Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've fallen behind on watching the episodes myself, but I plan to catch up soon. Still enjoy reading all of this discussion. Much better than the first time around :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

... I watched Armada Friday night and fell asleep right after. I forgot to actually do a write up. :|

I'll go through replies and then get my entry posted here in just a bit, just got into work. Flying Mind will still be watched today. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptainSlayer

Armada

I'm surprised this episode didn't begin with a record scratch freeze frame with Bulkhead narrating the whole "Yup, that's me. I bet you're wondering how I've got here" before showing the '24 hours earlier' title card.

After a forum user hinting that Starscream might get an abrupt death scene, I was disappointed with Bulkhead smashing his head in. But then it seemed that fate had once again given me the ability to get exactly what I ask for in the Transformers universe as Starscream ended up cloning himself an armada of seekers. I'll be the first to admit, when I said I wanted to see him leading a group of seekers again, I didn't expect a similar Animated scenario but I'll take what I can get - regardless of how short lived it is.

I'm curious as to why the four clones didn't agree to become Megatron's second in command. My theory is that none of them trusted each other enough to take advantage of the offer since they all share Starscream's mind set. Then again, they could have just wanted to have it all for themselves. Who knows.

Megatron fighting a legion of Insecticons would have been awesome. Seeing him stroll out on top of the Nemesis without a worry in his mind was exciting but then Arcee manages to put Airachnid in a cage and they're all suddenly servant to Megatron again giving him another army to use against the Autobots. It really seems like this show doesn't want the good guys to win but what happens when Airachnid comes out of stasis? Can't she just re-summon all the bugcons?

My favorite scene from this episode is the final one with Starscream killing his clone. He has to endure the pain but I can only imagine he ends up taking the T-Cog out of that clone once he's finished off. I wondered if the clone would off the original as a way for us to have a fully functioning Starscream again but I'm happy that this wasn't the case. Here's to hoping our seeker finds some luck soon.

I am curious though. When we first saw an Insecticon go toe-to-toe with Megatron, it was nearly a fair fight but in this episode the Autobots make easy work out of a good few of them. Are the freshly hatched ones not as powerful as the others?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Megatron's big flaw is that no matter what, he just wants MORE ARMY despite having the advantage of numbers for the entire show.

I mean, a handful of Vehicons are more than enough to overwhelm Cliffjumper, yet what does Megatron do (and effectively have abandoned his army for three years for in the first place)? RAISE AN ARMY OF THE UNDEAD. Which really didn't work out to any benefit.

Now he's still got the Vehicons, but what happens? INSECTICONS.

But more importantly, the entire conclusion to what happens between Arcee and Airachnid is pure unadaulterated BULLSHIT. Literally, every goddamn time Arcee gets triggered about how Airachnid killed white Cliffjumper so long ago and how Airachnid has posed a threat time and again to anybody Arcee cares about, you would think the writers would have the balls to let her finally kill the bitch.

But NO. Instead, she espouses some high road garbage and then puts Airachnid in a stasis lock tube. Because apparently taking the moral high road IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING WAR by not killing a certifiably irredeemable bitch whose only going to come back and kill indiscriminately in the future. I mean, Arcee murders the shit out of vehicons like a thousand degree knife through melted butter but when it comes to her archnemesis who she had every justification to kill, she instead takes the completely unjustified move of moral superiority when there isn't A SINGLE GODDAMN POINT to letting the psycho spider live?

The amount of plot armor on Airachnid, because she's the writer's beloved Mary Sue, is more ridiculous than Bumblebee in the last Transformers film. And what's even worse?
    THERE'S NOT A GODDAMN REASON TO NOT KILL HER ANYWAY FOR STORYTELLING REASONS! She gets referenced as being in the fucking pod multiple times and survives a point blank base explosion, but the one time she does wake up, she takes out the one character she's actually killed during the run of the show again and then gets her ass handed to her by Soundwave not giving a shit...again...AND SHE STILL DOESN'T FUCKING DIE!

Oh, you've just stumbled upon what will become the most bullshit plot thread of the show with regards to how 'tough' the insecticons are.

As for the next episode? Your impression will depend on how well you know the lore that Prime is supposed to be in continuity with.

• Like Like x 3
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You might be refering to me. That is not what I hinted at, that's all I'll say.

Okay, this really bothered me. Because one, it's the only time we've seen an Autobot ever successfully kill a 'Con thus far, and it's on an expendable clone. Plus, the way Bulkhead just hyper-murders him, and then has this borderline schizophrenic line where he convinces himself it was the right thing to do once again casts a light on the fucked up morals of the team, and the backwards writing. Yes, it was a clone, but Bulkhead didn't know that, and every other time they've fought 'Cons it was never so visceral. It's like the show has issues it needs to work out, but can't because of it's constraints, and thus when it does work up a senario where death can happen it's super fucked up.

This also bugs me. It's such a throwaway reference to Animated and takes what could be a game-changer and spends it on a single episode. Starscream's clones were the entire finale of the seaosn, and even after they weren't "useful" some stuck around as bit characters. This is just... nothing. Clones because reference, dead because status quo.

Aside from Megatron's bland effortlessness painting him out to be less a capable villain and more a tool of the plot in that senario, I agree with AB. Megatron has this desperate want to "one-up" the Autobots with greater armies and gadgets, when he has a fucking army and warship already. If the Autobots were of equal strength to the 'Cons I'd get needing to get that "edge", but he should've just started razing the planet ages ago. How exactly are more endless troops going to make your already endless troops any better? What exactly is his frigging end goal here?

No, the show wants you to think the good guys can't win, but really, they're invincible. Cliffjumper's death, the unending swath of villains, the small rag-tag group verses the "baddest of the bad," it's all smoke and mirrors. The Autobots are unstoppable.

Nope, they just wrote themselves into a corner and had to make them less powerful just so the heroes could actually beat them. It's the ninja philosophy at its utter worst.

See, and I promise I'll get off TFA's immobilizer staff shortly, but Prime is trying to copy the magic of TFA but also trying to up the stakes. You have a nearly superficially identical Autobot team of Optimus, Ratchet, Bulkhead and Bumblebee, swapping out Prowl for Arcee (who even shares some design cues from his such as her wings and wheels in her "boots") who are alone and under-equipped to handle Decepticons, who are themselves big, bad, and seemingly unstoppable. But TFA realised you can't have such unbeatable foes fight such woefully outmathed heroes, and smartly hobbled the Decepticons. In season 1 Megatron was just a head and the 'Cons were scattered, season 2 they were recovering from their defeat and scheming a more direct plan of conquest that didn't even involve the Autobots, and so-on. TFA knew that having unstoppable bad guys around all the time meant they couldn't actually be unstoppable, and suddeny the heroes bravely overcoming impossible odds was switched out for being themselves the unstoppable badasses who single-shot mooks like it's nothing.

It's also one of the reasons TFA avoided giving the heroes guns. Not because "oooo guns are bad" or anything so lowbrow, but because look at how boring the encounters become when the Autobots just shoot their way out. TFA had dudes with axes and magnets fighting war machines and it was interesting. They had to push themselves to win, and often think tactically. Thankfully Prime also realises this and keeps a healthy amount of melee combat for interest, but now the characters just look foolish fighting hand-to-hand when they logically should just be focussing fire and dealing with every situation with their guns. Prime wants the heroes to seem outmatched, to make them evenly matched, but instead just makes them seem completely unbeatable.

And we haven't even gotten to Bulkhead's incident yet...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. CaptainSlayer

I can't quote either of you due to the spoiler tags but I agree with you on a few parts.

Burnout, your statement about not offing an enemy in a war makes me imagine a scenario where the allies would've had a gun to Hitler's head and let him go due to the high road.

Split, it may have been you and I interpreted it wrong but I can't remember without flipping back a few pages with my poor memory. I'd also forgotten that the Autobots in Animated were just a construction crew and didn't have weapons. I'm pretty sure Bumblebee ended up getting some zappers or something but you're right that the fights were much more intimate!

7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    He always had these little welder-stingers, but in season 3 Ratchet boosted them to "combat grade." But even then, they weren't on the level of guns, they just went from "stun" to "fry."

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

Don't forget super early on (Darkness Rising Pt. 3 or 4), Bulkhead rips out the guts of a vehicon and tells Miko to look away.

I don't think even the writers knew, as based on how Megatron's 'backstory' as explained by Ratchet some episodes ago went from rising populilst icon fighting for the lower classes to on a dime suddenly GWAAAAAHH GIVE ME POWER GWAAAAAHHHH and the council almost immediately gives it to his best friend instead simply because Pax was not a power raving lunatic at that moment.

Not to mention, if you think about it, the greatest asset Megatron has to undermining the Autobots? ARCEE. After all, in this very episode, who does he have to really thank for giving him the entire insecticon army because guess who incapacitated their mind-controller?

Oh, and this isn't the last time Arcee is a better supporter of the Decepticon army as opposed to Team Prime because she's such a stupid bitch, either.

Animated was smart in how it handled the threat threshold. The very beginning of that series has Megatron single handedly (literally after Starscream's bomb goes off) crush the good guys and almost instantly win before the show even gets off the ground, only getting thrown into a re-enty burn with quick thinking on Optimus's part. And then for most of S1 their primary enemies were incidental humans and Megatron's attempt at rebuilding himself/his army through manipulating Sari's abuse of the key actually backfiring - the humans have a last moment of glory in fighting off Swindle before getting arrested for good and S3 is all about the Decepticons, who the 'Bots have grown enough to competently face, and even then they only win when Megatron shows up because of some luck and heavy sacrifice all to emerge victorious by the skin of their teeth. Furthermore, in the morality department, Animated was super-gray about it as well but in a twist, it was in giving the Decepticons a real point in their cause by making the Autobots as a whole totally shady as shit. Sentinel alone becomes a greater threat to Cybertron as its leader than Megatron ever was when Sentinel demands the Transwarp-overloaded Omega Supreme - with Megatron on him - gets blown up, a move Megatron is sure Sentinel isn't dumb enough to do because the resulting explosion would destroy Cybertron with it.

In Prime, it's none of that. The Autobots are never in the wrong even when they're blatantly in the wrong (there is an episode in the future that will truly showcase this) and the show is known for its status quo because after Darkness Rising, any advantage any enemy gets to fight the Autobots is swiftly nerfed into oblivion. Remember Nemesis Prime, who was enough to fight the real Prime to a standstill? He never shows up again after one episode of being an actual threat.

The brilliant part of this is how natural an upgrade the combat stingers are - Ratchet could have done the upgrade at any time, but combat level stingers are never even mentioned as being a thing until that moment but it's such a natural concept it seamlessly fits into the world setting - and Prime still gets a word in about giving Bumblebee an unauthorized upgrade.

Meanwhile, Ultra Magnus is the only Autobot with guns (TWELVE of them!) and he amusingly just gets his ass kicked every time he's even remotely near a fight with a Decepticon - Resurected Starscream takes him out with one shot from his arm laser and Shockwave hands him his ass so hard off screen that according to the Almanacs, he was going to die from the injuries eventually. And Shockwave technically only has the one gun!

• Like Like x 2
  9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yup. I really liked how "outdated" Magnus had become. He was the only Autobot technically capable of going one-on-one with a high ranking 'Con, but he was so past his prime he was basically just a figurehead. It just goes to show how set in their ways the Autobots are that they've let their leader become so weak. The Autobots were all about tradition, legacies, and deliberately questionable moral high grounds. That's the canonical reason almost no TFA 'Bots have guns from the Almanac, because it's in honour of the early Autobots who were workers, not warriors. This put Optimus' crew at odds with the Autobot regime.

Meanwhile the 'Cons were all about bucking trends and upsetting the status quo. They were proper antagonists, working to shake things up, not just do the same old over and over.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CaptainSlayer

Flying Mind

Megatron says that Optimus Prime has become more ruthless in their previous encounters when Knock Out questions if the Autobots would really make an assault while the Nemesis is disabled. Apart from the brief moment at the volcano, I don't recall Optimus making any violent choices and am curious as to why Megatron would draw this conclusion but more so as to why Optimus decides to go right for the spark extractor. Did he aim to steal the soul of each and every Decepticon on the ship before they could regroup? I feel like letting Agent Fowler call in a harrier strike on the ship would have been more 'humane'.

I'm also curious if the Nemesis had a name in it's sentient form. I was honestly hoping when Ratchet asked who he was speaking too that the vessel would reply "Astrotrain" and that the Decepticons would end up taming the ship and allow it to become a part of the team. However, that didn't seem to be in the cards unfortunately.

This episode gave the humans a lot of focus and I enjoyed that. It was cool to see the scale between the Decepticons and the humans up close, it seemed larger than the Autobot to human ratio for some reason. Agent Fowler is also quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in the show. Initially, he was a stickler and very rude/impatient but now it seems like he spends more time at the Autobot Outpost than he does on military bases.

The scene where the Nemesis tries to capture Miko and Raf reminded me so much of 'the claw' from Toy Story and I was cheesin' the entire time. I expected Jack to lure the claw onto Megatron's hand and pull it backwards but instead it somehow manages to hit TronCon in the back of the leg and cause him to fall over. We see his fingers uncurl from around the lever as he falls and maybe it's just that his momentum is great enough to do so but I thought if you were in stasis that you couldn't move the parts no matter how much force you put in?

This episode did a good job of setting up at least four new adventure locations and the final shot of Manhattan was beautiful and exciting. The animators used cloud coverage to save from rendering the entire city but the idea of seeing some action somewhere besides the vacant open spaces we're used too would be wonderful.

I am a little concerned about Optimus Prime however. He was extremely reckless in this one and led almost his entire team to their deaths. If Nemesis wouldn't have become sentient, the Autobots would have their sparks ripped out while in stasis and Fowler would be a red mist splattered across the desert. His decision making in this one seemed really off. I'm scared he'll end up being a leader of ill judgment like Optimus Primal in Beast Machines and Rodimus Prime post movie.

Lastly, you've got to love the 'second opinion' line from Ratchet near the end of the show. Love Prime or hate it, c'mon, that one was well earned! I also think it's the first time we've seen Knock Out and Ratchet together though I could be wrong.

Oh and I almost forgot, one more thing, Knock Out still hasn't shown any emotion to his old partner being butchered by humans. I'm hoping this will change when MechDown shows up later in the show but you'd think with all the crying Arcee does they'd allow a bit of that drama to influence the Decepticon side and show that they've got something more to them than bad, bad, evil juju juice.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Knockout and Ratchet both appeared on screen together in the episode Stronger, Faster after Ratchet drops Breakdown and charges at Megatron. They also have that short struggle over the synthetic energon towards the end of the episode.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Autobot Burnout

This is what I was alluding to with the lore bit previously.

See, at the time, FOC had just come out a few months prior and Hasbro was of course trying to force everything into being in continuity with Prime...despite Aligned's entire point of existence being anything but that. In this specific instance, however, it involves the exact nature of the Nemesis.

You see, halfway through FOC, Megatron (having just pulled the Galvatron ursurp on Starscream) leads the Decepticons to raid the Autobot facility where the comatose Trypticon is being kept. Megatron, who is not happy with Trypticon's failure to crush his enemies from the last game, orders Nemesis Protocol which ends up turning Trypticon into the Nemesis itself - permamently. Megatron cites this as being a kind of punishment.

So, you have Trypticon being the true identity of the Nemesis as well as a very valid reason to just hate everybody. And keep in mind that Hasbro ordered the game studio to design FOC Nemesis as as close to a copy of Prime Nemesis as possible to underscore the connection that the two ships were intended to be one and the same.

Instead, this damn episode comes out and the idiots in charge of running the show explicitly state that the ship inteligence IS NOT FUCKING TRYPTICON. Like, why in hell would you not have it be Trypticon when it makes so much sense compared to just some random-ass hostile sentience instead? This is one of the key flaws in Prime; that the show runners seemed hell bent on not following the very continuity they were hired to make a show to follow in the first place.

HOPE YOU LIKE SHITTY XAOLIN SHOWDOWN!

Oh, he makes some stupid decisions, but because he's Optimus Prime, he can't ever be wrong or make the wrong choice. The plot will do backflips to ensure that no matter how illogical, how stupid, how incompetent Prime is as a leader, everything will work out for him in the end.

Whatever you're thinking will happen...won't.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    @Autobot Burnout I will clarify just for the sake of it that actually, FOC didn't come out until several months after Flying Mind. But yes, that should've never been an issue. I mean I guess in hindsight maybe someone could make the flimsy argument that they didn't name it in-episode as Trypticon to not spoil FOC, but again, it never should've been an issue so meh.

And hey! Xiaolin Showdown was a good show! Relic hunts aren't necessarily a bad thing if there's great story arcs and character development along the way, and Xiaolin Showdown didn't disappoint in that.

Re: Armada - Agh, such a conflicting episode. The Insecticons are down to the same power level as the standard Eradicons. The shot of the Decepticons fighting off the Insecticon horde was cool, though I would've loved to have seen Dreadwing and Soundwave fighting back on-screen as well. The Airachnid stuff was bad, Arcee screaming as she fought Airachnid was really, really annoying. I say this as someone who likes Airachnid, everything in this episode regarding her sucked. The Starscream clones were pretty meh.

Re: Flying Mind - another meh episode. I think Megs was referring to how Optimus strongly considered killing him in Crossfire when he said he was more ruthless. And yeah you could tell Optimus lost his temper and went for it and basically threw away everything. I think the Spark Extractor was the right way to go, wiping them all out at once, though they should've Groundbridged closer to the wreckage. Time was short, yes, but it couldn't have been that short. And yes, Ratchet's slugging Knock Out was delightful.

I don't want to address several of your comments in-depth since it will lead to spoilers, so I'll just vaguely address them. Some of what you suggested will come to pass, and a few you're not quite so accurate at predicting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autobot Burnout

It wasn't the fact they didn't name Trypticon in the episode that bothered me - if it had been only that, then it would have been left up to interpetation and that is perfectly reasonable in my book.

Plus, the Exiles book did the same thing FOC did by making Trypticon trapped as the Nemesis so it was clearly meant to be a thing.

But no, Bob Skir said in an interview it wasn't Trypticon - and basically everything the ship did never got revisited.
    That's why I said shitty Xiaolin Showdown, because that show was actually good and the relics actually were ancient powerful weapons.

Prime has none of that and the majority of 'relics' aren't actually even truly legendary items, but just shit basically stolen from a Decepticon R&D Locker during the war.
    You actually like Airachnid? I honestly find the character has zero redeeming qualities to the point she's the worst character in Transformers history in my book. Sure, a renegade bounty hunting character can be cool, but Airachnid existed only to be a BlackArachnia rip-off because she barely ever transformed into the helicopter mode, which sure as hell would be more useful than spider legs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Also why didn't we ever follow up on why the Nemesis wanted the relics? That was kinda intriguing that it was silent when asked by Ratchet. Given what we know from later in the series, I wonder if it was even in the know regarding all that. But alas, back into the cupboard they go.

Ah my bad, I thought you were calling Xiaolin Showdown shitty. :lol  and eh, I dunno. I find myself hating Arcee more than Airachnid. I liked how for all her threats and supposed menace, Airachnid was even more spineless than Starscream at points. Like when she immediately lost her shit when Megs started fighting back against the Insecticon, or how she could never even touch Soundwave despite trying to take control. And how she was willing to give up her status as a lone rogue if it meant having an empire and warship to command.

I definitely see your points and agree with pretty much everything but I can't bring myself to hate her for whatever reason. :lol 

16. Autobot Burnout

Just another example of the show trying to be bigger than it really was. I'm pretty sure the Nemesis was never really meant to have a reason for wanting the relics, the entire episode's point truly just being a workaround to Prime not decoding more of the coordinates to skip ahead to finding more relics.

I don't like Arcee either, but Airachnid simply goes farther by being the pet Mary Sue of the writers who isn't terribly original. She's obviously supposed to be just 'actually evil Blackarachnia' to the point the fact she turns into a spider thing is far more important than her actual transformation into a helicopter, the toy itself lacks basic articulation and fails to do anything right meaning little to no effort was put into it for some reason, they allowed her to kill Breakdown like some kind of sacrificial offering because the shitheads decided killing off Breakdown before really developing him further was better than, y'know, making up some excuse on why he needed a new voice because Baldwin wanted out of the show, and overall the character existed for no fucking reason other than to generate angst in Arcee. Arcee is a shit character, that much is true, but goddamn, Airachnid was more of a prop than anything because the writers couldn't do a certain something with a certain other character to achieve the same end result for most of the show up to this point.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CaptainSlayer

You're absolutely right, I'd just forgotten. Thank you for the clarification Galvatron!

Hey man, as long as Megatron starts wearing eye liner and gets a floating mask companion, I'm happy!

As for the FoC bit, I've never played it so I didn't know there was supposed to be any sort of connection. Why would the higher ups want a flawless continuity with Prime anyway? Isn't it healthier for the fans and franchise if each segment takes a life of it's own and becomes a unique fiction? I feel like that would allow for more creativity and excitement. But then again, I'm a big fan of the X-Men comics and everything is different in each book so I may be biased.

To @Chopperface, I like Airachnid too. Her introduction episode is one of my favorites in the show so far. I liked her creepy set up and even though she's clearly a black arachnia knock off, I appreciate her character. The only complaint I have is the dull repeated "DIE! DIE! DIE!" dynamic between her and Arcee. To your later point, I also like Arcee. I still don't think I actively hate any character in this show but some of their repetition is boring/frustrating.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Autobot Burnout

That might actually happen - depending on your interpretation of later events.

To understand what went wrong here, you need to understand what Aligned was supposed to be all along.

See, the foundation for Aligned was an in-house universe bible called the 'Binder of Revelation' which pretty much set up the groundwork guidelines for all future Transformers series. This was inherent to Aligned's true purpose: TO NEVER NEED A TRUE FULL REBOOT OF THE FRANCHISE EVER AGAIN. While WFC was genuinely intended to be a purely G1 thing, Hasbro shanghaied it into becoming the launching point for Aligned with the intention of shit not lining up perfectly.

You see, the entire idea behind Aligned's non-reboot purpose was to set up a new starting point, from which future continuities would branch off - like a tree. These child continuities would not be exactly in the line of duplicity of the origin (WFC, later FOC) but adhere to key guidelines to establish similarity and natural growth. Something like the concept of Dark Energon being a manufactured corruptible substance.

Only the Prime cartoon suddenly went 'fuck that' and did its own thing out of the starting gate by suddenly making Dark Energon a non-manufactured substance that was known as 'Unicron's Blood' - only later being established AS that fucker's blood for some reason. And then the show went and contradicted the Megatron origin from WFC (rising gladiator icon who goes right into Cybertron's Bolshevik revolution and not giving a damn about peaceful terms), instead making him some idiot senator type. And then Prime suddenly was Orion Pax, completely ignoring how WFC was trying to avoid that entirely (in WFC, he starts off as Optimus and only gains the Prime title after delivering the dead Sentinel to the council).

Then things get WORSE. Also in WFC, the corrupted Cybertron core/Primus gives Optimus the Matrix of Leadership as a piece of uncorrupted Cybertron, to take with the evacuating Autobots so they have a piece of home as they migrate to the stars. In Prime the damn thing is left abandoned on Cybertron for no reason.

To try and resolve the continuity errors, The Nemesis, as mentioned before, was intentionally designed to resemble the ship from Prime. Bumblebee suddenly loses the ability to talk between games. Teletraan-1 (the in-game shop) refers to Prime as Orion Pax by accident sometimes, despite that not having been his name in the previous game. They even had a comic mini-series desperately trying to explain how the ending of FOC could even remotely tie into where Prime ended up - and the comic itself turned out to be little more than FOC characters (mainly the Dinobots) vs a handful of toy only Predacons from the Prime Beast Hunters subline, doing nothing to explain how the two even remotely were in the same continuity.

What you say about unique fiction is true, and had Aligned turned out the way it was supposed to be done, then things would be much better. Instead, Hasbro gave the morons making Prime too free a hand (the toy division and the show division pretty much wouldn't talk to each other as was later found out), then when things started falling apart, they instead tried to force everything else to mesh with Prime's disjointed continuity, resulting in Aligned effectively becoming a linear continuity (the one thing it wasn't supposed to be) in a moment of panic and RID launched as a stop-gap successor series.

• Like Like x 3
  19. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

As soon as Hasbro said they had an aligned continuity that would keep EVERYTHING in the same continuity for five years, I knew it wouldn't happen. Because I used to be heavily into the Big Two comics (DC and Marvel) and I've seen this kind of optimist declaration before. It's just too hard when you're dealing with multiple content creators. Especially over different types of media (novels vs video games vs comics vs cartoon.)

Anyway, that's why it never upset me that Aligned didn't stay in continuity. I never expected it to.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

Except its been 7 years so far.....?

• Like Like x 1