Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I remember what you said in the other thread, especially since it was me you were explaining it to, but if you think you'll remember everything you'll need to comment on, I definitely recommend watching Darkness Rising in one sitting, if possible. IMO, it makes for a pretty bad ass movie and is one of the most enjoyable Transformers stories made.

• Like Like x 3
  2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I think the fact that I didn't remember it was you I was explaining it too only further proves my point that while my memory is improving, it's still butt. :p 

I'm really excited and will -probably- watch it all in one go. I think it'll be a good way to kick start the blog. Besides, if I forget to mention something, I'm sure someone will bring it up and that just creates discussion which is exactly what I love to see. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Even as someone who doesn't like TFPrime, Darkness Rising is still a solid "movie" on its own and probably the high point of the entire show for me. It definitely watches better all at once as it's heavily serialized the way the rest of the show isn't.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Godspeed you magnificent bastard!

• Like Like x 1
  5. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I'm eagerly awaiting this. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. CaptainSlayer

0707171420a.jpg 0707171420.jpg

They have arrived and joined the collection!

I also ordered the predacons rising Blu ray today. ☺

Now we wait for Monday.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rock n Roll!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    Prime borrowed a bit from the Bay films so you may enjoy this. For me the show seemed to get off to a slow start but it does pick up mid way through season 1.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TwitchingFool0

TwitchingFool0 Hated by many, liked by few.

I LOVED Prime. It can get a little slow and some of the humans are kinda irritating (Normal for TF tho). This series is very intense and i'll think you'll like it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Cap.. Got your message and happy to see you start this series and your blog... As with happened with your G1 and BW blogs hopefully even the haters can garner a new, or at least, a better appreciation for TFP by "watching" it again thru your reactions and comments.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to drop in and see your sometimes hilarious observations and critique

Enjoy!!! I did!!......

• Like Like x 3
  11. CaptainSlayer

Thank you MPL <3

Today is the day - the wife will be watching with me and we will be watching the five parter in one sitting. Time to train that memory up, I suppose. ;) 

EDIT: Also, I'm thinking about doing this blog every other weekday to allow more time for discussion per episode while also preventing the fatigue I got while running through some of the others shows (Beast Wars/Machines was rough!). This would mean an entry every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. What do you all think?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

Sounds like a plan!! Ive been ready for this since Friday.

• Like Like x 2
  13. soundwaverulls

Whatever gets you through the show with maximum enjoyment. Looking forwards to seeing your reaction to Darkness Rising soon. I'm sure you're gonna love it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    That seems fine. Although maybe not for the multi-part episodes, that could result in people accidentally spoiling you, which is why I would advise you to watch the multi-part episodes on a day to day basis rather than an ever other day basis. The other episodes could be done in every other day format, but the choice is ultimately yours, though, this is my suggestion to you.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CaptainSlayer

I see no harm in doing multiparter episodes in a single sitting to prevent spoilers - unless there's a ton of them?

• Like Like x 1
  16. soundwaverulls

That's the thing, there are a lot. Even if an episode wasn't a "part x of x" there were still a lot of episodes that would lead in to each other. In fact,
    in season 3, there were more that did than didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CaptainSlayer

Not going to check that spoiler but there were plenty of episodes that led into one another in other blogs that we dodged spoilers for. As I said in the OP, I had plenty of people messaging me with "STAY AWAY!" when spoilers popped up, which let's face it, they will and MPL was extremely helpful in keeping it clean of those. :D 

18. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Season 1 and Season 2 didn't have many multi-partners besides the premiere and the finale and a few here and there. Just up until Season 3, that bridge can be crossed when we get there.

Now, whether if you choose to read that or not, I do reccomend you watch some of those episodes on the same day. If you want to limit it, only do the ones that say Part 1 or Part 2 in the title on the same day.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. CaptainSlayer

I had to divert my eyes while quoting this so I couldn't see in the spoiler tag :p 

This is 100% doable!

• Like Like x 1
  20. CaptainSlayer

Darkness Rising (Miniseries)
    This is the first Transformer's show that I went into and immediately recognized the full robotic cast of characters. Seeing a new take on Cliffjumper right from the start put a smile on my face and having Arcee without two clone like counter parts also gave me a sense of familiarity that made me comfortable right away.

What I didn't expect was to see one of my most loved/hated characters essentially stabbing an old Autobot friend in the heart with his demonically long crack nails. After coming off of Animated, I wasn't prepared to see this type of 'brutality' in the show but it was a very pleasant surprise. I couldn't help but feel almost betrayed by this being the third time one of my Autobots die right in the beginning of a new experience but instead of being blasted by a hollow shell of a character with a sniper rifle on his face or being brought down due to a little girl refusing to listen - Cliffjumper's death served a purpose and introduced me to a darker side of Starscream that immediately tells me he is capable of leading the Decepticon army and that I'm going to be a fan of his tactics.

Those of you that informed me that the show would carry great similarities to the Bayverse were absolutely right and it did not disappoint. Bumblebee's alt and vehicles modes along with his broken voice along with Optimus Prime's familiar tone gave me a sense of pride to consider myself a Bayformer fan - something the actual Bay films haven't done since June 28th, 2011.

The flow of this five episode miniseries didn't leave me with a dull moment and even though I found some of the human kid characters cheesy and plagued with terrible lines, I felt like their introduction to the Autobot team was fluid and convincing. Arcee could really use a lesson on staying in her alt mode in front of humans.

Miko was easily my least favorite of the three kids but she managed to pair up with an old favorite I wasn't expecting to see - Bulkhead. This version of Bulk doesn't make me assume his intellect is that of a bucket, even though he underestimates his brute strength and destroys some of Ratchet's equipment, and his combat style is so satisfying to watch. The relationship between him and Miko easily sold me and I got the feeling that she looked up to him from the moment they met. I want to say that Bulkhead is a character I want to see in the live action counterparts but after the massive disappointment of Age of Extinction and The Last Knight I can only pray that they don't bastardize and neuter another well written character so they can advertise Bud Light.

Taking a step back, I loved the art of the show. Certain scenes rendered in a way that brought me back to the older but lovely style of Beast Wars while other scenic scenes looked like they belonged in an art museum. The models of the Transformers themselves are awesome and while some are extremely familiar from the bay films like Optimus and Bumblebee, others invoke a G1 aesthetic like Megatron and some are a brand new take on the design such as Soundwave.

Speaking of, this non-vocal version of Soundwave left me in love with his design and wanting for that old distorted G1 voice until Miko snapped a picture of him and while staring at the reflection of the kids in his visor - he snapped one right back. It was at that moment, I knew I was going to love the silent antagonist. Also, a fun fact about this version of Soundwave. I used to buy these blind packs of tiny Transformers figures every time I would go into Target (they've stopped carrying them) and I actually have two of them that are Prime Soundwave which you can see in the picture I posted of my blu-rays on the shelf in this thread. Until today, I had no idea who that Decepticon was or where they were from.

Megatron, I was surprised to see that Starscream was the leader of the Decepticons and was happy to see how that played out but was quickly shut down on that idea (until I wasn't) when TronCon showed up at the end of the first episode. I'm not entirely sure where he's been the past three years but him bringing back Dark Energon is something I'm vaguely familiar with, I think it was in a video game I played or maybe in one of the older shows I reviewed and I can't recall the details but it's fair to say I didn't expect him to be a necromancer by any means.

I was skeptical of the undead Transformers when Cliffjumper tried to eat some brains (motherboards?) but I got on board when Optimus Prime and Ratchet fought through an entire horde of them together. It was a scene that made me very happy because my -all time- favorite Autobot Ratchet was side by side with the leader of the Autobots cutting down a massive wave of enemies. You hear the war stories and you know he's a cranky old vet - but it never gets old seeing this medic punishing the opposition and for that, I thank Transformers: Prime.

Please be warned that I reveal a major spoiler for Transformers: The Last Knight in this hidden section as well as a massive spoiler for Prime.

A name I did not expect to hear in the first little bit of the show is Unicron and while it's going to be a massive disappointment to some - I know that Unicron is Earth in Transformers: Prime. I learned this while reading a thread in the movie discussion section of the forums when I expressed my displeasure of Unicron being Earth in the Last Knight and it was again confirmed when I watched a uncensored review of The Last Knight by Andre "The Black Nerd" and his friend, whose name I cannot remember, where she explained that the concept originated here. With that said, I do not know the details behind that plot, I do not know how it plays out, I do not know how important of a role it plays in the series and above all else - I do not judge or oppose the idea of it happening in the show. I am coming into this with a very open mind and am eager to see how the next three seasons of Transformers goodness play out.

It was refreshing to have a new introduction to a show that felt familiar and different at the same time. Prime has taken some of my most beloved characters from multiple series, put a fresh take on most of them, given me my favorite paint of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee (I seriously love his voice in this show) and added a dash of robotic Mortal Kombat level combat and covered it with a coherent story that I didn't feel confused by or left shaking my head at.

Coming off of two major movie disappointments to me, this has left me very excited for the future of Transformers: Prime as we cover it from start to finish. My only complaints so far being the cliche of the kids stereotypes (Ralph/Raff/Raph was giving me flashbacks of Lux Murphy's "I'm a hacker" line in Jurassic Park) and the lack of variety among the Decepticons. I'm happy to have drone like cons that can be tossed around and beaten to hell and I'm aware that this is just the beginning making this a non-issue but I really hope to see some familiar cons before long.

To name a few I'd love to see,
    • Swindle
    • Ravage
    • Randal (Rumble)
    • Astrotrain
    • Shockwave
    Which reminds me, was that Laserbeak chasing down the military guy whose name I've forgotten but is totally the guy from Ghostbusters? I imagined it was but I don't believe it was ever confirmed... y'know, since Soundwave doesn't announce their names as he sends them out.

I'm also hopeful we will see some new Autobot's arriving on Earth. The way the five part mini-series ended was nearly identical to how most of the movies end and to me that seems to indicate more Autobots crashing down on Earth looking to help.

Those that would make me happy,

• Ironhide
    • Wheeljack
    • Hot Rod
    • Jolt
    • Wreck-Gar
    • Tracks
    • Hippie (Beachcomber)
    • That freaky half dragon, half space ship guy from Season 3. Just because I want to see the reaction of the kids trying to figure that one out.

To say I'm pleased with this introduction would be a fair assessment but also an understatement. Transformers: Prime is the kind of cartoon I was expecting in 2014 when I booted up G1 for the first time and at the same time, I'm glad it wasn't.

Starscream, you've been given another chance to make me love you. You succeeded with Animated but that was primarily because you were voiced by Tom Kenny (and because you could take on all of the Autobots at once). This time you have the opportunity to prove to me that you are perfectly capable of leading the Decepticons. You've already demonstrated the brutality - now show me the cunning strategy.

I believe that's all I have to say on the premiere, though I'm sure I've left a thing or two out. If it was mentioned in the first five episodes, feel free to discuss it here while making sure to tag your spoilers that may lead to something I haven't seen yet!

If you missed it earlier today, I've decided to go with a schedule of watching an episode every Monday, Wednesday and Friday while taking on multi-parters at once in most cases. This will allow more time for discussion on episodes while also preventing the fatigue I ran into during Season 3 of G1 and the back to back Beast Wars/Beast Machines!

I look forward to discussing everything with you guys and girls and thank you for reading!

• Like Like x 15