Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Star Seeker

Haven't been keeping up with the thread as much as I wanted to but I'll try to be up to date from here on.

So yeah Breakdown's spot is replaced by Dreadwing. As much as I liked the guy I think gaining Dreadwing was a decent trade. As for Knockout well stay tuned.

Something I really loved about this episode was how Megatron handled the situation. Unlike other versions who find themselves beneath challenges this one came to finish her off. The pride of a warrior is one of his greatest attributes. Thank goodness for Dreadwing being there to help him in the end.

Starscream was great too, and something to note is that he and Megatron both have a high sense of honor. He could've killed Arcee but because she spared him back in Partners he returned the favor, and it was nice to see him get payback on Airachnid. Starscream's arc in this season is one of the best parts and I can't wait for you to watch it unfold. As for the whole missile thing it's because he can fire missiles without having to transform his arms. It's like a switch system when toys can fire projectiles.

Now how about that fight with the Insecticon? It's nice to see Megatron in action and show off his skills on someone who isn't Optimus.

All in all an excellent episode and I can't wait to see your thoughts on the next one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I find it odd that he treats it like some kind of loss when it literally didn't affect Bumblebee in any way. He can still talk and be understood by literally everyone, and he can still vocalize, and it's never been brought up before as something that ruins his life or anything. he doesn't seem to care one bit that he "can't talk." It makes literally no sense that he's "lost his voice" when he hasn't.

This also brings up the utter stupidity of the concept of Transformation cogs, that all of transformation is controlled by one part and impossible without it. So, Bumblebee can't just transform manually? He can't for the life of him deploy his blasters without that piece of his body buried within his torso? So if a TF, hypothetically, needs to bend their knees for transformation, does that mean without the cog they can't walk?

Man, so much for that backstory between him and Bulky, huh?

Was it really that brutal? There was no "robot blood" or anything that gruesome, so it's about as or less graphic than any other death thus far. Ultra Magnus' attack in TFA was more brutal than this because that show actually showed restraint and didn't have characters ripped apart or gunned down on a weekly basis, so when Ultra Magnus was shown utterly pulverized it was more of a shock. Plus his attack actually had story significance and marked a change in the status quo. He wasn't just killed for shock value, no pun intended.

Also, the only reason Breakdown was killed off was because his VA was too expensive.

He doesn't. Because characters reacting to or being changed by events threatens the status quo.

Those flip-flopping moral messages, though. Good ol' boring-ass morally-infallible Optimus, never one to suffer any real internal conflict of any kind. Optimus would never kill a defenseless Megatron! It was a win for the Autobots that he was left alive in Rock Bottom for sure!

Did he fire with his gun or missile? Because if it was a missile it'd make sense since his arm doesn't need to transform for that, unlike Bumblebee's blasters. Honestly I can't remember these later season 2 episodes. The show was getting hard to follow at this point. Not much was really happening, no episode left any sort of impact, the character weren't undergoing any arcs or changes that felt natural or amount to anything. Things happen, but nothing happens, y'know?

Even though it almost screwed him over but good?

Not so much pride as short-sighted pettiness.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

This is the episode that really started to make me disillusioned with the show - remember all that stuff between him and Bulkhead?

ABSOLUTELY WASTED

They set Breakdown up for some interesting plots and then just threw him away. All in the interest of glorifying that stupid spider mary sue bitch.

Aside from Megatron (who is a constant dumbass), Airachnid (the worst robot character in transforimers history if you ask me), and one other character who I won't reveal for spoiler reasons, the Decepticons as a whole actually are the stronger written characters in this show. Dreadwing especially.
    Plot contrivance.

Keep this in mind for how they interact later.
    Just going to let you know that if Airachnid and Arcee EVER show up in an episode, this is literally all that will happen between them. It's explicitly the ONLY reason Airachnid ever existed to begin with; to make Angsty Arcee a thing and it never changes.

Keep in mind how much Megatron had trouble against the ONE insecticon.This is going to matter significantly later on though for reasons I highly disagree with on a plot basis.

Pretty much. There's actually not really any other reason why they don't make him permamently part of Team Prime given Prime himself is, y'know, technically THE SUPREME AUTOBOT COMMANDER and could just order WJ to stay put to bolster their numbers. It's never explicitly stated what he even does on his own.

Tell Gary hi for me (after you've reduced his colossally fat ass to smithereens of course)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    See... I like Crossfire, but it's also got some major flaws.

Breakdown's death (RIP big guy, still miss you) was shocking just because we were certain there was so much more to do with him. His backstory with Bulkhead? Starscream telling him that one day he'll have to pick a side? Gone.

And yep, that's right Cap, Wheeljack is basically Tigatron in that he won't be around every episode. Though we don't actually learn what he's up to.

The morality of this episode is pretty all over the place. Optimus says it's cool they didn't kill the helpless Starscream, but later is really about to do it to Megs. It does carry over from his earlier promise to kill Megs, but still it's pretty shaky. Also Optimus withdraws under threat of Steve's? Lame. And people give Beast Machines crap for neither Rattrap or Megs finishing each other off. At least that came with genuine character development and lessons. This was just lame.

And yeah this is one of Arcee's worst moments in the series for the "my partners are dead" crap. Bleh.

Other notes:

* Megs vs the Insecticon, despite the once again weak choreography, was cool. Just a gorilla beating his chest and showing why he's King Kong.
    * Bulkhead actually won't learn about Breakdown's death for quite some time.
    * I miss you Breakdown!! :( 

Next episode addresses one of your comments about an ongoing subplot.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    It's implied that Wheeljack has been looking around, and documenting where Decepticon Energon mines are located in the event this info becomes necessary. He reveals this in "Hurt."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Guess I forgot about that considering how inconsequential that ended up being. It wasn't even relevant to the one or two episodes it was brought up in. Megs didn't care that Jackie blew up that mine and was more pissed about Hardshell lying to him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

RIP Breakdown.

PS Your toy is ridiculously expensive.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol!

Anyway,great blog.

9. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

To those mentioning how all the backstory between Breakdown and Bulkhead was completely thrown out, I find it odd that that sentiment doesn't bother me in the least.

I'm not sure why but I don't have any conflicting emotion over that arc of the show being explored further. It's not that I wouldn't have liked to see it but I also don't feel cheated by it being tossed out.

I think it might be because of how sudden Breakdown's death was. I like the idea of mortality being a very real thing among the Transformers and that they can be decommissioned at a moments notice.

Now, I'm not knocking those who wanted to explore this further. I felt similarly with stories in Beast Wars and Animated that never concluded. But I personally feel that their past had served it's purpose enough to establish a rivalry in the show... which, I guess we really didn't need with Arcee and Airachnid but whose counting?

• Like Like x 3
  10. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Probably because we never get any context as to why they hate each other so much. I'm not a big fan of the Arcee/Airachnid storyline, but at least that episode had a flashback scene that provides us with background info on their rivalry and hence a good reason as to why they'd hate each other. With Bulkhead and Breakdown we had a vague passing mention here and there on how "they go way back" but other then that, nothing. To have a good rivalry, there must be a good motivation for one to hate the other.

In G1, Omega Supreme hates the Constructicons for turning against him and destroying his city. (Never comes up again, but still.)

In BW, Depth Charge hates Rampage for killing (and apparently eating) an entire colony he was protecting.

In BM, Blackarachnia hates Jetstorm because she can't have her love back until he goes away for good.

In Animated, Ratchet hates Lockdown for torturing him and taking away someone he was protecting. Wasp hates Bumblebee for framing him years ago.

In Prime, Arcee hates Starscream and Airachnid for killing (both) of her partners.

What happened between Bulkhead and Breakdown? With Breakdown's untimely death, we may never know. Kinda astonishing how Prime's writers forgot to give both of them an identifiable motivation, literally the important thing about creating a good character.

• Like Like x 5
  11. CaptainSlayer

I can see your point and I feel it important to note that I agree with you. However, the lack of depth doesn't seem to phase me. I'm not upset by it. Breakdown and Bulkhead are also two of my favorite characters in the show, the former more than the latter admittedly. So as I said, I would have loved to have seen some more lore between the two of them but I'm not upset that there wasn't much/any. I don't know why I feel that way. I will miss the patch eyed hammer guy - a lot.

Also, have I mentioned that Prime Starscream reminds me of Terrorsaur from Beast Wars? Here's hoping if Scream meets a similar fate it isn't as quick and unjustified as Terrors...

12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    To be fair, the show had all but ceased dropping hints about it because they knew they had to kill him off. Better to quietly drop a plot point than resolve it, even if it would've been rushed, it would've saved the writers looking like fools.

*cough*

The fate which befalls Starscream is far worse. I'd have honestly preferred if he died.

• Like Like x 3
  13. CaptainSlayer

I'm just going to like your post for the ominous cough since quoting it will lead me to seeing that spoiler - which is now me expecting Starscream to be nothing but a pair of boots before long.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CaptainSlayer

New episode coming today. Had a busy weekend of Destiny 2, IT and errands. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Pay attention at the very beginning of the episode, there's a little throwaway Easter egg that, shall we say, rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CaptainSlayer

Nemesis Prime

Dammit. I didn't catch the Easter Egg at the start of the episode that @Chopperface mentioned (didn't see the post until now) but I look at the wiki page to see what it was and now I'm going to have to rewatch the episode. I was starving and eating a lunchable so I blame the chewing for not hearing it xD!

Starting off, I was certain that Nemesis Prime was going to be a sort of Lycanthropy in Optimus that the Decepticons had installed while he was Orion Pax. But that faded away after Nemesis showed up while the real Prime was back at base. I had figured it was M.E.C.H by the time he was raiding the air base, I mean, how could it be the real Nemesis Prime if he didn't have purple crayola across his face? /s

The rest of the episode was pretty easy to figure out as it was happening as well. I thought for sure I had the entire formula down and while I was having fun watching there weren't any real surprises.

UNTIL THE FUCKING END WHERE THEY'RE IN THE PROCESS OF FUSING SILUS INTO BREAKDOWN'S BODY. I'M HAPPY TO HAVE THE HAMMER GUY BACK BUT LIKE THIS!?

Ahem. I mean they did a wonderful job throwing me off and that also evens the odds with M.E.C.H against the cons and bots.

Unfortunately, since the remnants of Hurricane Irma are pouring down outside my house right now I'm not able to charge my laptop and make more points on this episode so I'm being rather direct.

As always, thank you for reading and stay safe everyone!

• Like Like x 6
  17. CaptainSlayer

Annnnnd my laptop died as I was adding this episode to the season 2 list. :rolleyes: 

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

During the final battle, you know how Silas has his hands full fighting off Fowler, as in a physically fit commando actually has trouble fighting off a slightly overweight, out of shapeguy? Kind of a mark of badassery there to Fowler for lasting so long.

But more importantly, Silas is away from the controls for Nemmy at least for like, five minutes, meaning Nemesis Prime is standing completely still and doing nothing. But it isn't until Fowler reveals he was a distraction that Prime actually notices Nemesis is stationary. Meaning for maybe five minutes, Prime still thought a lifeless metal husk was somehow a threat or otherwise also stood around like a piece of cardboard doing nothing.

THE PAIN FINALLY BEGINS. It only gets worse from here.

• Like Like x 2
  19. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

To be fair, the fight didn't last that long and Optimus was clearly recovering from his injury.

So, so true.:ev: 

• Like Like x 2
  20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Awww fuck yeah, next episode is the best one of the whole show!

• Like Like x 6