Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    TFA made an art out of mixing and applying the sound to just about everything. They messed with the pitch and speed and distortion.

Prime had exactly one sound file they played unaltered for 99% of the show and it stuck out to me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Autobot

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Hell, even the movies use different sounds for each character. Megatron has his own distinctive transformation noise used in all the movies except for 4.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Operation: Breakdown

I think we're in Chernobyl. This has to be Chernobyl right? I know there's a brief mention of the name of the place which I didn't catch but I totally think it's Chernobyl but destroyed by a volcano instead of a nuclear reactor because maybe that makes kids feel safer somehow? I don't know. Regardless, either way, very cool aesthetic for the episode.

After the disappointing Monday show today put things back on track in terms of excitement and enjoyment. I absolutely love Breakdown and to see him and Bulkhead going at it with everything they've got in the first minute of the episode is a great way to kick things off.

Mech, I'd pretty much forgotten about. Well, I don't want to say forgotten since I immediately remembered who they were but I haven't thought about them since their introduction episode. Hell, when the helicopters came flying in I thought it was Agent Fowler and his gang coming to save Bulkhead.

I have always been and will always be a fan of the 'team up' plot line. I love seeing good guys and bad guys put aside their differences to work together for a common goal and this episode is no different - except it is. Bulkhead had absolutely no desire to help Breakout and only went for it when Miko gave him the same type of motivation that Bumblebee gave Megatron when convincing him to save Optimus Prime, you've got to be the one to take him out.

Shout out to Bulkhead for following his instincts and tracing the tracks after coming in on the ground bridge by the way. Ratchet and the others did the right thing by following the signal but if Bulkhead wouldn't have just followed the clue laid out in front of him, none of them would have found their fellow Transformer.

Second shout out to Agent Fowler for finally getting to catch some sleep even though he does it with his eyes kind of open which is mad creepy. The five headed King Kong was pretty dope.

I imagine they deactivated Breakdown's pain receptors not because they wanted to have mercy on a con but because they wanted the show to remain kid friendly. I do like how they had Silas state that it was so he could watch the entire thing take place without making too much noise, that's pretty dark.

My absolute favorite scene of the day was Bulkhead and Breakdown working together to destroy all those Mech guys. A reminder that humans are totally dying in this show as their helicopters are blown up by tossing cars with them still in it at each other. The two of them are absolute tanks and the devastation they can cause by working together is wonderful.

I also appreciate that Starscream came for Breakdown. I didn't expect it, though I did notice that the Mech motion sensor showed more than four dots when they announcing approaching enemies. The scene with Starscream admitting to Breakdown's importance while Megatron dismissed him completely got me -back- on the side of Scream being the better leader though I guess in a way I can also see it as a test of strength by Megatron.

I am torn on Breakdown's reaction however. I'm thankful that the writers didn't simply have him join up with the Autobots and go about his merry business. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved that but it's something I've seen time and time again. Here, Breakdown refuses to show mercy and proves that he is a Decepticon through and through - ruthless and powerful. At least, that's what I think he was doing. He could have simply been putting on a show for Starscream so he wouldn't get both Bulkhead and himself slagged right then and there...

Whatever the case may be, today's episode was wonderful and I adored it. It showed team work among enemies and focused on my two favorite power houses from Prime thus far. Let's hope the streak keeps up!

Thanks for reading everyone!

• Like Like x 9
  4. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I remember the "eye horror" of this episode making me feel very squeamish. Amazing how much they got away with because the characters are "just" robots.

My interpretation was that Breakdown had, like, 70/30 odds of joining the Autobots, but then Starscream showed up and he decided to stick with that status quo.

I too love enemies being forced to team up! It's one of my favorite things.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I did like this episode when it came out, I think, and I like that it once again touched on the history of Breakdown and Bulkhead and future plot stuff between them. Ditto Starscream recruiting Breakdown in secret. Things will come to a head.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*sob*

Does make you wonder how they had any idea he had pain receptors, how to shut them off, or even that they could be shut off.

This and Breakdown's eye kinda show how Prime is mostly bark with little bite. Sure, it wants to be dark, but it flinches at the last moment and turns away from doing what it's clearly intending to do. Breakdown's getting, ahem, broken down, yet it doesn't seem to bother him too much. Yes, they explain why, but that's my point. The show has to hold itself back at the last moment because it rushes in and doesn't realise it's about to hit a wall. That and Megatron, well, doing absolutely nothing at all (remember when TFA Megs came back and immediately went on the offensive and even after he was beaten hatched a new plan right away? Well, Prime Megs is about as useful back in charge as he was in a coma) are about my only real gripes. It's a pretty straightforward episode about one of the better 'Cons, with as you said a team-up plot that doesn't happen often. (especially among lower-tier soldiers)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I know that feel bro. I know it only too well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Operation: Breakdown was a pretty solid episode especially when taken on its own. Like Cap said, the atmosphere and setting was cool, the two tanks going at it back to back was cool. I also liked that MECH surgeon for looking kinda imposing for all of his two seconds. And yeah disabling Breakdown's pain receptors was chickening out and illogical, but could get a pass when it comes to logic since they don't want to make too much noise... or at least have the added noise of Breakdown screaming alongside their machinery at work. Bleh.

Yeah :lol  I mean yeah there's a lot to gripe about with Starscream, but Steve Blum's acting isn't one of them :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  8. CaptainSlayer

Crisscross

I'm curious why some of our fellow forum users aren't fond of the Airachnid/Arcee plot line. A few have voiced their opinions by replying to this thread and while I respect their viewpoint I, so far, cannot agree with it.

This is the second time Black Arachnia's spiritual successor has showed up and it's the second time I've fallen in love with her. I'm a bit confused as to why MECH would only send four units to apprehend a Decepticon, I'm also a bit confused as to why their laser sights go right through a tree in the opening scene.

In Wednesday's entry, I mentioned that I'm a fan of the good guys and bad guys teaming up. I'm also a fan of multiple bad guys working together as we all know full well one group will take advantage over the other. This story is no different but it offers a unique asset to the familiar setup by integrating Jack's mother into the mix.

I got the same sense of happiness and excitement of her founding out about the Autobots that I did when Sam Witwicky's family discovered the truth in the bay films. It's fun to see Jack so caring about his mother to the point of him even telling her the truth about everything only to have Arcee leave him hanging during the confession (so -now- she knows how to stay hidden).

One thing this episode made me think on is something another user commented on earlier in the blog. The town that they live in feels extremely lonely. When Jack and Arcee are racing to the coordinates there is no one else on the road or in the streets at all, not even on the side walk. They pull up to this factory of sorts and when Fowler showed up with his team of helicopters and starts blasting Airachnid, no one in the city notices. I'm not entirely convinced the population is any more than the few characters we've seen so far in which case Jack's mom probably has some quiet nights at that hospital she worked at.

There was once again some beautiful settings in this episode. When Arcee and Airachnid are fighting it out with the moon illuminating their silhouettes, I got some serious Mortal Kombat II vibes. I don't share the sentiment some users do about their rivalry feeling forced or dulled down due to Cliffjumper's death in the beginning of the show. In fact, it's the rivalry I care the most about, possibly even more then Bulkhead and Breakdown but it's a pretty close race.

Also, completely off topic but is that not the quickest hardening concrete of all time that Airachnid got drenched in? And why did Jake wait for permission to pull the lever? The kid showed some great thinking by snatching Silas' radio early on but then throws all brownie points out the window by hesitating when he's needed the most. Yes, it still worked out but come on!

I feel like I'm forgetting a point or two that I wanted to touch on but this is a late entry for me and you guys have done wonderful jobs of bringing up anything I miss in the replies.

It's been another very fun week of Transformers: Prime episodes and I'm grateful I have an entire community to talk to about this show.

I know you guys and girls mentioned that each episode of Prime cost around a million dollars to make but could they really not afford to add a few extras in the background once in a while? Sorry, that's still lingering with me.

Oh! One more thing, Jack's mom took things very well and I hope to see more of her in the future.

Happy Friday everyone and as always, thanks for reading. I'll see you in the replies and Monday for our next entry.

<3

• Like Like x 9
  9. Autobot Burnout

I'm just going to say that you aren't going to really understand why the show is so heavily criticized and despised until S2. And believe me, it begins almost immediately at the start of S2.

Right now you're still in S1, which is the best season in my book because they had the liberty of building up to things for later.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Most people remember Airachnid exists when they're reorganizing their shelves and find her toy, sending them into a blind rage.

I kid of course. Nobody would put Airachnid's toy on a shelf.

The character's existence as "Blackarachnia without being Blackarachnia" is fairly obvious, but I don't mind it because Blackarachnia at this point has a lot of character traits that (probably because she's one of the more three-dimensional characters in the franchise) follow her from series to series. So I can see the logic behind wanting to make a new character rather than a new iteration of Blackarachnia that flies so far in the face of her previous counterparts.

I also think that newer (non-G1) characters get this treatment more than G1 characters (see the three major versions of Wheeljack) because of a fear of eschewing what made the new character popular. So like, now that Animated Bulkhead is quite popular (and this Prime version, well let's just say he was repping pistachios on network TV a few years back) you'll never see the name go to another hula-dancing elderly helicopter. He'll probably always be a big bulky olive green APC.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yup, most of Airachnids flaws are only evident in retrospect. Like enjoying a train ride until you realize the whole time it's been headed for a cliff.

To try and keep things non spoilerly about Airachnid, I just don't get what the point of Cliffjumper even was with her around. A toothless attempt at setting a tone the show never maintains, and establishing tragic angst for Arcee, and then goes ahead again and gives her more tragic angst that supposedly predates the first incident? Why? Why not just have Airachnid and Tailgate? It will cause a lot of annoying flip-flopping of Arcee, where she's constantly switching between nigh-identical subplots, sometimes even within the same episode. Answer me this: if Cliffjumper never existed, and Arcee never found out about his death, how would that have changed her character?

Plus, personally, I hate Airachnid as a character. She is so bland and trite it hurts, and every scene she's in feels like the writers trying to appeal to edgy adolescents instead of writing a strong character when they could've done both.

12. Reask

Reask Predacon

I won't say why the Airachnid/Arcee storyline gets hate but it is a bit of a simple reason which we'll get to later. And yeah it apparently costs too much for not only Autobot and Decepticon models but also Human models. That will look more obvious later on.

When I first saw this episode I loved it, there was a terrific sense of danger by having June being almost killed like that, made only more dangerous with only one Autobot in the fray. Not much else to say although I did find it odd that Spider bot transformed into a Chopper instead. :D 

13. Autobot Burnout

To be perfectly fair, that hula-dancing elderly helicopter was a Springer homage to begin with.

And

An apt metaphor for Prime as a whole, if I'm honest.

I think the writers put themselves into a corner when they decided Airachnid needed to be rivaled off onto Arcee nigh-exclusively, but all they ended up doing was copy-pasting the Cliffjumper death to give her angst. Like, it wasn't even some 'sole survivor of an otherwise eradicated unit by Airachnid's hand' kind of thing, all it was ended up being killing a white Cliffjumper almost exclusively just to piss off Arcee. And really, they actually can't do much with that dynamic. This will become painfully evident in S2 in so many, many ways with all characters involved.

He toy is complete shit too, which doesn't help when you consider how many better characters ultimately didn't get toys or had them pushed back to waves that barely, if ever, hit retail in time.

Though speaking of that bitch, I'm going to assume that Captain Slayer never located the Japanese version of Predatory, so I'll go ahead and reveal why I wanted him to see it so badly:
    Essentially, her VA does a high-pitched kaiwai schoolgirl voice, they cut out the scene showing off the decapitated heads in the spaceship, and best of all the script is altered so Airachnid only wants Jack to add him to her HAREM OF MEN. I'm not making any of that up!

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    She is constantly swooning and making comments about Jack-chan, some creepily sexual and overt. She also never shuts her fucking mouth. The nature of these Japanese dubs employs a lot of ad-libbing and often characters who clearly aren't talking in the animation are still happily rambling on despite that. :lol 

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Arachnid is an interesting character. These early episodes show she had a lot of potential, but perhaps it wasn't handled the best. I like the rivalry between her and Arcee, but once you start thinking in-depth about it, it kind of falls apart.

@CaptainSlayer, yup agree with you on the loneliness of the town. It's a lazy way of conveniently keeping robots "in disguise."

• Like Like x 4
  16. CaptainSlayer

Metal Attraction

Alright, this episode is just silly. I'll ignore the fact that June is clearly sexually attracted to Optimus Prime, because I mean who isn't, and go to the other pun of the episode title - it revolves around bots being stuck together.

This gave me some straight up Xiolin Showdown vibes with the obvious Shen Gong Wu gauntlet that everyone was fighting over. Don't get me wrong, the action scenes were enjoyable but the Airachnid/Arcee 'NO SHE'S MINE!' mentality crap is starting to get stale - you have team mates, freakin' use them.

My hopes of June being an enjoyable part of the team were also kind of dumped on since she just turned out to be a paranoid mess but I can't really say I blame her.

I don't know what this episode was trying to do. I guess it just served as a cheap way to get Airachnid back into the Decepticon fold? Oh and why the hell couldn't Bulkhead and Breakdown grab metal but then Bulk suddenly grabs Airachnid out of the sky?

I don't know. This episode was pretty meh. Here's to hoping Wednesday is better!

• Like Like x 6
  17. darkus Maximus34

darkus Maximus34 One shall DIE,one shall FLY

yeah,this episode sucks

• Like Like x 2
  18. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    Sadly, it gets worse when they try to cover up bigger events like you know what.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Don't forget the stupid fart joke and the fact that, despite being magnetized together, Arcee's limbs and head move freely instead of being plastered to Bulkhead like she logically should be. Basically the concept of magnetism gets beaten the fuck up this episode, even for Transformers. Miko's phone (which isn't wiped clean for some reason) and change, two non-magnetic things, are pulled away, but not her belt buckle or earrings.

Also, once again, Miko follows when she shouldn't have. And no, this will not be the last time.

If it's starting to get stale to you now, well, hunker down.

And unrelated, but fuck have I got some shit to say about next episode.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    I remember liking the next episode. Then again, it's been a while since I watched it so who knows what I think of it now until I watch it again.

• Like Like x 1