Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I'm not going to quote you out of fear of seeing that spoiler but I think Orion was different in that he trusted those around him and it showed that even without being a Prime, he had a good spark. Even when he thought he was on the Decepticon's side, he still questioned everything and sought the truth. He tried to warn the Autobots that Megatron planned to harm them even though he thought they were the enemy.

Someone said earlier that Prime was supposed to follow what it's like to be a Prime and that the show kind of dropped the ball on it. I think this goes back to expectation versus reality. Each time I review one of these shows, I have no expectation of what it will be. I haven't read/watched/heard anything about the series and I just go in looking to be entertained and in most cases, it pays off.

It's been stated before that that's the reason I love the bay films so much. I didn't know how unfaithful they were to Transformers, so I loved them. I expected nothing and I walked away happy.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall:

So one thing that was promised by Lion's theme song to TFTM was that they (the Autobots & Decepticons) would have to stand together to defeat Unicron.

"So we have to pull together
    We can't stay worlds apart
    To stand divided we will surely fall
    Until our darkest hour
    When the light will save us all

TRANSFORMERS!!
    ROBOTS IN DISGUISE!! YEAH!!"

Got a little caught up in it there for a second. :p 
    But yeah! Even the tag line on the poster hints at this supposed teamup.

"Beyond good. Beyond evil. Beyond your wildest imagination."

So Unicron is beyond any of the good or evil characters we've ever seen on the show. And Lion says they need to come together until all are one to defeat Unicron. Galvatron even says as much to Hot Rod when trapped inside Unicron. And Rodimus proclaims the end of the war like, like there was some grave threat that forced everyone to come together & forget about what color badge they wore. Like they all just fought against a god & came out alive. Like it was this giant life-affirming moment.

Except they didn't. And it wasn't. Yeah, everyone fought Unicron, but there was never a moment where they fought together. The bots & cons were never shown fighting side by side. They never had a moment where anyone had a real team-up. The movie never delivered on its promise to bring them all together & fulfill the prophecy of "til all are one." And so it's no surprise that when season 3 started, the Decepticons are shown in exile. That's the final nail in the coffin right there.

So when TF:p rime brought Unicron in, I was immensely satisfied with how the whole team-up was handled. The fact that there even was a team-up. I loved seeing Megatron resist Unicron's torture & mind control: something G1's toy marketing wouldn't allow its Megatron to do, instead reducing his final moments to groveling in pain & fear. I loved how we got to see everyone grudgingly working with Megatron, not one of them trusting him, seeing how great he & Optimus fought alongside each other, seeing their history from the early days. It made the team-up feel personal instead of just a matter of convenience for two enemies.

In short- it did what TFTM promised & failed to do. And I love it for that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I never disliked this three-parter, I thought it was pretty good. Though I do wish they'd played Orion Pax as being a bit more "different" from Optimus Prime (aside from his naivety). I also wish Megatron had actively tried to recruit him to his side. Like, he could have had Soundwave put together a propaganda video showing the horrors the "evil Autobots" had perpetrated. We know the Wreckers are no angels, I'm sure it wouldn't have been that hard to find some footage of them violently pounding bots into scrapmetal. It would have been cool if Optimus had slowly, over the course of a season, realized that he was on the wrong side.

But that's not a complaint of "it was bad", just "I would have done it differently." (And that's what fanfic is for.)

@Mako Crab I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed when the Decepticons and Autobots didn't really 'team up' side by side in TFTM. Yeah, everyone attacked Unicron together at the end, but I wanted to see them actively cooperating--travelling on ships TOGETHER to find the Macguffin of Killing Unicron and all that. We got more Autobot/Decepticon cooperation in that episode where Optimus somersaults Megatron into his arms and uses his gun mode to shoot Insecticons.

• Like Like x 4
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I don't think blind trust in everyone who tells you they're trustworthy is really a sign of being a good person, it's a sign of being foolish.

And... that's still not really a personality. He had the same mannerisms, same tone, he was literally Optimus except an idiot. The show had thoroughly established him as a stick in the mud, so this would've been a great opportunity for Pax to be a more chill, informal kinda guy who makes bolder decisions and show a contrast between then and now.

Because really, there was no point in Optimus losing his memories and becoming Pax. Pax did not factor in at all, they could've easily just gotten project Iacon decoded someway else. Maybe Optimus is just brainwashed? Why bring up his past and do nothing at all with it?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah. I would've rather seen Orion Pax return to the Autobots & go the entire season re-learning how to be a leader. Give him his memories back at the end of the season or something. Have Ratchet or Arcee stand in as leader in the interim. Shake it up a bit.

But... I did love his, "Megatron, begone!" moment, so you know... it's a trade off. :) 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    "Megatron, begone" was the most painful line of dialogue in the series.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    You shut yer dirty mouth! That line was awesome!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The problem there is that the show was incredibly vague as to how far Prime had actually lost his memories to the point he thought he was Pax. In part 3, Ratchet outright says that Orion Pax was an idealist who was a devout follower of Megatron, who actually outright stuck right behind Megsy right up to the point the latter barged into the council and demanded the title of Prime, before usurping the title himself completely unintentionally because he happened to have a knack for public speaking and charmed the old guys (which makes you really think about how if Megatron had made that speech, there really isn't anything suggesting he wouldn't have gotten the Prime title that way).

The show doesn't play up this supposed old relationship whatsoever. Sure, Megatron insures he comes across as a friendly guy for all of five seconds more or less, but he used to be Pax's idol to the point of not even questioning him. Pax's attempts to undermine Megatron could have been all averted had Megatron simply not been a fucking dumbass and treated Prime as an underling as opposed to an ideological equal like he easily did in the past when he actually had respect for the closest thing to a friend he ever really had at the time.

Like, there isn't even a moment of Prime introspection reflecting on why the council chose him to be the Prime over Megatron after Megatron shows his true colors while Prime is still Pax in the episode.
    I unfortunately don't have the link but it was I who said that...because that was word for word what was promised by the show runners. I wouldn't harp on it nearly as hard as I do had it not come straight from their mouths in the first place.

Prime's problem is that it isn't true to the franchise (that alone is a whole can of worms discussion based on how terribly the show connects back to WFC/FOC, literally the one job it was supposed to do and fails at miserably), it isn't that good as it wanted or could have been on the merits of being a cartoon on the level of Beast Wars or Animated.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Much like Cap, I had a vastly different experience watching the three parter play out from the majority of viewers. I was part of the Formspring RP and we continued on after the season 1 finale ended. So for us, it was actually 5 real-time months without Optimus. So I was happy that Optimus was back. :lol  doesn't excuse the plot reset but it's why it doesn't grind my gears that much.

The brief fight between Megs and the three 'bots was... lame. All it amounted to was just Megs knocking each Autobot across the room one by one. No finesse, no choreography. Just simple punching. In hindsight, the scene in TLK where Hound goes "I'm gonna blow your head off, Megatron! Sayonara, bubblehead!" reminded me a lot of when Bulkhead tackled Megs with "you're going down, buckethead!"

Also I thought Ratchet was going to bite it towards the end when he tried to slow down Megs when he went after Jack and Orion. But despite the odd focus on Ratchet, he gets swatted away again. Meh.

I will say it was kinda interesting to see Ratchet step up as acting team leader. And it was fun to play him during that three parter. On Formspring we continued arguing after the episode and it was just a great team moment for us roleplayers. Also it was nice to get a group shot of all five Autobots at the end of the episode when Ratchet says "long story."

• Like Like x 1
  10. CaptainSlayer

Operation Bumblebee

Every time it seems like Starscream has something going for him it blows up in his face. The seeker teaming up with M.E.C.H never crossed my mind and as it was established I was excited to see how far their dynamic could go - apparently the answer was only two episodes.

I'm disappointed by the constant failure of Starscream even though I know it's always been an integral part of the character. To me, he seems to have everything it takes to really become a force to be reckoned with be it for the Autobots, Decepticons or himself and yet he still manages to have everything he grasps slip right through his slender demonic fingers.

It is interesting to see how he continues to extend himself into the story and I'm curious as to how we will come across him the next time around with his ability to transform being absent. He can't fly up and infiltrate the Decepticon Warship, he can't attack the Autobots whenever he comes across them and he certainly can't outrun either team so who knows what will happen. (Well, I'm assuming almost all of you know but let's pretend you don't.)

That said, Ratchet and Bumblebee are two of my favorite Transformers characters of all time so this double entry was a welcome focus on the duo. Ironically, when Ratchet rolled up to the school to pick up Raf, my first thought was "Oh wow, he's in vehicle mode" and I realized just how little we get to see the medic as an ambulance outside of the opening credits. It seemed like a decent foreshadow of him losing that ability later in the episode except... that never happens.

I was proud of the old timer for seeing the logic behind donating his T-cog to Bumblebee and to be honest, I supported the idea. Ratchet doesn't leave the base much and is much more valuable to the team back home anyway though I would feel upset if he was unable to fight with those arm blades in future episodes. Which actually brings up my next though, does Ratchet not use his transformation to make tools on his hands like he did in G1? Maybe I'm imagining it but if so, I think his T-cog is actually very important to his role of medic.

If Bee were any other bot, I'd be annoyed by his Miko-esque abandonment and disregard of direct orders. But seeing him using an old ass truck as a scooter to chase down a sports care was entertaining and I think the crew of the show really helped sell the importance of his speed in the opening scene when he snagged the spark extractor from Megatron -in the middle of a ground bridge-.

The flashback scene also earned the kid bot respect for continuing to reject information to the Decepticons even as he was beaten and mutilated. Though I find it a bit odd that Ratchet wasn't able to patch his voice box yet somehow fixes his T-Cog after it's literally blasted by Starscream - a former second in command of the Decepticons.

As for Mech, I'm hoping to see more of their project. I'm hopeful that they complete their man-former and we get a new character in the roster as the current set is getting a bit stale to me (Maybe I was spoiled by Beast Wars and G1?).

Also, I mentioned the Shen Gong Wu artifacts from Xiolin Showdown earlier in this blog and someone mentioned that I would get that same feeling later on. I picked it up from this episode with all the artifacts the Transformers were chasing down so was this the part they were referencing?

Shout out to Bulkhead for totally smashing an ancient relic that did dope shields and stuff instead of trying to pick it up. That's uh, that's the way to handle it. I guess Ratchet did say he was better at breaking stuff.

OH YEAH - woozy drugged up Ratchet coming out of stasis totally reminded me of the time all the Decepticons got wasted on energon in G1 as well. Also, Starscream's self mutilation to summon a faux-former was pretty metal.

I think that's it.

Thanks for reading everyone and happy Wednesday! :D 

• Like Like x 7
  11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Oh Operation Bumblebee is a good 2 parter, and plus Ratchet says Bantor and his beast mode of a Mandrill/Tiger Fuzor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autobot Burnout

Do not look up the Japanese Arms Micron line because now it's rather spoilery in more than one way. One significantly greater than the other.

WELCOME TO SEASON 2!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I remember not being able to catch either episode of this two parter until after it aired, and even then I missed that opening scene where Bee stole the Spark extractor from Megs. Huh. I didn't think this two parter was that bad. It had some fun moments but also some weak moments. Middle of the road for me.

One amusing note is that when asked why Bee can't speak, one of the showrunners said "we'll reveal it in season 2" to create suspens. Only for another showrunner to ruin it by saying it was the same reason as the Aligned novel Exodus, and by extension, the movies - that Megs damaged Bee and destroyed his voice box. Whoops.

I remember this being a fun outing for Knock Out and Breakdown; Bulkhead initially saying he'll deal with KO since Bee lost his T-cog, but immediately upon seeing Breakdown changed his mind. :lol  And also poor Breakdown saying "so Megs wants me to use my hammer to unearth this hammer so he can make more hammers". Poor guy. :lol  And yes Bee riding that old truck was hysterical in how ridiculous it was. Oh and I loved Bulkhead's one-liner, "Mine's bigger!"

As Ratchet's roleplayer I was pretty peeved when it looked like it would surrender his T-Cog, precisely for the concern you mentioned, that he needs his T-Cog to transform his hands into his welder or whatever. Thinking about it again, I've seen him use other handheld tools, though, so meh.

I won't go into detail for spoiler reasons but some of your comments and concerns about the show are going to be addressed - some very soon, in fact.

Also the animation is getting really pretty by this point, I can't deny.

• Like Like x 2
  14. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

The action was good, but this might be my favorite bit:

• Like Like x 6
  15. CaptainSlayer

I'm about to write up my entry for Loose Cannons but had to reply to this first - I loved this part of the episode. It's one of the things I'd forgotten to mention and I'm glad you brought it back up. It had me cheesin' the whole time.

• Like Like x 3
  16. CaptainSlayer

Loose Cannons

There seems to be a recurring theme in these blogs that I somehow have the ability to predict the future. Like, maybe it's a super power but the draw back is that it only works for Transformers cartoons. In my last entry on Wednesday for Operation: Bumblebee I made an off comment that I was getting pretty bored with the current line up of characters and in literally the very next episode we get the return of Wheeljack and a new Seeker who I'm fairly certain hasn't been in one of the shows I've seen before, Dreadwing.

I'll start off by saying that my first impression of Wheeljack when he showed up in Season One was that he was a very cool badass. In fact, I still feel that way but at the same time it's a bit hard to get used to his character being portrayed in such a way after being familiar with the G1 counter-part. I'm assuming, by the conclusion of this episode, that the character is going to be staying around on at least a semi-regular basis like Tigatron in Beast Wars. I'm very down with that and happy to see more of him.

I would have also been happy to see more of Seaspray than a generic starship that looked just like Jackhammer with a different color scheme. I would have loved to meet a new wrecker with a bubbly voice. Which reminds me, the Prime team really have an odd cast of characters acting as a glorified Black Ops division. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed Cosmos and Perceptor to be the leaders of the wreckers.

As for Dreadwing, I really like this guy. I was bummed when Skyquake died in his reveal episode and his twin brother has already grown on me. The massive chaingun-like blaster he uses reminds me of Jorge from Halo: Reach and I absolutely love it. At least this time when he had wings before scanning a jet it showed him as a flight vehicle prior to that in a flash back scene.

Optimus also impressed once again by proving he is the master of claw machine games.

Despite how cool the closing shot of Wheeljack turning into his vehicle mode was, I have to say my favorite clip of this one was when Megatron annoyingly rolled his eyes while stating that Optimus Prime wasn't so easily defeated. He granted Dreadwing permission to pursue his revenge fully expecting him to die in the process. It was a win-win for him either way.

He also totally said "loyalty like yours is hard to come by" to the new seeker while his boy Soundwave was just standing in the back. 'You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone' comes to mind. :p 

Thanks for reading everyone and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend! :D 

• Like Like x 6
  17. Autobot Burnout

Outside of me bring critical of the animators being too lazy to even give Seaspray a model (something Makeshift got away with even if it was cloaked in shadow), I actually thought Loose Cannons was an alright episode.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah Loose Cannons is a pretty solid episode, particularly because of Dreadwing.

This episode is also the proper introduction to Wheeljack. Last time we didn't get to really know him since most of the episode he was captured, and this episode remedies that. You get a hint he's just a loner jerk because he'd rather not lose more friends.

Also since it doesn't spoil anything, I'll let you know what the plan for Seaspray was. He was originally going to later turn up alive, but he would've been far from bubbly. He would've been a grizzled, psychotic old Captain Quint from Jaws type character, who would've whistled as he hunted Decepticons. But yeah his lack of presence was disappointing. As was the immediate crop dusting of Pyro, Rotorstorm, and Roadbuster. Can't have anybody else in the universe!

Otherwise, the events with Skyquake are brought back up, and will continue to be a recurring plot point. And finally they get some mileage out of that model with Dreadwing. A board member here actually called it all a year in advance, that Dreadwing (we knew of the character's name early) would be a repainted of Skyquake so they can properly use his animation model.

Oh and yes, Megatron being annoyed that Dreadwing thinks he can kill Optimus was funny. "I will be quite surprised if we set eyes upon Dreadwing again!" :lol 

Other notes:
    * Optimus being too damn big for Wheeljack's ship was amusing.
    * Poor Fowler, keeps getting his vehicles scanned.
    * The episode benefited from a relatively small cast. The kids, Knock Out, Breakdown, and Airachnid were absent; hell the other Autobots were barely in it. Only important characters were Dreadwing, Wheeljack, Bulkhead, and Optimus, with Megs and Fowler in supporting roles.
    * We get a new locale with the shipyard. It's not important at all, just a small touch to give the show a new backdrop. New piece of musical score while Dreadwing is chasing Optimus too.

Next episode is a big one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CaptainSlayer

I would have loved to see Seaspray and until you mentioned it, I actually forgot about the invisible model lol.

While I would have liked Seaspray to have a model, I'm not sure if I'd like that version of him. Also, I vaguely remember a horror movie where the killer did a whistle before he showed up... I think it just had a bunch of teens in it and at the end of the movie you think the killers dead but one of the kids does the whistle. Am I imagining this?

Also, I'd forgotten about Optimus being squashed in the ship. That was funny!

Writing up my entry for Crossfire now!

• Like Like x 1
  20. CaptainSlayer

Crossfire

I'm surprised the Autobots didn't start shooting at each other in this episode because it was pretty much just an all out brawl... and I liked it!

I was wondering how long Megatron planned on keeping Airachnid around after her little speech but I didn't expect him to leave the dirty work to Dreadwing and Breakdown (r.i.p). I'm pretty bummed that the latter got killed off because he was one of my favorite characters in the show, I do appreciate how brutal his dismantling was and I'm hopeful they will fill his slot with someone else. I'm curious how Knockout will react to the passing of his friend?

Dreadwing continues to impress and is easily my favorite member of the Decepticons at the moment. It feels right to have a seeker as the right hand of Megatron again and his chaingun blaster is my favorite weapon in the show this far.

As for Starscream, I still feel for him being left on his own and I'm glad that Optimus mentioned that he didn't condone the elimination of any defenseless being (even though he almost offs Megatron soon after, a decision I would have agreed with). With that being said, how the hell was he able to fire on Airachnid near the end of the episode considering he's missing his T-cog which disarmed Bumblebee when he was missing his? Shout out to him for being honorable enough to spare Arcee in return of her doing the same before.

Speaking of Arcee, her whole 'AIRACHNID IS MINE HURRHURR' bullshit showed up again this episode and once again is old.

I'm curious how the Insecticons ended up on Earth and I'm assuming this might be the start of the Predacon faction (judging by the title of one of the blu-rays I bought) but I could be wrong. If one Insecticon is enough to give Megatron a run for his money, I'm hoping an army proves even more powerful and may lead to the Cons and Bots teaming up again like they did with Unicron.

M.E.C.H managed to get their hands back on Breakdown's bits and pieces so I'm assuming that Humanformer might be coming along well pretty soon and I'm looking forward to that.

I think that about covers everything for today. Wheeljack was missing which was odd considering just last episode he was still around so maybe the Tigatron theory is right? He just shows up when they need him?

Oh, before I go, there won't be an episode entry this Wednesday as my wife and I will be busy jumping into Destiny 2. But I will pick back up the schedule this Friday!

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you're all enjoying your long weekends!

<3

• Like Like x 4