Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

TFP Optimus Prime just seems perpetually tired and sad to me. This tiny group of Autobots is all he has left from his entire army. I get the sense that he's putting on a brave face, but secretly thinks it's hopeless.

He's not that engaging, but his low-key presence actually makes him one of the more tolerable Optimi to me. (TFA Optimus is my favorite however. Making him a rookie was brilliant.) What annoys me about most Optimi is the way the other Autobots hero-worship him and that "father knows best" air he usually has. In TFP the other Autobots admire him, sure, but he's not so much on a pedestal and they're perfectly willing to argue with him when they disagree.

• Like Like x 4
  2. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I had assumed since they were shooting at them that the 'not an immediate threat' rule gets thrown out the window. That being said, I don't recall the first episode well enough to remember miners being decapitated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Are they, though? I feel like that almost never happens unless the plot needs it to. In fact, they often do put him on a proverbial pedestal quite often.

Also, what seems and what gives you a sense of his character doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. It seems more to me the character is simply written as completely bland and his personality and flat delivery just gives the implication of perpetual sadness by accident rather than design, and for as much as this show actually focuses on Optimus that aspect is never addressed or shown to hold weight. If he was in a state of perpetual depression, that's something you make a point of or show the effects of. If he's not, then you really need to offer a contrast at times to show that he is tired and sad most of the time, and that it is a state of mind and not just poor writing and voice direction.

Up until now, there has never even been a hint that the miners were anything but normal Vehicons outfitted for digging. They acted exactly the same and were treated exactly the same until this episode where they needed Ratchet to cross a line. But because they can't get too brutal, new specific circumstances needed to be invented so his torture of an enemy could be seen as even more distasteful than if he'd just tortured a random grunt Vehicon.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. CaptainSlayer

Hello guys and girls!

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be posting the last few episodes of season one today or tomorrow (after the eclipse of course!)

Been busy this weekend and haven't had time to sit down and watch the four or five episodes in one go.

Thank you for your patience!

• Like Like x 4
  5. CaptainSlayer

One Shall Fall & One Shall Stand

Alright, that's a lot of Transformers to take in. Thankfully, it's good Transformers. Hmm, I'm not even sure where to start. I guess we can go with the reveal I made before ever starting the blog which is the fact that I already knew Unicron was the Earth in Transformers: Prime.

I learned this by watching a review video of Transformers: The Last Knight with Andre the Black Nerd and a woman whose name is escaping me at the moment. The spoiler was minimal in that I didn't know how or why it happened nor how the story would play out but I honestly believed it would be near the end of the show and not a season one conclusion.

In the starting episode, One Shall Fall, I expect Optimus Prime to die. It's basically a right of passage in almost every Transformers medium that Optimus Prime dies and is either replaced or revived, in some cases, both. I also thought Megatron might be the one to fall briefly before realizing he's already died... twice, I think?

I'm assuming the episode title referred to Raf getting messed up which pulled at my heart strings due to Bumblebee's reaction due to only being able to watch while also feeling guilty for the entire situation in the first place - which let's face it, all he was doing was taking Raf out to play, he didn't expect any of that to happen.

The fight scenes with Optimus and Megatron are probably my favorite in the series this far. Seeing them go at it with Optimus dead set on killing Megatron was wonderful but seeing them back to back while going after Unicron's core was even better. One of my favorite things about Tranformers: Prime is that the action is easy to follow, they even slow the scene down for heavy packed shots. You can keep up with whose dishing out the damage and whose taking it.

OH. BY THE WAY. What an absolutely PHENOMENAL coincidence that this part of the show predominately features a full solar eclipse from all the planets aligning and I watched it JUST HOURS AFTER WATCHING A FULL SOLAR ECLIPSE IN PERSON. Seriously, I live in the path of totality and it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. My wife and I sat outside, watched day become night, felt the temperature drop a good 10-15 degrees, saw bats and heard crickets come out and then listened to roosters crow as the 'sun came up'. It was awesome and beautiful. I was beside myself when the show showed the eclipse. I loved it!

Now, back to speaking about Unicron for a minute, when I found out he was the Earth in Transformers: The Last Knight, I groaned. I thought it was stupid and seeing Quintessa go up to one of his horns at the end was also stupid. I expected to hate the idea in Prime but I didn't. Not at all actually. In the show, they take the time to explain -why- Unicron is the Earth and it actually makes sense. So does his reaction to calling all of us parasites, which by the way, shout out to Optimus Prime for trying to talk things over with the Chaos Bringer. I'm glad that worked out.

My wife watched this set with me and I kept saying "the decepticons are going to save them" during the battle with the giant rock golem Unicron. To be fair, I expected the entire Decepticon armada but seeing Megatron headshot that fool was just as satisfying. I knew he wasn't going to stand by and let Unicron boss him around like that. One of my favorite things about the G1 film is Gavaltron trying to get one over on Unicron despite constantly being outplayed and having the god tier bot in his head, Prime Megatron actually did that and came out on top - something that makes me respect and enjoy him even more as a character.

But I'll tell you who respects him even more than me or any of you reading this - mother fucking Soundwave. What do I have to do to get someone as loyal to me as Soundwave is to Megatron? This is the first time I've seen this dude fight and he shut that shit about leaving TronCon down real fast. Which makes me wonder, did he actually believe Starscream when he was trying to dispose of Megatron or did he think Scream was the more powerful fighter? It was nice to see Soundwave in action and I hope to see more of him whooping ass in the future.

The ending to this set of episodes is also not what I expected. Optimus reverting back to Orion Pax is both confusing and refreshing. I am a bit curious as to why his body didn't change back however. That said, I like that Megatron seized the opportunity. I'm also thankful that Megatron lasted out their deal in it's entirety. He promised his loyalty until the mutual benefit came to an end and as soon as Unicron was back in stasis, he made his move. The entire time I was saying over and over "Please don't betray them, please don't betray them" and he didn't. He kept his word just like Beast Machine's Megatron did to Rattrap. He even fought off the mind invasion of Unicron to do so and that's just awesome.

All the weather effects and actually seeing some of the human military in action helped the show feel a bit more alive for the brief time they were there but I have a feeling I might not hear a whole lot about the world ending come season two.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of content (4 episodes in one go is quite a lot) and I look forward to talking it out with you all. As previously mentioned, I'm going to be taking the rest of this week off from the blog and will kick off Season 2 next Monday. I'm pretty sure the next three episodes tie in with this arc but I'm not sure I'll see them all in one sitting since it's proving to be a chore to find that much time. We'll see.

Be sure to leave your thoughts below. Thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 11
  6. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad you're enjoying!:) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    One thing I loved about Prime wad how they never forget. Events in this episode have an imacpt up until the end.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I can't remember much of this besides that it was good or at the very least pretty okay.

Pretty much my only griefs are technical ones. The big one is why is this prophecy ass-pulled so late into the season and not mentioned before? It's such a big deal, it's not like you didn't know when it was coming. I think it would've built up the intrigue and gravitas a lot more if it was hinted at during the season in small asides with this being the "oh, so that's what they were talking about" moment. It reminds me too much of the painful ending to Beast Wars where suddenly, without prior mention, a prophecy is revealed and immediately takes place after its first mention. Although in BW, that stupidity was because a completely different writer was brought on for vapid reasons. It bugs me that the Prime writers weren't more dilligent considering they're trying to take this very seriously and the show generally aspires to be more grandios.

That, and John Noble as Unicron. Now, Noble is nothing short of a wonderful actor with a chilling voice (when he wants, he can also be cheerful and warm) and casting him as Unicron was fucking brilliant, but sadly much like Cullen and several VAs on this show, his performance is utterly unremarkable. He sounds like Grandpa dong a big bad wolf voice, cartoonishly booming and inflated instead of a sinister, sociopathic manipulator tone he's done in previous works. (I was expecting Walternate or summit for what is basically the Transformers devil) He just sounds kinda... silly, and the way the character is so quickly introduced and dispatched makes him feel like a B-rate one-shot villain than the Chaos Bringer himself.

I think my favourite part is the Optimus vs. Megatron fight. It was a cool fight, but felt like it lacked a bit of a kick. Megs and Optimus have had very little screentime together in this show and what they have had has been pretty typical. It just kinda lacks that dynamic of the two different characters when they're both pretty stoic and flat personality-wise. It's not dickish, goading Megatron versus the dry-wit of idealistic Optimus, it's just two brick walls chucking canned prose at each other during a visually exciting but emotionally lacking fight. Other than that I can hardly remember much of this ep besides the really cool visual of Unicron's eye looking back inside himself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    One Shall Fall is probably my second favorite episode, but yes, Unicron and the Covenant coming out of nowhere is still a legitimate gripe. And we're assuming that in the movies, Earth formed around Unicron the same way it did in Prime, but that's another story. One thing this move does is prevent scale issues, as Unicron only directly interacts with the cast via avatars. No Unicron picking up a city sized Galvatron to eat him.

Anyway, yes, this should've been foreshadowed from day one. Maybe have Optimus reading the Covenant a few times during the season, only being called out once along the lines of "he's looking at that passage again, odd". Or maybe we could've seen like a small lava flow of Dark Energon, or like a flash of Unicron during Megs' flashback during Out of His Head. Just something to help set this stuff up.

As for the rest of the three/four parter, Part One is alright. Part Two is mostly just talking but the Autobots do need to talk this out. Part Three is easily the weak point. Just shooting at generics.

Optimus vs Megatron is... like Split said, exciting, but lacks a certain emotional punch. The rest of OSF I liked because of the feeling of the approach of the apocalypse. I dunno, I like the sense of foreboding I get when something big is coming, even though in this case it only happened in this episode. And at least Beast Wars also had to deal with a somewhat sudden cancellation looming. Otherwise I have faith that the Covenant and prophecy would've been introduced better.

I really enjoyed June's chewing out of the Autobots and for once, Optimus stirred me a little emotionally in this scene. That line where he addresses June and says he's failed the kids. I dunno. As cardboard as this Optimus is, that moment of speaking to June as something slightly resembling a parent to parent talk hit me. I dunno why, I know I'm too sentimental for my own good, but whatever. Really enjoyed that scene and especially for June reacting like a normal parent would and even shutting down Optimus.

Soundwave's effortless takedown of Airachnid was cool. Unicron appearing in the volcano was kinda cool. Unicron's eye was cool. The moment when they listened for the heartbeat I liked.

Orion should know Megatron is evil because Megatron turned quite some time before Orion became Optimus.

Other notes:

* Animation is definitely improving by this point.
    * Ratchet's "the past ALWAYS matters!", I liked.
    * The takedown of Unicron was lame. Optimus does a Care Bear stare according to TF Wiki with another "darkest hour". Blegh.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    As someone who hasn't seen Prime in ages, reading this thread and going "oh yeah that happened" has been an interesting experience. I barely remember a single thing about Prime Season 1, so I haven't really had anything to say.

Anyway, the biggest problem (IMO) with One Shall Stand is that the stakes are weirdly, too high. Like, the Transformers defeat Unicron, who is basically the Satan of TFs, in this episode, so because of that at no point in the entire rest of the show do the stakes ever feel as high as they do here. So what if Megatron wants to cyberform Earth? The Autobots have defeated the literal Devil! Because of this I feel that having Unicron would have been better as a series finale than a season finale.

Still though, there was at least a good setup for the next season with the Orion Pax arc. Wonder how CaptainSlayer will respond to that since i know that storyline had a very mixed reaction.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing:
    Her name's Lindsay Ellis. She made a great series of film essays regarding the Transformers movies on Youtube. They're fantastic and you should totally check them out.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CaptainSlayer

I imagine if someone cried about a doomsday prophecy all day they wouldn't get invited to very many parties. Just look at Heimskr.

[​IMG]

Despite my fondness of human characters, I didn't care for June talking to the Autobots like that. I understand it's the whole worried mom angle but I still feel like I'd feel safer with all these massive machines protecting me and my hypothetical children.

I'd almost forgotten about the heart beat scene. That was very cool and the eye I thought was just some observation equipment or something. Was it his literal eye? If so, that kind of puts his scale much higher than I realized.

Don't feel bad. There's a lot of stuff I can't remember about G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Animated already. My wife and I were trying to remember the name of the bird lady from Wars that Tigatron became a star with and simply couldn't. Sometimes in entries people would be like "How did you not know that when X did Y back in Z?" and I'm just like :tumbleweed: 

I'm interested to see how the Orion Pax story goes since as someone else said, he should have already known Megatron was an enemy since he betrayed him before becoming Optimus Prime.

Basically, I'm just in to have a good time and so far it's been a fun ride minus an episode or two. I also know that something to do with the Predacons happens later in the show which I'm hoping isn't a massive let down. :p 

Lindsay Ellis, yup, that's her. I actually think I saw those videos and bookmarked them but haven't had the time to go back. When I watched the video with Andre she seemed very knowledgeable on the topic of Transformers, particularly Prime. In fact, that review video is what got my interest in Prime up enough to do this blog. I liked her, she was fun to watch but then I logged on here for some movie discussion and saw people ripping into her calling her all sorts of rude names and generally speaking with spite.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Oh don't get me wrong, I know that June and the kids are safer with the 'bots. But the thing is that June doesn't have much reason to at that point. Raf was nearly killed and their medic almost couldn't do a thing about it to save him, and out of self-admitted disdain for the humans. When Optimus says he failed, he's right. He failed to protect the kid from a threat he even admits he should have put down a long time ago (Ratchet's chewing out did something after all). So yes, I agreed with June and felt that from her perspective, the Autobots weren't making a convincing argument that they could protect the kids.

Plus you know, June didn't know about the natural disasters outside yet.

Maybe as someone close to my mother, who got my world shattered when I saw the lengths she was willing to go to in order to provide for me and my siblings, I empathize with June especially because she reminds me a lot of my mother. Like I said, too sentimental for my own good. But I love that moment when Optimus actually does something and speaks to her parent to parent and doesn't disagree with her.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Back when the show was first getting press, it was touted as being something that would explore 'what it means to be a Prime' - so when Prime went Pax, everybody thought the show would actually start following up on that promise, with Prime slowly having to work back his memories into truly befitting the role of Prime.

All I'll say here, to avoid spoilers, is watch the next three episodes back-to-back. It's a three-parter but I think you'll understand why I want you to do this once you've seen the whole thing.

14. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    I can't wait unitll you watch the next 3-parter 'cause I need to rant about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    I'm one of the few people who didn't mind the upcoming 3-parter. But I completely understand why a lot of people don't like it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're up to Pax 3 Parter?Nice.

17. CaptainSlayer

Orion Pax (I, II, III)

Well, after reading some of your recent replies to the thread I hate to disappoint but I absolutely loved this trilogy of episodes.

A ton of awesome things happened, Starscream showed back up, Fowler got a Han Solo reference, The insecticon whose name I don't know but have a mini figure of turned into a bad ass beetle, we got to see the Autobots without leadership, Optimus proved that he has a spark of gold even without his memories and there were some beautiful fight scenes. When Optimus' mask slammed shut at the end? Oh. Mmm. That's some good watchin'.

There were also some bits I didn't understand. Mainly how the hell Jack still has his job at the burger joint, that kid must run on no sleep at all between saving the world, working fast food and going to school. But also why Optimus/Orion Pax insisted on calling Megatronus Megatron, did he just insist to be called by his new name between the seasons or something?

I was reading a thread in the general discussion board the other day where the question "Who is the most worthless transformers?" was asked and one of the first replies was "Prime Starscream". Now, I didn't comment on this thread out of fear of spoilers to Prime being given to me to back up their claim but up until this point of the show I have to disagree with that assessment. Prime Starscream is a bad ass. Yes, the dude is a coward and yes he is deceitful but he does it so damn well. He has some of the most brutal kills in the show and the way he just merced those two 'red bots' was bliss after his absence. I also love how quick he was to be open with Optimus and I once again found myself against the Autobots when they planned to leave him for dead. I don't know why, the guy is evil, but his survival matters to me and I don't think Optimus would have left him wounded there so long as he wasn't a threat.

We also get to see Cybertron up close and personal and until this point I never really realized the damage done to the planet. Whenever they would show it I was left thinking "So.... they just turned the lights off?" but that's not the case at all. The place has been obliterated. Unfortunately, in the midst of all the beauty through destruction we run into more of those creepy Scraplets who still make my skin crawl and watching them tear that Insecticon apart made me feel awful... I think this might be the first show that has me feeling for the bad guys... well, minus the original movie when they're just getting thrown out of the ship like paper weights.

Once again, watching all three back to back proved useful in that it gave me a complete story but also hurtful in the blog in that I'm unable to remember every detail. I remember things popping up that I wanted to mention and now my mind is drawing a blank. One of them was how cool it was that you could see Optimus' reflection in Megatron's sword in that one scene but there was so much more than that.

Jack has earned mad respect. I'm surprised the scraplets didn't attack him because that kid has balls of steel to go to an alien planet, run up to a massive transforming beetle challenging him and to also just go in this deep dark tunnel that you have no idea what it is or where it goes. Raph also drove an RC car towards a space bridge... so he's got that going for him. OH! Miko also stayed put for once. So someone mark the calendar for that one.

Lastly, I have to mention once again that it's always a treat to see Ratchet in action and this episode is no different. Even though Megatron tore through the three of them (including Bulk) like butter it was satisfying to see them working together.

I -think- that's it for now. I'm sure I'm about to see multiple posts tearing into this episode with huge analysis that I had no concept of prior to my viewing and that's what I love about doing this. You guys and girls manage to bring new things to light for me that may not sway my opinion but absolutely shift my thought process moving forward. Just like how I thought the Bayfilms were Transformers Gospel at one point in time ;) 

As always, thank you for reading. Have a wonderful evening and I look forward to seeing your replies!

• Like Like x 6
  18. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    I actually do like the three parter, especially the Cybertron scenes. It's what they do with Optimus that pissed me off. When he reverted back to Orion Pax, I was excited at first, but nothing came of it. I was hoping the experience would, I dunno, give Prime some character development. Chane him. Maybe humanize him a bit. But he's exactly the same character as Orion and when he changes pack to Optimus he's still the same bland, boring character. His First Edition Voyager is my favorite Optimus toy, but I do not care for him on the show.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

It's the last five minutes of the third episode that are critical - the forced reversion of Prime so he has his memories back and completely negates any repercussions of him having to ever lose them to put Unicron down in the first place.

I mean, sure, it's the end of a cartoon multi-parter and they had to wrap it up, and then there's the shit Pax did on Project Iacon...but Prime doesn't show any real change in character from the experience. It's pretty much a soft reset to the status quo and throwing out a completely novel idea of an amnesiac Prime. I mean, literally the only thing they did with Amnesia Optimus was have him do some decrypting before simply restoring him back to normal with the mother of all Deus ex Machina objects in the franchise.

• Like Like x 5
  20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    What exactly made Pax and Prime different, personality-wise? Was it just that Pax was an idiot who believed anything you told him? He was the same dishwater-boring Optimus with a different name, fucking around with a computer. Also, Optimus had no hand in returning to normal. He learned nothing, accomplished nothing, and his stint as Pax will have no bearing on him in the future. It was an entirely pointless sequence.

This also makes me wonder... just what has Megatron been doing this whole time? Because he wasn't decrypting Project Iacon himself, and he certainly didn't plan on Optimus becoming Pax. For such an all-powerful ruler, he does just about fuck-all as leader of the Decepticons.

And now... the scavenger hunt really begins.

I'm worried how much Cap will suffer once he realises Starscream becomes a snivelling, spineless coward kissing Megatron's ass because life on his own was just too gosh dang hard. All that talk of independance, self-realization, asserting one's own identity. Nah, it's hard to find food so might as well go grovelling back and never even attempt to usurp control again. What's character development? And don't even get me started on the Clone Army... What a waste of a TFA ripoff homage.

Because he's such an entertaining character in these episodes. You want him to win, you want him to finally become that cunning, power-lusting Starscream because it's so hard for him to do it. He struggles more than anyone in this show, and it's a struggle to make himself great. He's not the super-powerful, infinitely resourceful TFA Starscream, but he desperately wants to be. The fact that he has so many sides, such as humility and self-awareness, makes him feel that much more human.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 7