Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Stay frosty and safe in Irma, Cap.

Nemesis Prime felt pretty blah to me. Just an Optimus repaint shooting soldiers offscreen. That was kinda amusing when Silas couldn't understand Bumblebee and that's how Bee saw through it. And yeah Fowler, the over the hill and out of shape ex-Ranger he was, holding his own against the fitter, buffer Silas was pretty cool. I liked that little camaraderie between Optimus and Fowler at the end of the episode. It's a cool little bond we sadly never really see anymore of.

Yeah, MECH's plan was kinda shocking at the time. It gets kinda grisly. Though how the hell did they sneak Silas' body out of there when the place was surrounded by choppers and Optimus and Fowler were right there? Optimus probably had to leave, fine, but how did Fowler miss it?

Other notes:

* Arcee: "Primes don't run!" ... unless they're under threat from a bunch of Steve's, then they surrender a chance to win the war.
    * Bulkhead defies the laws of physics.
    * Nice moment at the beginning of the episode when the Autobots are cheering on the kids' toy cars. Little moments that we almost never get in Prime.
    * The tension when Optimus got back to base was kinda... well, tense.

:bay 

• Like Like x 1
  2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Huh. So, I've just read over the continuity notes for the Nemesis Prime episode on the tfwiki and I'm actually impressed by this particular note;
    • Silas took a scan of Optimus at the end of "Convoy", which is evidently how he was able to produce a nearly-identical copy of him in this episode.
    This is something I didn't catch and had forgotten about. Meanwhile, I did catch that Fowler got sick while going through the portal like the kids in the five part opening series.

As for Fowler keeping up with Silas, it's Ernie Hudson, c'mon guys.

I also noticed in the 'errors' section that due to model recycling, Fowler has the same license plate as June Darby. Which only helps make this town seem even smaller since everyone shares the same car. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I like how janky the logic behind MECH building their own TF came about. So they scanned Optimus, yeah? That gave them a complete model of him. But when we see their in-progress TF, it's nothing like him. And when Silas sees Airachnid scan and duplicate her alt mode, he has an epiphany like "that's how it's done!" like her scanning the copter in any way gives a glimpse of how replication is done. Then they get a Transformation cog and that's the only part they couldn't replicate from Optimus? (again, ignoring how stupid "T-cogs" are as a concept) Fine, but then was scanning even that much of a discovery at all? Then magically they have a 100% accurate Nemesis Prime ready to go. It's all over the place as far as what MECH needed and what they actually discovered and implemented.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

And then it gets completely laid out in one episode.

• Like Like x 3
  5. CaptainSlayer

You have an amazing talent of putting things into perspective that I never came close to thinking of. Stop it. You're ruining my suspension of disbelief! (Never stop.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Fun Fact: The real reason why Optimus claims in the underground Energon deposits is because he actually was in underground with the Rescue Bots in their Second Season's 2 parter.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CaptainSlayer

I caught this on the wiki page as well. I've never seen Rescue Bots and haven't made the connection. D:

8. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    The only thing I can say is that the in-progress Chimera didn't look like Optimus probably just for spoiler reasons. Even then you're still on point.

Eh, we didn't either honestly, since that episode of Rescue Bots didn't air until about two years later! :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  9. CaptainSlayer

Grill

Alright, today's episode was fun. It was a wonderful callback to all the adventures we've bore witness too this far and showed the evolution of Fowler's attitude towards the Autobots, particularly Prime.

It was nice to see insight toward most of the cast from the military's perspective and to have the general ask some real questions about Megatron/Starscream being spared and so forth.

However, overall, there isn't much of a blog post to write about since we've already seen everything here before. In fact, all I can think of is that the general thought Unicron was Unicorn and Optimus Prime made quick work of their doubts and suspicions.

I think this is the first episode I've ever liked this much that I had absolutely nothing to say about!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Autobot Burnout

This is the last time anything is ever mentioned about Nemesis Prime. He is a fine example of how poorly this show performed when it came to delivering on what it promised, since we got at least four entire episodes dedicated to MECH actually building the damn thing and it gets laid out in one episode, then briefly mentioned in the immediate next episode, and that's it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah and Grill also ended the subplot that all Transformers were shoot on sight that started last episode. I guess we have AOE for that, though.

We didn't really get anything out of this episode, since it was a clip show thanks to behind the scenes budget issues. It was nice, like you said, to get more of Fowler's perspective and just more of his respect for the 'Bots after he had a Theodore Galloway-ish hatred of them in the pilot. Fowler is easily one of my favorite human characters in the franchise so honestly I'll happily accept all we can get with him. And thankfully unlike another favorite of mine, Captain Fanzone, he didn't get demoted to extra as the show went on.

There is some foreshadowing in this episode you'll pick up on in the weeks/episodes ahead.

Optimus showing a shred of humanity in greeting General Bryce was, again, a shred, but a little amusing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Autobot Burnout

Fanzone literally got his own episode - granted, it was his descending into his own personal hell, but still, worth it for that squeaky Grandus voice.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah and I remember being pleasantly surprised that he got that. Even in season two he was way less prominent. I remember though that Hasbro issued an executive order asking them to pretty much remove humans from season three, though. Poor Fanzone got the bat too.

And oh my god yes. "This is what hell looks like to Captain Fanzone" is one of the best TF Wiki captions ever.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I still can't believe this show had a clip show episode. In 2012.

And then it had another, even more horrible one.

• Like Like x 3
  15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A NON-anime doing a clip show, in 2012 (or when was this), that was inexcusable. TV shows have stopped doing this sort of thing ages ago and only very, very low budget cartoons ever did it, usually for a filler. They should have just cut one episode and have the season be shorter.
    Remember when Star Trek TNG did a clip show, ONCE, in season one? They learned their lesson from the viewer backlash and never did it, ever, again. Not just on TNG, but later shows as well.

I randomly saw this thread and it reminded me how much better RID is than Prime ever was... Man, Silas and MECH, that whole plot line that got built up and then went out with a whimper, not a bang. And so many others. I really do not miss Orci/Kurtzmann and their sort of series/season planning. I can only guess what they do on the live action shows they write for.
    I watched each Prime episode only once, and that was enough forever, I think. Not one episode made me want to go back and rewatch it... something I have done to many, many RID episodes, not to mention Animated.
    If I would have to rate Prime, I would say it is around the same level - or slightly below - than Beast Wars Season 1, before the show became more deep and better planned out for a whole season-wide story arc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    After watching *THAT* scene from later in the series again (ep 58), I can easily say that Miko is best and most fun human character to watch in Transformers. She's not perfect by any means but that makes her the most entertaining.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    How, though?

• Like Like x 1
  18. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but I thought might want to know this little fun fact. I thought you would have recognized it earlier, being a Bayformers fan and all but that's fine considering how little The Fallen did in ROTF.

Tony Todd who voiced The Fallen in ROTF is actually the voice of Dreadwing in Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I can't here without spoiling. Raf and Jack are too normal and boring to me. Miko is unpredictable and has the toughest most determined personality out of the three in Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I found Jack boring (but Nurse Darby is awesome). I didn't mind Raf, but Miko is my favorite of the kids. She has the most zest for life.