Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    There is an interview with Peter where he talks about getting ready to go audition for Optimus Prime, and his brother tells him "Be strong enough to be gentle". Peter said he's always remembered that when he does Optimus, and I'm sure that is why he did not like some of the things he's had to say in the movies.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I think the reason they gave was that they couldn't decide on what animation to use for episode titles to appear. As in they couldn't decide on how the title would appear on screen. I can't be wholly certain, though, but I faintly remember that being something akin to the reason. Seems kinda silly if that was the case, all they had to do was have the title appear on screen same as their other opening credits in the episode.

3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

T.M.I

Alright, alright, I'll bite.

This episode combined with Bulkhead's reference to the Fallen last episode are clearly easter eggs to the second live action film 'Revenge of the Fallen' with Bulky spitting out cybertronian equations and writing them down wherever he can. I'm assuming the air date was around the same time?

I enjoyed this episode and thought it had a unique premise but I am beginning to worry if Raph is still with us, I mean, I haven't seen that little guy in ages and here's Bulkhead and Miko getting their seven hundredth featured episode. :p 

To be honest, I can't think of much to say on today's episode. It was fun, it had cool scenes, a good story and Bulkhead got to be Cyclops for a few seconds. I am curious if Megatron would have taken Optimus Prime up on his offer if Miko hadn't screwed things up and even more curious if Optimus would have followed through with his end of the bargain and given Megatron the artifact back with its charge.

Other than that, I'm sure you lot can bring up a few pointers for us to talk about.

As always, thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 8
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The shit that spewed from Bulkhead's mind toward the end of the episode?

Never mentioned again in the whole show.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    This episode was very boring to me. It didn't really develope or put the characters in any interesting situations or even give them a real heart-to-heart. Brainy Bulkhead was a waste because he just did a low-key ROTF Sam bit and didn't really do anything. It's a waste of a "dumb guy goes smart" episode. I feel like if this Bulkhead was more like TFA Bulkhead, this could've been an opportunity to learn something about the character. Like he's only able to express himself vocally now that he has an increased vocabulary and self-awareness, and we discover some aspect of him. But there really is nothing to Prime Bulkhead as a character, he's just a normal guy who talks and acts normal, so there's nothing to really find out.

Also, it points out yet another difficulty Prime has, and that's dialogue. Miko's little speech at the end is so, so awkward to hear. Why a character like that would suddenly turn so profound in her dialogue reeks of these not being characters so much as different frames of mind, so any time a character gets serious, they default to the same flowery, verbose way of speaking. It's very clunky and unnatural.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CaptainSlayer

Should I consider this a spoiler? I feel like a lot of people have pointed out that things that happen never come up again. It kind of ruins my anticipation for the show but also saves me from disappointment, I guess?

I don't even remember the speech if that helps. I watched this episode with my wife and at the end when Miko strums the guitar and Bulkhead wakes up making noise and yelling "I love that song!" I was like, "That was a single chord?" and my wife was like "Yeah, I was going to ask what song."

• Like Like x 3
  7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Actually that stuff spewed from Bulkhead's mind does get mentioned later, if you wanna get technical. Whether it means anything? Eh, I dunno. Don't wanna say too much for spoilers.

* I thought it was kinda cool that Knock Out was personally fighting Optimus hand to hand in this episode. Also thanks to scheduling hiatuses, this was the first time we'd seen Knock Out since May 2011 (this episode was released in August 2011). So nah this episode wasn't released around the time of ROTF.
    * Knock Out, Breakdown and Bulkhead's banter ("say uncle!") I found kinda funny.
    * Pretty egregious that Breakdown didn't seem to recognize Bulkhead's vehicle mode.
    * Loved that part where Megs calls Breakdown a one-eyed buffoon. :lol  and poor Breakdown, still on thin ice after being captured by MECH and losing the Polarity Gauntlet, worriedly goes "oh, no, Master!"
    * Yeah, Raf is easily the least focused on of the main human cast.

Next episode is my all time favorite of Prime, and contains one of my favorite Transformers scenes ever.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Ah. I must have given up on the show by then.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Ah yes, next episode is... Interesting.

10. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Bulkhead mentioned that Synthetic Energon disproved Perceptor's paradox. I thought it was a nice reference to name-drop Perceptor. Even Bulkhead's reference to The Fallen in the last episode was nice.

Anyways, the next episode was another one of my favourites.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    T.M.I. had ... moments. It's an OK episode, it just doesn't do much for me either.

I'll say this, rewatching Prime season 1 with you guys, this season still holds up remarkably well. Even the "down" episodes like T.M.I. still keep me coming back for the next episode.

Home stretch here for season 1!

• Like Like x 2
  12. CaptainSlayer

I actually didn't catch the Perceptor name drop!

I'm glad you're enjoying it Matty! It's nice to share the experience with a group of fans and I often here it serves as a good reason for them to revisit the franchise series that they love - it's a win/win!

As a note to everyone,

Either this Friday or Saturday, I'll be doing the Season 1 finale series in one sitting. Then, I'll be taking a week or so off before moving into Season 2!

• Like Like x 1
  13. CaptainSlayer

Stronger, Faster

In today's episode - Ratchet injects himself with Transformer steroids, refers to himself as Doctor Doom and permanently scars the face of a working class Decepticon civilian!

The continuation of Monday's episode is appreciated and when I initially saw the synthetic energon I assumed that we weren't going to get an explanation of how the complete formula was acquired but thankfully Ratchet confirms that he's basically winged it into existence.

Ratchet, being my favorite autobot of all time, is always a joy to watch regardless of what's going on but every time I get to see him in combat I get giddy. The combat I saw today was on an entirely new level and I found myself rooting for him even as he became more of a jerk and succumbed to roid rage over time.

Not once in my time with the Transformers franchise have I ever thought I would get to see Ratchet punch Megatron in the face. I also never though I'd get to see him using Jazz's break dance fight style on a horde of Decepticons but to see him actually sock Megs in the mouth -and- knock him back is so, so very satisfying.

Megatron follows up by punishing Ratchet which puts the con's power into perspective but as I was watching him wound our favorite medic I found myself thinking about only one thing - how fucking strong is Optimus Prime to take and dish out blows to Megatron like it's nothing? That guy clearly doesn't need green go-go juice to make himself formidable!

This episode also focused on the fact that the Autobot's really are outnumbered and out resourced in this skirmish on Earth. Knowing that their energon reserves had seeped so low that they were willing to utilize synthetic, bot made substitutes screams of desperation and innovation. It also allowed for Arcee to act stupidly during the pursuit of Breakdown and Knock Out without being judged. Even though she knew they were low on supplies, that only further fueled her desire to acquire the cargo of the cons despite the knowledge that if she got injured they wouldn't be able to patch her up.

Which actually reminds me, did she ever get medical attention? I'm actually curious because I don't remember seeing it in the episode.

My only gripe about this one is that they expect me to believe that a tiny drop of the synthetic energon is enough for the Decepticon's to make it work. Never mind the fact that Ratchet sprawled out on the floor a second time leaking another puddle Knock Out could gather unless the Autobots conveniently mopped up before bridging back to base - which for some reason Bumblebee was walking back through with them at the end even though he was supposed to be back at HQ operating the ground bridge. Yeah, I caught you continuity error. It feels good. It reminds me of all the times I pointed out the comedic flaws in my G1 blog. Seriously, the first season of that show was a field day of me pointing out things that were screwed up - it was wonderful.

Today was a fun ride that made me appreciate the dire situation the Autobots are placed in and the level head Optimus Prime carries to not back hand Ratchet when he got all mouthy. I also gained a lot of respect for Ratchet when he conceded to Optimus despite being drugged up but then lost it as he came veering back out of the portal. Still, I love the guy and seeing him kick ass will never get old.

I plan on finishing up Season One this week and then taking a week or so off before moving into Season 2 so my posting dates might get a little bit funny over the next few days. I noticed the next episode is titled "One shall fall" before the final multi-parter "One shall rise", are these meant to all be viewed at once or should I watch the first one tomorrow or Friday and then the final multi-parter Friday or Saturday?

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this entry or any others, give my original post a 'like' for no reason other than it makes me feel all happy inside. :) 

See you soon!

• Like Like x 8
  14. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

Nice detail: At one point they show read-outs of each Autobot's energy levels and Ratchet's are muuuch lower than everyone else's. (Presumably because he usually stays at base so energon is prioritized for the warriors.) No wonder the poor guy is normally so grumpy.

This was a great episode, my favorite bits being Knock Out assuming Ratchet is "a new Autobot" because Ratchet shows up so seldom and Megatron's reaction after being punched by Ratchet. I love the fact that Megatron doesn't rant, doesn't hesitate, doesn't even threaten, he's just like "Okay then . . . let's go."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus mediocre meme man

This episode is definitely my favorite of the ones I can remember pre-
    Shockwave
    probably because it blends some of the depressing realities of the Autobots' situation with wise-cracking, unstable Jeffery Combs Ratchet. Prime Ratchet is one of my favorite characters both from the show and possibly the entire series
    alongside Prime Shockwave!!!!!!!!11!!!11
    and his performance was and is entertaining as all hell to watch. Additionally, I have no idea if we've chosen the same scene, but both Chopperface and I both have a favorite scene from this one. Just pointing that out.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Optimus giving Ratchet shit for face-sizzling the miner always bugged me, because he says they're non-combative. Ummmm... didn't you guys mow down scads of these mooks in the very first episodes, Arcee even twisting one's head off with her feet in an unecessarily cruel and painful way? Why now are we trying to paint these guys as somehow innocent or coerced when 1. they're basically clones or drones they're so generic and 2. you've killed tonnes of them before? In fact, does Prime himself not totally wreck some miners himself this very episode? It's yet another example of the arbitrary, backwards morals of the Prime Autobots. Why was the issue not simply "don't torture people even bad guys." Why try and up the ante of Ratchet's bad behaviour by making up some new rule the show has never and will never follow again?

Sadly I remember little else from this episode, except for the fact that this was the one where I really caught on that Optimus is freaking dull as hell. Ratchet is acting like crazy, so animated and just oozing character in his hightened, synth-en state, and Optimus is dull as a stump talking to him. See, the show is utterly terrified of depicting Optimus in a negative light, so he is completely bland and emotionless. He never shouts, he never laughs, he never gets melancholy, he never gets distracted, he never gets angry or scared or anything. Not truely, not convincingly. His state of mind and demeanour is never in flux, even when the show wants you to think it is. Dude is a total robot, not to try and be cute, but he is. That, and this ep was about Ratchet, who was my favourite, but it wasn't really about him as himself so it's not really a "Ratchet" episode.

As it so happens, the original draft of this ep included a scene where Ratchet overstepped his bounds even further and brought up Optimus' dead girlfriend as one of his failures, causing Optimus to actually become human for an instant and sock Ratchet when that particular button was pushed.

Shame, would've been nice to see Optimus not always safe and sound up on his high horse. Presumably it was cut because it was interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Stronger, Faster is a special episode for me personally because as I've mentioned, I played Ratchet in an RP on Formspring and still do from time to time. The character is so special to me, and I can easily slip back into Ratchet like a comfortable pair of shoes. So it was amazing to finally get a Ratchet focused episode and one in which he kicks so much ass, and where he really outlines how up the creek the Autobots are.

Jeffrey Combs is my favorite actor on this show and man does he give it his all during the argument with Optimus, which was indeed my favorite scene of the episode, the series, and one of my favorite Transformers scenes period. To hear Ratchet, ever the Autobot loyalist, really ripping into Optimus and letting out a bunch of baggage he'd clearly been holding back was amazing. It felt cathartic to go after Optimus who has been such a boring, apathetic presence on the show since it's inception. Ratchet got my blood boiling right alongside his own boiling Energon. And that really terrific below the belt line - "Just ask Cliffjumper - oh I forgot! He couldn't be here today!" Man. Without spoilers, this argument does have some big ramifications in the future, coming sooner than you think. Alas, this is really one of if not the only major instance of any real dissension amongst the Autobots in the show and man did they knock it out of the park.

Other notes:

* Knock Out mistaking Ratchet for a new Autobot is amusing and also just a little intriguing continuity note since he's never encountered him before in the field.
    * The animation was really, really pretty during the middle portion of the episode when they're out and about and during the argument.
    * Also thought that was a funny note that Breakdown is interested in Airachnid. Again, more subtle development for one of the show's more subtle, understated characters as he's just minding his own business. And aww, he signaled for the Steve to hoof it.
    * This was another episode that aired during an American hiatus so we didn't know the title of this episode, either.

One Shall Fall is basically Part 0 of the three part season finale. It was another one that aired in Canada in late August 2011, but the next episode didn't air anywhere until October (and MAN what a hiatus that one was).

• Like Like x 2
  18. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Funny enough, Mairghread Scott admitted that in an earlier draft for this episode, Ratchet was supposed to go more in depth when lecturing Optimus about not taking out Megatron sooner. He was supposed to say something along the lines of "Where's Elita now?" implying that she died during the war. Optimus would have lost his cool and in turn clock Ratchet in the face. The scene was cut because the story editor didn't want Optimus to loose his cool in the scene.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Sadly it's development that goes nowhere, means nothing, and changes nothing.

Yeah, I amended my post with that bit because I had to check my facts, but I just want to say it was a mistake. Optimus never loses his cool, not in any real human way, and it spoils the character. He's always stalwart, always squeaky clean. Him showing an emotional response to an insult preying on past trauma (and by a trusted friend no less) would've been so much towards painting more of a picture of this guilt-ridden, emotionally repressed wall who is merely tough, not invincible.

He wouldn't have been right for punching Ratchet, but that's the point. He would've been wrong for giving in and he would've had to deal with that. (likewise the Autobots would have to, for once, not look unto him with glowing adoration) It also would've shown how toxic and damaging Ratchet's new persona was if even the great and infallible Optimus could be pushed so far.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah I was gonna say that too but I refrained to avoid spoilers. Forgot about spoiler tags. :lol  Real shame, that. Can you imagine the dates they would've had?