Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

The universe has been around for seven years, correct. But I meant continuity in the sense of "all parts of the media still being in continuity with each other without conflicts."

• Like Like x 1
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Synergy.

Transformers', at the time, biggest competitor was itself. Too many different iterations fighting for shelf space. The idea was that all main media was going to be "in continuity" so any kid could get any Bumblebee toy and be confident it was the Bumblebee they knew. Much like G1 and it's cartoon, comics, toy bios and other material, despite all being seperate continuities they all shared the "Transfomers" characters and designs. Problem was, IDW was too well-established, and no way the movies were rebooting at the top of their game. Nontheless, the big plan was to ditch the constant rebooting and retreading. Three distinct continuities moving forward, with Aligned being the main source of expansion and the "serious" attempt at making a lore-extensive continuity where characters would grow, evolve, and things would change. But alas, nope. Prime staunchly avoided ties with the games, and so the idea was abandonned.

I suppose in the end Prime's utter failure to do its job ended up proving it wasn't a necessary thing to do in the first place, but you have to wonder what could have been. One encompassing continuity, where everything grew. Character didn't reboot and restart, they actually would develope history. Like G1-to-BW, where a legacy would be created over time.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Don't forget the wonderful (this is sarcasm) history that they gave us in the Covenant of Primus book...which is hilariously awful by pretty much ruining the epic build up of the concept of the Original Thirteen by making up a bunch of remaining Thirteen and then giving Megatronus (A.K.A. "The Fallen") the most pathetically edgelord emo-tastic reason for being evil in the first place.

Personally? The Covenant largely just takes the established Thirteen (Fallen, Vector Prime, Nexus Prime, Liege Maximo), canonized Alpha Trion as a Thirteen (this I'm actually okay with), made up eight other Primes (or rather seven of them and retconned the 9th, you don't even need to have read the book to guess who that one was), made up the most screwed up love triangle story imaginable, and called it a day. It's honestly pretty lazy and it completely ignores the strong argument about who should be a Thirteen - Maccadam. In a multi-galaxy spanning war, how in hell does a speakeasy that happens to occur across all dimensional versions of Cybertron manage to be the only accepted neutral zone consistently? You'd need to be a demigod to pull that off - and you can't fucking convince me otherwise that Maccadam is not only a Thirteen (the most likely allegiance of all Cybertronians to be neutral in the war), but that he is not the mustachioed bartender.

I mean, just look at this glorious motherfucker and tell me you don't want a toy off him, let alone think of him a secretly one of the most powerful transformers alive toeing the neutral line thus that his powers exist purely to make everybody drunk out of their minds (which is how I figure nobody remembers if they've actually interacted with alternate universe transformers):
    [​IMG]

Granted, the amended theory is that Maccadam is in fact Alchemest Prime (one of the Covenant's Thirteen) which makes sense if you consider what a bartender does, but I accept that only because I really fucking like this guy being Maccadam and that's the closest to canonizing my headcannon I've got.

(sorry for the text wall, but Maccadam being a Thirteen is like, my number 1 headcannon theory).

Don't forget that around this time, Jagex was supposed to be developing that big Universe themed MMO game which
    The original cab-over Ultra Magnus design came from - which despite that voyager having shoulder problems I still think was a more inspired design than the modified Optimus we got in this show later
    as well as Thundertron from one of the books.

And we all know that MMO crashed and burned in the hollow shell of the MOBA it got reduced to before finally getting canceled without ever leaving beta.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Burnout, you get some more brownie points for mentioning Macaddam! I heard in Animated, Macaddam's Old Oil House was the one place Megs never tried to bomb, the old connoisseur. And I do like the Headcanon that he's Alchemist, I hope IDW or somebody canonizes it so at least our Headcanon can get some official precedent! :lol  And also yeah, I was surprisingly down with Trion becoming one of the Thirteen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

...fuuuuuuuuck.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Autobot Burnout

I never heard this before! Granted, I have failed to aquire any form of the AllSpark Almanacs so that may be a contributing factor, but I can totally believe ol Megatron wouldn't want to bomb the speakeasy joint. Of course, I also imagine Megatron demanding he sip the highest quality oil there from wine glasses, but Animated Megatron was just that kind of badass.

I can't take credit for that one, since I do believe it was a possibility presented by the Ask Vector Prime blog.

Yeah, now you're starting to see the bigger picture on the rammifications for what the Prime cartoon was doing and why the extreme dislike for it extends beyond the quality of writing. As a show, Prime was only meant to be a part of a larger franchise system covering television, books, video games, and of course toys. And all it ever had to do was follow some simple guidelines of plot from the video game and it failed to do even that. Prime isn't responsible for the total collapse of Aligned - mismanagement elsewhere largely tanked the game before it ever really got off the ground, for instance - but it deviated so hard from the basics that Hasbro realized too late the ship was sinking and tried to save it anyway by cannibalizing everything else in vain. Except Rescue Bots, which somehow managed to not only escape any damage despite being said to be 'canon' with Prime by being on the same Earth somehow, but is arguably a far stronger show because it was allowed to do its own thing and not be forced in line with Prime. Things like an entire episode homage to Hitchcock's The Birds but with lobsters.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reask

Reask Predacon

Hello Slayer! Sorry been away for a bit with a downed internet, will be catching up with the blog soon! Yay you've met Dreadwing! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well since Burnout kind of ruined blog, but it must go on, @CaptainSlayer you got 15 episodes left of season 2 before going to season 3.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptainSlayer

Oh no, the blog isn't ruined by any means. As I've stated before, I enjoy seeing all opinions and viewpoints on the shows I'm going through even if I don't share them. Prime has been a lot of fun to me this far. Until today, there was only a single episode I actively disliked. I love the animation, I love the characters and I love watching everything unfold.

I see, acknowledge and understand the complaints a lot of people have towards this show but it falls in my expectation theory. Coming in blind, I have no expectation for the performance of the show and in almost every case it's lead to an overall better experience for me. This far in, this hasn't changed.

I still look forward to what's to come. I still don't know what direction the show is going to take. I'm ready to see how it plays out.

I didn't like today's episode (write up incoming!) but not for most of the reasons previously mentioned by other users.

This show seems to have the most active distaste out of all the blogs I've written (even more so than Beast Machines) but that's a good thing. People are passionate enough about this franchise to feel emotional when discussing it - good and bad.

I don't let other people make up my mind but I don't discredit their thoughts either. The only way the blog would be ruined is if someone posted detailed spoilers, which would either simply lead to me blocking and reporting them to an admin or more likely - would be deleted by the time I saw them thanks to the awesome support I receive from everyone else here.

This isn't a moment of "The show must go on" but of "I want this show to go on, this show will go on - bring the praise and hate, I'm happy to hear it all"!

Thank you for the episode count. I've recently wanted to go to an episode every weekday but know that I'd burn myself out (G1!) and would be upset with a quicker conclusion to the blog.

I love this!

@Reask - Welcome back, brother! Always happy to see you. :) 

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  10. CaptainSlayer

Tunnel Vision

Well, they did it. The mad men went and did it. They managed to make New York City of all places, completely devoid of life and excitement.

One of my absolute favorite sights to see in this world is a beautiful skyline and when it comes to beautiful skylines, it's hard to beat New York City. I tempered my expectations of this episode knowing full well that the budget needed to animate a thriving metropolis would be far beyond the reach of what I've previously seen in Transformers: Prime... but seeing Jack literally sit parked in the middle of what would be a super busy street with only Miko to blow the horn, the group ground bridging into the city in the middle of a somehow completely vacant alley and them cutting down a construction area in broad daylight in vehicle mode without anyone so much as shouting "WHATTAH YA DOIN'?!" is flabbergasting.

The icing on the cake? Apparently absolutely no trains are running today boys and girls. I know the new guy Vogel says something about a crew drilling but COME ON! He's the only other human we even see!

I was warned and not surprised by the Insecticons sudden return to absolute tank mode. I'm alright with that, I prefer it that way. But how the hell did he get into the subway system without being spotted? His alt mode in a GIANT BEETLE!? Did the Decepticons somehow ground bridge right into the subway but the Autobots couldn't?

Also, I'm almost 100% sure it wasn't my TV, Blu-Ray Player or Blu-Ray but did anyone else notice how out of sync Optimus and Ratchet's mouths seemed at the very beginning of this episode? Like, the words they were saying weren't close to the movements their mouths were making and I'm not willing to believe that's been going on the whole time and I've just noticed it because it was absolutely glaring.

Knock Out also mentioned Breakdown's death in this episode. I wasn't satisfied with it and I guess the red con didn't really care about his partner as much as I hoped. I don't know what I expected.

This episode marks the second (maybe third) in the series that I just haven't liked. It was pretty boring and I was almost falling asleep while watching it. The artifact the Autobots got a hold of was pretty cool and seeing Knock Out get all scuffed up was satisfying due to his vanity issues but the rest was pretty meh. I love how the kids and Vogel were on a speeding train for ages before anyone decided to check on them.

Oh, which reminds me, does the voice actor for Vogel also play Bender from Futurama and Marcus Fenix from Gears of War? The voice sounded super familiar and that's the closest I can think of. I know the guys name but I don't want to butcher the spelling of his last name so I'll let you all do it. ;) 

I was going to look up Vogel on the wiki to confirm or deny but I don't want to see any spoilers.

So what did you guys think about this one? Am I alone? Did I miss something?

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoyed reading my thoughts. I know I love reading yours!

• Like Like x 5
  11. Autobot Burnout

How did I ruin it exactly?

One of my personal favorite flaws in this episode - which is mediocre at best - is essentially the entire premise. Sure, the phase shifter gets burried underground so they use a network of tunnels to get to it...

...but the New York Subway? They didn't even TRY to replicate it with a degree of accuracy, since everything is brightly lit (for a subway tunnel) and the tunnels are all big enough for the robots to stand up straight inside.

[​IMG]

I swear to God this only proves that the people who made Prime have never ridden in a subway, let alone the New York Metro system.
    [​IMG]

And yes, Vogel's VA was Bender.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

While not my favorite episode I like it enough because of Knockout. For the cons bridging in they do have more resources and superior tech to the Autobots so it would make sense. Plus when you have Soundwave on speed dial he can just bridge you anywhere.

Patience friend, there will be some closure later. And yes that's the great John Dimaggio, whom may also know as Leadfoot and Crosshairs from the movies.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    This is around the time I started loosing interest in the show. I kept watching 'cause I love Starscream.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I think my favorite part of this episode was seeing Knock Out wield his shock staff again. I love that thing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I mainly remember this episode for having the single worst line of dialogue in the entire series.

"You will move quickly and operate with a surge of skill".

Seriously, who tells people to "operate with a surge of skill"? I mean, telling him to move with skill? Sure, but "operate"? Questionable choice of words but it is a military leader, so maybe, but then he says "a surge of skill" which is just way too silly for a military commander to say. In fact, I don't think anyone would say that, in that context.

• Like Like x 3
  16. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I actually thought Megatron said something else.

"You will move quickly and operate with a surgeon's skill!"

As in a reference to Knock Out being a surgeon/medic, and surgeons always have to be precise when operating on a patient.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    And now begins the downright dreadfully boring episodes of Prime. Fetchquests, fetchquests and more fetchquests!

Also, inconsistent third rail use.

Not really.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    If Flying Mind was meh, then Tunnel Vision was even more meh.

Yep, I was anticipating your disappointment a while back when you were excited to see New York as a deviation from the lifeless, empty environments we've had all this time. All this episode was, was just a brown tunnel the whole time.

Knock Out finally mentions Breakdown's death and yeah it's pretty meh too. He will mention it more later, at least, though that's all I'll say. I thought it was kinda meh when he got scraped up and humiliated, because it felt kinda cliche for him to get his paint job ruined. Oh ho ho, everyone can point and laugh. I also really hate that shot where it's Bee, Arcee, Vogel, and the kids looking at Knock Out. Just so... boring, and I saw it everywhere.

Vogel was a fun little character, and I still miss him. He was easily one of my favorite characters to interact with on the Formspring RP as he fit right in with our zany community.

This episode actually did do something important that I think is usually overlooked - it gives the reason why Miko is so reckless or at least a reason. She tells Jack how she's jealous that he got to go to Cybertron and help save Optimus. The scene said to me that Miko is so extra because she wants to really help on the front lines. All that bluster is a facade because she just wants to help. This moment in the series was when I actually came around to Miko, though I hardly forgot her transgressions. I dunno. Like how I like Airachnid, somehow I found it in my probably-too-sympathetic heart to come around to Miko. The Formspring RP certainly helped (there, she did these adorable drawings of the Autobots as various animals, and made hilarious disses towards the Bay films).

Let's see, what else? Eh. Not much. I did like Megs' shitty kick in the groin to KO - "since the loss of Breakdown has left you rather VULNERABLE". I think there was a moment when Optimus had an amusing expression on his face after Fowler's outburst and possibly after Miko and Jack bickered.

Also, speaking of Fowler, keep in mind that scene where the Bots call him to talk to Vogel, and what he was saying before getting the call. It'll be explained soon.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autobot Burnout

Your RP sounds like the show we should have gotten. With the 5 month absence of Prime and Miko actually being likable.

And probably Japanese, because if there's one thing that annoyed the shit out of me about Miko, it's that they went out of their way to explain how she's from Japan and is an exchange student, but doesn't exhibit the behavior of one or basically do ANYTHING that you would expect from a non-US native.

Like, say, SPEAK JAPANESE because that should be her PRIMARY LANGUAGE. But no. It seems she's only Japanese to be an excuse for her being all crazy and shit.

But the show really just drives home how big Miko is with the defining moment of stupidity in the whole show - Hardshell's death. Everybody is in shock that he died because Miko PRESSED A FUCKING BUTTON to fire missiles, as if somehow Wheeljack doing the same thing given it was his ship wouldn't have resulted in the same exact situation. And how this defines the latter bits of S2 is just disgusting because of how it paints Megatron as a completely useless person.

20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    My :2c:  based on some comments in recent posts...

PLEASE LET SLAYER DEVELOP HIS OWN OPINION(S) ABOUT THE EPISODES AND THE SERIES AS A WHOLE.

DON'T DO TO HIM WHAT HAPPENED TO OTHERS IN THIS FORUM DURING THE ORIGINAL AIRING, LET HIM ENJOY OR NOT, ON HIS OWN AND STATE AS SUCH IN HIS OWN WORDS.

THIS BLOG IS INTENDED TO BE HIS IMPRESSIONS OF THE EPISODES AS HE WATCHES, PLEASE DON'T BE 'DOGGY DOWNERS' AND TRY TO INFLUENCE HIS ENJOYMENT OF THE SERIES.

PLEASE TRY. THANKS.

• Like Like x 8