I'm almost positive that the guy was out cold when they sent the kids to New York and yet he woke up to talk to the subway worker but then he was out cold again with this episode only to wake up and make some calls to the military base. I'm not imagining things am I?

If I had a list of things I never thought I'd see in Transformers, I wouldn't have even thought to write Starscream riding a hoveround through the Antarctic. The guy gave up the option to put a new T-cog in himself in favor of racing to the Iacon relic at a blistering 6 MPH.

Dreadwing is quickly becoming my favorite Decepticon character in the show. I'm a big fan of his sense of honor and I love how efficient he is at what he does. Most of his failures are completely out of his hands and I believe it's this reason that Megatron hasn't sought to eliminate him from his position (at minimum). Seeing Optimus Prime and him team up to battle Hulkbuster Starscream was exciting and fun. I like that the writers decided to give Scream a completely different tool kit instead of relying on his T-Cog getting replaced and I'm excited to see where it goes.

It also seems like now we're getting a look at Optimus being a bit more brutal in his leadership. His complete disregard to Starscream's attempts to weasel his way onto his good side while holding him at gun point was both satisfying and frustrating... I think I secretly want Starscream to win this war.

Today's episode is a big step up from the last one. I don't have any complaints except for the Fowler continuity.

Judging by the conversation Optimus Prime and Ratchet had at the base of operations, I expect tomorrow's episode to focus on Ratchet and Wheeljack which is something I'm very excited for!

Thanks for reading, I look forward to seeing all of your replies and I hope you have an easy Sunday!

• Like Like x 7
  14. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    No, it sounds like that was a production gaffe.
    He was averting needing to perform an organ donation (from himself) which would have been painful.

Oh how this is going to be proven completely wrong when Silasdown fails...for no fault of his own.

Absolutely nowhere.

In a way, Starscream sorta does...though until RID we all thought he died at the end.

Besides Raf being incomprehensibly bullshit-tier godlike at hacking an alien to the point he doesn't even know there's a VIRUS CARRIER in his chest? Sure.

Sorry so many spoiler tags had to be thrown up, but we're getting close to some critical plot episodes that are gamechanging for one reason or another and it's hard to describe what's going on without revealing what's coming up.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Don't worry about Fowler. His appearances will be explained within the next few episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Actually no the Fowler stuff wasn't a production gaffe. Tunnel Vision, Triangulation, and the next two episodes all run simultaneously. You could watch the four episodes in any particular order, though the last of the four episodes is still the one that ties everything together.

I'm a sucker for cold landscapes at night so I enjoyed the locale of this episode. There's always been something poetic and beautiful to me especially about Antarctica, being, as Megs put it, the very bottom of the world. It's like space, the final frontier, but on Earth. And hey, they have an excuse to make it empty as hell! :lol  though I'm sure Starscream encountering a flock of curious penguins would've been funny. Also, that last shot of the southern lights was gorgeous!

Optimus royally not giving a shit about Starscream this episode was actually rather amusing. I enjoyed their conversation during their walk together, with Optimus shutting down all of Starscream's attempts to bargain and bond with him. And Starscream remains ever the opportunist, betraying whoever suits him at a given time.

Other notes:

* Does anybody really blame Starscream for postponing his procedure? :lol 
    * Optimus' standoff with Dreadwing was... really boring. All they did was stare at each other until it got annoying.
    * I enjoyed that this episode was so small in scale, focusing on only two characters (God forbid Optimus have any development but we got an iota of personality when he doesn't give a damn about Screamer)

I think the next episode is my favorite of the relic Hunt arc.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I forgot Tunnel vision was the first of the four simultaneous episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

Starscream riding that little hover sled was just glorious! Not quite what he was hoping for when he struck out on his own.

• Like Like x 6
  19. CaptainSlayer

A: You must love Prime then, they love using the arctic. ;) 

B: Disagree! I loved the tension there. It reminded me of a western duel.

C: Agree! I seem to enjoy the episodes with a smaller cast more than those with a larger cast.

Right? Was he going to strap the relic to the back and putter away while all the others just lost their minds trying to find it?

• Like Like x 2
  20. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I really hate how Starscream went from a serious character, with lots of comedic moments, to an all out comic relief character, after season one, but I've gotta admit, he was pretty funny and I laughed especially hard at that scene.

• Like Like x 7