Bayformer Fan Watches Transformers: Prime [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Now guess who was the only Decepticon from the entire show not to get a proper toy in the Hasbro lineup.

This is not to say he didn't get a toy - Takara's Arms Micron figure is abso-fucking-lutely phenominal and does everything you could possibly want - his hammer turns into a RHINO which is awesome- and the only real flaw is that he's got a shitload of stickers, including a single large oddly shaped chrome sticker for the rear bumper that is PURE EVIL.

Paid $80 for mine once I tracked the fucker down. Worth every penny.

I wouldn't count the chickens before they hatch if I were you...

That's bullshit simply because you're implying that if Bumblebee's mind was stronger, he could overcome the physical inability to talk.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Plus with such a tech-heavy episode where Megatron's mind is literally downloaded, it's a pretty magical explanation that's, well, never explained.

Though that is my favourite part of the episode is the fact that it revolves around a plot point that works only because he characters are machines. A human-version would border on fantasy, but being that their minds are digitally stored and operate on CPUs means brain-sharing is as simple as it's described. Just hook 'em up via Cybertron-USB. Transformers have gradually been taking less and less advantage of the machine angle (of which Prime is occassionally, though not wholey, guilty of) and basically making them metal humans for a while now, sometimes to ridiculous extremes. I dig these kinds of plot ideas. (and built-in tools outside of medics)

• Like Like x 2
  3. TwitchingFool0

TwitchingFool0 Hated by many, liked by few.

I never realized how many people didn't like Arachnid. Guess i'm in the minority when it comes to really liking her.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I'm not sure mind over matter can apply when your voice box is busted?

As I've mentioned before, I'm aware that the show can get worse in quality moving forward but my statement here is to those who said the show never lived up to the original miniseries, which I disagree with - I feel the following episodes have been better in quality.

I'm right there with you brother.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I always assumed that crashed Autobot ship had revealed itself from erosion. I felt the scene set it up that way ... but then again I am assuming, which is exactly what @SPLIT LIP points out.

I had the same feelings originally watching this series. Each episode seemingly gets better. This two-parter is okay, but it still set up more exciting potential.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CaptainSlayer

I never considered it being uncovered over time. Now I'm imagining Jafar and Aladdin finding the ark instead of that huge tiger thing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CaptainSlayer

Shadowzone

Today's episode is the first that I'm not a fan of. The Ghostbusters crossing the streams plot line felt kind of forced to me and the entire thing felt like it was just filler.

That said, there isn't a whole lot to say about what happened today. I'm still not huge of the ZombieCons and I got excited to see Skyquake return since I'd pretty much forgotten about him by this point but I also expected him to be normal. I don't know why I expected that considering how Megatron raised an entire army of dead but I did. *shrug*

Also, the fact that a cell phone managed to send a text across dimensions is stupid. Oh and was Miko's ringtone the music that plays at the end of every FailArmy episode on YouTube?

Starscream and Knock Out don't seem to want to out each other to Megatron which might be a hint to them working together again in the future but other than that not a lot happened here today.

That's really all I have to say about today's episode. I wish there was more.

Thanks for reading and see you all next time!

• Like Like x 7
  8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yeah, Shadowzone was just incredibly meh, even to those who really like the show it's a really empty filler ep.

Also man, Arcee must be deaf and stupid to not hear the kids yelling about Miko running into the spacebridge. (which just so happened to stay open way longer than it needed to so she had plenty of time to run in, evne though it usually closes soon after everyone leaves) And Raf and Jack must just be plain old stupid to not, y'know, yell at Arcee to close the bridge. I feel like any number of less contrived ways could've been used to get her into the space bridge. Of course this also just shows how grating and annoying Miko is, that she's so oblivious and dumb as to constantly run into things that'll get her (and thus the Autobots) into trouble. It sure is convienient having an irrational, stupid child character on hand for instant drama, eh?

And no, she does not learn any lesson from this episode. Oh, and in one minor nitpick I totally admit is just my own opinion, but I hate the conversation between Starscream and Megatron. It's just so blunt. Like yeah, we get it, isn't it funny how Megatron is all fine now and Starscream's bed ridden? It'd be funnier if the imagery spoke for itself and we weren't blatantly told it in clunky dialogue.

Glad I'm not the only one. Zombies are pretty damn lame, and any decent story involving them isn't good because of them, but in spite of them. Usually zombies are used to show an unrelenting, overwhelming force in a society that has, or will soon collapse. Not as generic grunts.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Reask

Reask Predacon

Yeah a bit of a calmed down story after the two parter. Still feels like filler too. It was nice of them to remind us of Skyquake but the humans were unbelieveably stupid this time. Also I think this is the only episode where they refer to the Decepticon Warship by it's proper name: THE NEMESIS! After that it's just the boring ol' Decepticon Warship.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Which is a direct reference to Beast Wars where the name originated. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I think Shadowzone was the episode where a lot of people began to realize the show's well, imperfect. I mean they probably knew that beforehand in the way every show is, but I remember this being the turning point for a lot of people, where they kind of started to recognize the recurrent formula and how, well, lame, some of these episodes can be. I still think Season 1 is mostly good with a few wobbles, but I think Shadowzone was where people started to have real doubts. I mean there was Airachnid as well, but I remember the episode being pretty well received at the time, and it wasn't until the plot set up in that episode actually came into effect did people realize it set up a really unneeded angle to Arcee that was already covered with Cliffjumper's death, and only came to make that death cheapened in comparison.

• Like Like x 3
  12. darkus Maximus34

darkus Maximus34 One shall DIE,one shall FLY

next episode is one of my favs

• Like Like x 1
  13. CaptainSlayer

You basically covered exactly what was going through my head when the kids were running into the portal. I meant to touch on that in my entry but eh, you've got it covered. :p 

Considering how they handled Skyquake, I kind of wish they'd have left him buried. I don't really understand how he managed to get sucked into the shadow realm while the Autobots were fine either. At no point did he rise up and rush into the portal.

I loved Airachnid and am happy to see more of her. As said, this was the first episode I wasn't really a fan of. It was boring and forced.

Awesome. I hope to see you back tomorrow then. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Shadowzone was really a meh comedown episode after the mid-season game changer that was Sick Mind+ Out of His Head. The color palette being bland and brown also made it unremarkable. This episode will, however, have ramifications in quite a bit of Season 2.

Also there was apparently a deleted scene that they added back in for a script reading at Botcon 2011, where Fowler calls June (Jack's mother) and claims to be a Ghostbuster or some contrived reference to Ernie Hudson's old role.

I did find Starscream ranting at Knock Out over his arm apparently falling off funny, though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, wasn't his explanation that it literally just fell off? That was pretty funny.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Cool, glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Shadowzone episode is meh.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Only scenes that were redeeming in this episode was the scene with Megatron and Starscream at the beginning and of course any conversations between Starscream and Knock Out.

18. CaptainSlayer

I'd actually forgotten that Ernie Hudson played the role of Agent Fowler. I got the Ghostbusters reference with the ground bridge streams crossing and may have been able to appreciate the episode a bit more if Fowler would have been involved so I could have at least seen it as a homage to the movie but instead I got a really boring episode that made no sense.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    While we're in the lull right before another epiode update, I want to point out (since Shadozone is a good example) how unremarkable Prime is on a technical level. Now the CGI is exceptional, downright beautiful at times. Characters are fluid, the robots at least are rendered realistically, and the level of detail is really good considering it's a toy-shill children's show. It's the modern equivelant of BW back when it first aired. However unlike Beast Wars and Prime's predecessor Animated, I really gotta call foul on the sound design of this show. This show sounds so boring and uninspired, it can honestly suck the life out of a scene. All weapon sounds are minor variations (or sometimes not even variations at all) of the same pew-pew noise, all hits are the same two or three crashing/striking noises, every character has the same footfall sounds (as in Arcee, the smallest, will have the same heavy footsteps as Bulkhead when clsoe to the camera. Footsteps are only adjusted for distance, not the character) and ambient robot sounds. In TFA every character had a unique set of movement sounds, Bulkhead sounded large and clunky, Ratchet old and squeaky, Bumblebee small and almost toy-like, etc. I don't even think the Prime charatcer make noise when they move. (everyone's lubed up to the max)

But the biggest offender to me is the transformation sound. The transformation sound used almost entirely without variation. Now not everyone can be Beast Wars where every character's transformation sounded unique to the character, but TFA managed to take one sound and give it a million different inflections. Prime almost never changes the sound, and again, from tiny Arcee to lumbering Bulkhead to mighty Megatron, they all make the exact same canned sound. (very, very rarely a few extra clanking sounds will be mixed in for effect, but it's an exception)

This may seem minor, but I'm a firm believer that sound design is important, and that the lackluster sound is what often makes people feel detached and unexcited despite the normally high quality visuals.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    I just got done rewatching the series and it really bugged me how they used the same transformation noise for both modes instead of using a descending pitch for alt mode like G1 and Animated did.

• Like Like x 1